Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Roberto Duran interview

09 May 2017 04:39

movingtarget
Veteran

09 May 2017 13:43

Really good article. Lots of quotes in there.

Regarding Joshua beating Klitschko, the one thing that came to my mind was how much heart Klitschko showed. I have argued for some time he's just used his size to stall tactics and defeat a weak crop of opponents, but when he got really pushed and hammered here, he did all he could to fight back, and continue on. It made me think if this was 5 years ago, even if Joshua would have floored him then, he would have been able to continue, and win in a way we never saw him have to fight.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

09 May 2017 15:38

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Really good article. Lots of quotes in there.

Regarding Joshua beating Klitschko, the one thing that came to my mind was how much heart Klitschko showed. I have argued for some time he's just used his size to stall tactics and defeat a weak crop of opponents, but when he got really pushed and hammered here, he did all he could to fight back, and continue on. It made me think if this was 5 years ago, even if Joshua would have floored him then, he would have been able to continue, and win in a way we never saw him have to fight.

Well I still think the horse story is an urban myth unless the horse had a glass jaw !
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Roberto Duran interview

11 May 2017 01:04

Not one mention of Buchanan! To be fair to Ken, he has said he didn't think Duran meant it. Not sure myself but hey ho. Still one of my go to you tube fights tho, Duran v Leonard 1:)
User avatar ferryman

Re: Roberto Duran interview

11 May 2017 14:53

ferryman wrote:

Not one mention of Buchanan! To be fair to Ken, he has said he didn't think Duran meant it. Not sure myself but hey ho. Still one of my go to you tube fights tho, Duran v Leonard 1:)

I think Buchanan was just being diplomatic. No doubt Duran could fight dirty when he needed to.
movingtarget
Veteran

14 Jun 2017 19:34

So Aug 26 is the date set for Mayweather vs. McGregor...maybe. There are so many negotiations taking place that I won't believe it until the two are between the ropes, but at least the NSAC has a date on the calendar.

I think that FM has the most to lose in this fight. The only true win is for him to knock CMc out in the first round. Even if FM wins a decision, that won't be a win in his eyes, or most observers either. Its a fight so you never know, CMc could tag FM (brutal for his legacy).
jmdirt

Re:

14 Jun 2017 23:21

jmdirt wrote:So Aug 26 is the date set for Mayweather vs. McGregor...maybe. There are so many negotiations taking place that I won't believe it until the two are between the ropes, but at least the NSAC has a date on the calendar.

I think that FM has the most to lose in this fight. The only true win is for him to knock CMc out in the first round. Even if FM wins a decision, that won't be a win in his eyes, or most observers either. Its a fight so you never know, CMc could tag FM (brutal for his legacy).

It's a mismatch to state the blindingly obvious but it just shows how money oriented Mayweather is, it's ridiculous but I also think that many other boxers also would have taken the fight because they think it will be an easy payday and they might stop McGregor running his mouth off.
movingtarget
Veteran

15 Jun 2017 12:25

That's it exactly.

I do think Floyd has to win by early KO, not necessarily RD1, but early, after toying with and humiliating McGregor a little, in order to make it mean anything at all. If the fight drags on like an exhibition, sort of like when Ali "fought" Lyle Alzado, or some of those awful celebrity boxing matches, it's going to be more than boring, and laughable afterwards.

I fear that Floyd doesn't have enough power to knock anyone out early anymore, but the chances of McGregor getting a real punch in or hurting Floyd is almost zip with Floyd's skill, especially defensive capability. This is a recipe for an uninteresting, maybe boring, fight. Not that Floyd cares, he's making easy money.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

15 Jun 2017 12:37

£18 million each I heard. Both winners no matter what.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

15 Jun 2017 14:52

King Boonen wrote:£18 million each I heard. Both winners no matter what.

Mike and Mike said $200mil for FM, and $100mil for CMc.
jmdirt

Re:

15 Jun 2017 15:54

I find it sad that the internet is abuzz about this fraud of a fight, when a potential Fight of the Year is happening this Saturday: Ward-Kovalev II. Ward, who is arguably the no. 1 P4P fighter in the world, barely decisioned Kovalev in their first match, and many people thought he lost. The match is not unlike Mayweather-Pacquiao, featuring an undefeated technical master against a guy with scary power—except that these two are still in their prime. And if you want further hype, there is a lot of bad blood between the two—genuine, unstaged, unlike the phony smack manufactured by Floyd, eagerly devoured by his fans and haters alike.

Yet all the talk is about a “fight” that is probably the biggest mismatch in the history of boxing, a guy who has never even freaking been in a boxing match vs. an undefeated all-time great. Why would anyone in his right mind waste his words, let alone his money, on this? Hard to take seriously the complaints of sportswriters and boxing fans that there are no challenging fights any more when they bring this crap on themselves.

LOL, Floyd wouldn’t fight anyone for a paltry 18 million, not even when he was active, let alone would he come out of retirement for that. We’re talking hundreds of millions.
Merckx index

15 Jun 2017 16:02

Sorry both, I seem to have not pressed the zero properly. £180 million.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2017 17:05

Merckx index wrote:I find it sad that the internet is abuzz about this fraud of a fight, when a potential Fight of the Year is happening this Saturday: Ward-Kovalev II. Ward, who is arguably the no. 1 P4P fighter in the world, barely decisioned Kovalev in their first match, and many people thought he lost. The match is not unlike Mayweather-Pacquiao, featuring an undefeated technical master against a guy with scary power—except that these two are still in their prime. And if you want further hype, there is a lot of bad blood between the two—genuine, unstaged, unlike the phony smack manufactured by Floyd, eagerly devoured by his fans and haters alike.

Yet all the talk is about a “fight” that is probably the biggest mismatch in the history of boxing, a guy who has never even freaking been in a boxing match vs. an undefeated all-time great. Why would anyone in his right mind waste his words, let alone his money, on this? Hard to take seriously the complaints of sportswriters and boxing fans that there are no challenging fights any more when they bring this crap on themselves.

LOL, Floyd wouldn’t fight anyone for a paltry 18 million, not even when he was active, let alone would he come out of retirement for that. We’re talking hundreds of millions.

W vs K 2 should be a great fight. I think that boxing hasn't promoted boxing well enough for a long time. Part of it could be that there are too many belts, therefore not much unity for promotion. The fights that have been promoted well are because the fighters have done the promotion.

I won't spend any money (not counting beer! :)) on this fight, but I definitely want to see it. It could be entertaining. I have watched a lot of fights in my life, and often the ones that look good on paper aren't good in the ring. People used to watch Tyson fights to see how quickly he could knock people out. The potential is that the type of striking that CMc will bring won't be what FM has seen so the first few rounds could be entertaining.

The thing that no one is talking about is that the guys on the undercard will get exposure beyond their dreams, and it might move them to another level. I have heard about several other potential boxing vs MMA match ups for the undercard.

To your point, there are still lots of great boxing matches out there, they just need to be promoted beyond boxing fans. Also, who knows, maybe the next great boxer will come out of the MMA ranks.
jmdirt

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2017 22:19

Merckx index wrote:Yet all the talk is about a “fight” that is probably the biggest mismatch in the history of boxing, a guy who has never even freaking been in a boxing match vs. an undefeated all-time great.

Great to see you again Merckx. What happened to your avatar?

As I said before, this is a lot like when Muhammad Ali fought an exhibition against Lyle Alzado, who had been an amateur boxer, but loved Ali and Ali gave him a chance to box against him. They went at it for a few rounds, Ali toyed with him, and in the end both collected some cash. But no one in their right mind took it seriously, and Ali played it up for the fun it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5h4wtPwBo
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: Boxing

15 Jun 2017 23:00

Hopefully it's nothing like Mayweather/Pacquiao. That was a joke. Mayweather was just running around the ring pretending to extend his arm to 'punch' Pacquiao. I'd like to see an actual fight where both guys are going for it.
BullsFan22

16 Jun 2017 03:37

movingtarget
Veteran

16 Jun 2017 12:22

Great article, spot on. Thanks for sharing.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

16 Jun 2017 12:36

Seems to sum it up very well. I still don't quite understand why two completely different sports are so desperate to pit one against the other to be honest.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

16 Jun 2017 19:52

Money.

No other reason.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

16 Jun 2017 21:13

Yes, it's just a circus fight for money, at least the Japanese always went full crazy with the Kickboxing and MMA freakshow fights,
Really hyped for Ward vs Kovalev II. The first fight was pretty close, but I just gave it to Ward.
I'll pick Ward in the rematch, I think he figured Kovalev out in the 2nd half of the first fight and he's the kind of fighter who should be able to make adjustments and perform better in the 2nd fight. There's bad blood and Kovalev seems to be a really mean dude in the right, you usually don't see a guy who has already killed someone in the right being so aggressive in the ring after knocking other boxers out and talking about hurting his opponents, for me it's kinda disturbing.
Could be fight of the year, but it could be pretty close, Golovkin vs Canelo is finally happening and I'm hyped for that fight.
User avatar Mayomaniac

PreviousNext

Return to General