Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Sep 2017 14:09

“There is an ocean of silence between us… and I am drowning in it.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 14:10

“…the sad part is, that I will probably end up loving you without you for much longer than I loved you when I knew you.
Some people might find that strange.
But the truth of it is that the amount of love you feel for someone and the impact they have on you as a person, is in no way relative to the amount of time you have known them.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: Re:

10 Sep 2017 14:11

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
jmdirt wrote:When I spoke with one of the Attorney General's people, she said that a credit freeze isn't a bad idea (she talked about some 'interesting' stuff with that too though),but it is possible that its already too late based on the time frame of the hack.

Well, with a credit freeze, no one can open any accounts in your name, period. That includes you. You need to thaw it in order to do that. So there is zero chance someone could take your SS#, open an account of any sort, then spend money and have the bill come to you, or any money taken out of your accounts linked to anything. They'll get

The only way is if someone has your credit card or bank account number, plus CV number or PIN, and starts making purchases on line. If you're worried about that, call up all your creditors and ask for new accounts and cards immediately, and to have the old card/account voided. They'll do it. You'll be without that card for a few days waiting for the new one, but that's a slight inconvenience for most people.

Her thought was that the hackers could have already opened accounts that they will sit on, and/or sell over a period of time. You can run a credit check, which potentially opens another can of worms. She is also concerned about SS claims. I'm not worried about CCs, yet.

Have you tried a freeze yet? A few years ago when I had some identity fraud the freeze process was pretty ify IMO. I'm waiting for some more info before I move.
jmdirt

10 Sep 2017 14:11

“His walk and stare. Was as poisonous as the air after a nuclear bomb.”
― sequence kye kenneth young

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 14:13

“His walk and stare. Was as poisonous as the air after a nuclear bomb.”
― sequence kye kenneth young

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 14:17

“It’s painful, loving someone from afar.
Watching them – from the outside.
The once familiar elements of their life reduced to nothing more than occasional mentions in conversations and faces changing in photographs…..
They exist to you now as nothing more than living proof that something can still hurt you … with no contact at all.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 14:24

“If you cannot hold me in your arms, then hold my memory in high regard.
And if I cannot be in your life, then at least let me live in your heart.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 14:26

“I had someone once who made every day mean something.
And now…. I am lost….
And nothing means anything anymore.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

10 Sep 2017 14:28

“I miss that feeling of connection.
Knowing he was out there somewhere thinking about me at the same time I was thinking about him.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 14:29

“Very deep. You should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 16:10

Beech Mtn wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:beechmtn nice post about my slump busting.

i hoper you are not in this mess at flo or geo? all the best to you friend. stay safe dry and stay frosty!

Thanks, Semper. The track has moved so far west now that it'll be nothing here. Not even expecting to have to clear the potted plants off the porch. Good thing all the townsfolk went out and bought up all that bottled tap water though. Walmart needs money.

Did your office ever drain from taking on so much water from those two reservoirs?

Glad to read you might have dodged the bad stuff.

As of yesterday the Army Corps of Eng. started to throttle back the volume. The road officially shows open across the bayou. But I was there yesterday and it was waste deep about a block away. It might actually be down now because that area drains fast as long as their is not a reservoir release.

I'm going to check today after I visit the gym to get my swim in.

I would like to see some links to all that reading that was done on regulation and lack of zoning here in Houston that caused all the flooding. Its cool and all. Tonight I will have had a good deal of cold beverages and curse and insult like our Dude Brah.
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 16:16

Beech Mtn wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:beechmtn nice post about my slump busting.

i hoper you are not in this mess at flo or geo? all the best to you friend. stay safe dry and stay frosty!

Thanks, Semper. The track has moved so far west now that it'll be nothing here. Not even expecting to have to clear the potted plants off the porch. Good thing all the townsfolk went out and bought up all that bottled tap water though. Walmart needs money.

Did your office ever drain from taking on so much water from those two reservoirs?

Hey I don't drink milk but when Harvey was making its way to Texas, I went out and bought a car full of it. 15 to 20 gallons. Poured it all out and threw the empty plastic containers in the bayou. Trying to do my part for all the hard workers it will take to clean that up.

Also bought up a few sacks of bread. Use half a loaf for sandwiches and watched the other mold.
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 16:18

STF up Donnie. :surprised:
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

10 Sep 2017 17:00

....ok, this weird....

Fresh evidence submitted in a major 9/11 lawsuit moving forward against the Saudi Arabian government reveals its embassy in Washington may have funded a “dry run” for the hijackings carried out by two Saudi employees, further reinforcing the claim employees and agents of the kingdom directed and aided the 9/11 hijackers and plotters.

Two years before the airliner attacks, the Saudi Embassy paid for two Saudi nationals, living undercover in the US as students, to fly from Phoenix to Washington “in a dry run for the 9/11 attacks,” alleges the amended complaint filed on behalf of the families of some 1,400 victims who died in the terrorist attacks 16 years ago

https://nypost.com/2017/09/09/saudi-government-allegedly-funded-a-dry-run-for-911/

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 17:18

The vulnerable places in our credit system are too numerous to correct at this point.. someone can get your numbers..ATM or credit cards.. remove cash or buy things using the numbers.. often times over the limits because of overdraft protection..
criminals can hack devices using algo-- overlays as to not waste their time.. they will get an email when you enter anything that looks like a banking number gets entered on your phone,tablet or computer.. they can get a very few vital tidbits and assume or slightly change your identity profile and conduct a financial life as you or an alter ego ..
Criminals can pay for transaction data from merchants..a crooked employee.. can get exact credit card data from every transaction at there establishment..bar, restaurant,grocery store, bike shop.. massage parlor,ect..
As Americans it takes an act of God to change your social security number.. so if our main financial indicator is often your SS number the starting point for law abiding citizens and criminals is the same..
Credit freezing and putting credit activity security in place is only a pause but sooner or later as an American you are involved in the credit system..
Our country is spending billions on chasing,catching and caging people who are involved with weed on some level..
the guy..who got my credit card number from a one time use at a San Diego steak house bought a router, wireless headphones and two TVs w my number..he has the stuff and I ended up being responsible for zero of the amount. nobody ever caught for the crime.. cop basically told me that she has seen worse.. that they would do their best... I was sick to my stomach for weeks.. shopping in Vons or buying gas at Costco.. every time I used my card I had a level of worry.. even with new cards and numbers..
we need a change in law enforcement priorities..
Jeff Sessions needs to chase cyber crime instead of investigating if Harvard white students are getting a fair shake.. our government law enforcement folks need to help people who have not been convicted of crimes like Joe Arpio..
Unchained

10 Sep 2017 17:27

One other thing to keep in mind, you are much more protected using a credit card, than a debit card.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 19:01

When a CC gets hacked, its pretty easy to catch quickly if you have purchase alert*, or just look at you statement on a weekly basis. The problem with someone opening a new account with your info is that it may be several months or even a year before you find out. I found out about the PayPal account that was opened using my name and SS# because a collection agency contacted me.
*a text after every card swipe. By the time you are walking to the car you get a text alert that your card was used, and the amount.

Alpe, the reason that the assistant AG had some reservation about freezing was that there was/is some concern over the main security of all three credit agencies, but especially with their services interface. Meaning that when you enter your name and SS# into the system for a freeze, or credit check, etc. that information is easier to steal/easier to steal together.

Why do you think that CC are safer than DC?
jmdirt

10 Sep 2017 19:32

You can call all three agencies directly to freeze your credit over the phone. So unless the phone lines are hacked and staffed by hackers... Here are the numbers to call:

• Equifax — 1-800-349-9960
• Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
• TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872

With a credit card it's the bank's money, not yours. They don't want to lose money either, but banks have much more political pull than you for safeguards. Credit cards and similar credit lending has also been around longer. Thus the Truth In Lending Act, and the Fair Credit Billing Act. Debit cards are only protected by the Electronic Funds Acts, which is far less robust, and requires sharp diligence on the part of the user.

https://www.moneyunder30.com/credit-cards-better-than-debit-cards
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

10 Sep 2017 20:32

Alpe d'Huez wrote:You can call all three agencies directly to freeze your credit over the phone. So unless the phone lines are hacked and staffed by hackers... Here are the numbers to call:

• Equifax — 1-800-349-9960
• Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
• TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872

With a credit card it's the bank's money, not yours. They don't want to lose money either, but banks have much more political pull than you for safeguards. Credit cards and similar credit lending has also been around longer. Thus the Truth In Lending Act, and the Fair Credit Billing Act. Debit cards are only protected by the Electronic Funds Acts, which is far less robust, and requires sharp diligence on the part of the user.

https://www.moneyunder30.com/credit-cards-better-than-debit-cards

I see what you mean about CC vs DC. Yes, you have the extra layer of the CC company between you and the criminals. I'll have to do a little digging, but my CU issues Visa DCs, I wonder if that makes a difference? I have my DC locked at $500 purchase, and think I will lower it to $200.

If you call the big three, you are still using the service interface, but now you've added another person into the mix. They are just entering your information into the system instead of you. I wonder how long the wait is to actually talk with someone now?
jmdirt

11 Sep 2017 01:45

Well now the thread is on point: blutto's become the Canadian hallmark shill and grown men vaguely understand how to protect the virtualization of their assets.
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General