Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 Aug 2018 15:35

On a personal note, it would be a shame to see you go Scott. I think we probably disagree on almost everything when it comes to politics but I have enjoyed reading your posts and the links in the past, even if they generally just reaffirm my position.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,446
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

17 Aug 2018 15:39

aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,705
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re:

17 Aug 2018 15:52

King Boonen wrote:On a personal note, it would be a shame to see you go Scott. I think we probably disagree on almost everything when it comes to politics but I have enjoyed reading your posts and the links in the past, even if they generally just reaffirm my position.


Yup, same, too bad he goes..now they are all gone....lupi33, Blutto, SemperFi...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,102
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re:

17 Aug 2018 16:24

aphronesis wrote:https://jacobinmag.com/2018/08/john-brennan-trump-hayden-clapper
Fits right in with Strzok's gofundme and Rick Wilson's new anti-trump NYT best seller. The rush to deify any anti-Trump voice is a real valid criticism of the liberal resistance types. Stripping security clearances is low-rent, but that doesn't make Brennan a 'good guy' by default.

Jerry Falwell
@JerryFalwellJr
We have been duped into viewing politicians as royalty when our Founders intended them to be only temp public servants. Complaints @realDonaldTrump is not “presidential” are because he acts like one of us-exactly why our Founders fought in Rev War to win independence from royalty
More profound than Jerry probably even realizes.
Last edited by djpbaltimore on 17 Aug 2018 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,308
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Re:

17 Aug 2018 16:24

Scott SoCal wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Mod hat on:

The posts in this thread are starting to get too personal. It's a fine line in discussions where people are stating their personal views and positions but the same rule that applies elsewhere applies here. Post, not poster.

Cheers,

KB.


I appreciate the soft touch KB. Well done.

There’s one common problem on this thread. I always said I’d leave here when it was no longer entertaining to me. It’s now just an insult fest so I’m tapping out.

Most of our differences aren’t all that great. You all enjoy yourselves, live and be well.

Ciao.


I've done the extended absence thing...you'll be back...something political will happen, and you will have to come see what kind of bulls**t I or someone else is posting about. You'll withhold for hours or days, and then weigh in reasonably at first, and then in the manner that is typical of politics and this thread. How do I know? Well, we really aren't that much different, and well, look at my history.

Enjoy the vacation, I've found it a bit liberating when I've done it, and without you to cuss at, I'm likely to lose interest too.

Cheers Scott.
ChewbaccaDefense
Member
 
Posts: 1,948
Joined: 05 Nov 2013 19:35
Location: Nevada City, CA

17 Aug 2018 16:52

Scott.. I don't know about what all the chatter is about you quiting.. don't leave me babe.. I need you!!!
Scott the reference to me being of a millennial mindset has really gotten me to wonder.. I mean I am really thinking..
I will just generally guess you are over 35 years of age.. I think a good guess might be that a couple of other heavy typers are also part or that demo... one look at my gut,butT and hairline makes me yearn for the good ol days..
I would like to correct you on a couple of levels.there is no such thing as an entry level job.those and the term are something you and Trump's trailers full of blue hairs believe..a lot dollar or 2 dollar gas.. it's gone never coming back.
When I went on a rant about fast food work it reflects our working poor reality.. the average age of a fast food worker is no longer 16 or 17.. many people maning the barrista bar are not there as a stopgap to get through school.. that's there job.. when you and I rolled off the showroom floor and into the workforce.. not every @21+ year old owed @$40K+ in student debt.. I got an apartment in Ocean Beach California.. which had a nickname of " where the debris meets the sea".. I had a place near the emergency boat ramp off of Cable for $675..w parking which was impossible to get!! that same apt rents for $2100 and the parking spot has an individual rental fee of $75bucks a month.
Doing a monthly nut calculation for a 22-25 yo old may get tears flowing..car payments, insurance, monthly expenses, rent and if you are lucky some beer per month is staggering.. not just the numbers but as a percentage of income.. and the credit and student debt loads are a national crisis, embarrassment and social cancer all in one..
The whole " get a job while you figure things out" days are over.. every job in our economy is an important one.. regardless of age or race..jobs that used to be for getting concert tickets and fun food and drinks are now bread and butter..sole income sources for many..
And I will repeat.. I know I do it often and it makes you mad each time.jobs in fast food and Walmart, Target and Home Depot...yes they are jobs but are a reflection of the problems w the economy and the country...all employed there, while obviouslly participating are drastically underemployed..as is much of America..
Our President wasn't asked to make either or on education or plantation or coal work..he did that on his own..Taco Bell and Golden Corral might get his base to cheer the economic boom he says is taking place...its BS
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re: Re:

17 Aug 2018 20:48

djpbaltimore wrote:
aphronesis wrote:https://jacobinmag.com/2018/08/john-brennan-trump-hayden-clapper
Fits right in with Strzok's gofundme and Rick Wilson's new anti-trump NYT best seller. The rush to deify any anti-Trump voice is a real valid criticism of the liberal resistance types. Stripping security clearances is low-rent, but that doesn't make Brennan a 'good guy' by default.

Jerry Falwell
@JerryFalwellJr
We have been duped into viewing politicians as royalty when our Founders intended them to be only temp public servants. Complaints @realDonaldTrump is not “presidential” are because he acts like one of us-exactly why our Founders fought in Rev War to win independence from royalty
More profound than Jerry probably even realizes.


Brennan, in my opinion, is loathsome. He is the classic true believer who will lie to public officials if he thinks it serves his personal view of the greater good.

He is also now a private citizen.

The security clearance Brennan held was not for Brennan's benefit. It was for the benefit of tthe USA, so that current officials could talk to Brennan about current problems and thereby get the benefit of his knowledge.

The decision to give or withhold a security clearance should be based only on national security concerns, not upon the perceived need to punish political opponents.

Trump hurts the US when he debases the free flow of intelligence information with his cheap political moves.

This ought to bother conservatives, but I guess it does not. It's party over country for Trump and his accomplices.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,229
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 20:13

18 Aug 2018 00:44

aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,705
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re:

18 Aug 2018 02:02

aphronesis wrote:https://jacobinmag.com/2018/08/capitalism-inequality-worker-control-elizabeth-warren

I really think that more needs to be made of boards of directors..of elected officials and tax code. It really wasn't in-depth national news when Warren Buffett said his secretary paid more in taxes than he did.. also we have a guy posting here about the direct relationship between tax reductions for corporate interests and it's direct positive relationship with the economy.. but in truth nobody ever really talks about the real effective tax rates that companies pay...
Trump promised to change tax code so money couldn't be hidden in plain sight.. but like most things he said that was short lived and income can be charged at a personal rate and the taxes paid are fantastically reduced..
My own opinion is that socialism is not the answer just sane tax code..
I like taxes on things but not so much people.. luxury taxes, excess taxes.. you should not be writing off expenses and depreciation on second third forth homes and mega yachts..
When money is given to companies, contractors and government people have to care how it's spent\distributed...we don't.
Examples that always sicken me are work days per year for government officials and elected.. and how many years you need to work as an elected official to receive a pension.. how much will Paul Ryan get for the rest of his life
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

18 Aug 2018 02:37

It was national news when Buffet said it, but no one took the self responsibility to say “yeah: why, how; what needs to be done to change that?”

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/08/capitalism-inequality-worker-control-elizabeth-warren

Part of the problem was that when he said it Obama and some Democrats were busy repackaging the energy of Occupy so that it all seemed ok.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,705
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

18 Aug 2018 13:08

I watched the August 7th Frontline on hate groups...afraid to leave the house..I think I will hide under the bed for a few days...these documentaries are usually good ,this one touched in California,Texas,..Flushing NY..and Charlottesville..to name a few. Active duty military personnel, aerospace engineers,ect..all in the groups..very troubling
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re: Re:

18 Aug 2018 13:55

djpbaltimore wrote:
aphronesis wrote:https://jacobinmag.com/2018/08/john-brennan-trump-hayden-clapper
Fits right in with Strzok's gofundme and Rick Wilson's new anti-trump NYT best seller. The rush to deify any anti-Trump voice is a real valid criticism of the liberal resistance types. Stripping security clearances is low-rent, but that doesn't make Brennan a 'good guy' by default.

Jerry Falwell
@JerryFalwellJr
We have been duped into viewing politicians as royalty when our Founders intended them to be only temp public servants. Complaints @realDonaldTrump is not “presidential” are [b]because he acts like one of us[/b]-exactly why our Founders fought in Rev War to win independence from royalty
More profound than Jerry probably even realizes.


We are all a bunch of sexist, racist, loud mouth liars?? Horrors..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,102
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: Re:

18 Aug 2018 14:01

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Mod hat on:

The posts in this thread are starting to get too personal. It's a fine line in discussions where people are stating their personal views and positions but the same rule that applies elsewhere applies here. Post, not poster.

Cheers,

KB.


I appreciate the soft touch KB. Well done.

There’s one common problem on this thread. I always said I’d leave here when it was no longer entertaining to me. It’s now just an insult fest so I’m tapping out.

Most of our differences aren’t all that great. You all enjoy yourselves, live and be well.

Ciao.


I've done the extended absence thing...you'll be back...something political will happen, and you will have to come see what kind of bulls**t I or someone else is posting about. You'll withhold for hours or days, and then weigh in reasonably at first, and then in the manner that is typical of politics and this thread. How do I know? Well, we really aren't that much different, and well, look at my history.

Enjoy the vacation, I've found it a bit liberating when I've done it, and without you to cuss at, I'm likely to lose interest too.

Cheers Scott.


Yup, no doubt he'll still be reading this little slice of heaven..I've gone on sabbatical here too..when the BS just got up to me eyeballs but gotta continue to tell it 'like it is', at least until Nov 2018, when, hopefully, Congress can tell trump, 'don't call us, we'll call you'... :)
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,102
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

18 Aug 2018 15:26

Scott I can only hope that you ingest the Mods comments about personal content and come away with something positive from bidirectional exchange w a majority that often disagree with your point of view.
I certainly don't have a strategy to recruit more people w your point of view to beat one other on U.S. Politics on a bike racing forum...I think the numbers here are organic and that the left lean of the thread is random. I hope that you will continue to participate and know that if a comment, a rebuttal to your views appear personal it is probably not. Also your workload is higher than everyone else because there are far fewer voices here that are directed more right.
I also have ideas about conservatives..I am paying close attention to conversation about military and civilian American security personnel involved in the Bin Laden operations. If and when comments are made about Gold Star families or insults are directed at people who are career law enforcement officers..like Brennan and decorated Navy Admiral s and alike O think the arguments take a different direction. To describe high ranking military officers and CIA chiefs as bleeding heart liberals..to question their patriotism..is wrong and dangerous.
I feel that the task..at any level of defending the President 's word s and actions against decorated veterans is a fool's errand.
Never before in my lifetime did I think I would see the sitting President try and influence not only ongoing police work but to repeatedly try and influence a criminal jury trial that is underway. It is not clear to me right or left how comments about a trial in which the President has ill words for the prosecution and has public sympathy and praise for a man he previously described as "barely knowing" .
These are not right and left issue but instead right and wrong.
I hope that if anyone has views that q conservative -right that they would feel welcome and not be discouraged from saying their piece..
I do not feel that attacks on dead children or military personnel or grieving families are political..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re: Re:

18 Aug 2018 16:09

Bustedknuckle wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Mod hat on:

The posts in this thread are starting to get too personal. It's a fine line in discussions where people are stating their personal views and positions but the same rule that applies elsewhere applies here. Post, not poster.

Cheers,

KB.


I appreciate the soft touch KB. Well done.

There’s one common problem on this thread. I always said I’d leave here when it was no longer entertaining to me. It’s now just an insult fest so I’m tapping out.

Most of our differences aren’t all that great. You all enjoy yourselves, live and be well.

Ciao.


I've done the extended absence thing...you'll be back...something political will happen, and you will have to come see what kind of bulls**t I or someone else is posting about. You'll withhold for hours or days, and then weigh in reasonably at first, and then in the manner that is typical of politics and this thread. How do I know? Well, we really aren't that much different, and well, look at my history.

Enjoy the vacation, I've found it a bit liberating when I've done it, and without you to cuss at, I'm likely to lose interest too.

Cheers Scott.


Yup, no doubt he'll still be reading this little slice of heaven..I've gone on sabbatical here too..when the BS just got up to me eyeballs but gotta continue to tell it 'like it is', at least until Nov 2018, when, hopefully, Congress can tell trump, 'don't call us, we'll call you'... :)


I'm not going to count those chickens just yet, but I will say that Scott's narrative will take a hit if there is a blood bath in November for R's. A booming economy producing a backlash against the party in power is a sign I think he has been in denial of up until this point.
ChewbaccaDefense
Member
 
Posts: 1,948
Joined: 05 Nov 2013 19:35
Location: Nevada City, CA

18 Aug 2018 16:23

You think Scott has a narrative?
If so..it's the age old..It's the economy stupid..
All other issues are cast in the trash and unemployment and GDP are played out as the heart,blood and soul of America.
I hope that Scott's..Americans can't walk and chew gum at the same time..therefore concentrate on the economy is just me oversimplifying.
..because from what I see from the Trumps Towering Inferno..nothing else matters..everything and everyone in its path can be destroyed as collateral damage
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re: U.S. Politics

19 Aug 2018 16:01

"Truth isn't truth."

Rudy Giulani, attorney for Donald J. Trump.
August 19, 2018.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,229
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 20:13

Re: U.S. Politics

19 Aug 2018 17:04

MarkvW wrote:"Truth isn't truth."

Rudy Giulani, attorney for Donald J. Trump.
August 19, 2018.

If you watch and listen to Lara Trump offer Omerosa a $180,000 dollar a year..no show job.. and Lara specifically mentioned that the salary would be under the radar paid for by "small dollar donors"... it's all dependent on saying good things about the president and keeping her mouth shut.. it's all stated plainly... truly disgusting.. everyone involved
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

19 Aug 2018 17:06

Image
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,660
Joined: 06 Oct 2009 16:50

19 Aug 2018 17:26

So what about Cycling News, Velonews,PEZ, Cycle Trader and a multitude of others I visit all the time.. NY times, Daily News and the Post.. I also hit AZ Republic, and Chicago Tribune... Huffington Post..all hit me w targeted ads.. if this lawsuit pays out I am going to rich!!!
I have also been discriminated at bike races were I wasn't given an award for finishing.. even when I was a half hour off the back someone should be assigned to cheer me on..
But really most people..poor or otherwise are looking for rental property on Facebook?
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Back to top