Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

17 Jun 2016 12:46

I'll take the Cavs to win the title.
--tough to beat GS at Oracle
--James must continue to play like HE must win
jmdirt

Re:

17 Jun 2016 12:48

jmdirt wrote:I'll take the Cavs to win the title.
--tough to beat GS at Oracle
--James must continue to play like HE must win

I hope the Cavs win. It has been a great comeback.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Jun 2016 11:12

Is this the biggest game in the history of basketball?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

19 Jun 2016 12:31

The Hitch wrote:Is this the biggest game in the history of basketball?

Yes and no...
jmdirt

20 Jun 2016 03:46

Kind of a messy game, and series. I'm not sure the best team won, but Curry (GS, really) couldn't shoot well enough when it counted most, and I'm really happy for the fans of Cleveland. It's a great story for them.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

20 Jun 2016 04:22

Happy for CLE, the team and the City!

"I'm not sure the best team won" You can say that after one game, but a seven game series?
jmdirt

20 Jun 2016 05:38

Great game from Kyrie Irving in particular tonight
52520Andrew

20 Jun 2016 07:05

I don't know the game well enough to know if it was a good one or not, I loved it though and very happy that Cleveland came through in the end.

I've been watching each game since the Conference Semi's - was hoping OKC would go all the way......Steve Adams is a becoming a bit of a hero in these parts :)
Maybe next year?
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

Re:

20 Jun 2016 12:48

The Hitch wrote:Is this the biggest game in the history of basketball?

No.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

20 Jun 2016 13:23

Don't give a toss about basketball, but this is great for Cleveland, and I'm pleased for the city. I know what it's like to be title-starved.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

04 Jul 2016 18:29

Durant going to Golden State!!!

I never understand all this chopping and changing with these players...it can't be about the $$...surely??

Yeah, I know he wants a title ring, but OKC have that potential.

GSW have 3 super stars already and now KD!! - Unless others are on the move?

Re:

05 Jul 2016 00:11

JackRabbitSlims wrote:Durant going to Golden State!!!

I never understand all this chopping and changing with these players...it can't be about the $$...surely??

Yeah, I know he wants a title ring, but OKC have that potential.

GSW have 3 super stars already and now KD!! - Unless others are on the move?

I really thought that he was going to stay in OKC.
jmdirt

05 Jul 2016 13:18

Heard from GSW fan in SF that the Warriors will lose Bogut. He didn't mention anyone else.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

11 Jul 2016 18:36

11 Jul 2016 19:59

I don't much follow the NBA that close. Can someone explain to me how the Warriors can afford Durant and only lose maybe one (lesser) player in the process?

When they did the last CBA the one thing I remember hearing Stern and others talk about how this new contract would level the playing field and allow more teams to compete overall. But as I see it, even at the start of the season this year people said there were maybe 5 teams with a chance to win the title. Now, everyone is saying almost for certain we'll see Golden State vs. Cleveland for the third year in a row.

What gives?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re:

11 Jul 2016 23:07

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I don't much follow the NBA that close. Can someone explain to me how the Warriors can afford Durant and only lose maybe one (lesser) player in the process?

They in fact have lost six players so far, including two starters (Bogut and Barnes), and four bench players. Durant is obviously an upgrade on Barnes, but the Warriors haven't really gotten a full replacement for Bogut. They signed ZaZa Pachulia at a bargain price, and he may be better offensively than Bogut, but not on defense. That means more will be asked of Draymond Green, who hasn't helped matters by just getting arrested for assault.

The bottom line: the Warriors' starting five should be even better offensively next year, but with some defensive vulnerabilities, and their bench probably not as good. That matters a lot in the regular season. The bench played a big role in the 73 wins, not only by out-playing most of their counterparts, but playing nearly as well as and sometimes better than the starters of many teams, allowing the GS starters to rest much of the fourth quarter when the team had a decent lead. In the playoffs, though, the starters play a little more, and the bench deficits should not be as important.

There are other advantages of Durant. With four great players, the team can afford to lose one to injury. Curry's injury might have doomed the Warriors if they had had to play the Clippers instead of the Blazers in the second round, and it might have cost them the series against Cleveland, as he apparently was not quite 100%. A team with any three of Curry, Durant, Thompson, and Green would probably still be stronger than any of its opponents.

Durant's presence also allows the team to stagger the starters. They might not play all four of the stars together all the time, but have one or two of them usually playing with the bench, to strengthen the second team. That also makes sense because there may be diminishing returns with all four, i.e., when all four are on the floor at the same time, the team may not be able to maximize the contributions of each. Kerr will have to figure that out. I expect to see a lot of experimenting with different lineups.

When they did the last CBA the one thing I remember hearing Stern and others talk about how this new contract would level the playing field and allow more teams to compete overall. But as I see it, even at the start of the season this year people said there were maybe 5 teams with a chance to win the title. Now, everyone is saying almost for certain we'll see Golden State vs. Cleveland for the third year in a row.

There's a good chance of that. By adding Durant, the Warriors not only improved, they basically torpedoed OKC as a contender, and with Duncan retiring and Parker and Ginobili in decline, the Spurs really could have used Durant. So it's hard to see any team challenging GS in the west--I'd imagine the Clippers and the Blazers will be among the next-best teams--and Cleveland should be favored in the east. But LeBron is aging, and any decline in his performance (actually, it's already started) could be critical.
Last edited by Merckx index on 11 Jul 2016 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Merckx index

11 Jul 2016 23:12

Don't worry. The great 6ers will be a top team ASAP. A starting lineup of EMBIID, NOEL, SIMMONS, OKAFOR, and SARIC will tower over all other teams. 6ers to win NBA championships 2017-29, and 2031 as a last hurrah.

That's like 7'2", 6'11", 6'10", 6'11", and 6'10" by the way...
"Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place."
User avatar Sciocco

11 Jul 2016 23:51

As I pay more attention to the NCAA, on paper the Sixers do look like a team built for 2018 and beyond, size or not. That's a heap of young talent. But if they were worst in the NBA last year, is Simmons really going to put them over the top? We'll see I guess.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

12 Jul 2016 00:45

I like the wolves better. They have the previous 3 #1 draft players and though 1 is a bust, the other 2 both won rookie of the year and have proven themselves really good. Wiggins is already a all star and KAT is being regarded as potentially the best player drafted this decade. That's 2 superstars they can ride like thunder rode kd and Westbrook. On top of that they have the 2 time slam dunk champion as sg, two young number 5 overall picks as pg and a well respected coach.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

12 Jul 2016 12:57

Alpe d'Huez wrote:As I pay more attention to the NCAA, on paper the Sixers do look like a team built for 2018 and beyond, size or not. That's a heap of young talent. But if they were worst in the NBA last year, is Simmons really going to put them over the top? We'll see I guess.

No, but I've read that he is playing really well in summer ball.
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General