Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

22 Sep 2017 03:05

Merckx index wrote:Whoa! Didn’t see this coming—P4P king Andre Ward is retiring:

“I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there,” the statement titled “Mission Accomplished” said. “If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/pound-pound-boxing-king-andre-ward-announces-retirement-161209592.html

Boxers frequently “retire”, only to return after some time off (Mayweather and Pacquiao, e.g.), and it’s possible Ward will do that; he’s 33, probably close to his physical peak, and could look forward to at least several more years as an elite boxer. OTOH, this is a good time to go. He’s 32-0, with probably his most defining two fights his most recent ones, the wins over Kovalev. He certainly has nothing left to prove, and it appears the only challenges left for him would be to move up in weight. He did speculate about fighting heavyweight, but there are many in that division he couldn’t beat. Also, of course, the sooner a boxer retires, the better his future health prospects are.

Hopefully leaving now will be good for his brain health.
jmdirt

01 Oct 2017 13:40

movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

03 Oct 2017 17:11

Happy to see Uzzy going down.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

15 Oct 2017 14:35

Two pretty good fights last night. Even though they were dominate performances, the guys getting their butts kicked still fought hard. Now its time for Mares and Santa Cruz get it on again.
jmdirt

Previous

Return to General