Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

19 May 2017 22:46

Sorry, I'm being childish with the previous one, I know.

I'm thinking Theatre of the Absurd. Might has well laugh. I'd like to see a Beckett or Jodorowsky take on the current political circus.
Dan2016

19 May 2017 23:41

A very brief rebuttal to neoliberalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpiL3wuluEY
Dan2016

19 May 2017 23:43

Neoliberalism: More seriously, I like the (part) definition of systemic 'mental colonisation'. I think it was that Frenchie guy Bourdieu who said that. Or was it Foucault... no I think it was Bourdieu - him of 'symbolic violence'. By extension, the likes of the huge self-help/self-improvement industry would be the poster-child or crowning achievement of the neoliberal project.

Our minds are like totally colonised dudes... woah! Far out! Gotta think outside the box man... uncertainty and non-dogmatism...or something...
Dan2016

19 May 2017 23:45

You know, you're normally an idiot Dan but that sounded like totally deep and profound.
Last edited by Dan2016 on 19 May 2017 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Dan2016

19 May 2017 23:46

Thanks Dan.
Dan2016

Re: U.S. Politics

20 May 2017 00:54

....bravo....or seeing as this is nominally a cycling-centric thread, chapeau...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

20 May 2017 03:14

Non-fake news that will have everyone considering being a staunch Republican.. anything about Anthony Wiener..a 9 pound 7 month old dies after hipster parents feed the little one quinoa milk mix..all NY rags run story about Lena Dunham canceled tour dates because of endometriosis complications..
The world is in a holding pattern as Trump prepares to explain Islam.. this is going to be great!!!
Unchained

Re:

20 May 2017 03:18

aphronesis wrote:Some people think that pseudonym things is just for laffs and all that. Alternative identities. Shouldn't be a tough one for the crowd that don't miss a beat freaking out over Trump's indiscretions..

Who are you and who exactly yanked your chain?

Semper Fidelis wrote:I have to keep asking that folks don't use my real name. Please don't.

Sincere apologies. A PM would have gotten my attention immediately and I'd have been happy to fix it.

In my defense I'm here somewhat sporadically. I'm busy and don't keep up on all the changes, but it won't happen again.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

20 May 2017 03:56

I'm mighty calm bro. My chain? I'm not doing drive bys. So what's challenging you?

I realize that 3-4 of the points I was indicating in that relatively innocuous nee agressive post were lost on you.

So it seems. I could channel Scott a bit and asjk if the condition is congenital or deliberate.
Last edited by aphronesis on 20 May 2017 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
aphronesis
Veteran

20 May 2017 04:21

Oh yah, I'm excited now! If being a nut job gets you kicked out of DC, there is going to be a mass exodus!
jmdirt

Re:

20 May 2017 05:30

jmdirt wrote:Oh yah, I'm excited now! If being a nut job gets you kicked out of DC, there is going to be a mass exodus!

From the D.C. Press corps...
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

20 May 2017 11:38

....why someone and their useful idiot proxies the "alt-left" aka the latte fueled la bespoke resistance is pushing for impeachment....

It is true the Senate has tried 13 lesser officials, mostly judges, who’d been impeached by the House. But that’s still not much to go on; impeachment is essentially a justice system that has held only 15 trials total in 229 years, so there’s little precedent for any part of the process. This means that impeachment is inevitably, irredeemably political: An impeachable offense is whatever Congress decides it is, and no action is impeachable if Congress doesn’t want it to be

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/17/for-donald-trump-a-short-history-of-presidential-obstruction-of-justice/

....which basically means you really don't need much if any of this evidence stuff....you just need to sway the public opinion that drives politics and voila , impeachment....now is that cool or what, a propaganda driven conviction, and the best part, no compelling evidence required....

....and because you not only have unlimited resources but also access to the levers of the propaganda you can keep pushing such an agenda until the cows come home...the fact it is diverting attention from important stuff, like say, running the country , pales beside the central point which is, we lost, and we'll do anything, and everything, to either reverse that, or at the very least do some serious scorched earth...and its not like we haven't destroyed countries before...we have, and we're really good at it, and frankly we really don't care....its all about us coming out on top...its me me me me me !

....how totally psychotic, ( and cue the cackle ), how totally Killbilly....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

20 May 2017 14:34

Late watching the best GT race of the year but..this would be bad enough said to some of his hinge-neck staff...but to the object of the investigation, Russia..brilliant don..

dope

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html?_r=0
User avatar Bustedknuckle

20 May 2017 15:27

So for the Trump Election Result Deniers, let's review shall we?

"I hope you can let this go, he's a good guy"; Comey himself has shot this down with testimony on May 3 (vid posted upthread). And for the science community let's remember that the February Diary entry precedes May (that means it comes before).

Trump passed "highly classifies secrets to the Russians".... shot down by McMaster as fake news/false reporting... frowny face to WaPo and NY Times being suckered again by the anonymourse sources.

Trump collusion with Putin to keep Hillary from campaigning in the rust belt... one of California's finest just yesterday;

WOLF BLITZER, CNN: The last time we spoke, Senator, I asked you if you had actually seen evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians, and you said to me -- and I am quoting you now -- you said, ‘not at this time.’ Has anything changed since we spoke last?

SEN. FEINSTEIN: Well, no -- no, it hasn't...

BLITZER: But, I just want to be precise, Senator. In all of the -- you have had access from the Intelligence Committee, from the Judiciary Committee, all of the access you have had to very sensitive information, so far you have not seen any evidence of collusion, is that right?

SEN. FEINSTEIN: Well, evidence that would establish that there's collusion. There are all kinds of rumors around, there are newspaper stories, but that's not necessarily evidence.

Rumors of course started by the DNC and Team Hillary (who can't do elections but are talented at leveraging collusive relationship with major news outlets to spread fake news hoping to overturn a freely elected president)

So, deniers, I suppose that puts you back to name calling and scouring for the next "scandal."

Btw, the frustration really is setting in among the Trump Election Result Deniers.... Anderson Cooper;

"I don't care what he says to the Russian prime – to the Russians," (Jeffrey) Lord (CNN paid contributor) replied. "I mean, he's the president of the United States. If he wants to say that, if Barack Obama wants to say whatever, if George Bush says 'I looked in his eyes and' – "

Cooper interrupted him: "If he took a dump on his desk, you would defend it."

He continued: "I don't know what he would do that you would not defend."

But Trump is boorish... classless... lacks eloquence.

You Trump Election Result Deniers run around in a clownish fashion accusing Trump of being a clown. Highly entertaining. I can't wait for the next public Ivanka/dad incest reference so you TERD's can get a good laugh out of it because most of you surely need one.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

20 May 2017 15:30

Funny stuff above, copy to Mueller, he'll need it, of course. Glad at least one here has it 'all figured out'.. :lol:

Covering one’s head isn’t required for foreigners, and Western women who have visited the country often choose not do so. Michelle Obama decided against it when she accompanied then-President Barack Obama on a 2015 condolence visit following the death of King Abdullah — something Trump railed against at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/melania-trump-headscarf-saudi-arabia-draws-attention-article-1.3180897

At last, not fake news..congratulations!!!

20 May 2017 15:42

"We think President Trump's cabinet does understand the Saudi challenges and does understand the challenges the GCC [Gulf Cooperation Council] faces."

Wonder if donnie understands why SA still stones women for adultery and donnie saying SA was behind 9/11...maybe not.

don on 9/11 and his buddies at infowars...yeegads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9Z43tC2eQ

20 May 2017 15:50

Bustedknuckle wrote:Funny stuff above, copy to Mueller, he'll need it, of course. Glad at least one here has it 'all figured out'.. :lol:

Covering one’s head isn’t required for foreigners, and Western women who have visited the country often choose not do so. Michelle Obama decided against it when she accompanied then-President Barack Obama on a 2015 condolence visit following the death of King Abdullah — something Trump railed against at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/melania-trump-headscarf-saudi-arabia-draws-attention-article-1.3180897

At least we can now agree that all the TERDS ever had was name calling.

The breathless tone of the reporting suggested some major breach had occurred. And yet the Post, by its own admission, had nothing.

"As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secretes, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law," the Post wrote on May 16.

Now we're supposed to believe — again, with no hard evidence, this time from a New York Times report — that, one day after his national security advisor, Michael Flynn, resigned on Feb. 14, President Trump obstructed justice by asking Comey to find a way to drop the FBI's investigation into Flynn's ties with the Russians.

It's a serious charge, one that could lead to impeachment, potentially. It supposedly comes from notes that Comey has been keeping of his dealings with Trump — notes the Times' reporter didn't even see.

And yet, on May 3, Comey himself told the Senate under oath that he had not been politically pressured to halt any investigation. But Rosenstein was politically stampeded into naming Mueller as special counsel by what could turn out to be an entirely spurious news report.

When you can have hearsay and anonymous rumor-mongering driving major legal investigations with potentially enormous ramifications for our government and election system, something has gone terribly wrong.

And the Democrats may come to regret their eagerness to take down Trump. Charged with doing a thorough investigation, Mueller should look not just into Trump's ties with the Russians, but former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's and former President Barack Obama's, as well. It's only fair.

As we've documented below and in links within this story, both Clinton and Obama have sketchy histories, to be generous, when it comes to Russia. Compared to them, Trump may look like Mr. Clean.

I guess we will see Dems interest in really getting to the bottom of the Russia ties, which we all know is non-existent.

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/democrats-may-come-to-regret-mueller-investigation-into-trump-russia-ties/
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

20 May 2017 17:19

Scott SoCal wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:Funny stuff above, copy to Mueller, he'll need it, of course. Glad at least one here has it 'all figured out'.. :lol:

At least we can now agree that all the TERDS ever had was name calling.

The breathless tone of the reporting suggested some major breach had occurred. And yet the Post, by its own admission, had nothing.

"As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secretes, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law," the Post wrote on May 16.

Now we're supposed to believe — again, with no hard evidence, this time from a New York Times report — that, one day after his national security advisor, Michael Flynn, resigned on Feb. 14, President Trump obstructed justice by asking Comey to find a way to drop the FBI's investigation into Flynn's ties with the Russians.

It's a serious charge, one that could lead to impeachment, potentially. It supposedly comes from notes that Comey has been keeping of his dealings with Trump — notes the Times' reporter didn't even see.

And yet, on May 3, Comey himself told the Senate under oath that he had not been politically pressured to halt any investigation. But Rosenstein was politically stampeded into naming Mueller as special counsel by what could turn out to be an entirely spurious news report.

When you can have hearsay and anonymous rumor-mongering driving major legal investigations with potentially enormous ramifications for our government and election system, something has gone terribly wrong.

And the Democrats may come to regret their eagerness to take down Trump. Charged with doing a thorough investigation, Mueller should look not just into Trump's ties with the Russians, but former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's and former President Barack Obama's, as well. It's only fair.

As we've documented below and in links within this story, both Clinton and Obama have sketchy histories, to be generous, when it comes to Russia. Compared to them, Trump may look like Mr. Clean.

I guess we will see Dems interest in really getting to the bottom of the Russia ties, which we all know is non-existent.

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/democrats-may-come-to-regret-mueller-investigation-into-trump-russia-ties/

AND a 'few' GOP as well..just a few... :lol: The only division the special counsel creates is in adolf's staff.
Mueller should look not just into Trump's ties with the Russians, but former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's and former President Barack Obama's

Ain't gonna happen..

AND no, no, no, the term is 'and everybody knows it'..if you are going to be part of the TITS* group, get the vernacular correct.

*Trump Is The Savior...

all hail donald, adolf, hair force one...

20 May 2017 18:27

Speaking of mysteries, I note that none of the Anti-Trumps have much to say about any of this. Ever

http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/05/19/trumps-first-hundred-days-of-war-crimes/

We'll chalk that up to the usual liberal hypocrisy
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2017 19:12

aphronesis wrote:Speaking of mysteries, I note that none of the Anti-Trumps have much to say about any of this. Ever

http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/05/19/trumps-first-hundred-days-of-war-crimes/

We'll chalk that up to the usual liberal hypocrisy

....well of course not, to the alt-left/la resistance those aren't war crimes but divine, errrr, humanitarian intervention aka acting presidential-like....and I'm frankly disappointed in you , as should know better.... :rolleyes:....rookie mistake, but its ok, just try the special latte, and it will become all cleareristical ...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General