Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

18 Jun 2017 14:57

Not sure how long this will stay up on YouTube. In Russian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzvtNCX3vP8

Did he hit him low? Maybe. Ward was winning the fight though, and going to win the fight whether it was stopped or not. A little surprised the ref didn't give a standing 8 to Kovalev, though maybe that wasn't allowed in the rules for this fight.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

18 Jun 2017 16:27

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Not sure how long this will stay up on YouTube. In Russian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzvtNCX3vP8

Did he hit him low? Maybe. Ward was winning the fight though, and going to win the fight whether it was stopped or not. A little surprised the ref didn't give a standing 8 to Kovalev, though maybe that wasn't allowed in the rules for this fight.

I don't think it was low enough to be considered a "low blow", I think Kovalev's using it as an excuse because he wasn't expecting to get hit so much in the body perhaps and he was rocked anyway by huge right that basically dropped Kovalevs gloves for the rest of the fight. Not long before the big right you can hear the ref tell Kovalev that the punches were at the "belt line".

I think Ward beat Kovalev fair and square and Kovalev should expect to be hit in the belt line a lot considering how tall he is compared to his competition in that weight class.

Here's the fight in english, for now until youtube pulls it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaQcU2JO04#t=1538.75167

Edit: Alpe, you mention that you're surprised there was no standing eight count and I think I am too but on the other hand it seemed to me like Kovalev stopped defending himself in the last round, maybe the ref took that into consideration? I don't know but you're right. Usually we would see a standing eight but not last night for some reason.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

18 Jun 2017 16:28

-That was an OK fight...formula fight.
--It seemed like the stoppage was pretty quick. He wasn't taking heads shots so let him try to box out.
--Ward is still undefeated, but I'm not sure that he is the P4P best.
-All of Kov's headlocks made me think that we were watching the first MMA vs. boxing of the year :)
-IMO, none of the low body shots appeared to be below the belt, but several were on it. I need a better view of the end though.
--I'll be curious what the NSAC has to say.
jmdirt

18 Jun 2017 16:43

Apparently Kovalev's promoter, Kathy Duva intends on protesting the fight although I'm not sure what good that'll do considering they've already fought before so another rematch is probably out of the question.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

18 Jun 2017 21:04

Yes, I thought that Kovalev was done in that round, his stamina was gone because of all the body shots that Ward threw in the earlier rounds and was really hurt from a right hand before the "low blows" happened.
Ward was able to made adjustments and seems to have found the blueprint to beat Kovalev.
Kovalev was gassed, hurt badly and pretty much ducked into those punches.
I don't know if I actually want to see a 3rd fight, Ward vs. Stevenson would be a pretty interesting fight.
No idea if Ward is actually the P4P best, there are waaay too many great fighters in the lower weightclasses.
User avatar Mayomaniac

02 Jul 2017 18:25

"Decisions" like this continue to hurt boxing. Do the judges realize that when they kill boxing, they are out of work too?

From Lennox Lewis: "This is what's wrong with boxing. Horn was very game but I'm hard pressed to see how he could have won that fight by any stretch!"

I didn't have it live so I depended on bootleg videos, ESPN.com round by round highlights, punch counts, and "expert" analysis. Now I have piles of post fight info as well. One stat that sticks out is that Horn landed less than 8 punches per round to Pacqu's 16 (93 to 194). Also of importance, the fight was almost stopped by the referee AND by Horn's corner. I score it 116 to 111 for MP (that's 8 rounds to 4 with one 10-8).
jmdirt

Re:

02 Jul 2017 23:44

jmdirt wrote:"Decisions" like this continue to hurt boxing. Do the judges realize that when they kill boxing, they are out of work too?

From Lennox Lewis: "This is what's wrong with boxing. Horn was very game but I'm hard pressed to see how he could have won that fight by any stretch!"

I didn't have it live so I depended on bootleg videos, ESPN.com round by round highlights, punch counts, and "expert" analysis. Now I have piles of post fight info as well. One stat that sticks out is that Horn landed less than 8 punches per round to Pacqu's 16 (93 to 194). Also of importance, the fight was almost stopped by the referee AND by Horn's corner. I score it 116 to 111 for MP (that's 8 rounds to 4 with one 10-8).

I only saw extended highlights and it looked like an ugly fight with a lot holding. Considering Pacman was intending to blow Horn out early and see if Mayweather wanted a rematch, well that backfired. Two judges from the USA and one from Argentina and the ref was also from the USA. So I don't understand the talk of bias. Not sure how they came up with the scores they did but what I did see is an aging fighter way past his best with an opponent who had guts but not a lot of skill and won't retain his belt for long. For fans that have watched Olympic Games boxing, that is even worse and possibly more corrupt. This is nothing new unfortunately for boxing. Manny Pac should retire and Horn can thank his lucky stars that he gets his pay day on his title defense cause I get the feeling there won't be many of those. As a promoter Bob Arum's good name isn't considered much better than Don King's. Could there be anyone worse to compare to in the sport of boxing ? Teddy Atlas was almost frothing at the mouth after the fight and Lennox Lewis' comments seemed to be the consensus view.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Jul 2017 01:38

The first presser with FM and CMc was funny! The backstage interviews were a contrast though with FM talking about how he's not as good as he used to be and that CMc is a warrior, while CMc talked about bouncing FM's head off of the canvas. They have a few more of these promo pressers before the fight so we'll get some more funny.
jmdirt

12 Jul 2017 16:31

I consider this match akin to pro wrestling. All hype, for entertainment purposes, and a chance someone could actually get hurt, but not likely.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

13 Jul 2017 00:02

Even if I'm a big Mayweather fan, McGregor destroyed him tonight. Mofo is really funny, but he's gonna lose bad on August 26. This s hit show will be better than the fight itself. Tomorrow Brooklyn and Friday, London.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit. Then, like a rat, they stop in fear and freeze."
User avatar Melo

15 Jul 2017 14:25

CMc won every round!
jmdirt

Re: Boxing

15 Jul 2017 20:07

How staged was all of that.

Clearly it was to some extent.

Some people think Mayweather and Mcgregor even met in private beforehand to script it all out.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

15 Jul 2017 20:17

The Hitch wrote:How staged was all of that.

Some people think Mayweather and Mcgregor even met in private beforehand to script it all out.

Yeah, I didn't even bother to watch that staged pro wrestling bs.
The sad thing is that this circus killed all the buzz around Golovkin vs Canelo.
User avatar Mayomaniac

15 Jul 2017 20:53

The Hitch wrote:How staged was all of that.

I'm pretty certain that there was a "structure" to it, but a lot of it was spontaneous IMO. Rumor has it that they agreed not to touch each other beyond a tag or a brush here or there (CMc rubbed FM's head, and FM brushed his shoulder against CMc several times while filming the fun, etc...).

All good fun! August 26th....
jmdirt

15 Jul 2017 22:59

Someone pointed out that if it had been legit, conor would have mentioned mayweathers prison thing.

Instead he just said "fook" 100 times a day.

Also they were both writing cheques they clearly have no intention of cashing. Eg when Mayweather said "lets go to Dublin tomorrow". Mcgregor said he might just start the fight now.

Having watched wrestling in the past I just saw too many actions im familiar with. The "we might fight now" routine is always used of course pre ppv. The fake attempts to make them look like they will fight.

Mayweather sending his bodyguards on Conor. Dana just sitting there laughing without saying a word.

Does conor have animosity to the white guy in mayweathers crew he kept calling out (showtime president or something). Or did they just decide before hand it was the perfect stooge to play heel.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

16 Jul 2017 02:41

Fox has to be disappointed with that card...not one good fight.
jmdirt

04 Aug 2017 16:25

Remember, the hype matters more than the actual fight. But it looks like one person wasn't interested in being part of that.
Paulie Malignaggi has walked out of Conor McGregor's training camp after photos were leaked of their sparring sessions...But he quit after photos were posted on social media which, Malignaggi claimed, painted a false picture of the sessions. One showed the American flat on his back on the canvas as McGregor stood over him, and another showed Malignaggi's face badly marked up.

"There was a pushdown yesterday. Conor on the inside, he can get a little rough. He shoved me down, you know, but no knockdowns. Obviously, 12 rounds, you're gonna see there's a mark on my face...It's not nice to paint a picture that isn't true, this was a pushdown in sparring, post the whole video rounds, one through 12, unedited."

"The @ufc PI has cameras all over the gym recording 24/7. The video exists unedited of rounds one through 12 on Tuesday night, let the fans see.

"I came to help this camp out, not to be exploited, now your gonna get the truth though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/conor-mcgregor-suffers-blow-ahead-10927328
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

04 Aug 2017 16:59

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Remember, the hype matters more than the actual fight. But it looks like one person wasn't interested in being part of that.
Paulie Malignaggi has walked out of Conor McGregor's training camp after photos were leaked of their sparring sessions...But he quit after photos were posted on social media which, Malignaggi claimed, painted a false picture of the sessions. One showed the American flat on his back on the canvas as McGregor stood over him, and another showed Malignaggi's face badly marked up.

"There was a pushdown yesterday. Conor on the inside, he can get a little rough. He shoved me down, you know, but no knockdowns. Obviously, 12 rounds, you're gonna see there's a mark on my face...It's not nice to paint a picture that isn't true, this was a pushdown in sparring, post the whole video rounds, one through 12, unedited."

"The @ufc PI has cameras all over the gym recording 24/7. The video exists unedited of rounds one through 12 on Tuesday night, let the fans see.

"I came to help this camp out, not to be exploited, now your gonna get the truth though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/conor-mcgregor-suffers-blow-ahead-10927328

According to an earlier report McGregor was getting beaten up by his sparring partners !
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Aug 2017 20:19

Considering what Malignaggi implied, I imagine he was having his way with McGregor when he wanted as well. But this isn't about fighting. It's about money. Spin, spin, spin. Tell the world how incredible McGregor is - he'll tell you himself! Then, he fights an aging, rusty Floyd who has little power left, but enough skills to easily make McGregor look bad, almost from the outset. Then after x rounds, and little drama, he quits on his stool after a few rounds of showboating, and they both laugh all the way to the bank. "You fell for it, suckas!"
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General