Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: U.S. Politics

13 Jan 2018 14:44

Non-sequitur.

Trump, the self-centered fool, is trolling everyone *and hard* to tear down the establishment. Just like he said he would. He just doesn't come at you straight on as you would expect. And despite appearing brittle and reactionary, he just doesn't care as long as it furthers his agenda. Is he smart? Lots of ways to define that. Most of them, no. Is he wise? Hahahaha! Is he winning? By every measure, yes.

I do think he has a vision of what the world should be and he's going for it full throttle. It's completely anti-establishment but is willing to use it to get what he wants. And that's why the establishment is destroying itself to get rid of him.

Check this out: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/48572.htm

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

13 Jan 2018 14:48

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-lawyer-arranged-130-000-payment-for-adult-film-stars-silence-1515787678?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1
It's true - classic Trump move.
After the agreement, Ms. Clifford’s camp complained the payment wasn’t being made quickly enough and threatened to cancel the deal, some of the people familiar with the matter said.

GENIUS...3 years left for donnie to put his foot into his mouth...

scottsocal, blutto and semperfi must be cringing to see all this trump bashing and they can't 'respond'..too bad, soo sad..

It's cute that they're still in your head.

PS. You might want to pay attention to a certain indictment that was unsealed yesterday. If you join the dots, you might find that the future looks very . . . interesting . . . for some people that ought to be on the radar of anyone trying to follow US politics.
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

Re:

13 Jan 2018 15:06

djpbaltimore wrote:Even Piers Morgan thinks that Trump should apologize for his comments.

One thing being lost amid all the Trump- implosion is this comment from his WSJ interview.
Mr. Trump: Just — and so — so I was successful, successful, successful. I was always the best athlete, people don't know that. But I was successful at everything I ever did and then I run for president, first time — first time, not three times, not six times. I ran for president first time and lo and behold, I win.
He is reaching the age where he will start bragging about scoring 4 touchdowns in a high school football game. Too bad about those bone spurs.....

PS. Bush approved the UK embassy move, not Obama.

Pretty sure I recall he ran for president in 2000...

Simply delusional, as is anyone who sees him as anything but a lying con artist.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 15:09

ScienceIsCool wrote:

Non-sequitur.

Trump, the self-centered fool, is trolling everyone *and hard* to tear down the establishment. Just like he said he would. He just doesn't come at you straight on as you would expect. And despite appearing brittle and reactionary, he just doesn't care as long as it furthers his agenda. Is he smart? Lots of ways to define that. Most of them, no. Is he wise? Hahahaha! Is he winning? By every measure, yes.

I do think he has a vision of what the world should be and he's going for it full throttle. It's completely anti-establishment but is willing to use it to get what he wants. And that's why the establishment is destroying itself to get rid of him.

John Swanson

Except he isn't 'tearing down the establishment' in any way whatsoever. So far he's just done everything an establishment Republican would do: huge irresponsible tax cuts, pro-israeli foreign policy, hawkish on China and NK, anti-immigration and anti-obamacare. Trump's biggest success has been to persuade everyone, from the GOP to CNN, from a miner in West Virginia to a tech mogul in California, that he's anti-establishment (whatever that may be). Someone who's a multi-billionaire, been forever close with the very top in both the economic and political world, donating to any party he can sway to his favour and whose policies (bar a more pro-russia stance and a generally more extreme lean to the right) are intrinsically, well, just conservative. Steve Bannon was the heart of any anti-establishment sentiment Trump had, and he's seemingly long gone. He's scared the liberal 'left' who are in a perpetual state of anger but the way the right have willingly fallen into line just shows that he really isn't all that different. I also doubt he has a specific agenda because of the way his mind and platform has changed over the past couple of years; his advisors have tight hold on all his actions I think. From what you've wirtten I guess you also subscribe to the great man theory.

Oh, and I don't see how he is winning. A couple of foreign policy actions and one or two major pieces of legislation going through (despite controlling both houses), while alienating the rest of the world (who view the usa as less and less important) isn't quite Roosevelt's 100 days.
Brullnux
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 15:12

ScienceIsCool wrote:

Non-sequitur.

John Swanson

It’s not a non sequitur. I get that some people are impressed by instrumental language. A little fascist in everyone?
If the purveyors of your facts aren’t credible, your beliefs aren’t credible.

Really? What’s he winning? Are you winning by calling him a winner?
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2018 16:48

oldcrank wrote:
jmdirt wrote:The self proclaimed genius called Africa (+others) a sh*thole. Yep, DT is a top shelf genius!

I've never been to Haiti, but every country I've been to in Africa has had
sh#t-holes. Ask the Froome-dawg, he's probably used a few in his time. :surprised:
https://kaylabrisbin.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/african-toilet.jpg

I've been to all but a few states in the USA and can take you to a sh*thole in each of them so is the USA a sh*thole country? I drove through two such holes on my holiday road trip.
jmdirt

13 Jan 2018 17:48

jmdirt wrote:
oldcrank wrote:
jmdirt wrote:The self proclaimed genius called Africa (+others) a sh*thole. Yep, DT is a top shelf genius!

I've never been to Haiti, but every country I've been to in Africa has had
sh#t-holes. Ask the Froome-dawg, he's probably used a few in his time. :surprised:
https://kaylabrisbin.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/african-toilet.jpg

I've been to all but a few states in the USA and can take you to a sh*thole in each of them so is the USA a sh*thole country? I drove through two such holes on my holiday road trip.

You would know much better than I, my friend, and from your experience it does seem that it is. :)
User avatar oldcrank

13 Jan 2018 19:04

aphronesis wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

Non-sequitur.

John Swanson

It’s not a non sequitur. I get that some people are impressed by instrumental language. A little fascist in everyone?

He's execrable. A human piece of toxic waste. We're supposed to hate him. Meanwhile, North and South Korea are talking, and unbeknownst to most, there's a plan to re-integrate North Korea by extending the OBR initiative through the peninsula. When was the last time there was any movement on North Korea??? Besides all the bombast, Trump has flat out said that he could work with Kim, and that they'd probably get along. How is that not winning!? What did Bush or Obama do that comes close to that achievement?

He's a billionaire and an insider, so yeah. He's going to screw with the economy to make his friends richer. And a whole bunch of other non-progressive crap.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the system is failing and the American empire will come to an end, probably soon. That could easily end with a nuclear war. I'd rather have the orange fuzz ball piss everyone off, but steer things towards a softer landing. That means resolving Korea, Palestine, and holding off the establishment long enough that America can join Russia/China in an integrated Europe-Asia rather than dying while trying to defeat it.

Throughout all the juvenile poo slinging, this is what he's been consistent about in his messaging. I believe these are his actual goals, and I think he's willing to kill some sacred cows and get people riled up to achieve that.

It's kind of like Lance and Johan deciding they might as well win. They're human pieces of filth, but I'm not sure I'd bet against them either.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

13 Jan 2018 19:52

If I lived in Trump's world, I'd say that a sh!-ty president was elected in a sh!-thole of a democracy, considering the very fact that it elected such a sh!-ty commander in chief. I don't have the luxury, however, of not being able to consider the words that come out of my mouth. In this sense Trump's at a distinct advantage, because in his world such utterances are applauded as "spontaneous," appreciated as being "unhypocritical." That's because one isn't burdened with the millions of concerns that trouble others, who, by contrast, impose upon themselves the fatigue of thought and a careful weighing of words. It isn't merely out of respect for others (which actually counts for something, or should), but first and foremost out of repect for ourselves. Deep down, I guess it's actually an advantage to us. It's a bulwark, an antidote, a refuge from human misery. Not to talk like Trump, think like Trump, behave like Trump might seem like the bare minimum. But Trump isn't just anyone. He's the President of the USA. I don't know if that sinks in.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 20:02

ScienceIsCool wrote:
aphronesis wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

Non-sequitur.

John Swanson

He's execrable. A human piece of toxic waste. We're supposed to hate him. Meanwhile, North and South Korea are talking, and unbeknownst to most, there's a plan to re-integrate North Korea by extending the OBR initiative through the peninsula. When was the last time there was any movement on North Korea??? Besides all the bombast, Trump has flat out said that he could work with Kim, and that they'd probably get along. How is that not winning!? What did Bush or Obama do that comes close to that achievement?

He's a billionaire and an insider, so yeah. He's going to screw with the economy to make his friends richer. And a whole bunch of other non-progressive crap.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the system is failing and the American empire will come to an end, probably soon. That could easily end with a nuclear war. I'd rather have the orange fuzz ball piss everyone off, but steer things towards a softer landing. That means resolving Korea, Palestine, and holding off the establishment long enough that America can join Russia/China in an integrated Europe-Asia rather than dying while trying to defeat it.

Throughout all the juvenile poo slinging, this is what he's been consistent about in his messaging. I believe these are his actual goals, and I think he's willing to kill some sacred cows and get people riled up to achieve that.

It's kind of like Lance and Johan deciding they might as well win. They're human pieces of filth, but I'm not sure I'd bet against them either.

John Swanson

Oh the drama! System is failing? Here I’ve been singing the praises of US democracy. Please tell me more.

US Chinese integration will happen financially, but that news doesn’t play in the Heartland. You understand that yes?
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 20:23

Aphro... or blutto ---- zero difference. lol.
Anyway, the US clown isn't even fun.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 20:40

aphronesis wrote:Oh the drama! System is failing? Here I’ve been singing the praises of US democracy. Please tell me more.

US Chinese integration will happen financially, but that news doesn’t play in the Heartland. You understand that yes?

Gross national debt of 19.8 TRILLION dollars, just as the dollar is being dumped as a fiat currency...

Oh man, where to start! Socially, you have guns and more guns with a carcereal state, no social safety net, horrible health care, plummeting education, crumbling infrastructure. And so on, and so on.

In what way is the US ascendant or even staying pace? Just today I read about how criminals in California can pay ~$100/day to stay in nicer jails. Let that sink in.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

Re:

13 Jan 2018 20:53

Dazed and Confused wrote:Aphro... or blutto ---- zero difference. lol.

I have arguably more skin in the game than Blutto.

Thanks for the lecture John, when you want to discuss something. Carceral state you say. News to me. I thought Scott DJ and I discussed that over the years, but I probably imagined it. How about another chest thumping big man, bold moves history lesson?

There are guns in the US? Can I buy one? Problems with health care? Where have I been? I heard the Canadians even know the capital cities of US states. I almost memorized them once I got to college.

Hear the one about CA prisoners fighting wildfires?
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 21:00

aphronesis wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:Aphro... or blutto ---- zero difference. lol.

I have arguably more skin in the game than Blutto.

Thanks for the lecture John, when you want to discuss something. Carceral state you say. News to me. I thought Scott DJ and I discussed that over the years, but I probably imagined it. How about another chest thumping big man, bold moves history lesson?

There are guns in the US? Can I buy one? Problems with health care? Where have I been? I heard the Canadians even know the capital cities of US states. I almost memorized them once I got to college.

Hear the one about CA prisoners fighting wildfires?

Not sure.
Most of the stuff seems to be rebuke.

As a whole the quality hasn't changed.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 21:04

Well actually, I’d say I post about 75% links. As that goes B and I read overlapping material.

Re. rebukes: North American politics is at an infantilized and hyperbolic low. If I read or hear things perpetuating that, I tend to disagree. Sorry.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

13 Jan 2018 21:10

aphronesis wrote:Well actually, I’d say I post about 75% links. As that goes B and I read overlapping material.

Re. rebukes: North American politics is at an infantilized and hyperbolic low. If I read or hear things perpetuating that, I tend to disagree. Sorry.

¨
Like I said .... no diff. But moving forward perhaps the post should involve a bit of "personal opinion ". Just a thought.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 21:14

With the links? I don’t think so. If anyone cares about any of them enough to discuss, fine. I’m not going to editorialize beforehand.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

13 Jan 2018 21:17

aphronesis wrote:With the links? I don’t think so. If anyone cares about any of them enough to discuss, fine. I’m not going to editorialize beforehand.

well, if the the link is just shite why bother...
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

13 Jan 2018 21:20

Interesting perception of the North Korea situation going on here. So Trumps bluster has forced the Koreans to hit the table has it?

So nothing at all to do with Kim's ability to develop and test nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles then? Which, by the way, are more about having a bargaining chip and forcing talks than anything else. Looks to me like Kim has played the blinder and Trumps is left frothing and then claiming that the Norks and Southerners get together is his doing.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

13 Jan 2018 21:24

Dazed and Confused wrote:
aphronesis wrote:With the links? I don’t think so. If anyone cares about any of them enough to discuss, fine. I’m not going to editorialize beforehand.

well, if the the link is just shite why bother...

Hey if you disagree brother that’s your right. I’m not going to waste time trying to convince you otherwise.
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General