Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

19 May 2017 14:06

I have to keep asking that folks don't use my real name. Please don't.

I just thought it was interesting that it was a blog and they need money.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

19 May 2017 15:15

Some people think that pseudonym things is just for laffs and all that. Alternative identities. Shouldn't be a tough one for the crowd that don't miss a beat freaking out over Trump's indiscretions.

There might be a useful line somewhere between content for profit's sake and unsponsored raving.

I like the ads on Truth out for hispanic and Saudi women dating networks.
aphronesis

19 May 2017 15:55

Trump is being provided "male only" entertainment on his trip:

https://www.rt.com/usa/388871-trump-saudi-arabia-visit-melania/
Benotti69 wrote:I don't believe anything from Astana any more than Sky.
Beech Mtn

Re: U.S. Politics

19 May 2017 16:06

Just a bit of fun: which song famously performed by Fred Astaire is referenced here?
kingjr

Re:

19 May 2017 16:06

aphronesis wrote:Some people think that pseudonym things is just for laffs and all that. Alternative identities. Shouldn't be a tough one for the crowd that don't miss a beat freaking out over Trump's indiscretions.

There might be a useful line somewhere between content for profit's sake and unsponsored raving.

I like the ads on Truth out for hispanic and Saudi women dating networks.

It is quite the interesting fact.
Veteran

19 May 2017 16:14

kingjr wrote:Just a bit of fun: which song famously performed by Fred Astaire is referenced here?

I don't have a clue about the song. But man that gif has me cracked up!
Veteran

19 May 2017 16:25

Anyone see that Antneeee Weiner is supposedly going to plead guilty for a 2 year sentence?

I wonder if the russians hacked that laptop and his phone to cause him to do all that bad stuff to the minor? Not to mention the political fall out it had for ole girl. She does not even chat with huma as much any more.
Veteran

19 May 2017 16:39

I saw that but didn't want to distract from the complicated analysis of trump and Duke. Or the Russian threat to democracy.
aphronesis

Re:

19 May 2017 16:58

aphronesis wrote:I saw that but didn't want to distract from the complicated analysis of trump and Duke. Or the Russian threat to democracy.

His political career is over or just getting started?

How does folks in NYC speak of him now?

Did you catch blutto's post about the way back days in 96 when we sent those "consultants" into the red bear and pushed the agenda to reelect ole eyebrows.
Veteran

19 May 2017 17:07

Semper Fidelis wrote:I don't have a clue about the song. But man that gif has me cracked up!

Puttin' On the Ritz... yeah I had to wince, too.
kingjr

19 May 2017 17:12

kingjr wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:I don't have a clue about the song. But man that gif has me cracked up!

thats old school.

Very nice work putting that giff in here!
Veteran

19 May 2017 17:14

Semper Fidelis wrote:
kingjr wrote:

thats old school.

I didn't make the gif, if that's what you're saying :P I just pressed the little Img button and pasted it in.
kingjr

19 May 2017 17:18

kingjr wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:
kingjr wrote:

thats old school.

I didn't make the gif, if that's what you're saying :P I just pressed the little Img button and pasted it in.

No I did not mean that. I meant what I said. It was nice work to put it up here.
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 May 2017 19:19

Semper Fidelis wrote:
aphronesis wrote:I saw that but didn't want to distract from the complicated analysis of trump and Duke. Or the Russian threat to democracy.

His political career is over or just getting started?

How does folks in NYC speak of him now?

Did you catch blutto's post about the way back days in 96 when we sent those "consultants" into the red bear and pushed the agenda to reelect ole eyebrows.

Full on fool. You'd think he'd have learned the first time he got rolled by the virtual world.

Easier to have affairs. And buy a pied a terre and teenager in the Bronx if that's how you want to go.
aphronesis

19 May 2017 20:01

Scott SoCal wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
blutto wrote:....well there is this ...."When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?".....as compared to say a case hardened ideologue ( which btw plays much more better on the big screen where the good guys/bad guys black/white is the preferred script outline ).....

Facts change mid-sentence in Trump's case.
He's a real fact-focused person, correct. From day 1 (biggest inauguration crowd ever) up to the present day, amazing.

I'm just curious where all the hyper-sensitivity was when the last guy was in office. So this is pure ideology... which is boring.

Obama was a disappointment, but in terms of class and eloquence, the difference is day and night.
By the way, the boatloads of whataboutery, that's not boring? Every second post - but Obama this, but quadfocals that. They're out of it, has-beens, and it doesn't change a thing about the mess the Trump presidency is.
User avatar Jagartrott

19 May 2017 20:52

Jagartrott wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
blutto wrote:....well there is this ...."When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?".....as compared to say a case hardened ideologue ( which btw plays much more better on the big screen where the good guys/bad guys black/white is the preferred script outline ).....

He's a real fact-focused person, correct. From day 1 (biggest inauguration crowd ever) up to the present day, amazing.

I'm just curious where all the hyper-sensitivity was when the last guy was in office. So this is pure ideology... which is boring.

Obama was a disappointment, but in terms of class and eloquence, the difference is day and night.
By the way, the boatloads of whataboutery, that's not boring? Every second post - but Obama this, but quadfocals that. They're out of it, has-beens, and it doesn't change a thing about the mess the Trump presidency is.

Class and eloquence? Was that true for all in the 57 Sates including Navy Corpsemen? Yeah, real winner you got there

It's boring and fascinating at the same time especially from the science "facts only" crowd. Facts matter clear up until they don't.

I guess we'll just refer to you guys as election result deniers.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

19 May 2017 21:27

Scott SoCal wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

Class and eloquence? Was that true for all in the 57 Sates including Navy Corpsemen? Yeah, real winner you got there

It's boring and fascinating at the same time especially from the science "facts only" crowd. Facts matter clear up until they don't.

I guess we'll just refer to you guys as election result deniers.

Scott, the Swedish dude is right. Obama is much more eloquent. He is also right in saying that Obama was a disappointment. I'll go a step further and say that he was a big disappointment.

That said, I don't mind too much when a president or a senator or governor or even a mayor is able to spit out the words and in what manner, my beef is whether or not they get the job done. Obama didn't many jobs right. Issues that he really hammered on during his campaign in 2007 and 2008...he fluffed it up, retracted, quietly omitted or kept the policies of Dubya.

If Trump can produce something that will benefit the country, great. We don't always need a president that's a Rhodes scholar, has a JD from Yale or an MD from Harvard and had perfect attendance K-12.
BullsFan22

19 May 2017 22:16

Jagartrott wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

Oh-BAM-ah and ol' Quadface aren't out of it or has-beens. They are part of the political landscape, part of the establishment framework from which comparisons are made and discourse had. To frame BAMa's term as just a disappointment, but much more 'classy' and 'eloquent', is a widely held left (lib) view that says a lot in itself. Others would say he was (is) a snake, a savage wolf in Armani, a murderous unmitigated disaster. Language is relevant.

It's a fair charge IMO for Scott to ask liberals baying for blood now, 'where were you when...?'' Self-reflection and a structural analysis could come from that. The grey areas; the non-binary. The form of opposition can legitimize that which one opposes - mirror images; sides of the same coin. It's not a new idea but very relevant regarding current modes of opposition to Trump - both in thought and action. If anything is boring it's the repetitive Russia! Russia! Russia! Bufoon! Idiot! Impeach! Impeach! etc... Wanting to fix the focus solely on Donnie's incompetence is a little narrow and partisan in my opinion.
Dan2016

19 May 2017 22:27

@Red: No offense but your link to the Sam Harris podcast was crap. Three neoliberal propagandists in a room does not an 'outstanding' analysis make, in my opinion. Some outstanding echoes perhaps. I can provide links showing the nature of their propaganda if necessary, all three of 'em. I stopped listening after a couple of minutes to be honest, life is too short, so I might be misjudging, but I doubt it. Harris, Applebaum and a CNN 'analyst' equals ECHOES. If you feel it was genuinely outstanding maybe you could provide a brief synopsis to the thread?
Dan2016

19 May 2017 22:43

Beech Mtn previously mentioned Putin's Tsar level trolling re intel sharing. I thought this was an interesting interview with him on his feelings about it after the media took him seriously and ran the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK67o8oI7wE
Dan2016

PreviousNext

Return to General