Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

14 Sep 2017 19:24

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Just so you all know, I have essentially been fired as a mod. Please do not reach out to me, or expect me to help resolve anything else on this board, especially this thread, where I felt I put a lot of effort into keeping things civil. But apparently others did not feel the same way.

BS.

I know you don't need me chiming in on your behalf but I will. Your attitude and attention to this thread and the General threads was what makes this place worth a dammm in my opinion.
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

14 Sep 2017 20:16

Thanks Glenn, Blutto. I thought I was doing an okay job, certainly in this forum, which has to be one of the toughest to moderate, and the only one I was left really moderating. But others felt differently.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

14 Sep 2017 20:21

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Thanks Glenn, Blutto. I thought I was doing an okay job, certainly in this forum, which has to be one of the toughest to moderate, and the only one I was left really moderating. But others felt differently.

Really Alpe? I'm not going to go there.

Please post your comments on the topic of the thread...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

14 Sep 2017 20:36

As you wish.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

14 Sep 2017 23:17

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Just so you all know, I have essentially been fired as a mod. Please do not reach out to me, or expect me to help resolve anything else on this board, especially this thread, where I felt I put a lot of effort into keeping things civil. But apparently others did not feel the same way.

How 'bout those U.S. politics? And this bites, but you brought it on yourself, what with the reasonable way you moderated here. **** move by CN, but not surprising.
patricknd

Re: U.S. Politics

14 Sep 2017 23:19

...file under here we go again....

“Secret” documents, recently declassified by the Reagan presidential library, reveal senior White House officials reengaging a former CIA “proprietary,” The Asia Foundation, in “political action,” an intelligence term of art for influencing the actions of foreign governments.

The documents from 1982 came at a turning-point moment when the Reagan administration was revamping how the U.S. government endeavored to manipulate the internal affairs of governments around the world in the wake of scandals in the 1960s and 1970s involving the Central Intelligence Agency’s global covert operations.

Instead of continuing to rely heavily on the CIA, President Reagan and his national security team began offloading many of those “political action” responsibilities to “non-governmental organizations” (NGOs) that operated in a more overt fashion and received funding from other U.S. government agencies.

But secrecy was still required for the involvement of these NGOs in the U.S. government’s strategies to bend the political will of targeted countries. If the “political action” of these NGOs were known, many countries would object to their presence; thus, the “secret” classification of the 1982 White House memos that I recently obtained via a “mandatory declassification review” from the archivists at the Reagan presidential library in Simi Valley, California.

The newly declassified memos from the latter half of 1982 marked an ad hoc period of transition between the CIA scandals, which peaked in the 1970s, and the creation of more permanent institutions to carry out these semi-secretive functions, particularly the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), which was created in 1983

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/09/13/reagan-documents-shed-light-on-u-s-meddling/

Cheers
Last edited by blutto on 15 Sep 2017 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar blutto
Veteran

14 Sep 2017 23:22

....which may well have led to....

Interventionism Produced the 9/11 Attacks

One thing is certain about the U.S. mainstream media’s memorialization of the 9/11 attacks. They are not about to mention, much less emphasize, that the attacks were among the rotten fruits of U.S. interventionism, the foreign-policy philosophy that continues to hold the United States in its grip. Given the ongoing debacles of death, destruction, tyranny, torture, ISIS, and refugee crises arising from U.S interventionism in Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Syria, and Afghanistan, the last thing interventionists want Americans to focus on is that interventionism gave us 9/11 as well.

https://www.fff.org/2017/09/11/interventionism-produced-911-attacks/

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 00:41

This is disappointing to say the lllllleast. disturbing? What is going on behind the "disc brake curtain"?
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

Re:

15 Sep 2017 01:00

Bad decision. Not the first, won't be the last.

Welcome to normalville.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 01:52

blutto wrote:geez a power play on the CN Forums, kinda like fighting for 59th place in a Cat 5 sprint

Gotta admit it, Blutto, sometimes you really have a way with words.
Merckx index

15 Sep 2017 01:57

Yeah, getting sixtieth sucks, but it is what it is. Good excuse to spend less time here, and more time on the bike anyway.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

15 Sep 2017 02:57

That doesn't seem right.

And to keep on topic: posting a picture of shart stain is US politics? Symbolic of maybe, but come on.
jmdirt

15 Sep 2017 03:40

jmdirt wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

And to keep on topic: posting a picture of shart stain is US politics? Symbolic of maybe, but come on.

I think it's highly symbolic of where our politics and our system stand today. The comments posted alluded to the pic.

But it doesn't matter. If you were offended then I apologize. And I mean it.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

15 Sep 2017 03:42

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Yeah, getting sixtieth sucks, but it is what it is. Good excuse to spend less time here, and more time on the bike anyway.

Maybe more time. No mod constraints, no 'watch what you say.'

Maybe you'll get banned occasionally. :D
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 03:45

Scott SoCal wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

I think it's highly symbolic of where our politics and our system stand today. The comments posted alluded to the pic.

No apology needed, it wasn't my shart stain! :lol:
jmdirt

15 Sep 2017 03:53

jmdirt wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

No apology needed, it wasn't my shart stain! :lol:

We can all be thankful for that. :o
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 03:53

Scott SoCal wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

Hey, if you want to play the celebrity/ media game: live by the sword die by the sword. I'm sure lots of anonymous lurkers were scandalized, but it has nothing to do with being a woman. The longer she perpetuates her "right" to be in the public consciousness, the more inept and useless she appears.

What has she done? Been married to a former president. Got a Senate seat through party networks in a state where you can run anything on the downstate Dem ticket and get elected. Parlayed that into a failed Presumidential bid where the machinery didn't coalesce behind her. Got an SoS door prize for party unity. Ran the machinery against a party challenger, but neglected it where it counts.

What a leader. Blaming anything and everything while doing nothing.
aphronesis
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 10:47

Merckx index wrote:
blutto wrote:geez a power play on the CN Forums, kinda like fighting for 59th place in a Cat 5 sprint

Gotta admit it, Blutto, sometimes you really have a way with words.

:D ...yeah it happens...think infinite number of monkeys, infinite number of typewriters....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 10:51

....hmmm....why Korea, why now, answer below, maybe....

The fall of 2017 will witness the most brutal assault on working and middle class living standards since the end of World War II. Three presidents and their congressional allies will ‘revise’ labor legislation, progressive income tax laws and regulations and effectively end the mixed economy in France, the US and Brazil.

Throughout the summer, public opinion has been diverted by US threats to launch new overseas wars, France’s rhetoric about forming a post-Brexit, Berlin-Paris pact, which will remake the European Union, and Brazil’s President Michel Temer’s corruption and crime scandals.

These superficial controversies will be overwhelmed by fundamental class conflicts, which promise to alter the present and future structural relations within Western capitalism.

http://www.unz.com/jpetras/the-fall-offensive-the-us-france-and-brazil/

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 10:58

" Declining access to quality health care for workers and deterioration in workplace safety conditions will fuel the opioid addiction epidemic leading to hundreds of thousands more premature worker deaths by overdose, injury and inadequate, incompetent care."

A little hamfisted.

Do read this stuff. Or is it like the zerohedge report that had Amazon slashing "What Happened" from $30 to 17.95 (which they do w/almost all books), anything that flys?
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General