Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

Re:

24 Sep 2017 17:06

Semper Fidelis wrote:Noticed today that a bunch of NFL players protested this morning at the game in London.

I thought copperhead's comments were funny but the president of the untied states should not say things like that calling them SOB's.

London? Isn't that where Natalie M got all in trouble for criticizing Shrub over war? Course it's different when it's a bunch of guys. Chicks should know their place.
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

24 Sep 2017 17:13

Better yet.. Bruce Level, Trump's spokesman.. saying the players are being unfair to the owners.. when the news caster said " but the owners are in agreement with the players"..he responded with the players should start their own league if they want to protest..
This is awesome!!!
Unchained

24 Sep 2017 17:14

re "Mr. Facebook" and turning over Russian ads against HIllary - we should also go back to the primaries and look at all the Bernie supporter Facebook groups that got pulled under strange circumstances. IIRC, "Mr. Facebook" donated bigtime to Quadfocals.
Beech Mtn

Re:

24 Sep 2017 17:30

Beech Mtn wrote:re "Mr. Facebook" and turning over Russian ads against HIllary - we should also go back to the primaries and look at all the Bernie supporter Facebook groups that got pulled under strange circumstances. IIRC, "Mr. Facebook" donated bigtime to Quadfocals.

Point taken..yes we need to know about who is funding our campaign mechanisms..we also need to have some just a little transparency.. If you are asked by the police.."did you meet with any Russians?"
The answer needed to be the same from the start ..now we have spent millions because of something that didn't need to be fabricated and lied about..
everyone..all incoming administrations have meetings with foreign leaders.. standard practice.. typical pre and post election behavior.. when the police ask you yes or no.. your uneasy answer is yes we had meetings about Russian adoption.. it's the crux..did the Russians do what they could for their cause..yes..do we? Most certainly..
Trump has said in plain language..he is going to do things differently.. and he is.. one thing that you can't do differently is make false statements to the cops..
Unchained

Re: Re:

24 Sep 2017 18:29

Beech Mtn wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:Noticed today that a bunch of NFL players protested this morning at the game in London.

I thought copperhead's comments were funny but the president of the untied states should not say things like that calling them SOB's.

London? Isn't that where Natalie M got all in trouble for criticizing Shrub over war? Course it's different when it's a bunch of guys. Chicks should know their place.

why is it that every time I hear people bitching about players disrespecting the flag and the military why I really hear is that "them uppity ******* need to sit down and stfu?"
patricknd

24 Sep 2017 18:43

Patrick.. because those ugly words and thoughts are unfortunately alive in our country. I was raised in the Southwest..had three black kids in my elementary school. I served in the Navy with thousands of black sailors and Marines..My education and enlightenment was rapid and complete..
we need to have equal treatment for all our citizens.. if we inch toward a needed correction by actions of sports or entertainment figures. I am OK with any progress no matter how we get there.. and despite our government leadership..
On YouTube there is a * racist failures greatest hits channel* you can see some epic disgusting examples of what is being dealt with by American culture .
I served and don't feel disrespected in the least by watching fellow Americans express themselves
Unchained

24 Sep 2017 19:41

patricknd wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

why is it that every time I hear people bitching about players disrespecting the flag and the military why I really hear is that "them uppity ******* need to sit down and stfu?"
here's my 2 cents..the pennies from a stateless mutt sharing a roof with you, semper and many others who served and know (as opposed to those like me just speculating/posturing) as to what it means to put one's skin for one's country or being patriotic...

only burning any nations flag, including an american flag, should be a demonstrative and legally punishable misdeed worth a prison term.

everything else is secondary. a sporting event too. my opinion.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 21:26

patricknd wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

You have chosen to quote my post and write something vile. Clarify please, whether it is your intention to accuse me of those views.
Beech Mtn

Re:

24 Sep 2017 21:52

aphronesis wrote:What would patriotism even mean.

Kinda the opposite of one world order.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 22:10

patricknd wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

Well that's not how I see it. What I see is people disrespecting the country where there's a system that allows them to be anything they want. Is the country perfect? No... a long way from.

Not sure why Kaepernickism has made the splash it has. Seems to me a better way is to focus on issues within the system rather than overturn the system itself.

This written from a white guy who has seen some extremely disappointing reverse racism directed at him personally... but absolutely has not lived the life of a brown or black man.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's okay if I am. I know there are problems... I just hope people realize what damage this country has done to itself in an effort to get to where we need to be. To me the dudes making a shit-ton of money to entertain the rest of us is exactly the wrong venue to display grievances. Not the place or time.

I'm truly sorry if that offends anybody.

At any rate I have watched my last pro football game. Probably NBA as well. I was never a MLB fan so they won't miss me :o
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 24 Sep 2017 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 22:34

Scott SoCal wrote:

Why have it?
aphronesis
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 22:37

Scott SoCal wrote:

duplicate
aphronesis
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 22:53

Patriotism is meaningless. Why hother with it?
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

24 Sep 2017 23:07

aphronesis wrote:Patriotism is meaningless. Why hother with it?

No reason. Not today anyways. Congratulations.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 23:18

patricknd wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

We sill go cross ways on this pardnerrr. I really have no time or fcks to give but really. I don't want the anthem being played at games. That way no "uppity whatever it was you wanted to say" need to sit down and stfu.

Hard these days for me to corner my "white privilege" yet I can see thought the fog and the war is not on the field of "games". Just shut it down. No more anthem being played before pro sport events. Easy. Then we can all go back to doing the hucklebuck.
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 23:20

Beech Mtn wrote:
patricknd wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:

You have chosen to quote my post and write something vile. Clarify please, whether it is your intention to accuse me of those views.

I would hope this is a misunderstanding.

Yes Patriotic stance or patriotism is symbolic.

What makes it wrong?

That is what makes us more like a bunch of pussies from Europe every single day.
Veteran

Re:

24 Sep 2017 23:22

aphronesis wrote:Patriotism is meaningless. Why hother with it?

I would think Sam Adams, Paul Revere , John Hancock and Benjamin thought otherwise? Or was that just some made up BS by the underprivileged?
Real...ly wtf. Im surprised.

The national anthem is just a song. Yet if you insist to play it then expect the consequences.
Just stop playing the MF'r.
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 23:29

Theyvwere shilling enlightement ideals in the era of nation building. How's that for now?
aphronesis
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 23:29

Patriotism may not have an obvious value to some.. but in the US if you have Donald Trump toilet paper because you love him or have hate.. both are your right.. until now..
people for completely non- patriotic reasons get tossed into the fray..Jimmy Kimmel gives a heartfelt monologue about the health care given to his gravely ill newborn. Kimmel weaved a story about how he has the means, the proper insurance coverage to allow a no holds barred approach to helping his son..
he went on to express deep sorrow and regret for families less fortunate.. that may see a family member die due to inadequate coverage or no coverage at all.. really passionate and sentimental..
it probably would have been over until.
.a Republican put his GOPenis,in plain view..made the comment that the new health care bill "passes the Jimmy Kimmel test".. oops forgot to ask Kimmel to screen the bill before speaking presumptively.. Kimmel ripped them apart on TV for the bills failed Kimmel test results..
Colin Kaepernick made no demands of Trump.. but Trump probably should have checked Colin's patriotic credentials.. because many players,coaches and owners think he is not a soft pink turncoat worthy of the president's digs..
Steph Curry gets trashed but Tom Brady gets a stop by anytime you are in the neighborhood..after Brady cancels his white House visit..
Trump rallies an army of talking heads talking about the American way.. that Trump was speaking of American values,,were you own the company and your employee(s) disagree with your politics or patriotism..so you can fire them.. Trump's group on every outlet speaking about contract compliance.. The NFL saying that there is no contact clause about the National anthem..he is helping even when there is no validity to his claim..
I rode today after a little spring was added to my step after TV folks, athletes and business leaders all have called Trump out on his unpatriotic BS..
Unchained

25 Sep 2017 00:22

It's an interesting issue: my biological father and his flight cohort are wrestling with their " patriotism" and what the US govt.. may have been doinig with them in Viet Nam.
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General