Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

15 May 2018 15:11

Scott SoCal wrote:

The company was either organized at the time in question or it was not. It’s exceptionally easy to determine even in Russia. Mr Durden understands what’s happened here and thus the reportage.

More;

Two US lawyers for Concord stepped up in recent weeks to pick away at the prosecutors' approach. At first, the Concord attorneys took issue with the way Mueller's team had contacted them with a summons, then they demanded more details about the information prosecutors have in the case. Judges have not yet stepped in on those issues. Concord said in its filing Monday that it plans to ask the court to dismiss the charge. The company has also asked the federal judge to examine instructions Mueller's team gave to the grand jury that approved the indictment.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/politics/concord-consulting-mueller-court-case-russia-election/index.html?sr=twCNN051418concord-consulting-mueller-court-case-russia-election0654PMVODtop

Given the lashing Mueller received last week (Judge Ellis) “He (Ellis) summed up the argument of the Special Counsel’s Office as, “We said this is what the investigation was about. But we’re not going to be bound by it, and we weren’t really telling the truth in that May 17 letter [appointing a special counsel].” 

In other words the government is lying.

Ya bro, missing things can be problematic.
This whole post is like the prelude to Sideshow Bob stepping right onto the rake. Or Wile E Coyote looking down and realizing that gravity will not be defeated.

Prigozhin founded Concord Catering in 1996, and over the years began feeding Moscow children and eventually the Russian military. Putin attended the 2010 opening of Prigozhin’s food factory outside St. Petersburg, designed to supply food to schools, according to Meduza.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/16/the-rise-of-putins-chef-yevgeniy-prigozhin-the-russian-accused-of-manipulating-the-u-s-election/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fc9687d8c3ec
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

15 May 2018 15:44

djpbaltimore wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

The company was either organized at the time in question or it was not. It’s exceptionally easy to determine even in Russia. Mr Durden understands what’s happened here and thus the reportage.

More;

Two US lawyers for Concord stepped up in recent weeks to pick away at the prosecutors' approach. At first, the Concord attorneys took issue with the way Mueller's team had contacted them with a summons, then they demanded more details about the information prosecutors have in the case. Judges have not yet stepped in on those issues. Concord said in its filing Monday that it plans to ask the court to dismiss the charge. The company has also asked the federal judge to examine instructions Mueller's team gave to the grand jury that approved the indictment.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/politics/concord-consulting-mueller-court-case-russia-election/index.html?sr=twCNN051418concord-consulting-mueller-court-case-russia-election0654PMVODtop

Given the lashing Mueller received last week (Judge Ellis) “He (Ellis) summed up the argument of the Special Counsel’s Office as, “We said this is what the investigation was about. But we’re not going to be bound by it, and we weren’t really telling the truth in that May 17 letter [appointing a special counsel].” 

This whole post is like the prelude to Sideshow Bob stepping right onto the rake. Or Wile E Coyote looking down and realizing that gravity will not be defeated.

Prigozhin founded Concord Catering in 1996, and over the years began feeding Moscow children and eventually the Russian military. Putin attended the 2010 opening of Prigozhin’s food factory outside St. Petersburg, designed to supply food to schools, according to Meduza.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/16/the-rise-of-putins-chef-yevgeniy-prigozhin-the-russian-accused-of-manipulating-the-u-s-election/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fc9687d8c3ec

Again, the company was either organized at the time in question or it was not. It’s exceptionally easy to determine even in Russia.

Either the lawyer representing Concord is wrong or Mueller is. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Edit;

Huh.

Special counsel Robert Mueller has withstood relentless political attacks, many distorting his record of distinguished government service.

But there’s one episode even Mueller’s former law enforcement comrades — and independent ethicists — acknowledge raises legitimate legal issues and a possible conflict of interest in his overseeing the Russia election probe.

In 2009, when Mueller ran the FBI, the bureau asked Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska to spend millions of his own dollars funding an FBI-supervised operation to rescue a retired FBI agent, Robert Levinson, captured in Iran while working for the CIA in 2007.

Yes, that’s the same Deripaska who has surfaced in Mueller’s current investigation and who was recently sanctioned by the Trump administration.

The Levinson mission is confirmed by more than a dozen participants inside and outside the FBI, including Deripaska, his lawyer, the Levinson family and a retired agent who supervised the case. Mueller was kept apprised of the operation, officials told me.

Melanie Sloan, a former Clinton Justice Department lawyer and longtime ethics watchdog, told me a “far more significant issue” is whether the earlier FBI operation was even legal: “It’s possible the bureau’s arrangement with Mr. Deripaska violated the Antideficiency Act, which prohibits the government from accepting voluntary services.”

George Washington University constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley agreed: “If the operation with Deripaska contravened federal law, this figure could be viewed as a potential embarrassment for Mueller. The question is whether he could implicate Mueller in an impropriety.”

Now that sources have unmasked the Deripaska story, time will tell whether the courts, Justice, Congress or a defendant formally questions if Mueller is conflicted.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/387625-mueller-may-have-a-conflict-and-it-leads-directly-to-a-russian-oligarch

Um, uh..... yeah. Alrighty then.
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 15 May 2018 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 May 2018 15:48

Feel the Bern.

TAPPER: Senator, I want to ask you. One of President Trump’s major nominees is on the docket for the Senate this week, Gina Haspel, nominated to be the next CIA director, the first woman CIA director. You have announced your opposition to that pick. Now, I have to ask, both Gina Haspel and former CIA Director John

Brennan were in the CIA when enhanced interrogation techniques, otherwise known by human rights groups as torture, were used. A lot of people who oppose Haspel’s nomination now over water- boarding, et cetera, voted yes when John Brennan was nominated by President Obama back in 2013, including you. Why? Why is Brennan OK, but Gina Haspel is not?

B. SANDERS: Well, on this one, I would agree with John McCain, and tell you that I think — and tell you what our leaders in the armed forces say. If the United States condones torture for other people, then that subjects our own men and women who are captured to be tortured as well. I think Brennan did a good job in his position. I have serious reservations about this nominee. And I will oppose her.

TAPPER: But you didn’t have reservations about John Brennan. You voted for John Brennan. I guess my question is…

B. SANDERS: Well…

TAPPER: … whatever reservations you have about Gina Haspel, why didn’t they apply to Obama’s nominee?

B. SANDERS: Well, it’s not — it’s not just — yes. Jake, it’s not just the issue of torture. It goes, I think, deeper than that. And that is the foreign policy that we have seen from Mr. Trump, which was repeated today by — by John Bolton, something that I also strongly disagree with.

In other words, Trump nominated her so she can't possibly be confirmed.

I'll provide the correct answer for Bernie to the highlighted: "Because I'm a political whooore, Jake."

At lease I could respect that answer.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 May 2018 16:48

No, the right answer is that he is running for president and doesn't want to be outflanked by Harris and Co.

I do admire your persistency, but the rake is not going to feel any better the hundredth time you step on it. Good effort by the defense attorney though. I look forward to hearing him back up his claim. Maybe Trump should hire him instead of the dopes that he sees on Fox News.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

15 May 2018 17:06

djpbaltimore wrote:No, the right answer is that he is running for president and doesn't want to be outflanked by Harris and Co.

I do admire your persistency, but the rake is not going to feel any better the hundredth time you step on it. Good effort by the defense attorney though. I look forward to hearing him back up his claim. Maybe Trump should hire him instead of the dopes that he sees on Fox News.

The other possibility is WaPo got it wrong. Rolling in and presenting the Court with demonstrably false information isn't probably something most defense attorney's are prone to do. But who knows.

No, Bernie is a hack. Nothing more. He'll obstruct Trump because that's all the Dems can do. If DJT has a reasonably successful run then Bernie knows what you know - progressivism is buried for another couple of decades.

Not sure how much more straight forward Halspel could possibly be;

Last edited by Scott SoCal on 15 May 2018 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:18

Scott SoCal wrote:
The other possibility is WaPo got it wrong. Rolling in and presenting the Court with demonstrably false information isn't probably something most defense attorney's are prone to do. But who knows.

No, Bernie is a hack. Nothing more. He'll obstruct Trump because that's all the Dems can do. If DJT has a reasonably successful run then Bernie knows what you know - progressivism is buried for another couple of decades.

Why did Cotton hold up one of Obama's nominations until the person eventually died? Apparently it was on personal grounds more than qualifications. You can't expect Trump to be given the gentle treatment considering how he and the GOP plays politics. You reap what you sow. If not for Garland, I think that there would be a lot less obstruction. Also, Sanders is not a Democrat.

I would agree that Haspel is qualified to run the CIA. But whether she should run it, or anybody involved with enhanced interrogation should, is a debate worth having.

The sourcing for Concord Catering goes back to Russian media and literature from the company itself. I guess that was also faked? I think you are putting WAAAAY too much faith in the lawyer.
djpbaltimore

15 May 2018 20:28

djpbaltimore wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

Why did Cotton hold up one of Obama's nominations until the person eventually died? Apparently it was on personal grounds more than qualifications. You can't expect Trump to be given the gentle treatment considering how he and the GOP plays politics. You reap what you sow. If not for Garland, I think that there would be a lot less obstruction. Also, Sanders is not a Democrat.

I would agree that Haspel is qualified to run the CIA. But whether she should run it, or anybody involved with enhanced interrogation should, is a debate worth having.

The sourcing for Concord Catering goes back to Russian media and literature from the company itself. I guess that was also faked? I think you are putting WAAAAY too much faith in the lawyer.

If not for Garland, I think that there would be a lot less obstruction

Go all the way back to Bork with this line of thinking.

The sourcing for Concord Catering goes back to Russian media and literature from the company itself. I guess that was also faked? I think you are putting WAAAAY too much faith in the lawyer

Perhaps... but as I stated, he's not helping himself or his client rolling in to the court and being flippant with the judge regarding material info very easily proven inaccurate. The court proceedings were pretty widely reported so if the attorney was wrong we will find out about it.

Also, Sanders is not a Democrat.

Who does he caucus with?
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:53

Here's the link to the registry of Russian legal entities

https://egrul.nalog.ru/download/C41DCE54E49826390B9136D332AA45CC22017A71507B235FFE062F455EF82710CF425BE9B717DCC04B8F07B865C0D8C21BDC99FE101C6FA9DAB21AC6BD892211

Field 13 on page 1 of the document is the registry date
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

15 May 2018 21:08

roundabout wrote:Here's the link to the registry of Russian legal entities

https://egrul.nalog.ru/download/C41DCE54E49826390B9136D332AA45CC22017A71507B235FFE062F455EF82710CF425BE9B717DCC04B8F07B865C0D8C21BDC99FE101C6FA9DAB21AC6BD892211

Field 13 on page 1 of the document is the registry date

Weird. 2/27/18 is actually after mid-2016. Maybe the lawyer isn’t all that stupid, or WaPo isn’t all that accurate.

6. Defendant ORGANIZATION had a strategic goal to sow discord in the U.S. political system, including the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Defendants posted derogatory information about a number of candidates, and by early to mid-2016, Defendants’ operations included supporting the presidential campaign of then-candidate Donald J. Trump (“Trump Campaign”) and disparaging Hillary Clinton. Defendants made various expenditures to carry out those activities, including buying political advertisements on social media in the names of U.S. persons and entities. Defendants also staged political rallies inside the United States, and while posing as U.S. grassroots entities and U.S. persons, and without revealing their Russian identities and ORGANIZATION affiliation, solicited and compensated real U.S. persons to promote or disparage candidates. Some Defendants, posing as U.S. persons and without revealing their Russian association, communicated with unwitting individuals associated with the Trump Campaign and with other political activists to seek to coordinate political activities.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 May 2018 22:15

Warner gives the green light to Haspel. Heitkamp immediately follows. She’ll likely be confirmed.

“Over the last year I’ve had the opportunity to work with Ms. Haspel in her role as Deputy Director, and I have always found her to be professional and forthright with the Intelligence Committee. Most importantly, I believe she is someone who can and will stand up to the President if ordered to do something illegal or immoral – like a return to torture.

“I acknowledge that this has been a difficult decision. There are valid questions that have been raised regarding the Acting Director’s record, and I have been frank with Ms. Haspel that I wish she had been more open with the American public during this process. However, in both our one-on-one meetings and in classified session before the Committee, I found Acting Director Haspel to be more forthcoming regarding her views on the interrogation program, which is why I asked her to memorialize those comments in writing. I also take to heart the strong support Ms. Haspel has among rank-and-file members of the intelligence community and from intelligence community leaders who served under President Obama”
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 15 May 2018 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 May 2018 22:28

https://www.axios.com/stocks-fall-as-rates-rise-1526415396-d18fa8d9-3fea-4f2c-a75d-9f638eb99019.html
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 193 points on Tuesday, breaking an eight-day winning streak.

A major culprit was spiking yields on U.S. Treasury notes, which reflects both U.S. economic strength and concerns about rising borrowing costs for both consumers and the government.

- Yields on benchmark 10-year Treasuries hit their highest level since 2011
- Yields on 2-year Treasuries hit their highest level since 2008.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

15 May 2018 22:31

The washpo article was dated 2 17 18. How could they report on something that did not exist until the 28th? This evidence is not very compelling.
djpbaltimore

Re:

15 May 2018 23:01

djpbaltimore wrote:The washpo article was dated 2 17 18. How could they report on something that did not exist until the 28th? This evidence is not very compelling.

Which evidence, WaPo or the corporate filing documents? Feeling like a mushroom are ya?

Hehehe... uh but this whole post is like the prelude to Sideshow Bob stepping right onto the rake. Or Wile E Coyote looking down and realizing that gravity will not be defeated.

Or something like that.

Last time, the atty probably doesn't present garbage to the court in a slightly obnoxious manner unless he's pretty confident his info is accurate.

That said, we shall see.
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 15 May 2018 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

15 May 2018 23:05

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.axios.com/stocks-fall-as-rates-rise-1526415396-d18fa8d9-3fea-4f2c-a75d-9f638eb99019.html
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 193 points on Tuesday, breaking an eight-day winning streak.

A major culprit was spiking yields on U.S. Treasury notes, which reflects both U.S. economic strength and concerns about rising borrowing costs for both consumers and the government.

Debt instruments will return to more normal levels as the economy normalizes. Lending rates were never going to forever stay in the 3's for 30-year mortgages just as bond yields were never going to forever stay in the mid-2's.

Plus, with an 8-day run, there will be some profit taking.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

16 May 2018 00:51

Scott SoCal wrote:
djpbaltimore wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

More;

Again, the company was either organized at the time in question or it was not. It’s exceptionally easy to determine even in Russia.

Either the lawyer representing Concord is wrong or Mueller is. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Edit;

Huh.

Special counsel Robert Mueller has withstood relentless political attacks, many distorting his record of distinguished government service.

But there’s one episode even Mueller’s former law enforcement comrades — and independent ethicists — acknowledge raises legitimate legal issues and a possible conflict of interest in his overseeing the Russia election probe.

In 2009, when Mueller ran the FBI, the bureau asked Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska to spend millions of his own dollars funding an FBI-supervised operation to rescue a retired FBI agent, Robert Levinson, captured in Iran while working for the CIA in 2007.

Yes, that’s the same Deripaska who has surfaced in Mueller’s current investigation and who was recently sanctioned by the Trump administration.

The Levinson mission is confirmed by more than a dozen participants inside and outside the FBI, including Deripaska, his lawyer, the Levinson family and a retired agent who supervised the case. Mueller was kept apprised of the operation, officials told me.

Melanie Sloan, a former Clinton Justice Department lawyer and longtime ethics watchdog, told me a “far more significant issue” is whether the earlier FBI operation was even legal: “It’s possible the bureau’s arrangement with Mr. Deripaska violated the Antideficiency Act, which prohibits the government from accepting voluntary services.”

George Washington University constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley agreed: “If the operation with Deripaska contravened federal law, this figure could be viewed as a potential embarrassment for Mueller. The question is whether he could implicate Mueller in an impropriety.”

Now that sources have unmasked the Deripaska story, time will tell whether the courts, Justice, Congress or a defendant formally questions if Mueller is conflicted.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/387625-mueller-may-have-a-conflict-and-it-leads-directly-to-a-russian-oligarch

Um, uh..... yeah. Alrighty then.

You Trumpettes love to attack Republican war heroes: https://www.wired.com/story/robert-mueller-vietnam

...and dude, if you can prove the entity existed, even though they had not filed for legal status, then the entity can be held liable...that isn't even controversial...any 2nd year law student knows this s**t (which is why the attorney in question stated if the company was later found to have EXISTED, he would represent them...you probably still don't see the difference, but I'm not inclined to do your heavy lifting, so I'll leave it at, you're really wet behind the ears on this stuff, and are laughably inept at discerning what's going on)...oh wait, you aren't trained in law...I almost forgot...

And BTW, special prosecutors have broad powers...so, uh...while I think the entire Russia thing is being overplayed, and fully recognize the US government's abhorrent record of involving itself in other countries elections (you conservatives love the s**t out of f**king with Latin American countries in particular), R's love to play the "special prosecutor" game as much as any, so quit whining, snowflake.
ChewbaccaDefense

16 May 2018 01:21

And look Scott, you aren't trained in law, and you don't work in courts, so a lot of this stuff that seems devastating and relevant, really isn't. Especially on the stage that these guys are playing, nobody can be trusted to reveal the truth of anything. Everybody has media consultants, and grandstanding brings in new clients, and endures careers if you're on the government side.

None of us know 90% of what is really happening, so relax man, either the s**t will hit the wall and stick, or it won't...court is a crap shoot on any level.
ChewbaccaDefense

16 May 2018 04:17

Good thing that got sorted. Here’s some more important news

https://www.popsugar.com/food/Disneyland-Thanos-Infinity-Gauntlet-Sipper-Cup-44843765/amp
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 04:47

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:And look Scott, you aren't trained in law, and you don't work in courts, so a lot of this stuff that seems devastating and relevant, really isn't. Especially on the stage that these guys are playing, nobody can be trusted to reveal the truth of anything. Everybody has media consultants, and grandstanding brings in new clients, and endures careers if you're on the government side.

None of us know 90% of what is really happening, so relax man, either the s**t will hit the wall and stick, or it won't...court is a crap shoot on any level.

Lessee, I posted an article from Zerohedge with exactly two words of commentary from me. You took issue.

Other than that I agree with every word above.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

16 May 2018 05:00

Scott SoCal wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:https://www.axios.com/stocks-fall-as-rates-rise-1526415396-d18fa8d9-3fea-4f2c-a75d-9f638eb99019.html

Debt instruments will return to more normal levels as the economy normalizes. Lending rates were never going to forever stay in the 3's for 30-year mortgages just as bond yields were never going to forever stay in the mid-2's.

Plus, with an 8-day run, there will be some profit taking.

The banks have soooo much money let out at low interest, they are not going to be eager to have their customers pay them back with inflated dollars. And the banks run the Fed. We'll have to see.

Your "normal" take is questionable after Wall Street's raid on home equity a few years ago. Especially after all the banking deregulation, "normal" can be anything.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General