Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

22 Aug 2018 01:48

It seems that the witch hunt is turning up a few witches...
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,196
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

22 Aug 2018 06:47

“Individual 1” :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,994
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

22 Aug 2018 07:48

Drain the Swamp!
https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article217106635.html
U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter and his wife were charged Tuesday with using more than $250,000 in campaign funds to finance family trips to Italy and Hawaii, golf outings, school tuition, theater tickets — even fast food purchases — and attempting to disguise the illegal spending in federal records, prosecutors said.
...
Hunter was among the earliest Republican members of Congress to endorse President Donald Trump and Vega's letter suggested his outspoken support made him a target for what he described as politically biased prosecutors.
...
Another early Trump supporter, Republican U.S. Rep. Chris Collins of New York, ended his re-election bid this month, days after his indictment on insider trading charges.
...
According to the indictment, in 2015 Hunter attempted to set up a day tour of a U.S. naval facility in Italy in order to justify the use of campaign funds during a vacation with his family. When the proposed date didn't work out, he told his chief of staff, "Tell the Navy to go (expletive) themselves," the documents said.

The couple spent more than $1,500 on video games in 2015; and spent $6,288.74 to take his family on a vacation to a resort in Lahaina, Hawaii, the same year, the indictment said. Other spending included dental work, lavish dinners and movie tickets, prosecutors said.

In April 2015, Margaret Hunter spent nearly $1,000 in campaign funds to fly her mother and her mother's boyfriend to Poland and later told the campaign treasurer they were campaign trips to New Orleans and Kentucky.

His lawyers said in 2017 that Hunter and his wife repaid the campaign about $60,000.

Hunter's office said at the time that one of the charges he repaid was a $600 fee for flying a pet bunny with his family. There was no intent to stick donors with the cost, then-Hunter spokesman Joe Kasper said at the time.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,994
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re: Re:

22 Aug 2018 13:07

jmdirt wrote:While I understand what you are saying, the bold above is frighteningly true (not crap at all) no matter which 'side' you are on.


It's crap that there is any kind of equivalency in this regard. Look at indictments in respective administrations over time. The argument is the 2nd grade standard, "but...everyone was doing it". No, no they're not. And that's not an excuse, it's a dodge.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 06:45

Re: U.S. Politics

22 Aug 2018 13:36

The question now is, if impeached, will the GOP support it and have this corrupt Butt-Nugget removed or will it become a a TV moment? Little doubt that if Cohen committed a crime, at trump's direction, trump committed a crime BUT according to legal precedent, a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted..needs to be via the articles of Impeachment. But he can be subpoenaed. I predict trump will get smacked with not only a DEM congress but a Mueller report that says he's guilty of conspiracy and obstruction..and he resigns ala nixon..Pence, uggh, christian ayatollah.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,103
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: U.S. Politics

22 Aug 2018 14:05

Bustedknuckle wrote:The question now is, if impeached, will the GOP support it and have this corrupt Butt-Nugget removed or will it become a a TV moment? Little doubt that if Cohen committed a crime, at trump's direction, trump committed a crime BUT according to legal precedent, a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted..needs to be via the articles of Impeachment. But he can be subpoenaed. I predict trump will get smacked with not only a DEM congress but a Mueller report that says he's guilty of conspiracy and obstruction..and he resigns ala nixon..Pence, uggh, christian ayatollah.


There is no precedent about indicting a sitting president. My guess is that it would be okay, because if it happened the president would be indicted by his own staff (which he has the constitutional authority to direct). The flip side of this, however, is that the president could fire everyone in the justice department until he reached a person who would dismiss the indictment. At any event, indicting a president would create a gigantic constitutional crisis. I don't think it ever will happen.

I expect that, one way or another, the investigation materials will make their way to the Republican Congress and they will have to decide upon impeachment or not. With this Congress, that is about as scary as it can get.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,229
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 20:13

Re: U.S. Politics

22 Aug 2018 14:07

MarkvW wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:The question now is, if impeached, will the GOP support it and have this corrupt Butt-Nugget removed or will it become a a TV moment? Little doubt that if Cohen committed a crime, at trump's direction, trump committed a crime BUT according to legal precedent, a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted..needs to be via the articles of Impeachment. But he can be subpoenaed. I predict trump will get smacked with not only a DEM congress but a Mueller report that says he's guilty of conspiracy and obstruction..and he resigns ala nixon..Pence, uggh, christian ayatollah.


There is no precedent about indicting a sitting president. My guess is that it would be okay, because if it happened the president would be indicted by his own staff (which he has the constitutional authority to direct). The flip side of this, however, is that the president could fire everyone in the justice department until he reached a person who would dismiss the indictment. At any event, indicting a president would create a gigantic constitutional crisis. I don't think it ever will happen.

I expect that, one way or another, the investigation materials will make their way to the Republican Congress and they will have to decide upon impeachment or not. With this Congress, that is about as scary as it can get.


Yup
“Trump is clearly guilty of violating campaign finance laws and also guilty of federal conspiracy as well (because he agreed with Cohen, and possibly others, on a plan to violate federal law),” Cornell’s Jens David Ohlin said to Illing. “Normally he would be indicted right away. But that won’t happen only because he’s the president.”

In other words, Cohen, a longtime aide to Trump, is now on the record as saying that Trump engaged in a serious federal crime. That is an impeachable offense, and if Trump weren’t president, he would likely be charged as well. In a normal presidency, the Cohen plea would be a moment of severe crisis, possibly the beginning of the end. There is no indication from Republicans in Congress that that’s the case now.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,103
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: U.S. Politics

22 Aug 2018 15:00

Read thru a recap of trump's tirade in West Virginia..lies, stories, BS..unfortunately this arena of deplorables believe this tripe..
"With all the Secret Service — and they're fantastic people — but it sort of holds you back. Maybe sometimes I'll just make a few trips without them ... but we're gonna be out a lot. We're going to a lot of different states. And I’m coming back here before the election," he said.


Hmm, bet more than a few wish he would...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,103
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

22 Aug 2018 15:51

My local political issue regarding the movement to end train service to the suburbs made it into the guardian. Too bad the reporter did not attend the rally around my stop. Their opening anecdote is emblematic of what we were talking about yesterday about the low quality of the American voter. Even the politically active ones.
Chris and Kim Hahn knew something was wrong when their dog started growling at the back door after midnight in March 2017. Chris went to investigate and found a man crouching near the pool. He confronted the man, who Chris thought appeared to be on drugs, and a violent altercation ensued. The intruder was left bleeding. “I don’t know what he was up to,” said Chris, recalling the event more than a year later with Kim in the kitchen of their neat Glen Burnie home.

The Hahns had moved to the working/middle-class suburb seeking a quiet, safe environment away from the crime and strife of Baltimore, 10 miles away. But, like many in the neighbourhood, they say the city’s woes have seeped into the area via public transport. Specifically, they believe criminals are coming into the suburbs by light rail. Data does not bear that out, but that hasn’t stopped some residents from campaigning for the service, which started 25 years ago, to be reduced. The Hahns have just returned from a protest demanding the closure of a light rail stop around the corner from their home – a stop activists have linked to an increase in crime in the area. “Looking at his rap sheet or whatever, he was from Baltimore city,” Kim said of the intruder. “He missed the light rail and had to find a place to stay, and he chose to climb our fence.”

The Anne Arundel county police confirmed the details of the Hahns’ report, but with two important discrepancies: there was nothing to link the suspect with the light rail and he wasn’t from Baltimore – he was local. He hadn’t missed the light rail back to the city that night. He was from Anne Arundel county, just like the Hahns.
Until voters decide to live in the real world instead of the fantasy lands that they have created for themselves, politicians will continue to act terrible. They are the reflection of the people they are representing.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/aug/22/addicts-crooks-thieves-the-campaign-to-kill-baltimores-light-rail
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,308
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

22 Aug 2018 18:34

aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,709
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re: Re:

22 Aug 2018 18:52

red_flanders wrote:
jmdirt wrote:While I understand what you are saying, the bold above is frighteningly true (not crap at all) no matter which 'side' you are on.


It's crap that there is any kind of equivalency in this regard. Look at indictments in respective administrations over time. The argument is the 2nd grade standard, "but...everyone was doing it". No, no they're not. And that's not an excuse, it's a dodge.

Lying is lying. Indictments are just the ones who get busted. National level politicians have long passed serving us. They are all lying to us on some level, but there is some conversation as to equivalency as you point out.

The second grade argument is that 'everyone is doing it' so its OK for me to do it. That's not the same argument here. I am saying that all (certainly most) national level politicians lie (out and out, misuse money, take advantage of their system...) , but I am not saying that it's OK.

Your argument is that they haven't been indicted so they must be good to go. That's the old "I don't speed because I haven't gotten a ticket" logic.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,196
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

23 Aug 2018 00:05

it's funny or not..that there is another thread that says all the same things on this forum...an ego maniac that denied everything, anyone that crossed
him...he went after the press...they are liars..he said that he was innocent...wrongly accused...I have been tested...
I think we all remember that story...the end of it still is not really over...but a settlement may put a conclusion to the twisted tale of lying till death do you apart..is different from the Prince of Austin...he may end up the same but he is just at the first stages of defending fabrications that are false on face and only get worse as everybody involved comes clean..
one big difference is is that LA doesn't appear to holding a grudge against everybody who rolled over..he has admitted wrong and is going in a direction...maybe indirect to being a different man..
Can or would Trump do something like that? Is there really any question about if he deployed his Vienna sausage on a porn star or playboy model..no...but he is at the front end of the dump truck of truth ...
is there not enough examples of ego buttbags that thought that their rep and cash would make them untouchable...if Trump doesn't see Clinton and Cosby and Armstrong as what can go wrong when you lie...oh well..what not to do has been done but some guys like that path..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 857
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

23 Aug 2018 02:20

Somehow our schools have got to do a better job of educating the people in this country about how our government works (or at least how it is supposed to work) as there are way too many out there that don't understand it at all. (I am actually not referring to people on this thread, but in other places that I have seen). It's nice to come here and read stuff because at least here it seems people understand how the govt runs even if we don't agree with each other on things.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,790
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

23 Aug 2018 04:39

A woman was murdered by a man because she said "no" to him when he harassed her while she was running. Right wing pundits are harping on the fact that the man was undocumented...and it was pointed out that maybe there is a f**king problem with the abject fact that this type of harassment and murder by men is not uncommon...and this f**king piece of monkey vomit posts this: https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1032442036480167936

It really was a good week for Scott to slink off in shame...

Lets also point out that the woman's family asked for her murder to NOT be used for sensational purposes related to undocumented people. This type of inhumanity makes my head want to explode.
ChewbaccaDefense
Member
 
Posts: 1,948
Joined: 05 Nov 2013 19:35
Location: Nevada City, CA


23 Aug 2018 12:23

so, i am asking the cooler heads (no disrespect, but i suspect the partisans opinion) - is trump's last song in sight now that his personal lawyer singing :Question:

and, more to the point..........do they allow twitting in the us prisons ?
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,872
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

23 Aug 2018 13:15

Trump will almost certainly not be indicted while in the oval office. And we will know it is nearing his last song only when Fox News decides not to circle the wagons for him. It goes back to what we have been talking about in this forum recently. As long as 90% of Republican voters back Trump, he is practically made of teflon. Same situation if a democrat president was under scrutiny.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,308
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re:

23 Aug 2018 13:39

Koronin wrote:Somehow our schools have got to do a better job of educating the people in this country about how our government works (or at least how it is supposed to work) as there are way too many out there that don't understand it at all. (I am actually not referring to people on this thread, but in other places that I have seen). It's nice to come here and read stuff because at least here it seems people understand how the govt runs even if we don't agree with each other on things.


'Never underestimate the ignorance of the American electorate'..Remember, about 30-some% watch that drivel on Faux news/trump TV and then believe it and that's as far as they go..Same as the mouth breathers at his silly campaign rallys. 'US Steele opening 7 new plants'..donnie said in WV..absolute lie(opening 2)..But these deplorables believe it. GOTTA vote this November..send trump to one of his golf courses and 'don't call us, we'll call you'...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,103
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re:

23 Aug 2018 13:45

python wrote:so, i am asking the cooler heads (no disrespect, but i suspect the partisans opinion) - is trump's last song in sight now that his personal lawyer singing :Question:

and, more to the point..........do they allow twitting in the us prisons ?


He won't be indicted, he may get 'impeached', but that won't leave the House. Need a super majority for it to go to the Senate..it'll never get there. Only hope is Dem control of congress..trump is more 'stupid in public', economy slows or tanks because of his stupid trade wars(trade wars are easy to win')...AND the Dems come up with a real strong candidate in 2020 that relies on more than anti-trump..even tho there's a TON of material for that.

Real health care fix
Real immigration fix(with DACA included)
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,103
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

23 Aug 2018 13:47

Two anecdotes that show the rot goes much deeper than the president.
The Education Department is considering whether to allow states to use federal funding to purchase guns for educators, according to multiple people with knowledge of the plan.
As recently as March, Congress passed a school safety bill that allocated $50 million a year to local school districts, but expressly prohibited the use of the money for firearms. But the department is eyeing a program in federal education law, the Student Support and Academic Enrichment grants, that makes no mention of prohibiting weapons purchases. That omission would allow the education secretary, Betsy DeVos, to use her discretion to approve any state or district plans to use grant funding for firearms and firearm training, unless Congress clarifies the law or bans such funding through legislative action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/22/us/politics/betsy-devos-guns.html

Meanwhile in Georgia, the GOP is looking to use the ADA to close polling stations in a minority community.
A predominantly black county in rural Georgia is facing a nationwide backlash over plans to close about 75 percent of its voting locations ahead of the November election. County officials say the locations are inaccessible to those with disabilities; critics say the closures will disenfranchise black voters ahead of an election in which a black candidate is running for governor for the first time.
Longtime Randolph County attorney Tommy Coleman acknowledged in a phone interview with The Associated Press that the timing of the move could appear strange. The polling places were used during the May 22 primary election and July 24 primary runoff, and officials have known about ADA compliance problems in the county for at least six years.
LOL.....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/plan-to-close-polling-places-in-black-county-draws-backlash/2018/08/21/11050e5a-a57e-11e8-ad6f-080770dcddc2_story.html?utm_term=.09d3ccf7deeb
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,308
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Back to top