Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

20 May 2015 17:18

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Which brings up an interesting point. Why didn't he call out Floyd after the fight, saying he'd meet him at 154? Instead, he said he wanted to fight Miguel Cotto or Canelo Alvarez next. Floyd is where the greatest money, and challenge is. He can't expect Floyd to fight at 160, but 154 would be ideal.

Maybe he knows Mayweather isn't going to fight him anyway, whereas Cotto or Alvarez might? I really don't know, but he's called out Mayweather in the past and Golovkin said 154 is fine for him.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

21 May 2015 12:22

Meanwhile, Floyd says he thinks Manny faked his shoulder injury and is lying about it as an excuse for losing. Floyd is probably basing this on his extensive schooling and medical acumen I imagine, using his keen perception noticing facts like that Manny raised his hands above his head during the weigh in, and no one was rubbing his shoulder during the fight to bolster his claim.

The fact that the surgery was performed by one of the world's most respected surgeons, Neal El Attrache, who pronounced that it was a fairly significant tear, is probably a set-up as well in Floyd's mind.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

30 May 2015 11:46

movingtarget
Veteran

30 May 2015 12:53

I only saw the highlights, and read the reports and I don't see him beating Floyd. In fact, I think it would be a pretty dull fight that would almost certainly go the distance, with Floyd winning an obvious decision.

Having said that, this fight was nothing like what a fight would be like with Floyd. Completely different.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

01 Jun 2015 19:01

Pretty bad time for Algieri those last 7 months, hope he recovers and finds his rhytm.

Agreed on Khan, would be a stupid fight.
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

10 Jun 2015 12:42

movingtarget
Veteran

21 Jun 2015 03:05

I just watched Broner vs. Porter. Broner talked a lot of smack and then clinched his way to a loss.

As much as I enjoy boxing, MMA is just more entertaining FOR ME.

Edited
Last edited by jmdirt on 22 Jun 2015 04:36, edited 2 times in total.
jmdirt

Re:

21 Jun 2015 20:42

jmdirt wrote:I just watched Broner vs. Porter. Broner talked a lot of smack and then clinched his way to a loss. As much as I have always enjoyed boxing, UFC is just more entertaining.

No, just Broner is one of the biggest clowns of this sport.
I like boxing because its more about head and its more versatile (more sports Art to do).
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

Re: Boxing

21 Jun 2015 22:21

There's seems to be this fascination at using any poor boxing fight as a way to promote the UFC. Just be the best you can be without attacking other sports in the process. Dana White has said similar stuff about football.

It's not as if the UFC don't put on any poor shows anyway. Anderson Silva had his moments in a few fights, none more so than his embarrassing performance against Damien Meia. Dan Hardy v GSP, Bisping v Leben and so on. Then you had fellows like John Fitch in the past who just threw themselves to the ground and do nothing else. Plenty of poor decisions as we saw in the Machida v Shogun fight.

I used to watch a lot of it but I found more and more average shows creeping into the calendar. There's a saturation of Fight Night cards outside of the main UFC cards and it has diluted the quality of fights on offer. Take some of McGregor's recent wins against Barao and Siver, laughable how they were main event fights.

I prefer boxing but the obsession with promoting the UFC on the back of attacking boxing is hugely irritating.

Good to see Ward win against Smith.
User avatar gooner

22 Jun 2015 01:05

gooner wrote:There's seems to be this fascination at using any poor boxing fight as a way to promote the UFC. Just be the best you can be without attacking other sports in the process. Dana White has said similar stuff about football.

It's not as if the UFC don't put on any poor shows anyway. Anderson Silva had his moments in a few fights, none more so than his embarrassing performance against Damien Meia. Dan Hardy v GSP, Bisping v Leben and so on. Then you had fellows like John Fitch in the past who just threw themselves to the ground and do nothing else. Plenty of poor decisions as we saw in the Machida v Shogun fight.

I used to watch a lot of it but I found more and more average shows creeping into the calendar. There's a saturation of Fight Night cards outside of the main UFC cards and it has diluted the quality of fights on offer. Take some of McGregor's recent wins against Barao and Siver, laughable how they were main event fights.

I prefer boxing but the obsession with promoting the UFC on the back of attacking boxing is hugely irritating.

Wait, I enjoy UFC more than boxing so I am promoting UFC? I am wrong for enjoying UFC more than boxing? Would you please send me a list of things of things that it is OK for me to like?!
jmdirt

22 Jun 2015 03:54

jmdirt wrote:
gooner wrote:There's seems to be this fascination at using any poor boxing fight as a way to promote the UFC. Just be the best you can be without attacking other sports in the process. Dana White has said similar stuff about football.

Wait, I enjoy UFC more than boxing so I am promoting UFC? I am wrong for enjoying UFC more than boxing? Would you please send me a list of things of things that it is OK for me to like?!

Never said you were wrong for enjoying the UFC more. That's your own entitlement. I do take issue on the singling out of one fight. I could just as easy take a UFC event and point out guys pressing against each other on the cage or the grappling on the ground with little work.

You could have easily said you weren't impressed with the Broner fight without getting your plug in for the UFC. Many people in the MMA world and fans alike can't resist a jibe in such circumstances. In the aftermath of certain boxing fights in the past, this has been said to me on many occasions by UFC fans I know of. I've heard it all before. I pointed this out up thread after the Mayweather v Pacquiao fight. The UFC were displaying retweets along those lines after the fight finished.

Don't just take my word for it, MMA's own BloodyElbow site wrote about it after that fight.

Why are MMA fans so fixated on the supposed failure and death of boxing? This is a pointless, tiresome, and fictitious war almost seemingly founded on a historically heightened level of insecurity that dates back to the days when MMA was painted as "human cockfighting". Why is it so important to paint boxing as inferior instead of just being a different version of combat sport, just like competitive grappling, kickboxing, Muay Thai, and wrestling?

Remarks such as "UFC/MMA is the real winner" come with a heavy dose of ignorance of the sport of boxing, which has had more than its fair share of successful fights and fighters independent of Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Boxing isn't going anywhere. It cannot be denied that national public interest in the sport has taken a considerable hit as the decades have passed by, but the repeated premature declarations of its death have got to go. MMA fans perpetuate this more than any other combat sports fanbase, perhaps parroting UFC president Dana White ad nauseam. If it's not discussing boxing's death, it's endless fantasizing over "How would a boxer fare in an MMA fight?" as fighter after fighter boldly states how quickly they'd beat Floyd Mayweather. This is the type of inferiority complex mentality that makes the MMA world continue to look like the attention-craving little brother of combat sports. Boxing and MMA are not in competition against each other and they are perfectly capable of co-existing as they have been for years, and it's foolish to think last night's big event spells an entire sport's imminent doom, especially when the facts and figures suggest otherwise.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/3/8539635/ufc-mma-fans-stop-declaring-the-death-of-boxing-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-editorial

Barry McGuigan has said the same about the UFC and it needless pot shots at boxing.
User avatar gooner

22 Jun 2015 04:30

"I do take issue on the singling out of one fight. "

That was the fight that I had just watched. I wasn't "singling it out".

I watch a lot of boxing (started watching in the early '70s) and MMA, and I prefer MMA. Not plugging for MMA, just stating my preference.

I edited my original post to make it two separate thoughts: 1) The fight I watched last night was poor. 2) I prefer MMA. I also removed UFC so it didn't read like I was supporting a specific brand, just mixed martial arts in general.
jmdirt

Re:

23 Jun 2015 08:37

jmdirt wrote:"I do take issue on the singling out of one fight. "

That was the fight that I had just watched. I wasn't "singling it out".

I watch a lot of boxing (started watching in the early '70s) and MMA, and I prefer MMA. Not plugging for MMA, just stating my preference.

I edited my original post to make it two separate thoughts: 1) The fight I watched last night was poor. 2) I prefer MMA. I also removed UFC so it didn't read like I was supporting a specific brand, just mixed martial arts in general.

I dont understand your preferences, but I respect it, its just...interesting :) :D
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 00:31

movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

09 Aug 2015 07:48

The article name is quite fitting. I hope it won't get even 700 000 PPV, and this says Mayweather fan :o

Now I really want his 50th fight :rolleyes:
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 07:52

btw this summer Im just hoping that Cotto eats steak and salads all the time and he trains his azz off ;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

11 Aug 2015 11:51

Floyd yesterday announced who he said were the best 5 boxers all time, pound for pound. At the top of the list. Why, himself of course!

Floyd has Muhammad Ali no better than 5th, and Sugar Ray Robinson (who Ali said was better than him, and consensus experts say is the best ever) not even on the list. Ray Leonard wasn't on his list either, and Floyd basically ignored all old-time fighters from Joe Louis, to Henry Armstrong, to Willie Pep, to Benny Leonard, and others. Here's his low IQ list:

1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Roberto Duran
3. Pernell Whitaker
4. Julio Cesar Chavez
5. Muhammad Ali

You know what, as far as I care, the faster Floyd goes away, the better.

http://usat.ly/1Wd0gZw
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

11 Aug 2015 12:03

For me those 5: Louis,Leonard,Ali,Robinson,Duran...not in the order, but with Sugar's on the top probably.
Floyd for top 10 maybe, surely not more.
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General