Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

18 May 2017 20:42

Scott SoCal wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:Senate Judiciary Committee wants all Comey memos pertaining to Trump, Obama, Sessions, Lynch, Rosenstein, Boente, and Yates regarding both Russia and Clinton email investigations

page1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAEq4GiVoAE1KBX.jpg

page2
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAC3mtkUQAA5q25.jpg

Kind of looks like Rosenstein is going to open up something investigatory on Clinton. Interesting with her ties to Russia via CGI how that might go.

Dems want a Russia investigation? Okay, let's have one.
i very quickly scanned page1...i saw a 'request' while i was looking for a 'subpoena' word. none found. since i admittedly do not fully understand the united states political legalities, i assume a request can be easily ignored, compared to a congressional subpoena, provided one is possible ?

btw, i just read in a german source that flynn had decided to ignore a congressional request for certain documents. clearly, he would not go that far w/o the support of his lawyers.

i can easily see the comey request, even if compelled, to go the same routed - exactly b/c, as scott said:

it may destroy those dem anti-trump hard liners like hillary.

in the dirty washington, there is no such a thing as politically clean, i guess.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

18 May 2017 20:49

Another African-American killed by a cop, but let's focus on Vlad the Putster and the substantial evidence that the Russians 'hacked' the elections.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/05/17/tulsa-police-officer-terrence-crutcher/101818494/
BullsFan22

Re:

18 May 2017 21:01

red_flanders wrote:
One Republican operative in frequent contact with White House officials described them as “going through the stages of grief.” Another said some aides have “moved to angry,” frustrated with a president who demands absolute loyalty but in recent days has publicly tarnished the credibility of his team by sending them out with one message — only to personally undercut it later with a contradictory tweet or public comment.

“The problem with this White House is that there is no one, including Priebus, who is able to tell the president what he doesn’t want to hear and until there is, this White House will be broken, will be dysfunctional and so will Trump’s presidency.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-worst-job-in-washington-right-now-working-for-trump/2017/05/17/a3d9ec00-3b17-11e7-a058-ddbb23c75d82_story.html?utm_term=.6e3076c302b1

Too bad none of this total chaos and ineptitude was predictable...

At least he's consistent in his demands of loyalty.

Trump is all over the place. Saying A, then B, then C, then refuting he ever said A or B or C - just like he has done the past years. He's the kind of guy that cannot put anything into perspective (a perspective in which he's always central), and I imagine he's getting angrier and more erratic by the day. He'll end up completely paranoid and will play the fiddle while the city burns (wild extrapolation for dramatic effect, sadly not 100% impossible).
User avatar Jagartrott

18 May 2017 21:02

User avatar Bustedknuckle

18 May 2017 21:16

Jagartrott wrote:]

Saying A, then B, then C, then refuting he ever said A or B or C - just like he has done the past years.
pls provide the specific examples (and the links/references) to A, B, and C and to then inverse the A,B, and C.

after all, that way would be a methodical approach or (as you often pound your chest on - a science-like approach).

so, pls go ahead...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2017 21:29

red_flanders wrote:...aaaand in a shocking development, Rosenstein knew Comey was getting fired when he wrote the memo.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rod-rosenstein-james-comey-firing-memo-mccaskill-2017-5

...acknowledged that he learned Comey would be removed prior to him writing his memo," despite the White House's initial insistence that Trump fired Comey at Rosenstein's recommendation.

Because, you know, the President himself saying he fired Comey because of Russia wasn't enough for some folks.

So, therefore, what? You think Rosenstein wasn't communicating with the administration on the problems with Comey before he committed it to paper? Something as altering as the firing of Comey wasn't discussed in any fashion before Rosenstein penned his memo?

Sounds legit.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2017 21:34

....awesome piece of journalism ....talk about speaking truth to power and zeroing in on that truth thingee like a laser....especially like the following in that regard....

Because Putingate was organized by a hostile foreign dictator

.....and the rest of the article is just as good....absolutely terrific stuff....and incidentally just like everything else you've ever put forth on this subject....like nothing that could ever be see as cheap propaganda, fake news, or just plain hyperbolic crap....no siree, just the straight honest truth....as honest as the day is long and so on and so forth eh...

Cheers
Last edited by blutto on 18 May 2017 22:04, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar blutto
Veteran

18 May 2017 21:40

blutto wrote:

....awesome piece of journalism ....talk about speaking truth to power and zeroing in on that truth thingee like a laser....especially like the following in that regard....

.....and the rest of the article is just as good....absolutely terrific stuff....

Cheers

I believe it's a classic case of 'grasping for straws.'
BullsFan22

18 May 2017 21:46

Kucinich on the Deep State and Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9wWIhwKy4c
Beech Mtn

18 May 2017 21:46

BullsFan22 wrote:
blutto wrote:

.....and the rest of the article is just as good....absolutely terrific stuff....

Cheers

I believe it's a classic case of 'grasping for straws.'

....its a used ham sandwich, that has been p!$$ed on to give it some extra spice....and delivered steaming hot from Killbilly Katering Korp....and it comes with fries smothered in that special brown sauce...mmmm, I can smell from all the way up here...

Cheers
Last edited by blutto on 19 May 2017 01:08, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar blutto
Veteran

18 May 2017 21:49

blutto wrote:

.....and the rest of the article is just as good....absolutely terrific stuff....and incidentally just like everything else you've ever put forth on this subject....like nothing that could ever be see as cheap propaganda, fake news, or just plain hyperbolic crap....no siree, just the straight honest truth....as honest as the day is long and so on and so forth...

Cheers

Excuse me, blutto. I have to agree with Busted's piece here. Hillary was indeed a hostile foreign dictator.
Beech Mtn

18 May 2017 21:49

it is not grasping for straws, b/c that would mean a modicum of rationality when stretching something...

saying putin has organized/masterminded a putingate in the united states is plain stupid. it literally means he had magically and intentionally infected the brains of all the washington dildo politicos to OVERREACT to the 'russian hack'.

to assume so much magic on the part of one politician is very stoooopud, indeed
User avatar python
Veteran

18 May 2017 21:50

Beech Mtn wrote:
blutto wrote:

.....and the rest of the article is just as good....absolutely terrific stuff....and incidentally just like everything else you've ever put forth on this subject....like nothing that could ever be see as cheap propaganda, fake news, or just plain hyperbolic crap....no siree, just the straight honest truth....as honest as the day is long and so on and so forth...

Cheers

Excuse me, blutto. I have to agree with Busted's piece here. Hillary was indeed a hostile foreign dictator.

....most excellent point....I stand corrected...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

18 May 2017 22:39

For a lucid discussion of Trumps current crises, this is outstanding. Never mind the title, it's not what the spin doctors will assume. Take some time and listen.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/the-path-to-impeachment
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

18 May 2017 22:52

red_flanders wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
red_flanders wrote:
One Republican operative in frequent contact with White House officials described them as “going through the stages of grief.” Another said some aides have “moved to angry,” frustrated with a president who demands absolute loyalty but in recent days has publicly tarnished the credibility of his team by sending them out with one message — only to personally undercut it later with a contradictory tweet or public comment.

. “The problem with this White House is that there is no one, including Priebus, who is able to tell the president what he doesn’t want to hear and until there is, this White House will be broken, will be dysfunctional and so will Trump’s presidency.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-worst-job-in-washington-right-now-working-for-trump/2017/05/17/a3d9ec00-3b17-11e7-a058-ddbb23c75d82_story.html?utm_term=.6e3076c302b1

Too bad none of this total chaos and ineptitude was predictable...

At least he's consistent in his demands of loyalty.

Talk about consistent.. that WaPo is as reliable as it gets. An un named operative speaking to un named admin officials... not sure why you constantly fall for that kind of 'journalism.'

You keep shooting the messenger and running the spin machine, and I'll keep posting information which turns out to be correct. Time will tell, as it has done so far. I'm OK with that.

I'm sorry, what was correct?
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2017 22:55

Beech Mtn wrote:Kucinich on the Deep State and Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9wWIhwKy4c

Yeah. First hand experience with the 4th branch of government.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

19 May 2017 01:22

python wrote:
pls provide the specific examples (and the links/references) to A, B, and C and to then inverse the A,B, and C.

after all, that way would be a methodical approach or (as you often pound your chest on - a science-like approach).

so, pls go ahead...

Lots of examples provided here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/04/the-flip-flop-president/522840/

That list is not close to exhaustive, e.g., he has reversed himself on the border wall and on immigration in general. Now if you want to nitpick, those are mostly A-B examples. But there are A-B-C examples as well. When he fired Comey, the WH first said it was on the recommendation of Rosenstein (A); then it said it was because the FBI was in turmoil (B), which the acting FBI director denied; then Trump said he intended to fire Comey all along, and had not acted on Rosenstein’s recommendation (C).

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/05/trump-fire-comey/

There are other examples from the campaign. Trump used to be strongly pro-choice (A), then during the campaign said that women with abortions should be punished (B), then retracted that when it caused an uproar among Republicans (C). In 2000, he said he wouldn’t join the Reform party because David Duke was a member (A); in an interview in 2015, when told that Duke had endorsed him, he professed not even to know who Duke was (B); in 2016, in an interview with Jake Tapper, he repeated that he didn’t know who Duke was or what he stood for; then after the interview, in which he specifically used the words David Duke, he said he had a malfunctioning ear piece, and didn’t know they were talking about David Duke (C).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/03/01/donald-trump-and-david-duke-for-the-record/?utm_term=.4afd888cf8f5

Now finding examples of Trump's then refuting that he ever said A, B or C would take more time than I'm willing to put into this, but I think the main point is clear.
Merckx index

19 May 2017 06:00

python wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:]

Saying A, then B, then C, then refuting he ever said A or B or C - just like he has done the past years.

so, pls go ahead...

A,B,C,D.. pretty easy.
A, I didn't have any contact with Russians,ie received any money from them..we now know that is untrue and with the bonus lie happy meal about tax returns being under audit is and was proven to be complete BS..and as he does..he says F yourself nobody cares I'm not releasing them.
B, Trump tells Sessions not to recuse himself, hours later he refuses himself.. Sessions admits he chimed in, illegally on Comey.Trump said he was " advised" later says after talking with himself fired Comey. I believe both.
C Trump making statements of surprise about how little he knows, about China,North Korea...how to say Coca while discussing a multi billion dollar anti blow campaign.Trump saying he wants bill brought to a vote for nothing more than symbolism is BS.. thanks to those in his party that need some budget numbers before passing crazy laws.
D, Trump's threats to fellow UN members to pay there share has government budget offices doing something American switch police responsibilities to military,,so France and Germany can possible comply with defense spending as a part of GDP by renaming who does what.
And your other post is correct..I repeat you are correct.. Putin doesn't need to mastermind anything to get the desired effect from every side.. It's kind of the negative CAT3 breakaway mindset... you go off and 2,3,4 guys chase you down and sit up as soon as they get you..did they want to be in a breakaway? No they just didn't want you to be in one..
Putin doesn't need to spread tacks on the race course..he just needs to have people fear his actions... even if he doesn't act
Unchained

19 May 2017 08:58

unchained, you and index expanded quite an an effort to address what i never doubted - that trump can and did change his rhetoric drastically...i should take some responsibility for assuming my context was obvious. upon rereading - it was not. i was referring to the following trotter statement (bolded):
python wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:

did trump ever deny saying A, B, C ? keep in mind, all sorts of media interpretations of his actual words could be played to advance one or another accusation against him.

to a side observer like myself - and perhaps to many more who want him impeached on some hard legal grounds - the most important facts would be those he committed to in front of a recorded camera or with his own hand in writing.

anything else is 'he said/she said' drama.

why trump is gig-zagging so much is a different matter to me...which by itself could be an interesting subject to explore.
User avatar python
Veteran

19 May 2017 09:52

Merckx Index' post contains an example of Trump denying or refuting what he said earlier.
He's contradicting himself so often, Youtube compilations exist.

He just doesn't seem to care.
User avatar Jagartrott

PreviousNext

Return to General