Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

11 Aug 2017 04:19

Ya not the best move by Kyrie.

Now LaBron (master of how to leave a city) has a better way to get attention from the team he wants to go to. Yesterday or today he tweeted going "home" to LA (lakers). :D After all, he's got no help from a helicopter pop.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

15 Aug 2017 14:26

The NBA is certainly rigged and players don't care until deep into the playoffs. I'm honestly not sure who watches that garbage. I'd rather ride my bike.

College B-Ball. What a farce. It isn't amateur sports and has no business being on a college campus. Look at graduation rates, in the teens! I played DI sports on a scholarship and we had a 98% graduation rate. Make the NBA fund a true developmental league and get college b-ball off campuses. It's so hopelessly corrupt it makes me sick.

Just look at all the scandals! UNC, fake courses. Petino banging women on restaurant tables, despite having a wife and like 55 kids. AND has the nerve to have a priest in his locker room! Won't even go into the corruption and strangeness at Kentucky. Most revered coach was a rabid racist. Now their entire team is black. Make sense? Baylor...players killed and buried a teammate and they still have a program? Huggins found passed out at the wheel and covered in vomit?

I have absolutely NO IDEA why seemingly sane Americans can put their sense of decency on hold and cheer for a bunch of pituitary cases who don't go to class, play 40 games a year, and mostly fail to graduate, while committing fraud and crimes. It really makes no sense. You don't know those dudes. They don't know you. They don't care about you. Oh, you went to school there or grew up nearby? So what?
nayr497

17 Aug 2017 03:19

Last year's season was fun season by any player. I sometimes wish Durant had never gone to GSW just so I could see more of his wizardry.
sisabeshy
Newly Registered Member

23 Aug 2017 06:38

Kyrie Irving traded to Celtics and Isaiah Thomas moves to the Cavs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07znGYa6Y-o
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

23 Aug 2017 11:21

nayr497 wrote:The NBA is certainly rigged and players don't care until deep into the playoffs. I'm honestly not sure who watches that garbage. I'd rather ride my bike.

College B-Ball. What a farce. It isn't amateur sports and has no business being on a college campus. Look at graduation rates, in the teens! I played DI sports on a scholarship and we had a 98% graduation rate. Make the NBA fund a true developmental league and get college b-ball off campuses. It's so hopelessly corrupt it makes me sick.

Just look at all the scandals! UNC, fake courses. Petino banging women on restaurant tables, despite having a wife and like 55 kids. AND has the nerve to have a priest in his locker room! Won't even go into the corruption and strangeness at Kentucky. Most revered coach was a rabid racist. Now their entire team is black. Make sense? Baylor...players killed and buried a teammate and they still have a program? Huggins found passed out at the wheel and covered in vomit?

I have absolutely NO IDEA why seemingly sane Americans can put their sense of decency on hold and cheer for a bunch of pituitary cases who don't go to class, play 40 games a year, and mostly fail to graduate, while committing fraud and crimes. It really makes no sense. You don't know those dudes. They don't know you. They don't care about you. Oh, you went to school there or grew up nearby? So what?

....shush now, will you....you'll wake people up and spoil the dream.....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

23 Aug 2017 11:43

:D :D :D
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

26 Sep 2017 21:32

Can any sports story even temporarily supersede what happened this past weekend? Yes, maybe, but it's not good news. An FBI sting has revealed an extensive operation among several universities to pay recruits to attend their schools, with the recruits retaining the services of financial managers if and when they make it to the NBA. The schools implicated so far are Arizona, USC, OK State, and Auburn, along with most likely Louisville and Miami. Louisville apparently funneled $100K secretly and illegally to a recruit. And this may be only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The shock, of course, is not that this is happening, but that so much hard evidence has now accumulated.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-probe-uncovers-massive-college-basketball-scandal-snaring-big-time-programs-144631716.html
Merckx index

Re:

27 Sep 2017 09:22

Merckx index wrote:Can any sports story even temporarily supersede what happened this past weekend? Yes, maybe, but it's not good news. An FBI sting has revealed an extensive operation among several universities to pay recruits to attend their schools, with the recruits retaining the services of financial managers if and when they make it to the NBA. The schools implicated so far are Arizona, USC, OK State, and Auburn, along with most likely Louisville and Miami. Louisville apparently funneled $100K secretly and illegally to a recruit. And this may be only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The shock, of course, is not that this is happening, but that so much hard evidence has now accumulated.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-probe-uncovers-massive-college-basketball-scandal-snaring-big-time-programs-144631716.html

Like you said, the worst kept secret but maybe college sports in general especially the ones that offer lucrative salaries post college are in for a shake up of sorts. Obviously it's not only success and history that attracts young players to certain colleges............
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

27 Sep 2017 14:01

Merckx index wrote:Can any sports story even temporarily supersede what happened this past weekend? Yes, maybe, but it's not good news. An FBI sting has revealed an extensive operation among several universities to pay recruits to attend their schools, with the recruits retaining the services of financial managers if and when they make it to the NBA. The schools implicated so far are Arizona, USC, OK State, and Auburn, along with most likely Louisville and Miami. Louisville apparently funneled $100K secretly and illegally to a recruit. And this may be only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The shock, of course, is not that this is happening, but that so much hard evidence has now accumulated.

This sounds like the SMU football scandal back in the 80s (though, on a much larger scale), ESPN did an excellent "30 for 30" documentary about it. http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=pony-excess

That this kind of corruption exists in college hoops should surprise no one, it'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

27 Sep 2017 19:35

I am really considering buying a League Pass for the upcoming season. Watched a fair amount of basketball back in the day but these off-season moves have really caught my attention. Melo, Russ and PG, Harden and Paul, Wade, Thomas and LBJ, the Thunder, the Spurs.. man, there are some extremely talented teams out West that I would like to watch. Meanwhile the East looks more trash than ever apart from Cavaliers obviously. Always been a West-guy, I remember I liked watching the Thunder, Warriors and Nuggets running up and down the floor all day.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

27 Sep 2017 20:23

Valv.Piti wrote:I am really considering buying a League Pass for the upcoming season. Watched a fair amount of basketball back in the day but these off-season moves have really caught my attention. Melo, Russ and PG, Harden and Paul, Wade, Thomas and LBJ, the Thunder, the Spurs.. man, there are some extremely talented teams out West that I would like to watch. Meanwhile the East looks more trash than ever apart from Cavaliers obviously. Always been a West-guy, I remember I liked watching the Thunder, Warriors and Nuggets running up and down the floor all day.

There are some exciting players entering the league or at least players that show a great deal of potential for excitement and one in particular who while not drafted this year, will be playing his first official game this season.
The new players I'm looking forward to watching are Dennis Smith Jr., a point guard with Dallas out of NC State and Ben Simmons who was the first pick by the 76ers in the 2016 draft but didn't play last year due to injuries.

I like the up-tempo game too, being a big fan of Magic and the Lakers back in the day (except when they were beating up on my Pistons!).
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re: Re:

27 Sep 2017 23:35

Angliru wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I am really considering buying a League Pass for the upcoming season. Watched a fair amount of basketball back in the day but these off-season moves have really caught my attention. Melo, Russ and PG, Harden and Paul, Wade, Thomas and LBJ, the Thunder, the Spurs.. man, there are some extremely talented teams out West that I would like to watch. Meanwhile the East looks more trash than ever apart from Cavaliers obviously. Always been a West-guy, I remember I liked watching the Thunder, Warriors and Nuggets running up and down the floor all day.

There are some exciting players entering the league or at least players that show a great deal of potential for excitement and one in particular who while not drafted this year, will be playing his first official game this season.
The new players I'm looking forward to watching are Dennis Smith Jr., a point guard with Dallas out of NC State and Ben Simmons who was the first pick by the 76ers in the 2016 draft but didn't play last year due to injuries.

I like the up-tempo game too, being a big fan of Magic and the Lakers back in the day (except when they were beating up on my Pistons!).

Be interesting to see how the Bucks go this season. A young team on the up by the looks of it. I am also interested to see how Simmons goes with so much hype about him before he was injured.
movingtarget
Veteran

28 Sep 2017 10:26

....rocking the college hoops world today.....this is a brutal, take no prisoners story....and deservedly so.....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20835496/louisville-coach-rick-pitino-find-way-trouble

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

28 Sep 2017 21:47

blutto wrote:....rocking the college hoops world today.....this is a brutal, take no prisoners story....and deservedly so.....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20835496/louisville-coach-rick-pitino-find-way-trouble

Cheers

Yep no wasted words there..........
movingtarget
Veteran

28 Sep 2017 23:47

movingtarget wrote:
blutto wrote:....rocking the college hoops world today.....this is a brutal, take no prisoners story....and deservedly so.....

Cheers

Yep no wasted words there..........
Let's see how "Slick Rick" finagles his way out of this one. Lol.
Nomad

29 Sep 2017 11:47

If Louisville has to vacate their 2013 national championship, I wonder does that mean the runner up, MIchigan, is declared national champion for that year?
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

29 Sep 2017 23:47

Angliru wrote:If Louisville has to vacate their 2013 national championship, I wonder does that mean the runner up, MIchigan, is declared national champion for that year?
As far as I know that title will be left vacated, with a possible asterisk.

Anyone know any better? (I'm much too busy and/or lazy to look it up.)

01 Oct 2017 19:07

Angliru wrote:

Thinking of following Warriors and Thunder, they are just so talented and explosive and play very high scoring games (I suppose). Pretty mainstream teams, yes, but have liked Warriors since Ellis-Curry and there was just something about Thunder that I liked with Russ, Harden and KD. KD is obviously at Warriors now, but Melo and Russ are also great fun to watch. I like Melos laid back attitude, he reminds me a bit about Ronaldinho.

Bucks seem super talented as well, same for T-Wolves. Im talking myself into buying LP now..
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

02 Oct 2017 14:09

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Angliru wrote:If Louisville has to vacate their 2013 national championship, I wonder does that mean the runner up, MIchigan, is declared national champion for that year?
As far as I know that title will be left vacated, with a possible asterisk.

Anyone know any better? (I'm much too busy and/or lazy to look it up.)
Update on this...

I haven't been able to find any vacated championship titles in NCAA basketball, and in college football there has been only one and that is USC's 2005 Orange Bowl title. (This was back during the BCS, Reggie Bush era.) On that note...

I re-watched the "Pony Excess" documentary again yesterday, the only team ever to get the NCAA death penalty was SMU's football team in the 80s. This not only killed SMU's football program for a season, it also messed up other teams' playing schedules where a lot money was involved. (TV rights and all that jive.) So I'd be really surprised if the NCAA themselves hand out a death penalty now to a basketball team, the Feds may not feel so generous, though.

This is a mess on such a massive scale, it'll be interesting to see if any players come out and say they've been paid by recruiters and agents to enroll at a specific school. Some of them I'm sure are already in the process of transferring to some other "less blemished" schools.

02 Oct 2017 19:37

Good article on the issue you brought up with the potential "death penalty" for Louisville:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/10/02/might-death-penalty-be-horizon-louisville-basketball
Nomad

PreviousNext

Return to General