Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

20 May 2017 19:50

RuhRoh Rastro, Scott isn't doing very good with his tongue-in-cheek anymore, more like sticking his tongue out. That's a sign of something, I'm just not sure what yet...

DC is definitely stranger and dirtier than ever. Can I stop paying these bozos until they get their sh*t together? Better yet, can we fire them?! Eh, the sheeple don't understand how that works.
jmdirt

Re: Re:

20 May 2017 19:52

blutto wrote:
aphronesis wrote:Speaking of mysteries, I note that none of the Anti-Trumps have much to say about any of this. Ever

http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/05/19/trumps-first-hundred-days-of-war-crimes/

We'll chalk that up to the usual liberal hypocrisy

....well of course not, to the alt-left/la resistance those aren't war crimes but divine, errrr, humanitarian intervention aka acting presidential-like....and I'm frankly disappointed in you , as should know better.... :rolleyes:....rookie mistake, but its ok, just try the special latte, and it will become all cleareristical ...

Cheers

All sarcasm and feigned surprise aside, the misplaced outrage isn't a shock, but it's ever instructive.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2017 20:03

Dan2016 wrote:Neoliberalism: More seriously, I like the (part) definition of systemic 'mental colonisation'. I think it was that Frenchie guy Bourdieu who said that. Or was it Foucault... no I think it was Bourdieu - him of 'symbolic violence'. By extension, the likes of the huge self-help/self-improvement industry would be the poster-child or crowning achievement of the neoliberal project.

Our minds are like totally colonised dudes... woah! Far out! Gotta think outside the box man... uncertainty and non-dogmatism...or something...

Bourdieu.

Foucault would phrase it as the coordinated application of systems and psychologies of value that align with current means of production and order. The stabilized repetition and rehearsal of these values allows for various micro-differences (flavors) that encourage enough diversity and occasional "contradiction" (which in turn allows "truth" to be verified) and the whole thing keep humming along w/o question.

We see that conditioning, its torpor, febrile enthusiams and interruptions more or less reflected here.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2017 20:42

jmdirt wrote:RuhRoh Rastro, Scott isn't doing very good with his tongue-in-cheek anymore, more like sticking his tongue out. That's a sign of something, I'm just not sure what yet...

DC is definitely stranger and dirtier than ever. Can I stop paying these bozos until they get their sh*t together? Better yet, can we fire them?! Eh, the sheeple don't understand how that works.

I do take exception of the attempted undoing of a free election.

My bad.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2017 22:12

jmdirt wrote:RuhRoh Rastro, Scott isn't doing very good with his tongue-in-cheek anymore, more like sticking his tongue out. That's a sign of something, I'm just not sure what yet...

People could fire them, but per the unstated hard power component of my post to Dan they'd better have some alternative plans in place. And get prepared for the hard crackdown mechanisms that have been built up since the 60s.
aphronesis
Veteran

20 May 2017 22:21

Scott SoCal wrote:

My bad.

HMM, well,...so much to say about that one sentence...HMM, I don't have the time now, but did you read what you typed?

I was correct that your TiC has gone though.
jmdirt

20 May 2017 22:40

“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

20 May 2017 22:43

Scott SoCal wrote:

My bad.

Gotta go with Scott here... The free election is critical. Did anyone illegally contribute to the "free" process? I think video has never been such a love hate for Donald..w retakes, writers and make up, he is always just a twerk away from studio perfection..I hope Lester Holt can at the very least apologize for not having a 10-15 second delay.. Trump should have been able to recapture the lies before making them official.
Robert Mueller should know that when Trump called everybody, FBI,CIA, Mexican Judges from Indiana and the entire intelligence community completely corrupt he didn't mean him..no Mr Mueller you are cool..
I sure hope that all those early Bloomberg and Financial times reports that said the Trump groups got 10s of millions from Russian oligarchy was fake news..*
* If anyone can show a link to Vice's report on Trump's apartment projects in the UAE, using slave labor and hot,hot Russian sales people.. please!
Unchained

20 May 2017 22:50

http://www.alternet.org/story/18990/reagan%27s_drug_war_legacy

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vice-on-hbo-dubai-workers-trump-international-golf-club

@unchained "slave" worker conditions for east asians (tent cities, confiscated passports, etc.) make the gulf go round. You can't drop that one on Trump. (I know: that might be an Islamophobic slur.)

At least Russia has a surplus of hot women to export. How's middle america looking?
aphronesis
Veteran

20 May 2017 23:13

jmdirt wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

My bad.

HMM, well,...so much to say about that one sentence...HMM, I don't have the time now, but did you read what you typed?

Did I read what I wrote? You mean before I posted it? Uh, um, yes. Is that bad?
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2017 23:37

I like this part. Among others

"Paul pointed out that putting more people in prison is also not a smart way to address opioid addiction. "In my opinion we should treat drug addiction more as a health crisis and less as an incarceration problem," he said. "There's a problem, but locking everyone up isn't the solution. Instead, "families, churches and communities" should band together to "cure the ravages of addiction," Paul said."

Oh, health? The new US prison. Biopolitics.
aphronesis
Veteran

21 May 2017 00:44

aphronesis wrote:
Dan2016 wrote:Neoliberalism: More seriously, I like the (part) definition of systemic 'mental colonisation'. I think it was that Frenchie guy Bourdieu who said that. Or was it Foucault... no I think it was Bourdieu - him of 'symbolic violence'. By extension, the likes of the huge self-help/self-improvement industry would be the poster-child or crowning achievement of the neoliberal project.

Our minds are like totally colonised dudes... woah! Far out! Gotta think outside the box man... uncertainty and non-dogmatism...or something...

Bourdieu.

Foucault would phrase it as the coordinated application of systems and psychologies of value that align with current means of production and order. The stabilized repetition and rehearsal of these values allows for various micro-differences (flavors) that encourage enough diversity and occasional "contradiction" (which in turn allows "truth" to be verified) and the whole thing keep humming along w/o question.

We see that conditioning, its torpor, febrile enthusiams and interruptions more or less reflected here.

Thanks. I thought it was Bourdieu but I'm dusting off cobwebs.

Nicely put on Foucault. I remember seeing them both as addressing the same problem but from different and complimentary perspectives, to my mind Foucault's macro approach and Bourdieu's micro (I'm criminally simplifying). I like the ideas of Bourdieu's 'symbolic violence' and the 'governmentality-sovereign power' dialectic in Foucault, and the 'paradox of doxa', a bit like Marx's 'false consiousness'. Weber on these themes too. The whole system, to its very core, very much including how we think about it, our internalised assumptions and normalisations (doxa), should be part of commonplace discourse, but isn't. Even agreeing on the need for such discourse can be a major sticking point (as we saw in the climate non-discussion discussion here). As you said, the whole thing keeps humming along without question. I'm not sure why exactly. Multi-factorial. It seems focus is on symptoms rather than deeper causes. Radical change is framed pejoratively radical/fringe/utopian etc. Embedded power structures from within and without.

Anyway, libs should be careful what they wish for, I think. Using state apparatus to force the overthrow of legitimately elected state (Trump) might not end well (should the end be achieved). The system's self-correction that both legitimizes and further strengthens dominance and binary divisions isn't an outcome anyone wants (other than the power holders). I'm reminded of the paradox of the oppressed legitimizing their own oppression.

Who doesn't love a pink pussy hat though?!
Dan2016

Re:

21 May 2017 00:51

aphronesis wrote:http://www.alternet.org/story/18990/reagan%27s_drug_war_legacy

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vice-on-hbo-dubai-workers-trump-international-golf-club

@unchained "slave" worker conditions for east asians (tent cities, confiscated passports, etc.) make the gulf go round. You can't drop that one on Trump. (I know: that might be an Islamophobic slur.)

At least Russia has a surplus of hot women to export. How's middle america looking?

Russian babes! Yes! Can we have more talk about Russian babes please?

Hard as nails they are. Beauty mixed with a coldness and non sentimentality that's very different to western sensibilities.

I hope that was a useful contribution...
Dan2016

21 May 2017 00:59

Scott SoCal wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

My bad.

Did I read what I wrote? You mean before I posted it? Uh, um, yes. Is that bad?

Yes it's bad Scott. Stream of consciousness please. US Politics Finnegans Wake. More fitting for our times...
Dan2016

21 May 2017 01:54

@dan, sure, i would think symboliv violence and its truth effects overlap.
aphronesis
Veteran

21 May 2017 06:34

Yes indeed, lots overlapage me thinks. The Principle of Symbolic Violence Truthiness Structuralz-Agency Dialectic Overlapage Qua Doxa Consciousness Thingies. Or PSVTSADOQDCT for short...
Dan2016

21 May 2017 08:32

Another U-Turn by Trump. Now S-A is a trustworthy ally the US can supply with billions and billions worth of weapons. The people in Yemen will no doubt be thrilled.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

21 May 2017 10:22

Dan2016 wrote:Yes indeed, lots overlapage me thinks. The Principle of Symbolic Violence Truthiness Structuralz-Agency Dialectic Overlapage Qua Doxa Consciousness Thingies. Or PSVTSADOQDCT for short...

....that should be Thingees with two e's eh....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

21 May 2017 10:43

....this could be nothing or it could be huge or it could be Putinesque subterfuge ....

As explained by iBankCoin, the discovery of Seth Rich’s main account led to the discovery of his secondary account u/pandas4bernie, the existence of which confirms what we’ve all suspected for a long time: that Rich was a closet Bernie supporter. Rich really, really, really, REALLY loved pandas, his known Instagram handle was panda4progress, and both u/pandas4bernie and Rich’s main account u/MeGrimlock4 stopped posting right after his murder. They’re both him. This adds a great deal of weight to the argument that Rich was upset about the way Sanders was being cheated by the DNC and used his access as DNC Voter Expansion Director to pass Committee emails to late WikiLeaks director Gavin MacFadyen as an anonymous federal investigator is reported to have informed Fox News.

....and...

FlickMontana ‎@flickmontana

@caitoz Seth Rich's email was in a comment on his Reddit account, but it was edited out an hour ago.

2:22 AM - 20 May 2017

All of this could have been completely dismissed and denied in the public debate by proponents of the establishment narrative, if someone hadn’t had the sense to archive Seth Rich’s account before whoever edited it deleted the email address with Rich’s full name in it, linking him conclusively to the account u/MeGrimlock4

My theory, while I have your attention, is that Seth Rich was not just assassinated because he was the DNC leaker, but also because he knew he was the DNC leaker. America’s unelected power establishment wants to depose Assad to secure its crucial position in the fossil fuel battles and squeeze the Kremlin hard so it stops taking bold actions like allying with the Syrian government, annexing the strategically important Crimean peninsula, and collaborating with China to undermine the hegemony of the US dollar in that region. If Rich had been able to step forward and let everyone know that he was WikiLeaks’ source and not Russia, the American people would never consent to these potentially world-ending escalations with a nuclear superpower, and America’s deep state would lose geopolitical power and influence. Can’t have that. Dead men tell no tales

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/someone-just-edited-seth-richs-reddit-posts-b5f185b0aab

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

21 May 2017 10:49

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General