Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Jun 2018 15:17

As for the continued drone of "socialized medicine doesn't work," that there are countless examples of it working and producing better results for a greater percentage of people, than our for-profit system, seems to always be absent from your empty denunciations. Health care is not well suited for market dynamics...because there are significant dynamics that make it immoral to apply market dynamics. Go fund me campaigns set up by children to help their mother pay for her cancer treatments may seem great to you, but it's actually appalling, and a sign of a morally bankrupt system.Open markets don't produce efficiency, they produce funnels for wealth that are extremely unbalanced, and devastating failures.
ChewbaccaDefense

12 Jun 2018 15:21

There has actually been more criticism from the right than I had expected. This could also be due somewhat to the G7 fiasco and people losing patience with supporting BSC policy positions that do random 180s on the whim of the POTUS.

Of course there have also been these gems.

Charlie Kirk @charliekirk11

Trump is finishing the Cold War

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama all made things much worse

Just this handshake alone merits a Nobel Peace prize

You are witnessing history courtesy of the greatest President of our lifetime: Donald Trump

#MAGA
FOX News host Jeanine Pirro on the Trump and North Korean Summit: "It is amazing, he is literally a man who has no fear. I'm convinced he'd walk in a den of lions and come out the winner."
Grifting hard for that SCOTUS nomination.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re: Re:

12 Jun 2018 15:23

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:

What's amusing is to see, for the billionth time, the hypocrisy of the right...when Obama suggested meeting with Jong-il, you guys lit up the airwaves with fake outrage at the idea of our president meeting with a dictator with no preconditions...well, from what we're seeing, there weren't any preconditions here either, and as is being pointed out, Trump is being played by Xi. Expertly.

Empty promises with no mechanism to enforce anything...best agreement ever, you'll see, nobody knows more about making empty agreements than Trump...add it to the list: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/nedxnm/24-things-nobody-does-better-than-trump-according-to-trump

What's equally amusing to see is the abandonment of diplomacy principles in order to continue the all-out attack on all things Trump.

Plenty of hypocrisy to go 'round.

As for the agreement, what do you think was possible? You think Don was going to go in a roll Kim and Kim would be ok getting rolled? You think there might be a few complexities here?

This is how diplomacy works and that's something that, until very recently, the left understood.

Yeah, contrast this "deal" with the Iran nuclear deal...you're championing a toothless, worthless, empty set of promises, that do nothing, mean nothing, and will produce nothing of substance...but you railed on and on about another deal that actually did move the needle...your hypocrisy is astounding...that wasn't "diplomacy," that was a f**king idiot, not knowing he was being played.

That's what you are hoping for.

On the other hand, this could be a beginning to a win-win. It also might amount to nothing. Either way it's worth a shot and better than the alternative.

But I understand your need for this to fail.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 15:24

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:@Busted,

I predict that somewhere along the way (maybe not even too far off), you're going to end up liking Trump on some level. It looks like there a lot of things going down (domestically and internationally) that aren't being reported in the same old corporate sources.

Not trolling you, either. Really think you're going to change your tune one day. Could be wrong, but that's my prediction.

As long as trump continues to demonstrate stupidity, boorishness, rudeness, ignorance, arrogance, sexism and racism, I will dislike him a LOT. Words matter, being polite and statesmanlike does NOT equal weakness. I've said many times before, we all want good economy, security, a rear fix to immigration, etc..things that we all agree on but trump should just STFU and stop being such a pri&k. His clown car act at the G6 is a perfect example. I am really tired of this 'trump being trump' BS. We are a laughing stock of most places in the world. The guy doesn't have to be an arsewhole surrounded by hingenecks and other arsewholes. guilianai comes to mind, pruitt, sessions, huckabee, the idiots at faux news, donnie's propaganda machine.

I guarantee you this isn’t true. People in many places in the world act like you do toward DJT, but, like you, they aren’t laughing.

If he didn't have access to the most advanced nuclear arsenal in the world, they'd be laughing...but an idiot with weapons is never something to laugh at...so, you're right...

Yep. I remember the Reagan years. Almost the same except the invective is much harsher this time.

If Reagan is your model, the long-term effects of his idiocy are still being felt today...so, uh...okay, if that's the card you have to play, play that motherf**ker...Best stay away from how Reagan's South and Central American interventions and policies completely f**ked the region in many ways, and led to the need for millions to seek a better life here, by jumping the border...you guys are a child with a hammer when it comes to "diplomacy." One need only look at the fact that John Bolton is rearing his Yosemite Sam white moustache, and droning on again about how killing motherf**kers is the best way to get what you want, to see just how idiotic your "diplomacy" is...
ChewbaccaDefense

12 Jun 2018 15:31

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:

What's amusing is to see, for the billionth time, the hypocrisy of the right...when Obama suggested meeting with Jong-il, you guys lit up the airwaves with fake outrage at the idea of our president meeting with a dictator with no preconditions...well, from what we're seeing, there weren't any preconditions here either, and as is being pointed out, Trump is being played by Xi. Expertly.

Empty promises with no mechanism to enforce anything...best agreement ever, you'll see, nobody knows more about making empty agreements than Trump...add it to the list: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/nedxnm/24-things-nobody-does-better-than-trump-according-to-trump

What's equally amusing to see is the abandonment of diplomacy principles in order to continue the all-out attack on all things Trump.

As for the agreement, what do you think was possible? You think Don was going to go in a roll Kim and Kim would be ok getting rolled? You think there might be a few complexities here?

This is how diplomacy works and that's something that, until very recently, the left understood.

Yeah, contrast this "deal" with the Iran nuclear deal...you're championing a toothless, worthless, empty set of promises, that do nothing, mean nothing, and will produce nothing of substance...but you railed on and on about another deal that actually did move the needle...your hypocrisy is astounding...that wasn't "diplomacy," that was a f**king idiot, not knowing he was being played.

On the other hand, this could be a beginning to a win-win. It also might amount to nothing. Either way it's worth a shot and better than the alternative.

That you think this is a win/fail dynamic, shows just how inept you are at understanding "diplomacy." I'm not playing your football game.
ChewbaccaDefense

Re:

12 Jun 2018 15:35

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:As for the continued drone of "socialized medicine doesn't work," that there are countless examples of it working and producing better results for a greater percentage of people, than our for-profit system, seems to always be absent from your empty denunciations. Health care is not well suited for market dynamics...because there are significant dynamics that make it immoral to apply market dynamics. Go fund me campaigns set up by children to help their mother pay for her cancer treatments may seem great to you, but it's actually appalling, and a sign of a morally bankrupt system.Open markets don't produce efficiency, they produce funnels for wealth that are extremely unbalanced, and devastating failures.

Open doesn't mean without regulation, just so we are clear. Assuming you know this then the highlighted is sophistry.

Socialized medicine for the most part is an elaborate game of three card monty. It will always have problems and those problems will always be tied to a lack of funding. It's how you guys do things.

Look at the VA. Look at public schools.

Look at our federal budget and look at the carve outs for mandatory spending. Better yet, I'll post it;

What this country really needs is yet another monumental, out-of-control entitlement.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 15:39

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:

That you think this is a win/fail dynamic, shows just how inept you are at understanding "diplomacy." I'm not playing your football game.

Like I said. You need this to fail. I get it. I think I mentioned win-win earlier. Maybe you missed it.

Brush up on your survival techniques otherwise you won't be around to implement the social utopia you yearn for.

https://www.secretsofsurvival.com/survival/nuclear_winter.html
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 15:43

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:As for the continued drone of "socialized medicine doesn't work," that there are countless examples of it working and producing better results for a greater percentage of people, than our for-profit system, seems to always be absent from your empty denunciations. Health care is not well suited for market dynamics...because there are significant dynamics that make it immoral to apply market dynamics. Go fund me campaigns set up by children to help their mother pay for her cancer treatments may seem great to you, but it's actually appalling, and a sign of a morally bankrupt system.Open markets don't produce efficiency, they produce funnels for wealth that are extremely unbalanced, and devastating failures.

Open doesn't mean without regulation, just so we are clear. Assuming you know this then the highlighted is sophistry.

Socialized medicine for the most part is an elaborate game of three card monty. It will always have problems and those problems will always be tied to a lack of funding. It's how you guys do things.

Look at our federal budget and look at the carve outs for mandatory spending. Better yet, I'll post it;

What this country really needs is yet another monumental, out-of-control entitlement.

We don't produce better results: https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/quality-u-s-healthcare-system-compare-countries/#item-use-emergency-department-place-regular-doctor-visits-common-u-s-comparable-countries
ChewbaccaDefense

12 Jun 2018 15:44

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:

If Reagan is your model, the long-term effects of his idiocy are still being felt today...so, uh...okay, if that's the card you have to play, play that motherf**ker...Best stay away from how Reagan's South and Central American interventions and policies completely f**ked the region in many ways, and led to the need for millions to seek a better life here, by jumping the border...you guys are a child with a hammer when it comes to "diplomacy." One need only look at the fact that John Bolton is rearing his Yosemite Sam white moustache, and droning on again about how killing motherf**kers is the best way to get what you want, to see just how idiotic your "diplomacy" is...

You've gone quite a ways in order to miss the point.

Best stay away from how Reagan's South and Central American interventions and policies completely f**ked the region in many ways, and led to the need for millions to seek a better life here, by jumping the border..

Wha, better or worse than Castro's utopia?

My diplomacy? What, would you feel better if we shipped Kim a few hundred billion before taking it up the a**? Or how about free up a handful of terrorists for a deserter?

Yeah, I'm fairly sure Trump can't do much worse. But we'll see.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 15:49

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

We don't produce better results: https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/quality-u-s-healthcare-system-compare-countries/#item-use-emergency-department-place-regular-doctor-visits-common-u-s-comparable-countries

I'm not real sure you studied your charts.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 16:11

President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) held a first, historic summit in Singapore on June 12, 2018.

President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un conducted a comprehensive, in-depth and sincere exchange of opinions on the issues related to the establishment of new US-DPRK relations and the building of a lasting and robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula. President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

Convinced that the establishment of new US-DPRK relations will contribute to the peace and prosperity of the Korean Peninsula and of the world, and recognizing that mutual confidence building can promote the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un state the following:

1. The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

2.The United States and DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

3.Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula

4. The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Having acknowledged that the US-DPRK summit -- the first in history -- was an epochal event of great significance in overcoming decades of tensions and hostilities between the two countries and for the opening up of a new future, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un commit to implement the stipulations in the joint statement fully and expeditiously. The United States and the DPRK commit to hold follow-on negotiations, led by the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, and a relevant high-level DPRK official, at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes of the US-DPRK summit.

President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have committed to cooperate for the development of new US-DPRK relations and for the promotion of peace, prosperity, and the security of the Korean Peninsula and of the world.

DONALD J. TRUMP
President of the United States of America

KIM JONG UN
Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

June 12, 2018
Sentosa Island
Singapore

Maybe it's a nothingBurger. Maybe not.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 16:17

Just weeks after passing a new tax on big businesses, Seattle political leaders signaled late Monday they would reverse course and repeal it.

Mayor Jenny Durkan and city council President Bruce Harrell said in statements that they would end the tax

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/391807-seattle-reverses-course-on-business-tax-after-amazon-pressure
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 16:21

Nothing says 'in depth' and 'comprehensive' like a half day meeting through interpreters that included a lunch and 'executive time'. Yet, those are probably more truthful than the 'sincere' part of that message.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

12 Jun 2018 16:25

djpbaltimore wrote:Nothing says 'in depth' and 'comprehensive' like a half day meeting through interpreters that included a lunch and 'executive time'. Yet, those are probably more truthful than the 'sincere' part of that message.

You realize Pompeo and his counterparts have been working on negotiations for months, right?
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 Jun 2018 16:25

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

I'm not real sure you studied your charts.

I'm not sure you did. We don't produce meaningful differences in terms of outcomes...yet we pay exponentially higher costs..so, uh...maybe you want to look at that again.

What the chart also doesn't show is the abysmal treatment of mental health issues in our country...you know, that issue you guys trot out when a mentally ill person kills kids in a classroom...

Treatment for mental health in our country is abysmal because most mentally ill people can't afford treatment...because (I'm pretty sure you've never made this connection), most people with serious mental health issues aren't super employable...so they're poor. And the poor in our country don't have access to much in the way of healthcare. And your solution (based on the people you vote for, and the legislation they pass) is to cut funding for mental health programs and treatment, and not offer them anything in the way of health insurance (in those states that refused to extend medicaid...I'll give you 3 guesses as to which party runs those states), so we instead pay massive amounts of money to house them in jails and prisons...because you guys will fund the f**k out of prisons...particularly if they're private.

Keep digging.
ChewbaccaDefense

12 Jun 2018 16:30

Scott SoCal wrote:
You do know there are a ton of healthcare providers that won’t take Medicare, right? Then what? Yep, you get to pay 15% more or change your provider. That’s awesome.

Scott, do you ever do even the tiniest bit of research before making these wild claims?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2013/06/11/what-to-do-if-your-doctor-wont-take-medicare/#7340b9e665cd

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2013/12/18/there-is-no-shortage-of-doctors-willing-take-medicare-patients/#3d629ce64816

https://www.healthmarkets.com/resources/medicare/why-you-should-choose-a-doctor-who-accepts-medicare/

The vast number of doctors—about 95%--do accept Medicare. Yes, there is a small % that don’t, and in some parts of the country it may be worse than others, but it’s not a issue for most people. Since I’ve gone on Medicare, I’ve seen several different doctors, and all of them accepted Medicare. I repeat, I find it to be a terrific system, and frankly, even if I had to pay 15% more across the board, I wouldn’t complain. That still makes it far cheaper than what I had before.

Bernie’s money savings? BS. Total and complete BS. I’ll let you work out why it’s BS

Maybe if you’d finally admit that there is no magic wand we can wave that will reduce health care costs dramatically, you’d understand that, yes, any health care system is going to cost a lot of money, and someone is going to have to pay for it. A single payer system no doubt will cost much more than Bernie’s optimistic estimates. It doesn’t follow that there’s a cheaper way to cover everyone.

Yes, if the government were a business, it would be a grossly inefficient one. News flash! It isn't a business. It has to care for some of the most expensive individuals in our system, because the free market has shown again and again and again it isn't interested in helping them if that cuts into profits.

Just weeks after passing a new tax on big businesses, Seattle political leaders signaled late Monday they would reverse course and repeal it.

Mayor Jenny Durkan and city council President Bruce Harrell said in statements that they would end the tax.

You keep posting that. Your point? That government can easily be bullied into submission by large corporations?

Maybe it's a nothingBurger. Maybe not.

I think that’s fair enough. We’ll have to wait. I give Trump credit just for meeting Kim, though as many have pointed out, this is just what Kim wanted to enhance his reputation as a world leader equal to others.

But two points:

1) When Obama was running for President a decade ago, and said he would be willing to meet with Kim, Hannity and co. fell all over themselves denouncing this, insisting that no President should meet Kim until he actually gave up his nuclear weapons. Now that Trump has done what Obama said he was willing to do, suddenly that crowd flips its position, and Trump is a hero. Yes, you’re allowed to change your views, but at least acknowledge that you have. Same with deficits, of course, and other issues as well.

2) Richard Nixon made some notable foreign policy achievements, particularly the visits to the Soviet Union and China, which were major steps in changing our relations with those countries. I think he deserves credit for that. It doesn’t change the fact, though, that he ran one of the most corrupt administrations in history, and that in the end, about 85% of the public—as close to a consensus that you will ever get in America—was glad to see him go.
Last edited by Merckx index on 12 Jun 2018 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Merckx index

12 Jun 2018 16:30

I'd also point you to a marker there that is illustrative of the problems the poor have in getting healthcare (that being the much higher usage of emergency rooms...wonder who pays for people who go to emergency rooms, and can't pay the bill?), but you aren't interested in looking at realty, you're too busy pushing an idea that has proven not to work...
ChewbaccaDefense

Re:

12 Jun 2018 16:32

Merckx index wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
You do know there are a ton of healthcare providers that won’t take Medicare, right? Then what? Yep, you get to pay 15% more or change your provider. That’s awesome.

Scott, do you ever do even the tiniest bit of research before making these wild claims?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2013/06/11/what-to-do-if-your-doctor-wont-take-medicare/#7340b9e665cd

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2013/12/18/there-is-no-shortage-of-doctors-willing-take-medicare-patients/#3d629ce64816

https://www.healthmarkets.com/resources/medicare/why-you-should-choose-a-doctor-who-accepts-medicare/

The vast number of doctor—about 95%--do accept Medicare. Yes, there is a small % that don’t, and in some parts of the country it may be worse than others, but it’s not a issue for most people. Since I’ve gone on Medicare, I’ve seen several different doctors, and all of them accepted Medicare. I repeat, I find it to be a terrific system, and frankly, even if I had to pay 15% more across the board, I wouldn’t complain. That still makes it far cheaper than what I had before.

Bernie’s money savings? BS. Total and complete BS. I’ll let you work out why it’s BS

Maybe if you’d finally admit that there is no magic wand we can wave that will reduce health care costs dramatically, you’d understand that, yes, any health care system is going to cost a lot of money, and someone is going to have to pay for it. A single payer system no doubt will cost much more than Bernie’s optimistic estimates. It doesn’t follow that there’s a cheaper way to cover everyone.

Yes, if the government were a business, it would be a grossly inefficient one. News flash! It isn't a business. It has to care for some of the most expensive individuals in our system, because the free market has shown again and again and again it isn't interested in helping them if that cuts into profits.

Mayor Jenny Durkan and city council President Bruce Harrell said in statements that they would end the tax.

You keep posting that. Your point? That government can easily be bullied into submission by large corporations?

We need to sticky that question at the top of every page.
ChewbaccaDefense

12 Jun 2018 16:35

...time for one of Scott's "Look, I know there are problems, but they'll be worse if we institute socialized healthcare," which is demonstrably false, and not backed by anything but Red Scare propaganda of a bygone era...
ChewbaccaDefense

12 Jun 2018 16:38

Scott SoCal wrote:
djpbaltimore wrote:Nothing says 'in depth' and 'comprehensive' like a half day meeting through interpreters that included a lunch and 'executive time'. Yet, those are probably more truthful than the 'sincere' part of that message.

You realize Pompeo and his counterparts have been working on negotiations for months, right?

That is a strange way of spelling Mike Pompeo.
President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un conducted a comprehensive, in-depth and sincere exchange of opinions on the issues related to the establishment of new US-DPRK relations and the building of a lasting and robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
djpbaltimore

PreviousNext

Return to General