Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

23 Jan 2018 13:42

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/business/trump-tariffs-washing-machines-solar-panels.html
Congrats US citizens! You'll be paying more for washing machines and solar panels - Trump, making Whirlpool profitable again! :D
Salbutamol - Breakfast of Champions!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"
Choco Loco for all your doping tips!
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

23 Jan 2018 14:38

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/business/trump-tariffs-washing-machines-solar-panels.html
Congrats US citizens! You'll be paying more for washing machines and solar panels - Trump, making Whirlpool profitable again! :D

Just make sure you've got good house insurance if you buy American ;)

http://fortune.com/2017/11/01/whirlpool-uk-tumble-dryer-fire-risk/
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

23 Jan 2018 19:10

“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

23 Jan 2018 19:29

LOL. The GOP <3 Strzok now.

That text was from May 2017. I wonder what his gut said after the Trump Jr meeting went public in July 2017. Or after the multiple felony plea deals, including from the former NSA to the President.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re: U.S. Politics

24 Jan 2018 01:29

One day Mr. Trump may be universally revered
as the man who made Africa great again:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42795588
User avatar oldcrank

24 Jan 2018 06:28

oldcrank wrote:One day Mr. Trump may be universally revered

Yoweri Museveni - another 70 year old mad man. :)

Edit - I see Trump will meet Rwandan President Paul Kagame at Davos. Someone else he should get on well with -
http://www.bbc.com/news/10479882
... the international media watchdog Reporters Without Borders identifies him as a "predator" who attacks press freedom ...
Salbutamol - Breakfast of Champions!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"
Choco Loco for all your doping tips!
User avatar Robert5091

24 Jan 2018 06:51

Robert5091 wrote:

Edit - I see Trump will meet Rwandan President Paul Kagame at Davos. Someone else he should get on well with -
... the international media watchdog Reporters Without Borders identifies him as a "predator" who attacks press freedom ...

Because he is a racist, Trump will believe that a country's failure to progress will be due to the innate inferiority of its inhabitants. He won't have any understanding of how difficult it is for a country to get on its feet if it has been serially exploited, by western countries such as France and US in the case of Haiti, or indeed by Britain, in varying degrees, in the case of a fifth of the world's land mass. He won't understand that the ingrained culture of autocracy, and therefore corruption, have been fostered by the exploiting countries.

He will also endorse the continued historical persecution of countries, such as Cuba, who have managed to free themselves from US exploitation, and have refused to allow themselves to be used as some sort of 18th century plantation.

Don't expect Trump's voters to have the capacity to see beyond their noses. America first! America first!
User avatar macbindle

24 Jan 2018 13:53

What an idiot..a lame campaign 'promise' to make his racist base happy..and now he doesn't care who he hurts to get the silly wall. donnie is the only person who thinks all that $money will result in better secirity.

Dope.

“Cryin’ Chuck Schumer fully understands, especially after his humiliating defeat, that if there is no Wall, there is no DACA,”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/24/trump-border-wall-daca-chuck-schumer-364625

more name calling from this guy with an 3rd grade temperament and vocabulary..

He's too stupid to realize he'll get single digit votes from the hispanic community..midterms and 2020..

and for right above..

Don't expect Trump's voters to have the capacity to see beyond their noses. America first! America first!

America alone...
User avatar Bustedknuckle

24 Jan 2018 13:56

Quote: "A whistleblower has revealed to Congress that clandestine, offsite meetings between high ranking FBI and DOJ took place in which officials discussed ways to undermine President Trump after the 2016 election, Rep. Ron Johnson (R-WI) told Fox News on Tuesday."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-24/whistleblower-confirms-secret-society-meetings-between-fbi-and-doj-destroy-trump

So to recap, you have the instruments of government working (colluding!) to overturn a free and fair election. Why isn't everyone freaking out about this? So if the major media, Facebook, Twitter, the DoJ and FBI are on one side, what side are the NSA, IRS, Pentagon, DHS, and CIA on? Is there a shadow civil war happening?

Whatever, the US government is obviously broken and doesn't even pretend to be a representative democracy any more.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

24 Jan 2018 14:31

People claiming that the FBI is some left wing haven need to step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

24 Jan 2018 16:12

djpbaltimore wrote:People claiming that the FBI is some left wing haven need to step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.

Left, right, who cares? The fact is that senior individuals in the organization have the capability to pursue political objectives. In this case, the objective is to depose a president. You know, a coup? The individuals involved were at the helm of the two largest political stories of the last two years. Trump/Russia, and Clinton/Server.

I would have thought that would be enough to blow things up. Apparently not.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

Re: Re:

24 Jan 2018 16:52

ScienceIsCool wrote:
djpbaltimore wrote:People claiming that the FBI is some left wing haven need to step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.

Left, right, who cares? The fact is that senior individuals in the organization have the capability to pursue political objectives. In this case, the objective is to depose a president. You know, a coup? The individuals involved were at the helm of the two largest political stories of the last two years. Trump/Russia, and Clinton/Server.

John Swanson
The objective according to whom?

How do we know the individuals within a 'secret society'?

Are those offsite meetings related to the affair. I am from Wisconsin, so I am familiar with Ron Johnson. He is the one who wants to replace university teachers with videos. He is, IMHO, mostly FOS and his story has plenty of logic holes. But if he wants to actually give evidence instead of darkly alluding to some conspiracy, I am sure the GOP controlled congress will investigate.

It is funny that of those two big stories, only the Clinton investigation was fanned right before the election, yet somehow the FBI is biased against Trump?
djpbaltimore

24 Jan 2018 16:54

ScienceIsCool wrote:

John Swanson

Attempting to undermine a president is not the same as a coup.
User avatar macbindle

24 Jan 2018 17:15

djpbaltimore wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

John Swanson
The objective according to whom?

How do we know the individuals within a 'secret society'?

Are those offsite meetings related to the affair. I am from Wisconsin, so I am familiar with Ron Johnson. He is the one who wants to replace university teachers with videos. He is, IMHO, mostly FOS and his story has plenty of logic holes. But if he wants to actually give evidence instead of darkly alluding to some conspiracy, I am sure the GOP controlled congress will investigate.

It is funny that of those two big stories, only the Clinton investigation was fanned right before the election, yet somehow the FBI is biased against Trump?

The letter to Congress on Oct 28th was all Comey. What we learned from the infamous texts is that it was his deputy director McCabe that was working with Strozk and Page on that insurance policy. Secret societies usually have more than three people, but from that interaction I think we can say Comey isn't in it. Who else is in it? Well now that's a question worth asking!! And if the objective isn't/wasn't to get rid of Trump, what the heck was it!?

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

24 Jan 2018 18:25

Probably what macbindle suggested above. At the end of the day, it is incumbent on Johnson to put his cards on the table. Like with Nunes, I suspect he is bluffing and it looks like another stunt to build consensus for firing Mueller because he can't be manipulated by Troll Trump. The funny thing is that Trump might be personally innocent, but no-one in the GOP is acting like he is.

EDIT. Looks like I was right about Johnson.

Ron Johnson tells us his “secret society” comments were based on an informant and the words used in a Strzok-Page text exchange. He acknowledges not knowing what they meant - and says the focus now on his committee is the Clinton email scandal. Johnson: “I've heard from an individual that there were FBI agents ... management of the FBI, holding meetings off-site.”
My Q: Off-site to do what, exactly?
Johnson: “I don't know. ...(The texts) raise an awful lot of questions; it is my responsibility to try and get answers.”
Paraphrasing. This FBI thing is so important, I intend to investigate the Clinton emails instead.....

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/956204679838433281
djpbaltimore

24 Jan 2018 19:01

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

24 Jan 2018 19:05

ScienceIsCool wrote:Quote: "A whistleblower has revealed to Congress that clandestine, offsite meetings between high ranking FBI and DOJ took place in which officials discussed ways to undermine President Trump after the 2016 election, Rep. Ron Johnson (R-WI) told Fox News on Tuesday."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-24/whistleblower-confirms-secret-society-meetings-between-fbi-and-doj-destroy-trump

So to recap, you have the instruments of government working (colluding!) to overturn a free and fair election. Why isn't everyone freaking out about this? So if the major media, Facebook, Twitter, the DoJ and FBI are on one side, what side are the NSA, IRS, Pentagon, DHS, and CIA on? Is there a shadow civil war happening?

Whatever, the US government is obviously broken and doesn't even pretend to be a representative democracy any more.

John Swanson

Good post.

It's funny how Ds are reduced to defending the FBI while simultaneously trying to distance these guys from their party. Campaign contributions are public knowledge. And not just all these federal employees who donated to Hillary, but things like money sent through roundabout ways from Hillary to the campaign coffers of a certain FBI official's wife.

David Brock's strategy is going to doom the Dem party. These morons have Donald freaking Trump to work against, and they still can't get it together.

What these Brock types are frantically trying to deflect from is going to come out anyway, and they're going to look worse for trying to defend the indefensible. It's not exactly left versus right in same old sense anymore.

The D establishment needed a good purge anyway.
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

25 Jan 2018 02:24

Beech Mtn wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:Quote: "A whistleblower has revealed to Congress that clandestine, offsite meetings between high ranking FBI and DOJ took place in which officials discussed ways to undermine President Trump after the 2016 election, Rep. Ron Johnson (R-WI) told Fox News on Tuesday."

John Swanson

Good post.

It's funny how Ds are reduced to defending the FBI while simultaneously trying to distance these guys from their party. Campaign contributions are public knowledge. And not just all these federal employees who donated to Hillary, but things like money sent through roundabout ways from Hillary to the campaign coffers of a certain FBI official's wife.

David Brock's strategy is going to doom the Dem party. These morons have Donald freaking Trump to work against, and they still can't get it together.

What these Brock types are frantically trying to deflect from is going to come out anyway, and they're going to look worse for trying to defend the indefensible. It's not exactly left versus right in same old sense anymore.

The D establishment needed a good purge anyway.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/need-not-trump-strategy-real-change/
aphronesis
Veteran

25 Jan 2018 02:31

macbindle wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:

Because he is a racist, Trump will believe that a country's failure to progress will be due to the innate inferiority of its inhabitants. He won't have any understanding of how difficult it is for a country to get on its feet if it has been serially exploited, by western countries such as France and US in the case of Haiti, or indeed by Britain, in varying degrees, in the case of a fifth of the world's land mass. He won't understand that the ingrained culture of autocracy, and therefore corruption, have been fostered by the exploiting countries.

He will also endorse the continued historical persecution of countries, such as Cuba, who have managed to free themselves from US exploitation, and have refused to allow themselves to be used as some sort of 18th century plantation.

see the above link
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General