Log in:  

Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

02 Oct 2017 20:00

Valv.Piti wrote:
Angliru wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I am really considering buying a League Pass for the upcoming season. Watched a fair amount of basketball back in the day but these off-season moves have really caught my attention. Melo, Russ and PG, Harden and Paul, Wade, Thomas and LBJ, the Thunder, the Spurs.. man, there are some extremely talented teams out West that I would like to watch. Meanwhile the East looks more trash than ever apart from Cavaliers obviously. Always been a West-guy, I remember I liked watching the Thunder, Warriors and Nuggets running up and down the floor all day.


There are some exciting players entering the league or at least players that show a great deal of potential for excitement and one in particular who while not drafted this year, will be playing his first official game this season.
The new players I'm looking forward to watching are Dennis Smith Jr., a point guard with Dallas out of NC State and Ben Simmons who was the first pick by the 76ers in the 2016 draft but didn't play last year due to injuries.

I like the up-tempo game too, being a big fan of Magic and the Lakers back in the day (except when they were beating up on my Pistons!).

Thinking of following Warriors and Thunder, they are just so talented and explosive and play very high scoring games (I suppose). Pretty mainstream teams, yes, but have liked Warriors since Ellis-Curry and there was just something about Thunder that I liked with Russ, Harden and KD. KD is obviously at Warriors now, but Melo and Russ are also great fun to watch. I like Melos laid back attitude, he reminds me a bit about Ronaldinho.

Bucks seem super talented as well, same for T-Wolves. Im talking myself into buying LP now..


We're on the same wavelength. :) Those same teams have been my favs to watch for years. Curry and Monta Ellis were the draw for me too. Westbrook's intensity and always high revving motor have always been a joy to watch.

The draw for me with the Bucks and the T-Wolves were their young guns, soon to be rulers of the NBA. Now the T-Wolves have added some veteran leadership to go with their young talent, they should be ready to make a run for the playoffs this year. The Bucks with the "Greek Freak" ready to make that next step to elite status like the your T-Wolves.

I'm very curious to see how the pairing of Chris Paul and James Harden works out especially with both accustomed to being the one running the show.

Edit: Funny (I have to laugh to keep from crying!) story relating to basketball and cycling: Coming up as a youngster basketball was my sport. Loved it then the way I love cycling now. By my late twenties to mid thirties cycling came into the picture and eventually pushed basketball to the side until it became a once a year activity at my family picnic. It would always start as just shooting around, evolving to playing 21 then half court and if feeling especially ambitious (stupid!), full court (which would last all of about 1 or 2 games before the August heat and sun would drain me). This year I began completely out of synch which was to be expected but things began to flow like the old days, the ball handling trickery (always loved the point guards!) slowly returned as did my shooting touch. When all that came together so did my motivation to lock up my opponent defensively. I soon began looking up at the sky hoping for the sun to go behind the clouds as it was sucking the life out of me such that I began looking on the sidelines for my back up point guard from the bench (there was none of course, the next generation of kinfolk aren't ballers at all). I had to quit mid game but the fact there weren't any protests from the other guys made me feel a little better knowing maybe they were as worn out as me.

As my family picnic involved missing cycling, this year I decided that I would take up my friend's idea of revisiting an old route that we used to regularly ride when we first founded our cycling club. Very hilly challenging route of about 40 miles the day following the picnic. I woke up sore as hell but figured I would ride the soreness away. Didn't happen but I didn't think too much about it as I was mad that half the group bailed mid ride, one being the dude who thought up the idea of the ride in the first place! So 3 bailed and 3 of us continued on, one guy being the strongest guy in the club.

Long story short, not allowing my old joints to recover from that hour and a half of basketball on asphalt resulted in the acceleration of the aging of my joints (or so it felt like for the following month and a half). Sharp knee pain 4 days after that infamous ride on my first ride meant I had to cut short a ride after 2 miles. I had occasional a minor hip issue prior to this and it also seemed to worsen. My doctor diagnosed it as tendonitis/arthritis and I am just now getting my knees to feeling somewhat normal. The hip is another story.

All a result of trying to revisit glory days of the past. Really just trying to have a little fun on the court but forgetting that one of the reasons I took up cycling was to avoid the common injuries that come with playing basketball. I kept saying that this year would be the year that I quit altogether but it was one year too much.
I'm back on the bike but getting out of the saddle is an issue and have yet to try any serious hills .
Last edited by Angliru on 02 Oct 2017 20:38, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,977
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

02 Oct 2017 20:05

Nomad wrote:Good article on the issue you brought up with the potential "death penalty" for Louisville:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/10/02/might-death-penalty-be-horizon-louisville-basketball
That is, indeed, a good article, it pretty much sums up most of my thoughts on this. (The only reason why it's not all of my thoughts is because we don't know what the Feds know.)

Louisville might get smacked the hardest because they may have been the most blatant offenders (again, we don't know what all the Feds know), by no means do I believe they are the only ones, though. The whole system is rotten through and through, I say do away with college basketball entirely because everyone knows college hoops are just a farm system for the NBA anyway. (At least in college football they mostly pretend they're getting an education and a degree, in hoops it's become more of a one-and-done situation.) This will never happen, though, hoops are too much of a cash cow for some schools. So round and round we go.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,743
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

03 Oct 2017 19:28

Haha, that was a great read. My only consideration is the price, I think its pretty spicy and a little too much. Then again I dont really wanna download the games and such, so thats probably the best and honestly only option to follow the league closely.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,380
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

03 Oct 2017 20:48

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Nomad wrote:Good article on the issue you brought up with the potential "death penalty" for Louisville:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/10/02/might-death-penalty-be-horizon-louisville-basketball
That is, indeed, a good article, it pretty much sums up most of my thoughts on this. (The only reason why it's not all of my thoughts is because we don't know what the Feds know.)

Louisville might get smacked the hardest because they may have been the most blatant offenders (again, we don't know what all the Feds know), by no means do I believe they are the only ones, though. The whole system is rotten through and through, I say do away with college basketball entirely because everyone knows college hoops are just a farm system for the NBA anyway. (At least in college football they mostly pretend they're getting an education and a degree, in hoops it's become more of a one-and-done situation.) This will never happen, though, hoops are too much of a cash cow for some schools. So round and round we go.


I think that would be a bit extreme. There are college players that are using basketball as a means to actually advance themselves. I would say that those involved in the unsavory type of activity are in the minority when you look at the entire landscape of the collegiate sport. I'm likely biased and selfish in my opinion on this as I would greatly miss certain aspects of the sport if it were eliminated altogether, especially March Madness.

Edit: Corrected (in bold)
Last edited by Angliru on 04 Oct 2017 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,977
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Re:

03 Oct 2017 20:52

Valv.Piti wrote:Haha, that was a great read. My only consideration is the price, I think its pretty spicy and a little too much. Then again I dont really wanna download the games and such, so thats probably the best and honestly only option to follow the league closely.


I don't watch it obsessively like I used to and the price is excessive for that package but I can still follow via highlights, youtube, the NBA website and app to kind of satisfy my NBA fix, keeping me caught up to a certain extent.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,977
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Re: Re:

04 Oct 2017 07:57

Angliru wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Haha, that was a great read. My only consideration is the price, I think its pretty spicy and a little too much. Then again I dont really wanna download the games and such, so thats probably the best and honestly only option to follow the league closely.


I don't watch it obsessively like I used to and the price is excessive for that package but I can still follow via highlights, youtube, the NBA website and app to kind of satisfy my NBA fix, keeping me caught up to a certain extent.

So you don't have LP?
Anyways, I never watch it live, back when I watched it a lot I only watched the day after. I like that way more than live since all breaks are cut out so a game doesn't take more than 1 hour and 30 minutes, that way you can watch a game a day or such. I just don't think I can follow it properly unless I actually watch the games, so.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,380
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

04 Oct 2017 12:24

Angliru wrote:I think that would be a bit extreme. There are college players that are using basketball as a means to actually advance themselves. I would say that those involved in the savory type of activity are in the minority when you look at the entire landscape of the collegiate sport. I'm likely biased and selfish in my opinion on this as I would greatly miss certain aspects of the sport if it were eliminated altogether, especially March Madness.
True, I love March Madness, it's actually the only time I really follow college basketball. (Have to fill out my annual brackets!)

I don't really know what the answer is, there are so many questions as to how to solve this corruption situation. One thing is for sure, though, if I were playing for a traditionally sucky team right now I'd feel slightly relieved. I'd be like - oh thank goodness we suck, maybe this means we're not under investigation! :lol:
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,743
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

18 Oct 2017 09:00

Horrific ankle fracture/dislocation sustained by Gordon Hayward. Possibly out for the season. Got to feel for the guy as this was his debut game as a Celtic. Class act by the Cleveland players with LeBron consoling Hayward as he was carted off the court.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/10/gordon_haywards_ankle_injury_i.html
Nomad
Junior Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 20 Apr 2016 01:39

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

18 Oct 2017 13:09

Nomad wrote:Horrific ankle fracture/dislocation sustained by Gordon Hayward. Possibly out for the season. Got to feel for the guy as this was his debut game as a Celtic. Class act by the Cleveland players with LeBron consoling Hayward as he was carted off the court.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/10/gordon_haywards_ankle_injury_i.html


Yes horrible incident six minutes into his first game for the new team.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

22 Oct 2017 03:40

Step is a liar-liar-pants on fire. Of course I appreciate his ability, but I've never really cared for his pretend zen. As he has become increasingly more spoiled, he can't control his act. Throwing your mouth piece (anything) is childish and chicken sh*t. Step, you're just a BB player.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,403
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

22 Oct 2017 11:47

jmdirt wrote:Step is a liar-liar-pants on fire. Of course I appreciate his ability, but I've never really cared for his pretend zen. As he has become increasingly more spoiled, he can't control his act. Throwing your mouth piece (anything) is childish and chicken sh*t. Step, you're just a BB player.


Yeah he seems to put off quite a few fans with some of his antics.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54


Yesterday 00:47

Great start to the season by the Celtics with 13 straight wins after two losses. Kyrie is really performing but the whole team are playing well. Ben Simmons and the 76ers are also doing well. The Bucks seem to be back on track after a few losses.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

Yesterday 13:15

movingtarget wrote:Great start to the season by the Celtics with 13 straight wins after two losses. Kyrie is really performing but the whole team are playing well. Ben Simmons and the 76ers are also doing well. The Bucks seem to be back on track after a few losses.

You mean 76'ers and Joel Embiid? He just wiped his *** in the Lakers today. What a downright incredible performance by Embiid. Him and Ben Simmons is the most lethal duo by far. Im a big fan!

The talent is overwhelming and this point and much of it is international. Giannis, Kristaps, Ben and Embiid all have an incredible high ceiling (well, they are pretty much dominating now anyways), its really a joy to see. Giannis is the best player of them right now and is a legit MVP candidate obviously, but If I had the chance to pick a player (guaranteeing health), Im picking Embiid without hesitation. And this is not speaking about Towns, Davis, Wiggins etc. as well. And the Celtics are obviously looking great, Tatum was a great pick and is playing superbly as well. Celtics and 76'ers will have be rivals for the many coming years.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,380
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Yesterday 16:07

Really entertaining game last night with a lot of young talent. Kuzma and Ingram really shone for the Lakers, and Simmons looked really good again. Embid was incredible. Love that he just nails every free throw. He seems to be a big man without a weakness other than lack of experience, which really isn't one for long. Ball appears to be completely useless. Can't shoot, doesn't want the ball, doesn't drive, can't defend. Not sure why people like Mark Jackson are saying he'll come around, it's really hard to see at this point.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,702
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 06:45

Re: Re:

Yesterday 20:07

Valv.Piti wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Great start to the season by the Celtics with 13 straight wins after two losses. Kyrie is really performing but the whole team are playing well. Ben Simmons and the 76ers are also doing well. The Bucks seem to be back on track after a few losses.

You mean 76'ers and Joel Embiid? He just wiped his *** in the Lakers today. What a downright incredible performance by Embiid. Him and Ben Simmons is the most lethal duo by far. Im a big fan!

The talent is overwhelming and this point and much of it is international. Giannis, Kristaps, Ben and Embiid all have an incredible high ceiling (well, they are pretty much dominating now anyways), its really a joy to see. Giannis is the best player of them right now and is a legit MVP candidate obviously, but If I had the chance to pick a player (guaranteeing health), Im picking Embiid without hesitation. And this is not speaking about Towns, Davis, Wiggins etc. as well. And the Celtics are obviously looking great, Tatum was a great pick and is playing superbly as well. Celtics and 76'ers will have be rivals for the many coming years.


Yes Embeid has been great and he and Simmons are combining so well. You can hear the excitement in the coach's voice when he is interviewed. Giannis is such a good defender as well and the Bucks shot blocking was the difference against the Pistons. Interesting times ahead with Jabari Parker still out injured for the Bucks and Thomas yet to get on the floor with the Cavs.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Back to top