Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 Nov 2017 23:09

Im halfway serious about Lonzo. Granted I've only watched him 2-3 games, but he has been horrible in all the games I've watched. He has no attitude, he isn't athletic and his shot is atrocious.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

17 Nov 2017 23:31

Valv.Piti wrote:Im halfway serious about Lonzo. Granted I've only watched him 2-3 games, but he has been horrible in all the games I've watched. He has no attitude, he isn't athletic and his shot is atrocious.

I haven't watched a full Lakers game, only highlights and sometimes I'll watch some reports and maybe an odd interview. The TNT guys are the best, imho. They obviously know their basketball and they are very funny. Barkley is probably one of the most honest, straightshooting/straighforward people in US sports and has been that for a while. I like what he says most of the time. His and O'neal's comments on Ball were right now.

Lonzo hasn't impressed me, but again, it's the highlights. He does have an ugly shot and when he's made mistakes, they've been real bad mistakes. It's as if he is extremely lazy or extremely nervous.

He'll have some good games, but I don't see him being the 'next great NBA player.'
BullsFan22

Re: Re:

18 Nov 2017 00:51

BullsFan22 wrote:Barkley is probably one of the most honest, straightshooting/straighforward people in US sports and has been that for a while. I like what he says most of the time.

I used to like Barkley for his honesty, but unfortunately, one can be honestly stupid and ignorant, and he frequently is. He has trashed modern sports analytics, saying it’s just something the geeks who couldn’t get girls in high school created to make themselves important. He derided the Warriors as a “jump-shooting team” that would be exposed. When NFL RB Adrian Peterson was revealed to have beaten one of his kids with a stick, Barkley said “every African-American parent in the south” does that.

And his predictions are often embarrassing, as when he said the Celtics would lose to the Warriors and not hold them to 94 points. Sure, everyone makes predictions that turn out to be wrong, and in fact that particular prediction seemed pretty safe, but Barkley makes them so positively, implying that anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot, that he looks like a fool when they don’t turn out. In fact, he's victim to one of the surest indicators of poor sports knowledge (going back to his ignorance of analytics): recency bias. That's frequently on full display during the playoffs, as in 2016, when he predicted OKC would go all the way when they were up 3-1 on the Warriors.
Merckx index

18 Nov 2017 02:10

Merckx index wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:Barkley is probably one of the most honest, straightshooting/straighforward people in US sports and has been that for a while. I like what he says most of the time.

I used to like Barkley for his honesty, but unfortunately, one can be honestly stupid and ignorant, and he frequently is. He has trashed modern sports analytics, saying it’s just something the geeks who couldn’t get girls in high school created to make themselves important. He derided the Warriors as a “jump-shooting team” that would be exposed. When NFL RB Adrian Peterson was revealed to have beaten one of his kids with a stick, Barkley said “every African-American parent in the south” does that.

And his predictions are often embarrassing, as when he said the Celtics would lose to the Warriors and not hold them to 94 points. Sure, everyone makes predictions that turn out to be wrong, and in fact that particular prediction seemed pretty safe, but Barkley makes them so positively, implying that anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot, that he looks like a fool when they don’t turn out. In fact, he's victim to one of the surest indicators of poor sports knowledge (going back to his ignorance of analytics): recency bias. That's frequently on full display during the playoffs, as in 2016, when he predicted OKC would go all the way when they were up 3-1 on the Warriors.

Yeah well sometimes he is right but when he is wrong he is spectacularly wrong ! I find the NBA panel show he is part of, pretty painful.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

18 Nov 2017 02:12

Valv.Piti wrote:Im halfway serious about Lonzo. Granted I've only watched him 2-3 games, but he has been horrible in all the games I've watched. He has no attitude, he isn't athletic and his shot is atrocious.

A really good coach could do more with him but he hasn't been consistently bad. He's also had some great games.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

22 Nov 2017 14:15

It's odd to me that player movement and spacing the floor isn't a standard requirement for any NBA offense. I think that Casey should fear for his job or at least feel a bit less secure in his position as head coach.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

23 Nov 2017 20:33

Interesting day of games. The Heat down the high flying Celtics and Oklahoma down the Warriors.
movingtarget
Veteran

23 Jan 2018 13:54

I haven't watched hardly any NBA this season, I just read the box scores and hear things via sports radio during my commute. It seems that there is an officiating issue going on. Players and coaches have complained about officials for ever, but this is different, I wonder if it will implode?
jmdirt

Re:

23 Jan 2018 16:48

jmdirt wrote:I haven't watched hardly any NBA this season, I just read the box scores and hear things via sports radio during my commute. It seems that there is an officiating issue going on. Players and coaches have complained about officials for ever, but this is different, I wonder if it will implode?

As I understand it, they have a relatively new crew of officials that are learning to officiate at the professional level on the fly. One incident in particular stands out for me. Sean Livingston of the Warriors was called for a foul and as players will sometimes do, he didn't agree with the call and approached the official to let him know it. The official moved towards Livingston and in the process, continued aggressively until the player was actually backing up. Face to face at this point the official pretty much head-butted Livingston and then proceeded to toss him out of the game for making contact with an official! The NBA investigated the altercation and gave the official a week long suspension for his part in the incident while Livingston was given I believe a 3-5 game suspension.

I believe it's a case of the officials trying to gain respect while in the process over stepping and causing themselves to be too prominent in the games instead of actually focusing on calling the game as accurately and fairly as they can. The players themselves are just as guilty as it is a too common occurrence for players to dispute every call made against them and to complain when they feel a call has been missed. This especially applies to the some of the elite players in the league.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

24 Jan 2018 13:41

Angliru wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I haven't watched hardly any NBA this season, I just read the box scores and hear things via sports radio during my commute. It seems that there is an officiating issue going on. Players and coaches have complained about officials for ever, but this is different, I wonder if it will implode?

As I understand it, they have a relatively new crew of officials that are learning to officiate at the professional level on the fly. One incident in particular stands out for me. Sean Livingston of the Warriors was called for a foul and as players will sometimes do, he didn't agree with the call and approached the official to let him know it. The official moved towards Livingston and in the process, continued aggressively until the player was actually backing up. Face to face at this point the official pretty much head-butted Livingston and then proceeded to toss him out of the game for making contact with an official! The NBA investigated the altercation and gave the official a week long suspension for his part in the incident while Livingston was given I believe a 3-5 game suspension.

I believe it's a case of the officials trying to gain respect while in the process over stepping and causing themselves to be too prominent in the games instead of actually focusing on calling the game as accurately and fairly as they can. The players themselves are just as guilty as it is a too common occurrence for players to dispute every call made against them and to complain when they feel a call has been missed. This especially applies to the some of the elite players in the league.

Without a doubt!

KD got tossed last night. The officials won't gain respect from the stars or the fans when they eject players (stars) on a regular basis and/or hear the player contend that the refs are targeting them.
jmdirt

08 Feb 2018 23:56

Cavs make a few late trade moves. Isaiah traded to the Lakers and Wade back to the Heat. Schumpert and Rose, Crowder and Frye also gone. Don't see the new pick ups making too much difference re the playoffs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErRsK1F-XI&t=80s
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

14 Feb 2018 19:04

movingtarget wrote:Cavs make a few late trade moves. Isaiah traded to the Lakers and Wade back to the Heat. Schumpert and Rose, Crowder and Frye also gone. Don't see the new pick ups making too much difference re the playoffs :

It appears that the new picks have injected new life into a team that previously was completely lacking energy, cohesiveness and simple motivation. The way they dismantled Boston on their own court was quite impressive, especially when you consider the contributions of the new players and how seamlessly they have meshed with the existing team. Clarkson especially, showed that he will be a major problem for other teams bench players to contain. I always saw him as a player that was underrated since his arrival in the league with the Lakers and his versatility as a shooting guard that can also play the point in a pinch, will add to the Cavalier's offensive potency. Add to that the fact that the new players are still building to their prime while the ones they are replacing were all for the most part on the decline performance wise, with the exception of Thomas, and even his full recovery from his hip injury leaves his value in decline compared to playoff time last year.

IMO they are now back as favorites in the east, have only showed hints of what they can ultimately become. The new players are hungry, talented and seem to be pieces that fit ideally in a team that has LeBron as the primary facilitator. Hood, Nance Jr, and Clarkson can all run the floor. Hood and Clarkson can both shoot and create shots for themselves and they haven't the ego's that would create conflicts arising from not getting the 'touches' that they feel they might deserve. Add to that they are all willing and able defenders. Something that could not be said about Rose and Thomas.

The Cav's general manager deserves a praise for this brilliant transformation from a team in a death spiral to what could be a threat to win a championship. I think they are a better team (when you add Kevin Love to the mix after he returns from his injury) than last year's with Kyrie at the point.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

14 Feb 2018 22:08

Angliru wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Cavs make a few late trade moves. Isaiah traded to the Lakers and Wade back to the Heat. Schumpert and Rose, Crowder and Frye also gone. Don't see the new pick ups making too much difference re the playoffs :

It appears that the new picks have injected new life into a team that previously was completely lacking energy, cohesiveness and simple motivation. The way they dismantled Boston on their own court was quite impressive, especially when you consider the contributions of the new players and how seamlessly they have meshed with the existing team. Clarkson especially, showed that he will be a major problem for other teams bench players to contain. I always saw him as a player that was underrated since his arrival in the league with the Lakers and his versatility as a shooting guard that can also play the point in a pinch, will add to the Cavalier's offensive potency. Add to that the fact that the new players are still building to their prime while the ones they are replacing were all for the most part on the decline performance wise, with the exception of Thomas, and even his full recovery from his hip injury leaves his value in decline compared to playoff time last year.

IMO they are now back as favorites in the east, have only showed hints of what they can ultimately become. The new players are hungry, talented and seem to be pieces that fit ideally in a team that has LeBron as the primary facilitator. Hood, Nance Jr, and Clarkson can all run the floor. Hood and Clarkson can both shoot and create shots for themselves and they haven't the ego's that would create conflicts arising from not getting the 'touches' that they feel they might deserve. Add to that they are all willing and able defenders. Something that could not be said about Rose and Thomas.

The Cav's general manager deserves a praise for this brilliant transformation from a team in a death spiral to what could be a threat to win a championship. I think they are a better team (when you add Kevin Love to the mix after he returns from his injury) than last year's with Kyrie at the point.

Yeah the new players are doing well so far. The Isaiah Thomas signing was a mistake which they acknowledged by trading him and Kevin Love will be back before the playoffs. I think the Cavs always were favorites in the East and no one expected Boston to continue in the same fashion. Toronto are looking good but they always have trouble in the playoffs. The Bucks have improved but have some injury issues at the moment but they at least have Jabari Parker back. Logic says that the Cavs make it out of the East. The Rockets are doing well but I expect another Cavs/Golden State final series. The big question is does Lebron stay with the Cavs after this season. Some think he will now.
movingtarget
Veteran

18 Feb 2018 02:11

All-Star anybody?
Pretty weak Three-Point contest... for now, at least.

... And Booker breaks the record, imagine.

Homage evening in Slam Dunk contest.
Nice
User avatar sir fly

Re:

18 Feb 2018 11:59

sir fly wrote:All-Star anybody?
Pretty weak Three-Point contest... for now, at least.

... And Booker breaks the record, imagine.

Homage evening in Slam Dunk contest.
Nice

Not for me. Wake me when it's over.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Mar 2018 00:21

Sorry, not an NBA fan. However the NCAA Tournament is starting this week. Hopefully I can find a way to get all my work done for the week before Thursday afternoon so I can sit down and watch first round Tournament games. Plus 1 set of brackets already filled out.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

12 Mar 2018 00:58

Koronin wrote:Sorry, not an NBA fan. However the NCAA Tournament is starting this week. Hopefully I can find a way to get all my work done for the week before Thursday afternoon so I can sit down and watch first round Tournament games. Plus 1 set of brackets already filled out.

GU will be playing a five minute ride from my house! Not only do I enjoy the regional tournament contender, my sister is a GU alum.
jmdirt

12 Mar 2018 01:11

jmdirt wrote:
Koronin wrote:Sorry, not an NBA fan. However the NCAA Tournament is starting this week. Hopefully I can find a way to get all my work done for the week before Thursday afternoon so I can sit down and watch first round Tournament games. Plus 1 set of brackets already filled out.

GU will be playing a five minute ride from my house! Not only do I enjoy the regional tournament contender, my sister is a GU alum.

Wow, that's cool. Are you going to the game? If you do, enjoy it. Living 5 minutes away I'd have a hard time not getting tickets and going.
User avatar Koronin

12 Mar 2018 12:27

Koronin wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

Wow, that's cool. Are you going to the game? If you do, enjoy it. Living 5 minutes away I'd have a hard time not getting tickets and going.

Depends on work, but hopefully.
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General