Log in:  

Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

27 Aug 2017 20:44

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Well, Floyd found someone he could finally KO, and collect even more money in doing so. Whew!

It was a TKO, which in my opinion is different than a straight up knockout. To me a knockout is defined by laying out on the canvas flat on your back (or in some other prone position) after being hit violently in the head. A TKO doesn't seem as violent but it's just as abrupt of an ending.

Mike Tyson used to knockout the lights, in stark contrast to Mayweathers "knockout" of Conar McGregor where the ref stopped the fight because McG stopped punching back for the last minute or so of the fight but still had his wits about himself but was so exhausted that he couldn't lift his arms and hit back.

In my opinion which is shared by many others, a KO and TKO are much different.

Conar McGregor was TKO'd.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,174
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

28 Aug 2017 00:21

Irondan wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Well, Floyd found someone he could finally KO, and collect even more money in doing so. Whew!

It was a TKO, which in my opinion is different than a straight up knockout. To me a knockout is defined by laying out on the canvas flat on your back (or in some other prone position) after being hit violently in the head. A TKO doesn't seem as violent but it's just as abrupt of an ending.

Mike Tyson used to knockout the lights, in stark contrast to Mayweathers "knockout" of Conar McGregor where the ref stopped the fight because McG stopped punching back for the last minute or so of the fight but still had his wits about himself but was so exhausted that he couldn't lift his arms and hit back.

In my opinion which is shared by many others, a KO and TKO are much different.

Conar McGregor was TKO'd.


And if it continued he would have been KO'd or been damaged pointlessly. The fight was done as McGregor wasn't protecting himself and his legs were gone.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

28 Aug 2017 16:14

kingjr wrote:It would be ridiculous to ask that of Mayweather. McGregor has boxed as a teenager (been All Ireland boxing champion at a point) and he has always boxed as part of his training, whereas I'm not aware that Mayweather has ever done anything except boxing.


McGregor never won any national boxing championship. He has no amateur record to speak of.
John de Savage
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 15 Nov 2015 15:16

28 Aug 2017 16:41

His father must have made it up then

"I saw him box loads of times, but I think it was a natural progression for him to move on to mixed martial arts in the end even though he had been an All Ireland boxing champion as a kid."

http://severemma.com/2014/07/father-and-son-tony-mcgregor-on-his-sons-meteoric-rise/
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,531
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

09 Sep 2017 20:05

So today the big CW tournament starts with Usyk vs Huck, Huck is past his prime and rather crude, so I pick Usyk to beat him. Overall CW is such an underrated division with many great fighters and the tournament could be great.
Today we also have two big super flyweight fights, the Chocolatito vs Wisaksil Wangek/Srisaket Sor Rungvisai rematch and Naoya Inoue vs Antonio Nieves. Inoue is a monster a maybe even better than Roman Gonzales, he only had 13 pro fights and already beat great fighters andd title holdders, but that's the japanese amateur system, their main focus is to produce great pros and not the best amateurs, their top fighters are usually ready to fight big names shortly after turning pro.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,603
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

14 Sep 2017 02:46

Golovkin vs. Alvarez? Hopefully it a good fight.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,403
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

14 Sep 2017 19:36

jmdirt wrote:Golovkin vs. Alvarez? Hopefully it a good fight.

Yes, it's kinda sad that Mayweather vs McGregor killed all the buzz for this one...
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,603
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

15 Sep 2017 22:13

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/14/floyd-mayweather-says-trumps-locker-room-talk-is-how-real-men-speak/

Floyd Mayweather says Trump’s ‘locker-room talk’ is how ‘real men speak’


Do we need a "real men" forum section? :lol:
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,135
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

17 Sep 2017 06:20

Interesting fight. I think Golovkin won in the middle rounds. Not the easiest fight to score. Canelo landed the biggest shots and had the better hand speed but Golovkin just kept working after losing the first few rounds. I was more impressed with Golovkin's chin than his punching and he was missing a lot but if you can fight at that pace at the age of 35 you are doing alright ! The judge that had the fight 118-110 for Canelo was seeing a different fight to me. i think Dave Moretti's score that had Golovkin winning by two rounds was fair. Canelo came back well in the late rounds but was only fighting in spurts and his best punches didn't seem to hurt Golovkin. Good fight but once again a controversial decision.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

17 Sep 2017 07:49

Yes, 7-5 for Golovkin seems fine for me. The fight being scored a draw isn't something outlandish, but scoring it 118-110 for Canelo is just bs.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,603
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

17 Sep 2017 12:00

Mayomaniac wrote:Yes, 7-5 for Golovkin seems fine for me. The fight being scored a draw isn't something outlandish, but scoring it 118-110 for Canelo is just bs.


Yes not the worst draw I have seen, not even close and at first reaction Golovkin didn't seem too concerned. The body language was interesting. To me I think Canelo thought he had lost. The main controversy will be over the scoring by one judge just like one judge had a ridiculous score in the Horn v Pacman fight.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

17 Sep 2017 14:55

Watch the Teddy Atlas rant and his rant with SAS:

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,403
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

18 Sep 2017 02:42

jmdirt wrote:Watch the Teddy Atlas rant and his rant with SAS:

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?


It's hard to watch him. Everything becomes a rant. He should stick to basketball.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

18 Sep 2017 15:25

Adalaide Byrd, the judge who scored it 118-110 (10-2 in rounds) for Canelo, has been “stood down”, which I guess means suspended, by the Nevada Boxing Commission. Byrd has apparently turned in some other highly questionable scorecards, in fights I’m not familiar with.

At first I thought she was the same judge who scored the first Pacquiao-Bradley fight for Bradley, and also scored the Mayweather-Canelo fight for Canelo. Those were comparably unfair decisions. But that was C.J. Ross, who to her credit, retired after the latter decision.

I feel a little sorry for GGG, not so much for the decision—it was a close fight, and a draw is not an outrageous result—but that he had to wait till he was 35, and probably in decline, to get this fight. A few years ago the fight almost certainly would not have been close, he would have won by KO. That would have been in part because Canelo hadn’t fully developed as a fighter, but the GGG of several years ago I’m pretty sure would have dominated even Alvarez as he is today. Canelo’s promoter, Oscar, following a tactic long used by those managing boxers, waited to make the match, knowing the older GGG got, the more the odds would turn in his favor. Assuming there is a rematch, the odds for Canelo should grow even more.

The same thing happened to another great middleweight recently, Sergio Martinez. For many years he couldn’t get a really good opponent. When he finally did, people realized how good he was, but he was so old at that point that his time in the sun didn’t last long. If he and GGG had been contemporaries, they would have made a great match.
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,162
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2017 20:17

movingtarget wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Watch the Teddy Atlas rant and his rant with SAS:

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?


It's hard to watch him. Everything becomes a rant. He should stick to basketball.


We basketball fans (or at least me) don't want him either. He's like what Al Pacino evolved to as an actor about 10 years ago: lots of yelling and hysterics (and I say this as true Pacino fan).
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,977
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2017 20:45

Angliru wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Watch the Teddy Atlas rant and his rant with SAS:

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?


It's hard to watch him. Everything becomes a rant. He should stick to basketball.


We basketball fans (or at least me) don't want him either. He's like what Al Pacino evolved to as an actor about 10 years ago: lots of yelling and hysterics (and I say this as true Pacino fan).

Teddy owned that guy, it's always a pleasurre to watch Teddy when he's passionate about something.
His fireman speech to Bradly in the fight Brandon Rios after the 7th round is just awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq2figwIX9s
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,603
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2017 08:42

Angliru wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Watch the Teddy Atlas rant and his rant with SAS:

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?


It's hard to watch him. Everything becomes a rant. He should stick to basketball.


We basketball fans (or at least me) don't want him either. He's like what Al Pacino evolved to as an actor about 10 years ago: lots of yelling and hysterics (and I say this as true Pacino fan).


It's stupid and most people just tune out anyway. He's even worse when someone disagrees with him.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54


21 Sep 2017 17:15

Whoa! Didn’t see this coming—P4P king Andre Ward is retiring:

“I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there,” the statement titled “Mission Accomplished” said. “If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting.”


https://sports.yahoo.com/pound-pound-boxing-king-andre-ward-announces-retirement-161209592.html

Boxers frequently “retire”, only to return after some time off (Mayweather and Pacquiao, e.g.), and it’s possible Ward will do that; he’s 33, probably close to his physical peak, and could look forward to at least several more years as an elite boxer. OTOH, this is a good time to go. He’s 32-0, with probably his most defining two fights his most recent ones, the wins over Kovalev. He certainly has nothing left to prove, and it appears the only challenges left for him would be to move up in weight. He did speculate about fighting heavyweight, but there are many in that division he couldn’t beat. Also, of course, the sooner a boxer retires, the better his future health prospects are.
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,162
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re:

21 Sep 2017 22:00

Merckx index wrote:Whoa! Didn’t see this coming—P4P king Andre Ward is retiring:

“I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there,” the statement titled “Mission Accomplished” said. “If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting.”


https://sports.yahoo.com/pound-pound-boxing-king-andre-ward-announces-retirement-161209592.html

Boxers frequently “retire”, only to return after some time off (Mayweather and Pacquiao, e.g.), and it’s possible Ward will do that; he’s 33, probably close to his physical peak, and could look forward to at least several more years as an elite boxer. OTOH, this is a good time to go. He’s 32-0, with probably his most defining two fights his most recent ones, the wins over Kovalev. He certainly has nothing left to prove, and it appears the only challenges left for him would be to move up in weight. He did speculate about fighting heavyweight, but there are many in that division he couldn’t beat. Also, of course, the sooner a boxer retires, the better his future health prospects are.


Good decision. He should have some money and the family is on his mind not to mention his health.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jsem94 and 5 guests

Back to top