Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Nov 2017 20:58

Anyone seeking to determine the accuracy of this document has no more evidence than the document itself. Including people dismissing it.

As he says, nothing can be determined from the document, it's a starting point to more investigation. Entirely rational. Please stop assuming what I'm being critical about or not. I make no conclusions. I found it an interesting read, you seem to be jumping to all sorts of irrational conclusions. For example, the claim that the DNC paid "millions" for this document, is demonstrably false.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-dossier/ex-british-spy-paid-168000-for-trump-dossier-u-s-firm-discloses-idUSKBN1D15XH?il=0
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

11 Nov 2017 09:11

http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/101120171
Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Forces — the mostly Shiite and largely Iranian-backed paramilitary forces — have also built up their presence along Iraq’s border with Syria.

They make no attempt to hide that they are working to physically extend the influence of U.S. rival Iran. Jaafar al-Husseini, a spokesman for the Hezbollah Brigades, a group under the PMF, boasted during the Qaim fighting that the forces are securing a route from “Iran to Beirut.”

“We have foiled the American project in Iraq and on the Syrian borders, and we have succeeded in securing the road that links Iran, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon,” he told The Associated Press.
Sitting between an armored vehicle and the rubble of a partially collapsed building, a group of Marines and soldiers joked about camp conditions and the monotony of their field rations. They also reflected on their mission in Iraq with a mix of sobriety and cynical humor.

They may feel a sense of accomplishment in the gains against IS — “but it’s not a sense of finality,” one Marine staff sergeant said. He served in Anbar in 2007, unlike most of his comrades, who are on their first deployment to Iraq. He never thought he’d be back, but now believes there will be a U.S. presence in Iraq for generations to come.

“When my son joins the Marines, he’ll probably be deployed to Iraq,” he said with a laugh. He spoke on condition that he only be identified by his rank in line with regulations.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

11 Nov 2017 20:54

aphronesis
Veteran

12 Nov 2017 15:03

Trump spoke with the Russian leader this week in Vietnam during a joint summit with other Asia-Pacific countries. When a reporter asked if the subject of Russian election interference came up, Trump replied, “He said he absolutely did not meddle in our election. He did not do what they are saying he did. ... Every time he sees me, he says, ‘I didn’t do that,’ and I really believe that.

One has to ask why he's doing this. He can't possibly be so stupid as to sincerely believe this.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

14 Nov 2017 15:26

Just what we need, more guns in the hands of children.
A Wisconsin resident must be at least 12 years old to purchase a hunting license or hunt with a gun. However, until now children as young as 10 could participate in a mentored hunt. That program allows the child to hunt with a mentor who is at least 18 and has gone through a hunter safety course or had military training if they’re younger than 44. The mentor and student could only have one gun between them, and they had to stay within arm’s reach of one another. The new law allows children of any age to participate in a mentored hunt and allows mentor and student to carry their own weapon.
“This bill will allow responsible hunters to get kids off the couch and off the electronics and into the woods,” Kleefisch said. “There’s nothing more exciting than seeing the look on someone’s face when they harvest their first animal.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/13/governor-scott-walker-eliminates-wisconsin-minimum-hunting-age/
Donald Trump: "We are getting near that beautiful Christmas season that people don't talk about anymore."
djpbaltimore

14 Nov 2017 17:23

aphronesis
Veteran

14 Nov 2017 17:58

Some might not find this political, but anything related to pharma is politics IMO.

I'll admit to a little conspiracy theory in my assertion, but the new blood pressure guidelines stink of a move to sell billion$ of dollars in HBP meds IMO. I do give the committee credit for encouraging healthy life style over meds, but let's be real here, people in the USA prefer the quick fix pill to anything that requires effort.

https://news.heart.org/nearly-half-u-s-adults-now-classified-high-blood-pressure-new-definitions/
jmdirt

Re:

14 Nov 2017 18:03

djpbaltimore wrote:Just what we need, more guns in the hands of children.
A Wisconsin resident must be at least 12 years old to purchase a hunting license or hunt with a gun. However, until now children as young as 10 could participate in a mentored hunt. That program allows the child to hunt with a mentor who is at least 18 and has gone through a hunter safety course or had military training if they’re younger than 44. The mentor and student could only have one gun between them, and they had to stay within arm’s reach of one another. The new law allows children of any age to participate in a mentored hunt and allows mentor and student to carry their own weapon.
“This bill will allow responsible hunters to get kids off the couch and off the electronics and into the woods,” Kleefisch said. “There’s nothing more exciting than seeing the look on someone’s face when they harvest their first animal.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/13/governor-scott-walker-eliminates-wisconsin-minimum-hunting-age/

My hope would be that they learn gun safety through this process. Plus, seeing that something dies as a result of the weapon being fired, might stick a bit a reality in their brain.
jmdirt

Re:

14 Nov 2017 18:17

jmdirt wrote:Some might not find this political, but anything related to pharma is politics IMO.

I'll admit to a little conspiracy theory in my assertion, but the new blood pressure guidelines stink of a move to sell billion$ of dollars in HBP meds IMO. I do give the committee credit for encouraging healthy life style over meds, but let's be real here, people in the USA prefer the quick fix pill to anything that requires effort.

https://news.heart.org/nearly-half-u-s-adults-now-classified-high-blood-pressure-new-definitions/

Yes, it’s biopolitics. Pretending that “health” pharma or insurance are discreet from politics isn’t done in the public’s interest .
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

14 Nov 2017 20:01

aphronesis wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/fabiusmaximus.com/2017/07/29/wolfgang-streeck-explains-the-fate-of-trump-and-the-trumpists/amp/

Several interesting points and/or questions.
jmdirt

14 Nov 2017 21:56

you people do understand that the new guidelines are based on SCIENCE...do you ??

and since science, as some told us here, is fundamental, that is, it is what science is with (or without) a human input, you need to stop building the various political and conspiratorial theories :rolleyes:

but if seriously, i keep grinning (yep, it's a genuine reaction) at the news. it's a longish story, but we (i mean the wife and both of our girls including the one born here) never gave into american obsession with meds.

agree, in part, the new guidelines are pharma industry driven. the other part is likely due to the medical field spotty current knowledge which (due to human nature) must be beautified.

if time allows and if there will be interest, I will illustrate my opinion with a personal example of high blood pressure gone as in G-O-N-E likely due to me ignoring the american doctors.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

14 Nov 2017 22:44

jm suggested that “healthcare” is politicized. It’s hard to argue with that.

On the other hand it would take a new hallucinatory leap to take the human out of human sciences. Of which medicine is one. Hardly the most “objective” field out there.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

14 Nov 2017 22:58

python wrote:you people do understand that the new guidelines are based on SCIENCE...do you ??

and since science, as some told us here, is fundamental, that is, it is what science is with (or without) a human input, you need to stop building the various political and conspiratorial theories :rolleyes:

but if seriously, i keep grinning (yep, it's a genuine reaction) at the news. it's a longish story, but we (i mean the wife and both of our girls including the one born here) never gave into american obsession with meds.

agree, in part, the new guidelines are pharma industry driven. the other part is likely due to the medical field spotty current knowledge which (due to human nature) must be beautified.

if time allows and if there will be interest, I will illustrate my opinion with a personal example of high blood pressure gone as in G-O-N-E likely due to me ignoring the american doctors.

I guess I am questioning if it is based more on science or more on $$.

Edit: you are aware that the next BP study in 10 years will be based on science too, and people will have to get on low blood pressure reversal meds?

I'm interested in your story...
jmdirt

Re: U.S. Politics

15 Nov 2017 08:49

Wtf is going on in America.

Why is the NYT publishing articles titled "Can My Children Be Friends With White People?" where the conclusion isn't even no.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

15 Nov 2017 10:48

jmdirt wrote:Some might not find this political, but anything related to pharma is politics IMO.

The problem is, of course, the US healthcare system. The use of the word "consumer" from Carey perfectly highlights why you would feel the way you do. I'm pretty sure all thiazides are available as generics in the US, so I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

16 Nov 2017 03:44

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

16 Nov 2017 03:55

aphronesis wrote:https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/11/brazile-dnc-clinton-sanders-primary-hacks-fundraising

This is the best take by far I have seen on the Brazile claims.
Merckx index

Re: U.S. Politics

16 Nov 2017 17:03

The Hitch wrote:Wtf is going on in America.

Why is the NYT publishing articles titled "Can My Children Be Friends With White People?" where the conclusion isn't even no.

Yeah I came across this thing as well, really bizarre. First I thought it would just turn out an intentionally provocative click bait title, but it's actually literally an article saying white people can't be trusted and thus can't really be befriended. I don't even.... how did anybody think that was okay? :o
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

16 Nov 2017 17:57

I would disagree with that assessment of the article. I think the author's conclusion is that actions speak louder than words and that is how trust is earned, not because a person may offer up genial platitudes over a beer. Anybody who voted for Trump is no longer someone that I would consider a 'friend' and I am white as rice.

Indeed, even in Donald Trump’s America, I have not given up on being friends with all white people. My bi-ethnic wife, my most trusted friend, understands she is seen as a white woman, even though her brother and father are not. Among my dearest friends, the wedding party and children’s godparents variety, many are white. But these are the friends who have marched in protest, rushed to airports to protest the president’s travel ban, people who have shared the risks required by strength and decency.
Donald Trump: "We are getting near that beautiful Christmas season that people don't talk about anymore."
djpbaltimore

PreviousNext

Return to General