Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

29 Apr 2014 05:43

It’s not that easy for the NBA to do anything. A fine and suspension maybe, but that won’t solve the problem, as there is no amount you could fine a billionaire that would make any difference to him.

The NBA wants him out, but if they try to force him to sell at below market, they do risk a serious lawsuit. They might argue that he has broken some NBA non-discrimination rule, but going from public statements to actual proof of discrimination—remember he just hired a black coach—is problematic. And even other owners who may find Sterling despicable may worry about precedent, as in, anything that the commissioner or some other owners don’t like about you is enough to get you out. They do have to proceed very cautiously here.

Another thing to keep in mind is that though Stiviano’s lawyer denies it, this was probably a setup, i.e., Stiviano was upset that Sterling wanted her to return all the lavish gifts, that he was not challenging his wife’s description of them as embezzlement (what a joke that is!), and so probably trapped Sterling in revenge. But she would have to deny it, because recording a phone conversation without permission is against the law. For this reason, also, Stiviano, who is under no legal obligation to talk to the NBA, almost certainly will not.

I really agree with Scott that Sterling is conflicted. All these anti-minority statements and he has a GF who is half black and half Hispanic. Reminds me of those old Southern plantation owners who fathered children with some of their slaves. And while DW is right that someone with Sterling's known discriminatory background never should have been allowed to own a franchise in the first place, you also have to wonder why he would want to, given that 70% of the players are African-American.
Merckx index

29 Apr 2014 12:08

I think this is the pick of the protest signs so far. As for authenticity of the audio recording, Larry King, who has known this schmuck for decades, confirmed last night that the voice is definitely Sterling. The consensus of opinion seems to be that he cannot continue as an owner, but that the trick will be how to 'make him' sell. Apparently, he originally paid around 60m for the franchise, but could expect to sell for ten times that amount today. Murica.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

29 Apr 2014 12:45

Don't think for a second that the owners of other teams, league officials, and the players association, and fans even, can't put tremendous pressure on Sterling to sell the team. Maybe they can't easily force him to legally, but they can make his life miserable in so many ways. What's more important to Sterling? Actually owning the team? Or being able to not have your face plastered all across the planet in the most negative light possible?

As of right now, the guy is getting seriously destroyed in every sports outlet. I honestly don't see how he survives this, with little rebuke. It's only a matter of time before some of the more respected owners come out condemning him and saying he needs to go.

If I were Sterling I'd take the high road as best as possible. Admit he's had issues he's tried to resolve for years, apologize profusely for the statements, not attend any more games or interact with the players or coaching staff, and agree to sell the team as soon as he gets a reasonable offer. He could even spin it a little saying he's doing it out of love for the entire LA Clippers family and hates seeing them hurt by his misspoken words.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

29 Apr 2014 18:44

Donald Sterling-$2.5 million dollar fine and banned from the NBA for life.

The NBA will seek to have Sterling sell the team.
User avatar Berzin

29 Apr 2014 18:51

Yeah, I think the public outcry was so great that Silver had to come down hard. He still has to get a 3/4 vote of the owners, but after all that's been said, I can't imagine an owner not voting yes.

But Sterling can fight this, and probably will. Without the Clippers, he's just another wealthy slumlord. As we saw with Armstrong, it's hard to give up those Hollywood connections. Doesn't seem like the type to go quietly.

OTOH, early reports are that there might be a bidding war for the team, with a price as high as $1 billion. Sterling bought the team for $12.5 million. Nice capital gain.

A reporter who talked to Sterling just prior to the NBA announcement said the owner said he is not going to sell the team.
Merckx index

29 Apr 2014 20:39

Not too shocked, and mostly happy that Silver stepped to the plate here. I also credit him for doing what I said in my other post about confronting Sterling about the recording. Article here.

But I agree Merckx, nearly all I hear about the guy is that he's not going to go quietly. His ego has been stroked probably for the last 50+ years of his life with people holding doors for him and every other chore, task and favor. When someone like this gets told they can't have what they want...
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

29 Apr 2014 20:58

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Not too shocked, and mostly happy that Silver stepped to the plate here. I also credit him for doing what I said in my other post about confronting Sterling about the recording. Article here.

But I agree Merckx, nearly all I hear about the guy is that he's not going to go quietly. His ego has been stroked probably for the last 50+ years of his life with people holding doors for him and every other chore, task and favor. When someone like this gets told they can't have what they want...

If he walks this path he does at his own peril. He will get smashed, literally. The racist charge will be hurled his way at every attempt to retain ownership (rightly so)... not to mention the collapse in the value of his franchise if he makes any attempt to stick it out. Plus, it sounds like Silver has all the green lights he needs to make life extremely difficult should Sterling fail to do the right thing.

The very best thing he could do is go away and never be heard from again. It's that simple.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

29 Apr 2014 21:21

Scott SoCal wrote:If he walks this path he does at his own peril. He will get smashed, literally. The racist charge will be hurled his way at every attempt to retain ownership (rightly so)... not to mention the collapse in the value of his franchise if he makes any attempt to stick it out. Plus, it sounds like Silver has all the green lights he needs to make life extremely difficult should Sterling fail to the right thing.

The very best thing he could do is go away and never be heard from again. It's that simple.

Well said,everyone on this thread is in total agreement,what an odious individual,scumbag of the highest order.May not go quietly but he's finished in the NBA,that much is clear.
Tournesol

30 Apr 2014 12:52

Tournesol wrote:Well said,everyone on this thread is in total agreement,what an odious individual,scumbag of the highest order.May not go quietly but he's finished in the NBA,that much is clear.

Can ya imagine climbing into the sack with that slug? I guess money talks pretty loud to his now 'ex' girlfriend...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 16:24

I thought the other items were pretty good reasons to act.
Wife on one side and "girlfriend" on other - family sport - right?
Slum-lord?
Din't hear anything about that.

I'm thinking there may be a chapter II.
The tape. If his girlfriend had money it would be interesting to see if she was in any trouble. In California, both parties have to consent to the recording. What I don't know is if the recording is consented to, what can be done with it.
sponsor

30 Apr 2014 17:25

The girlfriend is basically trash from all I can tell. But that doesn't excuse him.

His fighting this will do him no good. Look at it this way. He can drag it out all right, but his life is basically ruined. He won't be allowed to attend any games, any team functions. Anyone who recognizes him anywhere is likely to refuse service to him. That means no box seats at Dodger games. No tickets to the symphony, no special meal in the private are of the restaurant. He goes out in public people who recognize him are likely to stare, point fingers, some may even let into him. He'd even run the risk of being assaulted, or worse. So he can hold onto the team as long as he can as it's legal owner. He can have his billions of dollars, but he has to do so alone.

The only path out of this for him is the opposite of how he seems to have have lived his life. That is to be humble and contrite. To profusely apologize, admit he was wrong and shameful, and agree to sell the team as soon as possible.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 18:30

Alpe d'Huez wrote:The girlfriend is basically trash from all I can tell. But that doesn't excuse him.

His fighting this will do him no good. Look at it this way. He can drag it out all right, but his life is basically ruined. He won't be allowed to attend any games, any team functions. Anyone who recognizes him anywhere is likely to refuse service to him. That means no box seats at Dodger games. No tickets to the symphony, no special meal in the private are of the restaurant. He goes out in public people who recognize him are likely to stare, point fingers, some may even let into him. He'd even run the risk of being assaulted, or worse. So he can hold onto the team as long as he can as it's legal owner. He can have his billions of dollars, but he has to do so alone.

The only path out of this for him is the opposite of how he seems to have have lived his life. That is to be humble and contrite. To profusely apologize, admit he was wrong and shameful, and agree to sell the team as soon as possible.

It will cost him a huge chunk of his fortune. Silver has the power to 1) Nullify his franchise, and/or 2) Declare all players free-agents at the end of the season.

If he fights this, who will he attract to play? Nobody. Nobody will play for that owner. I could easily see the players association taking care of the draftees as they sit out a season rather than being forced to play in hostile work conditions.

He's done in the NBA although he may be dumb enough not to realize it.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 19:36

At one point in their history, the team drafted Danny Ferry very high up in the NBA draft (a first team all-american from Duke University). Ferry refused to play for them and the Clippers had to trade him before he ever suited up.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 22:59

A high-profile group consisting of Oprah Winfrey. Larry Ellison and David Geffen is reportedly interested in buying the Clippers.

Here is a good discussion of the obstacles that Sterling may create to selling [url][/url]. In addition to not wanting to lose his toy, Sterling could be motivated by avoiding having to pay capital gains taxes, which might exceed $300 million, most of which would be avoided if the franchise were passed on to other family members after his death. Some of the more interesting issues that could crop up if Sterling sues to prevent being forced to sell include: 1) He could file an antitrust suit, arguing that Silver and the other owners colluded to oust him. The treble damages rule would be in effect if he won. 2) He could demand a discovery process that would reveal racist comments made by other owners, to demonstrate that he was being unfairly singled out; 3) if his wife Shelley sues for divorce, she could use the community property situation to delay sale.

Shelley, by the way, despite her attempt to portray herself as a poor woman caught in a situation not of her making, [url=190659849.html[/URL]https://twitter.com/kevinarnovitz/status/460533252877320192/photo/1]may not be a lot different from her hubbie[/url].

In short, Sterling could prolong and intensify the embarrassment he has caused the NBA. Even if he lost in the end, he could provide the league with negative publicity for years. And will anyone ever again want to praise someone by describing him as having a "sterling reputation"?
Merckx index

01 May 2014 01:25

patricknd

01 May 2014 04:51

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote:He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

+1000000

It never ceased to amaze me how here in the USA the racism is extremely marked & imprinted in its society with the disguise of "tolerance & compassion" while sheltering so many ethnic groups/minorities, which are always looked as 3rd class citizens.....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

01 May 2014 09:31

I didn´t dare to care about this soap opera, but I decided to give my two cents, b/c I can´t believe what I read in german media:

So a owner who made billions with real estate (ethical doubtful), didn´t let minorities live in his owned flats (ethical doubtful), but gets the $hitstorm b/c he offended the hooker who dated him? :eek:
Omg, Germany gets all the $hit circa 20 years (sometimes less) later that has its origins in gods own country (McDonalds, Friedman capitalism, shareholder value, surveillance of its people, to name a few things).
So in the land of the free, and of free speech, you can be forced to sell your property and can get boycotted in society, when you have a private conversation thats not to the liking of the manipulated masses? Wow, if even the rich are not protected from political correctness, I wonder what can happen to Average Joe. He is practically without rights.
Nice freedom and democracy. But OTOH its ok if the puppet of his masters (speak Obama) leads a drone war to kill innocent people around the world. No $hitstorm from the masses happens when the average american gets milked more and more in the name of capitalism to make the rich richer, and so on...
All I see in the once great and beautiful country is decadence. It´s time that the USA gets downsized. Nobody wants all the muck from there (gender mainstream, political correctness until one vomits, Friedman imperialism that makes a few rich and let the others suffer), unless you don´t believe in freedom and have no working brain cell left.

And no, I am no racist. What Sterling said is wrong. And I absolutely dislike capitalists who made their money on the back of the poor. But it was a private conversation which leads to robbery of his rights. That is the problem here. It can happen to anyone who says the wrong things or met the wrong gold digger. That is GDR-like. Puke!
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

01 May 2014 09:55

Wonder if Tony Allen will let KD out of his back pocket next game lol they are in real trouble. KD is no were near LBJ level.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

01 May 2014 10:35

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:So in the land of the free, and of free speech, you can be forced to sell your property and can get boycotted in society, when you have a private conversation thats not to the liking of the manipulated masses? Wow, if even the rich are not protected from political correctness, I wonder what can happen to Average Joe. He is practically without rights.

Actually, no, it’s just the opposite. An ordinary person can make comments like this without repercussions. Sterling is held to a different standard because as an owner of a pro sports team, what he says has an impact on that team. The NBA sells tolerance, non-discrimination, and when you make racist comments, you are not fulfilling the duties of your job.

Suppose the President of General Motors made comments disparaging cars. Free speech? Of course. But it would be an indication that he isn’t qualified to hold that particular job. Whereas if someone on the assembly line made the same comments, no one would care.

Nobody is arguing that Sterling broke any laws by making those statements, that he ought to go to jail. The argument is that he isn’t fit to be an owner. An owner is highly visible publicly, everything he says can potentially affect the fortunes of his team. Such unprofessional conduct is a reasonable justification for trying to oust him.

Another example of different standards applied to celebrities is defamation lawsuits. It’s relatively easy for an ordinary person to win that kind of lawsuit if someone makes an unsubstantiated charge against him. It’s far more difficult for a celebrity to win such a suit. Celebrities, by their much greater visibility to the public, are thought to be fair game for such charges.

Another example: Remember when Armstrong complained about not getting due process? The counter argument was that when he applied for a pro cycling license, he agreed to submit to their rules. If he didn't like those rules, which don't provide all the rights that ordinary citizens are entitled to, he could seek some other profession. It's really the same thing here. If Sterling wants to be an owner of an NBA team, he agrees to a certain level of conduct consistent with the environment that the league seeks to create. If he doesn't like that, he can go back to being a slumlord.
Merckx index

01 May 2014 11:00

As I understood from "our" press, that was a private conversation. Illegally taped (by the $lut in question to milk money off the rich owner? I am eager to know). What is any tiny bit left of your country democracy if not even privacy is protected anymore? Of course it would be different if he stands on a podium, or a PC, or doing an interview and making rascist statements. Or if he speaks in the name of the Clippers in a private dinner with witnesses around him...
But it shall not be allowed that manipulated masses can take the law in their hands and thus spit on your founding law. Your country is back to vigilantism. What´s next?
NSA tapes every private conversation, makes it public to get rid of unpleasant persons?

I mean what happened here? A old man was hot tempered because he thought he owns his young gold digger. Ok, that was dumb. No 80 year old should think a young chick loves him solely. She is for his wealth. No more, no less. OTOH, I understand him. He was horny, and couldn´t accept he had to share his toy with others. That led to his explosion. Can happen to anybody. No big deal. The masses made it one. Disgusting.
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General