Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: U.S. Politics

11 Sep 2017 02:43

evolution took a back seat on this thread.
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 03:27

Semper Fidelis wrote:evolution took a back seat on this thread.

I know right? Maybe this can help sort the J man

Therefore, votes for candidates who are not running as Democrats or Republicans are, in effect, protest votes only. In our present circumstances, party building is all but out of the question. If the duopoly couldn’t be broken in 2016, the chances of breaking it any time soon are nil.

And so we have elections in which two highly polarized but ideologically like-minded political parties, differing mainly on “social” matters of little or no economic consequence, fight each other if not to the death, then to the next best thing.

Democrats are generally less odious than Republicans, but on matters of substance, they are not much better; they are not even all that different. Ours is essentially a one-party state in which the ruling party has two right wings, each at odds with the other.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/09/08/there-they-go-again/

These things don't happen in a vacuum. But I guess if you're busy working and "investing", it's hard to keep up. "Watching the news" won't sort it.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 11:38

aphronesis wrote:Well now the thread is on point: blutto's become the Canadian hallmark shill and grown men vaguely understand how to protect the virtualization of their assets.

...listen bub, its Soviet Canuckistan, and that is Shill like with one of those big S's eh.....and furthermore I have no affiliation with a crappy greeting card company ( just had to make that clear so there was clarity )....

Cheers
Last edited by blutto on 11 Sep 2017 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar blutto
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 11:41

aphronesis wrote:

I know right? Maybe this can help sort the J man

Therefore, votes for candidates who are not running as Democrats or Republicans are, in effect, protest votes only. In our present circumstances, party building is all but out of the question. If the duopoly couldn’t be broken in 2016, the chances of breaking it any time soon are nil.

And so we have elections in which two highly polarized but ideologically like-minded political parties, differing mainly on “social” matters of little or no economic consequence, fight each other if not to the death, then to the next best thing.

Democrats are generally less odious than Republicans, but on matters of substance, they are not much better; they are not even all that different. Ours is essentially a one-party state in which the ruling party has two right wings, each at odds with the other.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/09/08/there-they-go-again/

These things don't happen in a vacuum. But I guess if you're busy working and "investing", it's hard to keep up. "Watching the news" won't sort it.

....from the article....which btw is a fine read....

The 2018 midterm elections are still more than a year away, but, according to press reports, Democratic “hopefuls” are already courting “the donor class” in anticipation of the presidential election in 2020.

It is the same old same old that got us a Trump-Clinton election in 2016 and, worse, that stifled or derailed many of the most promising progressive initiatives of the preceding years.

Something like that is on track for happening again, the difference being that the background conditions are worse this time around: the ravages brought on by increasing inequality are more acute, there is a greater likelihood of a nuclear Armageddon, and the inevitable ecological catastrophes caused by anthropogenic climate disruption are advancing at a greater pace.

It doesn’t have to be this way, but all credible solutions involve the (small-d) democratization of the political sphere and, ultimately, the end of capitalism or at least of anything like capitalism as the world has so far known it. This would require restructuring our political economic system — from one dedicated to furthering what Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778) called “private” interests to one geared towards discovering and implementing “the general will.”

Nowadays, anything like that seems utterly out of reach everywhere. Timid versions of social democracy and New Deal-Great Society liberalism survive – in the United States, that’s what Bernie Sanders was about — but radical and revolutionary politics are, for all practical purposes, off the agenda. This lamentable state of affairs is, at once, a consequence of objective conditions and a cause of them.

Meanwhile, “democracy deficits” — gaps between what majorities want and even vote for, and what they get – are everywhere on the rise.

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 11:43

....no more like in a can tied to the back bumper, that being said there is a certain charm to the environment that creates....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 14:10

Some good news this morning.

“Is your political career over?” Jane Pauley asked Clinton on “CBS Sunday Morning.”

“Yes,” Clinton responded. “As an active politician, it’s over.

“I am done with being a candidate,” she added. “But I am not done with politics, because I literally believe that our country’s future is at stake.”
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 15:03

Scott SoCal wrote:Some good news this morning.

“Is your political career over?” Jane Pauley asked Clinton on “CBS Sunday Morning.”

“I am done with being a candidate,” she added. “But I am not done with politics, because I literally believe that our country’s future is at stake.”

Hallelujah!

Also: must not be too much money rolling in these days for the three time loser to have finally seen the writing on the wall.
thehog wrote:
Moscon's 6 weeks off for being racist turned him into a GT rider :confused:
Beech Mtn

Re:

11 Sep 2017 15:26

dont be naive scott...she has lied before, and she still does...she has a pathological attraction to power and being the boss. i dont trust this woman for one second !

all it'll take to reverse is ' she had to change her mind to fulfill her patriotic duty and serve the american people'
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Sep 2017 15:49

python wrote:

dont be naive scott...she has lied before, and she still does...she has a pathological attraction to power and being the boss. i dont trust this woman for one second !

all it'll take to reverse is ' she had to change her mind to fulfill her patriotic duty and serve the american people'

Coupla things I've seen today that make me giggle....

Hillary Clinton’s public career has been one defined only by stepping on rakes.

New poll shows Hillary Clinton is even less popular than Trump

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-shows-hillary-clinton-is-even-less-popular-than-trump/

Things I'm grateful for.... John Podesta (the gift that keeps on giving), Robby Mook, Jen Palmeri, Donna Brazile..

I guess they aren't 'things.' I'm grateful for them nonetheless and they are why, Pyhton, you should take heart. If HRC ever bothers to run for anything again there's no doubt she'll get the band back together. They sucked last time and they will suck next time.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 16:42

Scott SoCal wrote:
python wrote:

Coupla things I've seen today that make me giggle....

Hillary Clinton’s public career has been one defined only by stepping on rakes.

New poll shows Hillary Clinton is even less popular than Trump

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-shows-hillary-clinton-is-even-less-popular-than-trump/

Things I'm grateful for.... John Podesta (the gift that keeps on giving), Robby Mook, Jen Palmeri, Donna Brazile..

I guess they aren't 'things.' I'm grateful for them nonetheless and they are why, Pyhton, you should take heart. If HRC ever bothers to run for anything again there's no doubt she'll get the band back together. They sucked last time and they will suck next time.

Maybe she could team up with big bill de blasio to get the subways upgraded into the 21st century for all the miserable working class and debt saddled millenials who voted for them. Free up several hours a week.

Not very glamorous I know.
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 19:09

I guess "irma" disappointed the alarmist who where spooled up for a cat5 worstesttest worst ever.

Still trying to find links to all the reading for zoning and regulation muck here in Houston.

Have not seen any cartoons making fun at the land of Ferrell iguana's and domesticated / set loose boa constrictors. Why not they voted for copperhead also. I guess they had no regulation and zoning issues that kept them from flooding errrrrrr oh wait so far the most rain in one area was 12 inchs not 50 to 60,,,,, that might have had something to do with it NO?

"irma" did not even crack the top 5. to bad for her.

Remember back in 2005 when ALGORE said the new norm was super storms like katrina and rita. LMAO today we had "the view" claiming it was the strongest storm for since ever and ever...I guess their collective knowledge could fit into a "dixie cup"
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 19:13

Maybe she could team up with big bill de blasio to get the subways upgraded into the 21st century for all the miserable working class and debt saddled millenials who voted for them. Free up several hours a week.

Not very glamorous I know.

Is this clown duhh blasio as stupid and inept as some make him out to be? Sure seems to be searching for that elusive clue.

Was it him or copperhead that working really hard to get rid of the horse carriages in Central Park? I thought it was copperhead because he was eyeing the property that the stables were located on the west side.
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 19:25

So. Did Hillary attend the 9/11 memorial service again this year? I didn't see anything on the news about her passing out again.
thehog wrote:
Beech Mtn

Re:

11 Sep 2017 19:43

Beech Mtn wrote:So. Did Hillary attend the 9/11 memorial service again this year? I didn't see anything on the news about her passing out again.

I'll direct you to both the article and the comments section..... which is pure comedy.

CLINTON BLAMES COMEY, RUSSIA, WIKILEAKS, FACEBOOK, FAKE NEWS, VOTER ID LAWS, SEXISM, AND MISOGYNY FOR LOSING
‘And let’s not forget sexism and misogyny, which are endemic to our society’

https://news.grabien.com/story-two-minutes-clinton-blames-comey-russia-wikileaks-facebook-v

Here's a quick peek:

CoomassieBlue SonoranSeeker • 5 hours ago
She literally **** her pants on the campaign trail, and then was tossed into her medical van that follows her everywhere. If this were 80 years ago, whatever condition she has might have slipped through the public eye (how FDR masked his polio). Maybe if she was honest people would feel some sympathy for this vile woman, but no, everything has to be a secret with her.

User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 19:43

Other reported co-sponsors: Harris, Warren, Whitehouse, Booker, Schatz, Markey

Gillibrand? Leahy? rumored
thehog wrote:
Beech Mtn

12 Sep 2017 07:41

Just this thread?

It's the topic, and insanely corrupted and compromised system we have makes this all but inevitable.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 07:55

:eek: TMI on that poop chute image above. LOL.
But good reads fellas.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Sep 2017 12:05

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2017 12:17

....a sad tale of a sweet innocent from the wilds of Soviet Canuckistan corrupted by the evils of the big city.....really tragic really....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2017 12:22

Investigative reports in 2015 revealed that Exxon had its own scientists doing its own climate modeling as far back as the 1970s: science and modeling that was not only accurate, but that was being used to plan for the company’s future.

Now, a peer-reviewed study published August 23 has confirmed that what Exxon was saying internally about climate change was quantitatively very different from their public statements.

Specifically, researchers Geoffrey Supran and Naomi Oreskes found that at least 80 percent of the internal documents and peer-reviewed publications they studied from between 1977 and 2014 were consistent with the state of the science – acknowledging that climate change is real and caused by humans, and identifying “reasonable uncertainties” that any climate scientist would agree with at the time.

Yet over 80 percent of Exxon’s editorial-style paid advertisements over the same period specifically focused on uncertainty and doubt, the study found.

The stark contrast between internally discussing cutting-edge climate research while externally conducting a climate disinformation campaign is enough to blow many minds. What was going on at Exxon

Did Exxon have an agenda for our research? Of course – it’s not a charity. Their research and development was targeted, and in my case, it was targeted at something that would raise no red flags in climate policy circles: quantifying the benefits of methane reduction.

Methane is a waste product released by coal mining and natural gas leaks; wastewater treatment plants; farting and belching cows, sheep, goats and anything else that chews its cud; decaying organic trash in garbage dumps; giant termite mounds in Africa; and even, in vanishingly small amounts, our own lactose-intolerant family members.

On a mass basis, methane absorbs about 35 times more of the Earth’s heat than carbon dioxide. Methane has a much shorter lifetime than carbon dioxide gas, and we produce a lot less of it, so there’s no escaping the fact that carbon has to go. But if our concern is how fast the Earth is warming, we can get a big bang for our buck by cutting methane emissions as soon as possible, while continuing to wean ourselves off carbon-based fuels long-term.

For the gas and oil industry, reducing methane emissions means saving energy. So it’s no surprise that, during my research, I didn’t experience any heavy-handed guidance or interference with my results. No one asked to review my code or suggested ways to “adjust” my findings. The only requirement was that a journal article with an Exxon co-author pass an internal review before it could be submitted for peer review, a policy similar to that of many federal agencies.

Did I know what else they were up to at the time? I couldn’t even imagine it.

Fresh out of Canada, I was unaware that there were people who didn’t accept climate science – so unaware, in fact, that it was nearly half a year before I realized I’d married one – let alone that Exxon was funding a disinformation campaign at the very same time it was supporting my research on the most expedient ways to reduce the impact of humans on climate

Yet Exxon’s choices have contributed directly to the situation we are in today, a situation that in many ways seems unreal: one where many elected representatives oppose climate action, while China leads the U.S. in wind energy, solar power, economic investment in clean energy and even the existence of a national cap and trade policy similar to the ill-fated Waxman-Markey bill of 2009

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General