Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

04 Apr 2017 14:08

Ah well, there's always next year. (According to ESPN my % rate is 49, ultimate rank is 9.6 million. Very popular this NCAA bracket stuff is.)

You Tar Heels ever get tired of winning?

Right, on to fantasy golf now.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re:

11 Apr 2017 02:33

blackcat wrote:not just Stockton, think aussies have been at Gonzaga. Did Milwaukee/Cleveland Delly go to the bulldogs, or dogs, whatever hound?

There may be other aussies on there.

ofcourse, i am a white australian nationalist* [sic]

Delly went to St Mary Gales in California. Quite a few Aussies seem to attend that college and play on the basketball team. Delly in action below :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-Tb29zAzQ&t=32s
movingtarget
Veteran

15 Apr 2017 08:25

Can anyone see any upsets happening in the first round of the NBA playoffs ?
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2017 12:17

movingtarget wrote:Can anyone see any upsets happening in the first round of the NBA playoffs ?

Cleveland limped to the end of the regular season, struggling defensively. They barely pulled out a win at home in their first playoff game against Indiana who has Paul George, who has been playing on an elite level, back to where he left off before his horrific Olympic team injury. Plus, I'm not a fan of "Bron-Bron", so my opinion is likely biased and leaning more to hoping that they get eliminated early!
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2017 22:38

movingtarget wrote:Can anyone see any upsets happening in the first round of the NBA playoffs ?

The Bulls over the Celtics seems to be the one series where an early upset is very possible. The Cavs barely held on in game 1, and I think the Pacers could pull a surprise. As Angliru mentioned, Cleveland has stumbled across the finish line in the regular season, and I expect them to keep struggling, or at least be up and down, but given it's the eastern conference, they will probably make it to the finals again.

On the west coast I'd say there won't be upsets. Actually I felt that given how well the Blazers ended the season, with a great March/April, (thanks to the guards playing really well and the acquisition of Nurkic) that whoever they played in the first round, they'd be a dangerous team with a possibility of an upset. Nurkic is out injured, missed the last 7 games (I think that's how many it was) in the regular season and is still out. With him out, the pressure is squarely on Lillard and McCollum to produce. They played well in the first half, and really the first three quarters and a bit, but the Warriors just pulled away. With Nurkic in there, I feel this series wouldn't be a sure W for the Warriors, a W, but not a runaway train. I still think the Blazers can pull out two wins, but without Nurkic a famous upset (an 8 over 1) is unlikely. I am interested to see how well Portland does next season with these three players in the starting lineup.

Some felt that the Thunder could beat the Rockets, and that's still possible, of course, but Houston has more weapons and who knows, Westbrook could be running out of gas after that historic regular season.

The Jazz over the Clippers, even with Gobert out.

The Spurs are too much for the Grizzlies.

Toronto looks like they could be back to underachieving in the playoffs again.

The Wizards and the Bulls have, I think, the best chance to beat the Cavs, assuming the Pacers don't shock them in round 1.

My guess is what most are thinking, Warriors vs Spurs in the WCF.
BullsFan22

18 Apr 2017 04:19

Many people seem to think it's already over and Golden State can't be beat and definitely not by the Cavs anyway. Cavs defense is a worry. Toronto looked poor against the Bucks who have a very young team and probably have their best years ahead of them. If the Raptors lose the next game it's hard to see them getting out of this series. Bucks are doing well and without Jabari.
movingtarget
Veteran

20 Apr 2017 21:18

I'm barely paying attention, but my guess is unless SA can upset GS, then the Warriors will win it all. I can see another GS-Cle matchup, for the third year in a row (so much for the parity ol' Dan Stern was saying the new CBA would accomplish). If we do get GS vs. the Cavs, I see a 4-0 sweep by GS. Maybe 4-1 with the Cavs winning one game at home. Actually, I see GS maybe sweeping any team from the east in the finals.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

26 Apr 2017 01:49

The Bucks have the job ahead to square the series with the Raptors. Not finishing off Game 2 cost them so has their lack of playoff experience as acknowledged by Jason Kidd. Toronto made the right changes and seem to have the Bucks figured out now. I agree with what many are saying about the Bucks. They will be much better in a season or two and with a few additional pieces. Can't see the Raptors getting past Cleveland.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 Apr 2017 10:33

Okc's Westbrook is a slime ball.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

27 Apr 2017 03:25

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Okc's Westbrook is a slime ball.

Well he can take a holiday now !
movingtarget
Veteran

28 Apr 2017 05:20

Raptors finish off the Bucks 4-2 but a nice comeback by the Bucks in their final game of the playoffs.
movingtarget
Veteran

01 May 2017 05:15

Anyone think it won't be a Cavs v Warriors final ?
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

06 May 2017 02:56

The NBA is finally getting exciting again. That's one big dude Kelly Oubre Jr. put down (sign him up in the NFL, lol).

https://youtu.be/6HKxv-Wj68w
Nomad

10 May 2017 01:57

Still sticking to my prediction of yet another GS-Cle final. The only question is if GS can sweep the playoffs.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

11 May 2017 15:37

One of the more boring playoffs I've ever seen. Yeah, it appears that it will be Cleveland vs Golden State in the finals for the third straight season. Assuming that the Spurs finish off the Rockets, I think the Warriors will lose at least one game in the WCF, but more than likely they will go to the finals. After that it depends what the league decides and how friendly (or unfriendly) the refs are.
BullsFan22

12 May 2017 13:31

BullsFan22 wrote:One of the more boring playoffs I've ever seen. Yeah, it appears that it will be Cleveland vs Golden State in the finals for the third straight season. Assuming that the Spurs finish off the Rockets, I think the Warriors will lose at least one game in the WCF, but more than likely they will go to the finals. After that it depends what the league decides and how friendly (or unfriendly) the refs are.

The Spurs injury issues won't help them but a Cavs v Golden State final looks a foregone conclusion.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 May 2017 17:00

After that performance from James Harden last night vs the Spurs,,,, I don't think Harden has what it takes to be a winner. That was embarrassing.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

12 May 2017 17:51

Semper Fidelis wrote:After that performance from James Harden last night vs the Spurs,,,, I don't think Harden has what it takes to be a winner. That was embarrassing.

No Leonard (the best player on the Spurs and one of top players in the NBA), no Parker, Duncan retired last year, a 90 year old Ginobili, and the Rockets still lose by 40? Yeah, Harden will not be a winner. Can't play defense and can't inspire his teammates.
BullsFan22

12 May 2017 19:10

BullsFan22 wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:After that performance from James Harden last night vs the Spurs,,,, I don't think Harden has what it takes to be a winner. That was embarrassing.

No Leonard (the best player on the Spurs and one of top players in the NBA), no Parker, Duncan retired last year, a 90 year old Ginobili, and the Rockets still lose by 40? Yeah, Harden will not be a winner. Can't play defense and can't inspire his teammates.

His support is minimal compared to the Spurs. Where the Spurs can lose Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker, they still have LaMarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol, two all-star big men, strong in the area that the Rockets are the weakest.

Of course Harden plays defense sporadically but considering the burden he carries, it's understandable. I think he just hit the wall after a season of big minutes and big responsibility. The Rockets need to bring in another elite player to lessen the load on Harden. Teams can easily load up on the Rockets by focusing on Harden knowing that with him neutralized the Rockets are a substandard team. His impressive stat line for the season was good for pr and ticket sales, but just like Westbrook, a more balanced team will always come out ahead in a 7 game series as both teams become more familiar with the other's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

12 May 2017 22:27

BullsFan22 wrote:

And the Spurs have a coach who knows how to win.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General