Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: U.S. Politics

03 Jul 2018 11:53

putin, don the dope's other new best buddy(along with murdering Kim), is THRILLED about more discourse w/i NATO, caused by Herr Drumph...What's the definition of treason? Aiding and abetting your enemy?
ADHERING. Cleaving to, or joining; as, adhering to the enemies of the United States. 2. The constitution of the United States, art. 3, s 3, defines treason against the United States, to consist only in levying war against them or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.

and
American presidents have long complained about the lack of burden-sharing by NATO member countries, but Mr. Trump has taken that criticism much further, claiming that some of the United States’ closest allies are essentially deadbeats who have failed to pay debts to the organization, a fundamental misunderstanding of how it functions.

It's going to be interesting when we find out what putin has on drumph...must be spectacular...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/world/europe/trump-nato.html
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 11:56

More BS from the liar in chief...what a surprise..
At a recent rally, Trump said supporters should chant "continue building that wall!" But in the past year, the government has only replaced existing fence.

Gotta keep his deplorables revved up...
The same month, legislators passed a spending bill that included $1.6 billion in border barrier funding. That's the money Trump has touted at recent rallies as a "down payment" on his wall. But by law, the money can only be used for the construction or repair of existing fencing designs.

tricky things, facts..something herr drumph has a problem with..
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 12:13

Do ya suppose donnie is 'surprised' that his and kims little love-fest was all hat and no cattle?
Trump moves to block China Mobile’s U.S. entry on security concerns: The U.S. government has moved to block China Mobile from offering services to the U.S. telecommunications market, recommending its application be rejected because the firm posed national security risks. China Mobile is the world’s largest telecom carrier with 899 million subscribers. The FCC should deny the state-owned China Mobile’s 2011 application to offer telecommunication services between the United States and other countries, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration said in a statement posted on its website

"you can rest well tonight, North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat'...what complete BullShite...

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/north-korea-nuclear/564287/

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/latest-trump-claims-good-conversations-nk-56338272
Last edited by Bustedknuckle on 03 Jul 2018 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 12:37

Just in time for the midterms..add in a little latino internment camps, NO plan to reunite kids and moms and trade wars, and kim telling drumph to go farge himself..adios GOP House, maybe senate also..and trump can play golf full time..
President Donald Trump is now at full-scale war over trade policy with some of the Republican Party’s staunchest allies in big business, including executives at iconic American brands such as General Motors and Harley-Davidson who previously shied away from criticizing an often irascible president.
Trump’s approach has created a high-stakes showdown without recent political precedent: A Republican president betting that his populist approach to trade will thrill his working-class base and blow away any short-term economic fallout or reduced political support from the nation’s largest business organizations. His message to corporate America so far: I don’t care what you say, my base is with me.
On the other side, corporate titans and market analysts fear Trump is on the cusp of damaging the American economy — and that he will not recognize the failure of his approach until it’s too late.

So far, the White House reaction to all the corporate pressure has been anger and defiance, with absolutely no signal that the president will change course.
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 12:53

herr drumph and how his 'economic advisors' are as clueless as him.
President Trump thinks a new tax on imported cars will boost American auto production and bring back thousands of jobs.
He’s about the only one. As the Trump administration readies a report on imported cars that could be the pretext for new tariffs, economists and industry officials warn of soaring costs for car buyers, a drop in overall sales and a net loss of jobs. Trump said recently that if trading partners don’t agree to his demands, “I’m going to tax their cars coming into America, and that’s the big one.” Big blunder might be more likely.

The Ford (F) F-150 pickup, for instance, is one of the most “American” cars on the market—but its US/Canadian parts content is just 65%. (Manufacturers are required to disclose US and Canadian content combined, but not to break out each country.) So Trump could put a 20% import tariff on 35% of the value of an F-150. On an entry-level F-150 costing $27,705, that would be an added tax of $1,939. In the country-of-origin disclosures automakers are required to file with the government, a few models consist of more than 70% US/Canadian content. None is above 80%.

facts matter to everybody but this moron...
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 13:34

Many things I own are there because of form,fit and function. My computers, tablets and phones.. all have decals as to origin..dont know about the total parts content..My bicycles and motorcycles have very few if any American products..I own European made guns as well as American made weapons..when I needed a replacement part the one I ordered from europe..was at my door in @a week after an email order..the American company..had to make a follow up call@15 days after the order..called Chase bank..US company charged my credit card the morning after..Fizik sent me two name plaques for the one that fell off of my bike..free of charge..had it @10 days after my email..it came w a couple of stickers and a newsletter..
I own a Toyota and a Chevy..Yamaha and BMW I dont believe there are any US motorcycle manufac. that make any dual sport motorcycles (esp 1200cc models)
If we lean toward this do as I say BS..we will all suffer..most Trump products were made elsewhere until they started getting heat from the right..
Unchained

Re:

03 Jul 2018 16:07

aphronesis wrote:https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2018/07/02/adam-shatz/american-carnage/?utm_source=LRB+blog+email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180703+blog&utm_content=usca_nonsubs_blog

you read in lots of different places than I do and often your links will shed light outside my box. I always enjoy your sources but I disagree, sometimes strongly with some of the opinion. These last couple, the maximum wage..no way. and my why not involves responsibility, why are citizens so asleep as to morality? Take the" tax cut"..companies are doing stock buy backs and paying out dividends..helping themselves..no big increase in wages, no big expansions no long term big bet spending..more or less just pocketing the money. The wage numbers for CEO and average worker comparisons are immoral, a level of greed that we have seen in the US and it was ugly then and it still is..but very, very little outrage.
During lots of my post Trump election travel I have tried to listen..I think the two main places not to listen to are California and New York..they are really separate countries within the US..the people and the economies of both are waaay different than most of the country.
the writer from your latest link inserts Judaism. While growing up I was with Jews in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, they were my friends,classmates and teammates ..The only real difference at that time in my perception was where they attended "church". Then I did my NYC stint.and I will say in my opinion that being Jewish in NY is different.
Now we have this Trump -Kushner combo that baffles me completely . Trump sends a practicing Jew w no experience to negotiate middle east peace..the guy doesn't have baggage he has trailers full of bias..Her can't be any part of any peace process...like you don't use gas to put out a fire..the wrong guy for the job. But back to your latest link..the story touches on most groups..Latinos, Muslims but does really talk about the "Jewish Problem" hate crimes against Jewish people and their property are way up under Trump. Hate speech everywhere against Jews..way,way up under Trump.. There is an ugly huge wave of racism and anti-Semitic rising in this country like a title wave of hate. WE are talking about brown and black kids, we are talking about the people and countries Trump openly hates and has acted against..the court said that hate speech by Trump is not relative to current anything..so if the President says I hate Africa, Muslims ,Mexicans, ect..just ignore it.?
But when is the anti -Semitic everything going to be addressed by the liberal outraged public..social media surveys say its way up on there platforms...everywhere you go you see and hear it..other than NY and CA..
It's like a dirty secret.. it's rising all over the world and we need to break it out of the group of problems and talk about it ..if writers lump Jews in w Mexican border crossers or Jewish hate w the disdain for those from chithole countries it's going to be watered down so much and basically ignored ..
Trump types are everywhere..eastern, western Europe..everywhere Americans need to distinguish ourselves as really, really meaning never again...
This guy and the way he talks and acts are very dangerous ..our country is changing so fast and the change looks to be unnoticed...Cosmopolitan writers need to write from middle America and see if their language changes..any writer that includes the flip statement that America is obviously not the best country in the world lost 80-90% of America w or wo a ultra detailed explanation for the opinion..Jewish friend is probably just as quirky as... Do you have a black friend? Politically pretending that everyone in the US understands transgender, gay..or Jewish, immigrant . ect Writers need to act like NY, CA subjects are not mainstream..
Unchained

03 Jul 2018 16:47

At what point is it incumbent on US citizens to be more than docile consumers of goods and actually understand these subjects? What’s the accomplishment in being as bigoted as a rural Pole or Russian. Or German?

No one is asking anyone to become transgender or marry one.

I think a lot of this is oversstated. Last week some friends and I rode up to Niagra, passed through decent chunks of Trump country in North Jersey, Eastern PA and upstate NY nd spoke to lots of locals. One morning we were trying to get rolling out of the diner and someone was too long in the men’s bathroom so the waitress let me use the women’s. Context matters obviously but none of the good old boys or gals threw a fit. Most likely if both sides took their rhetoric down and tried to have an actual conversation, there would be some progress. These things are neither threatening their way of life nor changing the country for the worse.

The flip side of the writers’ cosmopolitanism though is to talk about the US variant of right wing reactionaryism. People can’t have it both ways: advocate for a government that erodes the social safety net and then complain when your own options are diminished and new options and voices are allowed equal rights in the newly privatized society. Some responsibility might be in order.

Same for the max wage, earn all you want; what you get to keep is another matter. That’s a social contract. Or go it alone.
aphronesis
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 18:47

Aphro my habit is to overstate..I"ll give you that and accept it..fair for sure. I have more racist speech than at any other time in my life. I hear it all over San Diego county..I listened to a guy w an audience in Scottsdale explain how "The Mexicans come here to work the system" each dude in his group chimed in w a an opinion to back him up..all w lots of pejorative digs at Mexicans..and blacks. At a place I stop at in Southern San Diego..the guy next to me said in a hushed tone as two black women walked into a long established sports bar.." I wonder if they know that they can't use their EBT card" afterward chuckling to himself..on my trip south from San Francisco,Laguna Seca(Monterey Penn) I listened to people giving a strange combo of backhanded compliments to Trump about what he is doing to illegal aliens..from the bottom of my heart...I am not soliciting any opinions it really is that easy to hear...
you and I may respectfully disagree about the wave of anti-Jewish everything around the world..I am reading about it..I have come across statements about "Jews" that I had never previously. Maybe the left leaners I listen to on NPR and the stuff I read is making this a self fufilling prophecy kind of thing..Maybe Facebook and Twitter falsely reported the increase maybe..? sure I will give you that..
I am not sure how to correctly describe or measure the social anger or increase in rudeness or racism....;.I just ...feel ...it is there....and yes people maybe just as bubbly and happy, gregarious post Trump as before...? you could be right maybe everybody is listening to John Lennon and would help their fellow man regardless or color or background..sure ..maybe.
Unchained

03 Jul 2018 19:07

No, I’m not saying everyone would help their fellow brown person. Racism and blame are there for sure. The anti-Semitism while up a bit is never going to get the traction that some liberals fear. And that shouldn’t be confused—as it often is—-with criticism of the Israeli state.

Racism in San Diego: I never
aphronesis
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 02:22

Teacher walks up to Pruitt in restaurant, tells him he's a disaster at EPA, and that he should resign before he does any more damage to the country. All respectfully. He leaves soon after.

http://integralpostmetaphysicalnonduality.blogspot.com/2018/07/teacher-confronts-pruitt-in-restaurant.html
Merckx index

04 Jul 2018 12:32

more on trump TV..donnie's intel source.
Trump believes that Harley-Davidson customers “are not happy” that the company feels it’s necessary to move some production abroad. As proof, the president pointed to last year’s sales numbers.

But that doesn’t make any sense. We’re supposed to believe Harley-Davidson customers learned about the company’s production decision last week and then made use of a time machine, adversely affecting sales last year, when the White House was touting the company.
Maybe the customers are so upset it caused a rift in the space-time continuum?
All joking aside, Trump’s whining about Harley-Davidson is more pitiful than funny. It was the White House’s trade agenda that ended up driving the company’s executives to make their decision in the first place. The fact that the president “treated them good” and “had them for lunch” isn’t as relevant as Trump would like to believe.

I love it when herr drumph goes unhinged on his own TV station/intel source. Open mouth, show what an idiot he is.
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 12:34

Ya think?? Maybe flip the translators..Vlad has something on Herr Drumph..
His planned meeting with Vladimir Putin later this summer appears to be friendlier. Trump, CNN reports, plans to meet with Putin one on one, with no advisers or staff.

“Without official note-takers or other witnesses,” CNN notes, “one-on-one meetings lack any official record, making it difficult afterward to determine whether agreements have been reached.” Huh, that’s weird. It’s almost as if Trump has some kind of secret relationship involving money or blackmail with Russia he wants to discuss without fear of being revealed to his own country!
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 13:00

Another forehead slapper from the Drumph clown car..emperor trimp, indeed.
As a meeting last August in the Oval Office to discuss sanctions on Venezuela was concluding, President Donald Trump turned to his top aides and asked an unsettling question: With a fast unraveling Venezuela threatening regional security, why can't the U.S. just simply invade the troubled country?

Then in September, on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, Trump discussed it again, this time at greater length, in a private dinner with leaders from four Latin American allies that included Santos, the same three people said and Politico reported in February.
The U.S. official said Trump was specifically briefed not to raise the issue and told it wouldn't play well, but the first thing the president said at the dinner was, "My staff told me not to say this." Trump then went around asking each leader if they were sure they didn't want a military solution, according to the official, who added that each leader told Trump in clear terms they were sure.

Even some of the staunchest U.S. allies were begrudgingly forced to side with Maduro in condemning Trump's saber rattling. Santos, a big backer of U.S. attempts to isolate Maduro, said an invasion would have zero support in the region. The Mercosur trade bloc, which includes Brazil and Argentina, issued a statement saying "the only acceptable means of promoting democracy are dialogue and diplomacy" and repudiating "any option that implies the use of force."

"My" military," "my generals"..what an idiot.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/trump-pressed-aides-about-venezuela-invasion-official-tells-ap-n888816
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 13:05

yet, donnie says he believes putin, not his own intel..of course trump TV/trump's intel source, Faux news, believes putin too.
Further evidence has been found to support three US intelligence agencies' conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 election, the Republican-controlled Senate intelligence committee said.

According to a report released on Tuesday, the committee found "further details" that had "come to light" showing the Kremlin attempted to discredit Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and support Donald Trump.

It added: "The Committee found that the ICA [intelligence community assessment) provided intelligence and open source reporting to support this assessment, and information obtained subsequent to publication of the ICA provides further support."

White House spokesman Hogan Gidley, asked by reporters on Tuesday about the Senate panel's report while travelling with Mr Trump on Air Force One to West Virginia, said: "The president has been very clear and has said it many times that he feels the Russians meddled in the election."

yet
The Kremlin denies meddling and Mr Trump denies collusion. On 28 June, Mr Trump said on Twitter that "Russia continues to say they had nothing to do with Meddling on Our Election!"

stupid shite...
Veteran

Re:

04 Jul 2018 17:36

aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/07/03/ecology-the-keystone-science/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/07/04/trump-obama-and-the-nature-of-fascism/

Both are good articles.. to the last one..I saw a good protest sign it read " Felons not Families"..I listened to a short interview with former female ICE director (?)..she said that the public at large would be surprised at just how little money $@6.1 billion dollars is for the agency.. she also said that no part of any existing system is prepared to handle mass anything on misdemeanors.. pursing prosecution w a zero tolerance overlay will break everything..courts, police,prisons.. everything will clog up..

Many years ago I read an article about shoes.. how they are made and w a bit of emphasis on the tanning of leather... there were some unAmerican basic principles that since may or may not have already changed under Trump.. water and air pollution.. employee risk and exposure to lots of dangerous circumstances.. basically said shoes produced by the techniques and materials at the time couldn't be made in the US without an ecological holocaust..
Shoes probably a tiny, tiny industry in the scheme of things...Coal? Fossil fuels?
Fracking? ... none of this stuff is whaling,lead in gas and paint or even asbestos...we know lots of current practices and products are killing us our kids and planet...I have never to my knowledge been in the proximity of a leather tannery..? But I have seen fracking and it is simply evil..no other way to describe what it does to everything.. people plants and things.. whatever the yield.. the " real" price is too high
Unchained

04 Jul 2018 22:27

Fracking benefits no one but those selling and buying the product. Fbkc Obama there as elsewhere.
aphronesis
Veteran

05 Jul 2018 04:05

https://nypost.com/2018/07/04/trump-asked-aides-if-he-could-invade-venezuela-last-year-report/
President Donald Trump pressed aides about whether he could invade Venezuela during an Oval Office discussion last year about imposing sanctions on the South American country as it was roiled by political and economic crises, according to a report on Wednesday.

​The suggestion stunned the aides, including Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and national security adviser H.R. McMaster – both of whom are no longer with the administration – and sparked a heated debate for about five minutes last August, the Associated Press reported. ​

Do you laugh or head for the cocktail cabinet? Geezus!
(A belated Happy July 4 to Americans - gotta love a celebration that involves alcohol and fireworks, what could possibly go wrong?!)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to General