Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: U.S. Politics

11 Feb 2018 15:40

Bustedknuckle wrote:Just a recap of this slug of US president...He is such a liar..ya know, character does count.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/politics/donald-trump-abuse-claims-defense/index.html

AND Kim's sister take pence to the wall, shows what a slug donnie's spring spaniel is..

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/pences-anti-north-korea-pr-campaign-bombs.html

North and South talk..ignore this trump lapdog-weirdo, as they should.

He just seems so smarmy, even icky. I can't imagine a worse duo than we have now, both from a policy standpoint and a "face of our country" standpoint. There have been other administrations that I didn't agree with policy wise, but I wasn't completely embarrassed by them.

Like Aph said, we shouldn't focus on the distractions, but I can't help myself. I am (mostly) aware of the screwing we are getting behind the distractions though.

EDIT: I just saw unchained's post below so I'll respond here instead of making another post. Your tunnel assertion is dead on. Virtually no drugs cross over the ground where they are building the wall. Drugs come in via tunnel, water, air, and legal port of entry locations (~50). Fewer and fewer people cross in those areas as well. The wall is just a visual, a costly power decoration.
Last edited by jmdirt on 11 Feb 2018 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

11 Feb 2018 15:41

If you ever want to feel foolish.. I mean real deep shame as an American.
. look at the money you spent on prototype border wall designs erected here in San Diego..
when you look at the completely under engineering and incompetent design.. wait..then understand that the circus has spent more of your money to confirm that the design is sound and passed the " breach" test..

Who did the test? They got some guys from a holding cell and asked if they could scale the wall? WTF?
If we fund this crazy construction we are going to need to expect that a demolition fund should be established for the point in time when national embarrassment gets to be too much
If Trump's anti tunnel experts think that they will out perform the cartel tunnel rats.. we are dumber than I thought..

And for those in the know..all door locks, entry intercom panels and panic hardware and other emergency egress hardware used in NYC housing authority jobs is spec'd as "vandal proof".. another long running joke.
. I recall making bets on how many days after installation and sign off until the first service call..

A wall is a stupid attempt at a solution
Unchained

11 Feb 2018 16:16

Can I get work scaling proto walls? That sounds fun.

Talking to my father last night who winters in Mexico and he was working around to the conclusion that the Mexican trades are allowed as long as they follow the 70s Saud agreement of washing narco dollars through Wall Street.
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 16:49

Aphro funny but under Obama there was a term that never could get traction
..too big to jail..
HSBC and others cleaned the cartel cash.. but as the economy was rolling along Obama's folks from Holder and Lynch didn't think it prudent to punish the filthy banks.. the criminal punishment could have disruptive effect.. they paid billions in fines..a parking ticket for the money juggernaut.
Mexican officials beg the US for help curbing cash flow and guns flowing into Mexico..
Mexican government agencies see a magnetic pull.. America has an unbridled desire for drugs.. the cartels have a product that American bodies crave..24\7... like prostitution you have to go after both parties in the economy.. the buyers and supplier.. but maybe Trump is right.. if Mexico didn't make such yummy drugs America would enjoy a ginger ale at the mall instead..
Unchained

11 Feb 2018 16:54

Maybe a read on the Opium wars would be in order here.

American culture is built for that influx. Everytime Obama, Trump,etc. get up and say Americans believe, love, cherish, they’re talking about nothing.

HSBC is a bank among banks outside the big 5.
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 16:59

What's the state of the legalisation debate in the US?

Sometimes it's hard to ascertain the US zeigeist from outside because everything is fractured from state to state. It's still not on the table that matters in the UK, and that is due in part to the legacy of US policy. Just say no, kids.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

11 Feb 2018 17:04

aphronesis
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 17:10

Thanks.

What about the wider debate about drugs that are really fun...I mean really bad? Clearly, Trump isn't going to countenance it, but are other politicians talking?

It's been raised in Parliament over here, and in private many mps are coming round to the logic of legalisation of all narcotics. Its got some traction amongst the police too. It won't happen under May, however.
User avatar macbindle

11 Feb 2018 17:14

Are you kidding? No way. Once the neocons fought back even needle exchanges were off the table.

In terse terms, I’d say Brit, Euro, Canadian culture doesn’t politically pathologize those topics as the US has. It’s a different relation of/to neoliberalism.
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 17:30

Here in the west there is what looks like a wave to legalize marijuana.. so an enormous industry will be created outside the traditional credit and banking system.. I may look like a whimp but I think there is a setup for a Gun Smoke type of script playing out. the robbers ride into town and key in on the cash cows in town..
Maybe the government to split the difference and take in cash from local, legal business before tragedy.
It's weird to me that the banks are able to deposit mounds of money from people selling opioids.. they take the loot w a smile.. and complete government endorsement..
Unchained

11 Feb 2018 17:32

Ditto alcohol and, to a diminishing degree, tobacco.
User avatar macbindle

11 Feb 2018 17:52

None of this matters, it's all about financial thievery and nuclear bombs...until someone decides to "test the waters."
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 17:54

People still have to construct meaning in the interim. As you attest.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

11 Feb 2018 18:32

aphronesis wrote:Are you kidding? No way. Once the neocons fought back even needle exchanges were off the table.

In terse terms, I’d say Brit, Euro, Canadian culture doesn’t politically pathologize those topics as the US has. It’s a different relation of/to neoliberalism

It engenders the modern day 'banana republic'. War on drugs=projection of US military power= government of people's by other means
User avatar macbindle

12 Feb 2018 07:09

Reading David Cay Johnston's latest and I have to wonder if this is the completion of the "corporate coup d'etat" that Chris Hedges talked about.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

12 Feb 2018 16:30

User avatar macbindle

Re:

12 Feb 2018 17:46

A cyberwar!?!? Really?

All you've got is CrowdStrike declaring a "hack" of the DNC servers, which was shown to never have happened. Plus, "However, the FBI did not independently verify these findings because the DNC refused to give the FBI access to the server".

And then you have those "Russian Bots", which were of dubious origin and by any means Twitter themselves said the Tweets involved were low impact and were never trending.

Holy smokes... Can you imagine if an entire empire could actually be brought down by repeating #ReleaseTheMemo ? Freaking bizarre.

I mean, a cyberwar should be a bit more obvious than that, right? Like destroying some centrifuges or something. Heck, even all those voting machines would be a better strategic target than a thousand or so Tweets.

I read the entirety of that editorial for completeness and it was a horrible experience devoid of facts or reason.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

12 Feb 2018 17:54

"Twitter, meanwhile, offered a more lengthy reply, stressing that its “initial inquiry, based on available data, has not identified any significant activity connected to Russia with respect to tweets posting original content to this hashtag.” It also pointed to the fact that #ReleaseTheMemo had been spread by “several prominent, verified U.S. accounts” " - https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16955432/democrats-congress-adam-schiff-dianne-feinstein-russia-release-the-memo-bots-trolls

Straight from Twitter themselves: https://democrats-intelligence.house.gov/uploadedfiles/twitter_response_jan_26.pdf

Hahaha! That got spun as: Russian cyberwar on Americans using Americans in America who are obviously Russian Bots or something, but definitely not interested in a big political story.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

12 Feb 2018 21:07

User avatar macbindle

12 Feb 2018 21:32

I wouldn't necessarily put much faith in what twitter says about the presence of bots on their website. It is in their best economic interest to play up the angle that each 'handle' is an individual who can be responsive to ads and banners. And one of their rebuttals is answering an argument that nobody is putting forward. We know that real prominent people used the hashtags too, but getting something to trend can very easily be fanned through the use of bots. I think most experts are aware that Russia has done some real pioneering work in the cyber espionage realm. It isn't much of a stretch to see their DNC operation as another part of this strategy. The election of Trump *almost* got severe financial sanctions removed.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

PreviousNext

Return to General