Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

16 Mar 2017 01:03

Right, very little interest in March Madness around here still (so I won't create a new thread for it), but who here has actually filled out a brrrrrrrracket? (Has to be done by tonight before all the madness begins first thing tomorrow morning!)

I filled out mine, have Kansas eating the whole cake. (Doesn't mean I like them, it's just I think that is how the cookie will roll this year.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

16 Mar 2017 01:17

Had told one of my clients UC Davis (one of the "early four" teams) would make it into the Big Dance earlier today, btw., unfortunately UC Davis has to play Kansas next. So yeah, best of luck with that one, UC Davis!

(And I actually do mean that, no sarcasm intended.)

18 Mar 2017 16:57

As much as I love the Zags I think they'll be the first #1 seed to fall.

Got Villanova going against Kansas in the final, Kansas wins by one point. (Just to make it that extra painful for Villanova.[Don't actually care, or even like, either team.])

After the first round I'm only at 86% on my bracket, it's a good thing I don't bet any money on this.

Re:

19 Mar 2017 02:15

Tricycle Rider wrote:As much as I love the Zags I think they'll be the first #1 seed to fall.

Got Villanova going against Kansas in the final, Kansas wins by one point. (Just to make it that extra painful for Villanova.[Don't actually care, or even like, either team.])

After the first round I'm only at 86% on my bracket, it's a good thing I don't bet any money on this.

RIP
"Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place." -Lance Armstrong
User avatar Sciocco

Re: Re:

19 Mar 2017 15:22

Sciocco wrote:RIP
Wow, how embarrassing for Villanova. I shouldn't have underestimated the Badgers, though.

So yep, my bracket is busted. I'll refrain from making any further predictions till the weekend is over, who knows what will happen next? (This is why I love this tourney so much, it can be so wacky.)

19 Mar 2017 15:28

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Sciocco wrote:RIP
Wow, how embarrassing for Villanova. I shouldn't have underestimated the Badgers, though.

So yep, my bracket is busted. I'll refrain from making any further predictions till the weekend is over, who knows what will happen next? (This is why I love this tourney so much, it can be so wacky.)

I love how some Villanova supporters are complaining that they got robbed by the selection committee for seeding Wisconsin as an eight seed when they should have been higher, which would have allowed Villanova to play a more lowly team, and perhaps win the game... :rolleyes: :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

19 Mar 2017 15:33

Gonzaga had a late scare but made it through to the sweet 16. With nova gone the zags have one less obstacle in their path to the promised land, I can only hope that somehow Arizona falters against Xavier, but that's a stretch.

Anyway, today's games should be fun. :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

19 Mar 2017 20:10

Irondan wrote:Villanova supporters are complaining that they got robbed by the selection committee for seeding Wisconsin as an eight seed when they should have been higher, which would have allowed Villanova to play a more lowly team, and perhaps win the game... :rolleyes: :D
I wouldn't really know, I haven't been paying much attention to college b-ball up until now. I just look up the rankings before the tourney starts, and then I go by what have traditionally been good teams. Like Gonzaga, for example...

They're very good for such a small school, but I just don't think they have that extra push to make it to the very top. Hope I'm wrong this year. (Also have the local Ducks only making it to the Sweet Sixteen, I don't think they have the basketball tradition either to make it past the Elite Eight.)

Well anyhoo, go Bulldogs! (And Ducks.)

PS - How the frick is my bracket still at 95% with Nova's loss? I'm sure that will change when the day is over. :o

19 Mar 2017 21:13

Whoa, Kentucky barely squeaked by Wichita, let's see what they can do against UCLA. (Have Kentucky going against UNC in the Elie Eight, I think, can't really read these latest ESPN bracket incarnations clearly.)

Re:

20 Mar 2017 02:31

Tricycle Rider wrote:Whoa, Kentucky barely squeaked by Wichita, let's see what they can do against UCLA. (Have Kentucky going against UNC in the Elie Eight, I think, can't really read these latest ESPN bracket incarnations clearly.)

I was shocked at how Kentucky struggled to win this game. The Wildcats squeaking by #10 Wichita St?...unbelievable. Kentucky's loaded with *5* McDonald's All-Americans on their roster, with 4 starting (McDonald's All-Americans are considerd all-world in the H.S. spectrum). De'Aaron Fox is only a freshman and is probably one & done with a bright future in the NBA. It seems Kentucky, like Bama in football, just reloads every year with pro level talent. I think it'll be considered a colossal failure if Kentucky doesn't make it to the final four.
Last edited by Nomad on 20 Mar 2017 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nomad

Re:

20 Mar 2017 03:36

Irondan wrote:I can only hope that somehow Arizona falters against Xavier, but that's a stretch.

Anyway, today's games should be fun. :)
Xavier is looking a bit dangerous here, think they might just get it done against Arizona.

Don't take my word for it, though.

20 Mar 2017 03:56

Go Tar Heels!!!

And tonight, we were all Gamecocks!!! Duck Fuke!
ChewbaccaDefense

Re:

20 Mar 2017 04:22

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
And tonight, we were all Gamecocks!!! Duck Fuke!
Well done, South Carolina! (I mean, who doesn't hate Duke?) Baylor comes next, they're kinda good.

The other bracket we've got Butler. They're also kinda good.

But don't take my word for it, Carolinas, I kinda suck at this.

20 Mar 2017 18:42

Lonzo Ball ftw.

Now, if he develops a Reggie Lewis/Rip Hamilton* mid-range game, he could surpass Nash and Kidd, note, I said, 'could'.

The guy just sees the game a bit differently than everyone else. I am a bit too young to have seen Magic in his heyday, and see his court vision. Well, Lonzo has 'arena vision'.

I would not worry about his dad.

*Rip^2 cos it is Hamilton's phonetic nickname. Did Paul Pierce also have a mid-range? Drexler too. I almost got invited to his house by his ob-gyn, no joke.
"It's a bit like the whole chimp thing," Sir Bradley Wigans
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 18:44

not just Stockton, think aussies have been at Gonzaga. Did Milwaukee/Cleveland Delly go to the bulldogs, or dogs, whatever hound?

There may be other aussies on there.

ofcourse, i am a white australian nationalist* [sic]
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 18:46

re: Lonzo's mid-range. Well, he never needed to show anything, and the 'metrics' game, saying that aint a percentage shot.

the court's geometry has changed since I played.

He may have something inherent in his arsenal, that he has not been forced into showing, because the vacuum on a college court is effectively bigger, cos the defenses dont move with alacrity of the pros
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 18:55

Nomad wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:Whoa, Kentucky barely squeaked by Wichita, let's see what they can do against UCLA. (Have Kentucky going against UNC in the Elie Eight, I think, can't really read these latest ESPN bracket incarnations clearly.)

I was shocked at how Kentucky struggled to win this game. The Wildcats squeaking by #10 Wichita St?...unbelievable. Kentucky's loaded with *5* McDonald's All-Americans on their roster, with 4 starting (McDonald's All-Americans are considerd all-world in the H.S. spectrum). De'Aaron Fox is only a freshman and is probably one & done with a bright future in the NBA. It seems Kentucky, like Bama in football, just reloads every year with pro level talent. I think it'll be considered a colossal failure if Kentucky doesn't make it to the final four.

Kentucky gotta go thru Lonzo and UCLA.

high-school all-american values an individual who is athletic, and can beat up on high-school defences, once the AA Mcdonalds player shows versus a D1 college defense, who are 5 professional level defenders and athletes, the AA player is then asked to modify his game, and show his real potential.

talent like Lonzo Ball's for running a team, and floor vision, for spacing the floor and getting the ball into the hands of his scorers, wont necessarily be a trait that is manifested in highschool.

One guy to look for, is a highschool jnr, from Mater Dei in LA, Spencer Freedman. Steve Nash clone. Guy is only rated top 100 in highschool, he will go to the NBA fo' shur.

He has been recruited by harvard and stanford. stanford have athletic scholarships, harvard you gotta pay ur own way. Or atleast ten years ago during jeremy lin's time, no athletic scholarships.

I reckon Freedman will go to Duke. Their academic program not far below Stanford, and he will be able to play in the march tourney. Josh Childress went from Stanford to the NBA. 7th draftpick in first round, or thereabouts...
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 00:22

Second half of the Ducks - Michigan game, this might be really close. I've got 25cents on Michigan.

First half of the Gonzaga game, got no money on this. But am really, really hoping Gonzaga will win.

24 Mar 2017 01:07

Well, there goes 25cents of my hard-earned money. At least it was an interesting second half and not some kind of a pitiful blowout.

Now back to the Gonzaga game...

24 Mar 2017 02:21

Ooof, that was another close one. Go Zags!

Not sure I can handle the Purdue and Xavier games, my nerves are just getting too fragile for this. (I would seriously laugh if Kansas somehow lost, though. It's not likely to happen, but I would laugh.)

PreviousNext

Return to General