Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

20 Jan 2018 15:47

Since the government is 'shut down' we shouldn't be paying those who are responsible for mismanaging it.

Make no mistake though, even though gov spending is stopped, dt and many other politicians will be flying to nice vacation spots spending gov money this weekend.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,611
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

20 Jan 2018 15:54

All this political horseschit doesn't really need to happen at all..bills can be drafted more narrowly, about specific issues..an immigration bill doesn't need hiway or defense components..a DACA bill doesn't need to include border walls or personnel..it simply is puffed up for political gain..
We got a tax law that had oil drilling provisions...wtf ..w Florida given a VIP omission from the list as a political favor..
Government doesn't need to be a crazy mashup..w DJ Donald at the controls we are doomed for years of his crazy ideas and decades out to repair the damage he is leveling on the taxpayers
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

20 Jan 2018 18:12

Unchained wrote:All this political horseschit doesn't really need to happen at all..bills can be drafted more narrowly, about specific issues..an immigration bill doesn't need hiway or defense components..a DACA bill doesn't need to include border walls or personnel..it simply is puffed up for political gain..
We got a tax law that had oil drilling provisions...wtf ..w Florida given a VIP omission from the list as a political favor..
Government doesn't need to be a crazy mashup..w DJ Donald at the controls we are doomed for years of his crazy ideas and decades out to repair the damage he is leveling on the taxpayers

I can't count the number of times that I have said that: a bill should be about the matter at hand and not have multiple 'riders'. I know they use the riders as a political chip to get certain people on board, but that is BS, which is to say politics. Please don't see this as defending dt, but this type of politics has nothing to do with him, he just amplifies it. A few years ago we had a state medicaid bill that got, water management, wolf management, and nuke waste tagged on.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,611
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

20 Jan 2018 20:30

djpbaltimore wrote:People abroad (and/or their bots) are masquerading as MAGA red hats, fanning these stories.

https://twitter.com/cerebralv0rtex/status/954354636105879553

As soon as Evangelical christians as a whole gave up on morals in exchange for political quid pro quo, Trump (or someone like him) became a more likely scenario. That was the biggest shift that led to Trump IMO. Imagine if Obama had been caught paying hush money through a Delaware based LLC to a porn star. Or allegedly engaging in casting couch behavior with some women who wanted to get on the Apprentice. But no one cares about Trump because they know what he is... and don't care. Abortion is genocide y'all....

Dems have some blame in losing rural voters, too. But some of that was because keeping them would require the party to be GOP-lite on social issues.


https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/01/19/remember-democrats-are-awful-too/
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,771
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

21 Jan 2018 01:07

Levine is all over the place about Russia, but I can't really disagree with the rest.
President Trump: "We are going to take a strong look at our country's libel laws ... You can't say things that are false, knowingly false, and be able to smile as money pours into your bank account."
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,981
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re:

21 Jan 2018 13:29

Unchained wrote:All this political horseschit doesn't really need to happen at all..bills can be drafted more narrowly, about specific issues..an immigration bill doesn't need hiway or defense components..a DACA bill doesn't need to include border walls or personnel..it simply is puffed up for political gain..
We got a tax law that had oil drilling provisions...wtf ..w Florida given a VIP omission from the list as a political favor..
Government doesn't need to be a crazy mashup..w DJ Donald at the controls we are doomed for years of his crazy ideas and decades out to repair the damage he is leveling on the taxpayers


Of course..and now this..good thing this butt-nugget doesn't make the rules for congress.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/us-government-shutdown-latest-donald-trump-nuclear-option-51-percent-senate-a8170626.html

Yup, clean bills..DACA, CHIP, Gov't funding/budget, immigration..and donnie the dope wants to increase earmarks..dope
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,223
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: U.S. Politics

21 Jan 2018 13:33

President Obama commented eloquently on this while he was campaigning for Hillary Clinton:

In the last two days, they had so little confidence in his self-control they said we are just going to take away your Twitter. Now, if somebody can't handle a Twitter account, they can't handle the nuclear codes.

If somebody starts tweeting at three in the morning because SNL made fun of you, then you can't handle the nuclear codes.


no kidding..like the pic of trump at his desk, with phone in hand(probably nobody on the other end) with his hat on..no time to do his hair, I guess...I guess he can't do his hair, watch FAUX news and negotiate at the same time..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,223
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA


21 Jan 2018 17:16

I have said many times here that the outdoors is a cause I feel strongly about.. Trump's inclusion of drilling plans in the recently passed tax law was not a stunner. The discovered detail that Florida was given exceptional treatment and put on a no-drill list was part for his current crooked course.. drilling in ultra remote virgin Alaskan wilderness is a risk he is willing to take, knowing that a disaster response would be a undertaking of enormity he can't handle.
Now our national parks are in danger with an advisory board mass resignation, not because the secretary of the interior was just another rude boy Trump installed.. instead the members resigned because during the first year.. zero was done or proposed to be done for our parks.. Trump did have some park action but it was for mining and drilling to be opened up in sensitive areas..
Our beautiful lands are in grave danger from a clod that considers a golf course to be open space..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

21 Jan 2018 22:50

Unchained wrote:I have said many times here that the outdoors is a cause I feel strongly about.. Trump's inclusion of drilling plans in the recently passed tax law was not a stunner. The discovered detail that Florida was given exceptional treatment and put on a no-drill list was part for his current crooked course.. drilling in ultra remote virgin Alaskan wilderness is a risk he is willing to take, knowing that a disaster response would be a undertaking of enormity he can't handle.
Now our national parks are in danger with an advisory board mass resignation, not because the secretary of the interior was just another rude boy Trump installed.. instead the members resigned because during the first year.. zero was done or proposed to be done for our parks.. Trump did have some park action but it was for mining and drilling to be opened up in sensitive areas..
Our beautiful lands are in grave danger from a clod that considers a golf course to be open space..



https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/21/public-land-battle-private-landowners-montana?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

golf courses and their construction make money. sometimes. for some involved.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,771
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

22 Jan 2018 03:03

Pence is a lying sack of sh8t! Granted he's not like his boss who lies about nearly everything, mp is a more typical lying politician. To blame Ds for messing with troops pay is BS on two fronts: the blame is on all of the worthless PoS in DC, and the troops get paid at the end of the month, their pay has not been affected.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,611
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

22 Jan 2018 03:12

macbindle wrote:I see the UK's own sh1tbag populist opportunist lying dog-whistler, Nigel Farage, is suspected of handing data to Assange...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/19/trump-russia-probe-told-nigel-farage-may-have-handed-thumb-drive/

thought you were going to say Piers Morgan
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,733
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

22 Jan 2018 03:13

Now we have established that Trump says he will sign anything in front of him only to go full schizo and change his mind..yes statute of liberty, child health care, border walls, trips to Switzerland, immigration reform and military pay all belong on the same plate.. golf anyone? Nothing says your serious about your job like spending @34% not doing it..
Divide the legislation.. troop payroll.. separate proposal.. child health care.. separate.. immigration reform.. again separate.. this guy is in office for a year and has discussed using nuclear option in Korea, Syria and Congress.. twice..we should be worried
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

22 Jan 2018 05:53

Unchained wrote:I have said many times here that the outdoors is a cause I feel strongly about.. Trump's inclusion of drilling plans in the recently passed tax law was not a stunner. The discovered detail that Florida was given exceptional treatment and put on a no-drill list was part for his current crooked course.. drilling in ultra remote virgin Alaskan wilderness is a risk he is willing to take, knowing that a disaster response would be a undertaking of enormity he can't handle.
Now our national parks are in danger with an advisory board mass resignation, not because the secretary of the interior was just another rude boy Trump installed.. instead the members resigned because during the first year.. zero was done or proposed to be done for our parks.. Trump did have some park action but it was for mining and drilling to be opened up in sensitive areas..
Our beautiful lands are in grave danger from a clod that considers a golf course to be open space..


https://www.axios.com/scoop-trump-turns-on-interior-secretary-ryan-zinke-1516568558-cdd694e1-2a04-4de2-87db-450361dda65f.html
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

22 Jan 2018 07:10

So Little Richie Rich has driven daddy's Rolls into the ditch. Are there any adults in the White House?
Salbutamol - Breakfast of Champions!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"
Choco Loco for all your doping tips!
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,413
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re: Re:

22 Jan 2018 13:39

aphronesis wrote:
Unchained wrote:I have said many times here that the outdoors is a cause I feel strongly about.. Trump's inclusion of drilling plans in the recently passed tax law was not a stunner. The discovered detail that Florida was given exceptional treatment and put on a no-drill list was part for his current crooked course.. drilling in ultra remote virgin Alaskan wilderness is a risk he is willing to take, knowing that a disaster response would be a undertaking of enormity he can't handle.
Now our national parks are in danger with an advisory board mass resignation, not because the secretary of the interior was just another rude boy Trump installed.. instead the members resigned because during the first year.. zero was done or proposed to be done for our parks.. Trump did have some park action but it was for mining and drilling to be opened up in sensitive areas..
Our beautiful lands are in grave danger from a clod that considers a golf course to be open space..



https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/21/public-land-battle-private-landowners-montana?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

golf courses and their construction make money. sometimes. for some involved.


But again, let’s not get all worked up saying this is a Trump thing

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a4be49de4b0df0de8b06d88
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,771
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

22 Jan 2018 18:17

Interesting that the Dem Senators with the greatest 2020 aspirations voted against ending the shutdown.
Senate Dems voting against this deal to reopen govt w/o protections for DREAMers: Blumenthal, Booker, Cortez-Masto, Feinstein, Gillibrand, Harris, Hirono, Leahy, Menendez, Merkley, Murphy, Sanders, Tester, Warren, Wyden
Notably absent from this group: Sherrod Brown, Tim Kaine, and Amy Klobuchar.
President Trump: "We are going to take a strong look at our country's libel laws ... You can't say things that are false, knowingly false, and be able to smile as money pours into your bank account."
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,981
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

22 Jan 2018 23:05

Image
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,579
Joined: 06 Oct 2009 16:50

Re:

23 Jan 2018 12:56

jmdirt wrote:Pence is a lying sack of sh8t! Granted he's not like his boss who lies about nearly everything, mp is a more typical lying politician. To blame Ds for messing with troops pay is BS on two fronts: the blame is on all of the worthless PoS in DC, and the troops get paid at the end of the month, their pay has not been affected.


pence is an empty suit..he's donnie's springer spaniel. He has no brain of his own and doesn't realize that his political future is ending when donnie leaves office.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,223
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re:

23 Jan 2018 13:00

djpbaltimore wrote:Interesting that the Dem Senators with the greatest 2020 aspirations voted against ending the shutdown.
Senate Dems voting against this deal to reopen govt w/o protections for DREAMers: Blumenthal, Booker, Cortez-Masto, Feinstein, Gillibrand, Harris, Hirono, Leahy, Menendez, Merkley, Murphy, Sanders, Tester, Warren, Wyden
Notably absent from this group: Sherrod Brown, Tim Kaine, and Amy Klobuchar.


All true but the midterms, in states that have big hispanic populations, will vote against the GOP candidates that view "dreamers' as 'illegals' and decry 'amnesty'.....and these guys know it.

It's all about turnout..big turnout=dems in office.

All this drama..and the government is funded for 3 weeks...and then page 2..as the GOP stonewalls the dreamers to get donnie's silly wall..only one person thinks the 'wall' will make any difference and that's the idiot at 1600 Penn Ave.
Last edited by Bustedknuckle on 23 Jan 2018 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,223
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], ScienceIsCool and 12 guests

Back to top