Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Sep 2018 12:43

You know there’s lots I would quote but a lot of them won’t on my phone.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-fight-for-our-eyeballs/
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

30 Sep 2018 15:07

jmdirt wrote:I just can't figure out why the Rs are pushing BK so hard. Wouldn't it "save face" to dump him and bring in another yes judge? He can't be the only one out there can he?

Aphro is correct, rules and laws aren't for this crust of men.

Maybe this answers my question...he has been training, and being groomed for this for years:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-knew-brett-kavanaugh-during-his-years-republican-operative-don-ncna907391
jmdirt

Re:

30 Sep 2018 15:51

aphronesis wrote:You know there’s lots I would quote but a lot of them won’t on my phone.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-fight-for-our-eyeballs/

Very good article. I think TV ads also play a big role. I ride on two wheels most days...I personally observe American "smart phone addiction" daily . I have no way of knowing if people are looking at Facebook,Twitter,Instagram or others as they drive,walk,eat,shop,ride,and everything,everywhere else,in constant connection with their phone or connected device.
I do know it's an addiction for many ...and an absolutely logical place to target people..no matter what you are trying to sell,politics included.
I have seen w my own eyes otherwise intelligent people walk in NYC traffic looking exclusively at their phone..in San Diego I see people riding motorcycles..staring at their phone..mothers w kids in the car doing drunken swerves while trying to interact with their device...anybody trying for bang for your buck results should use the phone and social media consumption..Russia included..
When American democracy ends few will notice because everyone will be locked in on their phone
Unchained

Re: Re:

30 Sep 2018 17:49

jmdirt wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I just can't figure out why the Rs are pushing BK so hard. Wouldn't it "save face" to dump him and bring in another yes judge? He can't be the only one out there can he?

Maybe this answers my question...he has been training, and being groomed for this for years:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-knew-brett-kavanaugh-during-his-years-republican-operative-don-ncna907391

I think that's a big part of it. The other part is his opinions on Presidential prosecution, which are basically that it can't be done. Fat Donnie is pushing him for that reason, the right-wing warriors for the other. He checks all the boxes for them, judicial or decency standards be damned.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

30 Sep 2018 18:56

With the latest revelation by Kelly Ann Conway...President Trump will have someone in his closed loop to possibly get an answer to his question...
Why didn't Dr.Ford report the crime? Why wait soooo long?
Maybe Conway can shed some light on why she didn't report it...
* The failing NY Times has a small article by Padma Lakshmi about or horrible rape that she endured at 16 years old..
Unchained

Re: U.S. Politics

01 Oct 2018 14:16

Lots of character witnesses, that's for sure:

An attorney for one potential witness, Elizabeth Rasor, said her client has not been contacted by the FBI despite repeated offers to cooperate. Roberta Kaplan said her client, who was in a relationship with Judge for about three years, has notified the Judiciary Committee several times about her offer of assistance.

Rasor last week publicly challenged Judge’s statement that he could not recall roughhousing taking place with women while at Georgetown Prep in Montgomery County, Md. In an interview with the New Yorker, Rasor said she felt morally obligated to reveal that Judge had told her “a very different story,” recounting an incident that involved multiple boys having sex with a drunk woman. Rasor said Judge had said the encounter was consensual and he did not name others involved in the incident. But Rasor was disturbed by the story and felt it undermined Judge’s claims about the sexual innocence of those at Georgetown Prep. Judge’s attorney told the New Yorker that her client “categorically denies” Rasor’s account.

Charles Ludington, a former varsity basketball player and friend of Kavanaugh’s at Yale, told The Washington Post on Sunday that he plans to deliver a statement to the FBI field office in Raleigh on Monday detailing violent drunken behavior by Kavanaugh in college.

Ludington, an associate professor at North Carolina State University, provided a copy of the statement to The Post.

In it, Ludington says in one instance, Kavanaugh initiated a fight that led to the arrest of a mutual friend: “When Brett got drunk, he was often belligerent and aggressive. On one of the last occasions I purposely socialized with Brett, I witnessed him respond to a semi-hostile remark, not by defusing the situation, but by throwing his beer in the man’s face and starting a fight that ended with one of our mutual friends in jail.

Ludington says he was deeply troubled by Kavanaugh appearing to blatantly mischaracterize his drinking in Senate testimony.

“I do not believe that the heavy drinking or even loutish behavior of an 18 or even 21 year old should condemn a person for the rest of his life,” Ludington wrote. “However ... if he lied about his past actions on national television, and more especially while speaking under oath in front of the United States Senate, I believe those lies should have consequences.”

An open letter “call to action” sent Saturday by two Georgetown Preparatory School graduates in support of Ford — and “ in solidarity with women everywhere who have endured sexual assault, violence, and harassment” — called on fellow alumni to reach out to the FBI if they have any information to share relevant to the Kavanaugh investigation…more than 60 Georgetown Prep alumni from the early 1980s through 2012 have co-signed the letter and that it is being shared on Facebook and social media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/administration-says-white-house-is-not-limiting-fbi-probe-of-kavanaugh-but-is-against-fishing-expedition/2018/09/30/aa7b796e-c4bb-11e8-b1ed-1d2d65b86d0c_story.html?utm_term=.671191e6bb71&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1
Merckx index

01 Oct 2018 20:57

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-01/ge-s-500-000-000-000-market-wipeout-is-like-erasing-facebook
Since peak in 2000, GE close to dropping half-trillion dollars

On August 28, 2000, Apple’s hottest product was a candy-colored computer, Donald Trump was a New York real estate mogul and General Electric Co. was worth some $600 billion.

Apple and Trump have gone on to greater things. GE? It’s on the verge of a staggering milestone: a half-trillion dollars in market value wiped out since that all-time high 18 years ago. On Monday the company made the surprise announcement that it was replacing Chief Executive Officer John Flannery, who has been unable to stem the slide in the company’s shares after just more than a year in the job.

The iconic American corporation is now worth just under $100 billion, its stock at around $11 at Friday’s close, and investors are signaling they don’t expect things to get better.

GE & the automobile industry have been living on borrowed time for years. How much has the US taxpayer put up to keep them going? :sad:
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

02 Oct 2018 03:32

I had mentioned before that I did a simple search for the top 10 US employers ..GE was there I wonder how long...? I am also super curious about what will happen w the huge amounts of time and money they have spent on their energy and transportation engineering efforts? with infrastructure on hold and high tech energy being put behind coal and oil..were does GE's wind power and gas turbine platforms fall in importance?
Unchained

02 Oct 2018 12:59

jmdirt wrote:
I just can't figure out why the Rs are pushing BK so hard. Wouldn't it "save face" to dump him and bring in another yes judge? He can't be the only one out there can he?

Cuz he's very conservative and it's no coincidence that kennedy retired with enough time to get this liar on the SC before the midterms..having him get voted down would be a YUGE defeat for the orange faced dic7head in the WH.

BTW-second 'press conference'..love it when don the dope is unscripted..and so many can see what a sexist fool he really is. He's gotta go...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

02 Oct 2018 13:15

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

02 Oct 2018 14:38

aphronesis wrote:https://www.truthdig.com/articles/how-america-can-free-itself-from-wall-street/

I find this article right on and very scary..first..the majority of Americans do not directly participate in the stock market..further..certainly not blaming millennial bunch directly..but I think the problem described in the article about Los Angeles paying through the nose for financial services is actually welcomed by an entire generation..debt of all kinds has skyrocketed and in my opinion one reason is the conceptual discontent from finance...people use apps and cards and the value of the transaction is lost in translation..literally..student debt is just a figure on paper..the actual number..the physical amount to most is a concept.

I again don't blame Bush entirely...but..when Americans were sold wholesale on riding the stock market for retirement instead of having defined funds personally and specifically sequestered was..and will turn out to be crazy..Wall street is making loot for financial services and the average American..no matter what age doesn't understand what Wall Street is..what it does and were all the piles of cash come from..
As babyboomers retire and people don't have enough..what role Wall street played..Will be a day late and a dollar short..literally..

Hearing about who and how the film..Wolf of Wall Street was financed is amazing..scary to think that everywhere..
NFL inside traders,Bernie Madoff types..are not a few in the system they are the system..
Unchained

02 Oct 2018 15:08

Shifting retirement funds to the market started with Ford and Carter. Nixon really, but the push came in the late 70s.

The LA conditions described are similar to those that keep the NY subway in permanent disrepair. Servicing debt interest. That and contractor bloat.
aphronesis
Veteran

02 Oct 2018 16:56

When underfunded pension funds and huge numbers of pending retirees relying solely on Social security for income...all this economy on fire BS will come to roost ...all the low paying service jobs a no benefits will haunt our future..Amazon raising its warehouse wage to @$15 bucks an hour is a joke..the previous yearly income of @$29,000 dollars a year for an Amazon worker is scary..by the time you pay your bills..what could be left?
I guess there is always those awesome Dollar General or coveted coal mining jobs. Here in San Diego..2nd and 3rd class US Navy petty officers qualify for food assistance programs..many use food pantry locations...
Unchained

02 Oct 2018 18:19

Well Amazon just raised their minimum wage to $15. They, Wal-Mart and the big fast food chains all encourage employees to get on public assistance.

It’s ok though because those aren’t career jobs. Just interim stepping stones.
aphronesis
Veteran

02 Oct 2018 21:40

NY Times goes through lots of old Trump papers and surprise! Dodgy dealings.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

Trump to cause Twitter storm in 3 ...2 ... 1 ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

03 Oct 2018 06:44

Do we want or need a lifetime judge that cries over calenders from the 80's or tells about beer..for days..?no
Nobody writes about the Devil's Triangle unless they were there...
Not a drinking game
Unchained

03 Oct 2018 11:31

CBC news headline:
"Crowd laughs as Trump mocks Christine Blasey Ford's testimony on Brett Kavanaugh"

Le Figaro headline:
"États-Unis: Trump moque l'accusatrice de son candidat à la Cour suprême"

Meanwhile the crowd laughs and cheers, and Trump's approval rating is 42% (Gallup poll Sep 24-30, 2018).

Regardless of your politics, and regardless of what you might think of the Kavanaugh situation, this is so incredibly wrong in so many ways. Scraping the bottom is an understatement.

I wouldn't expect that Kavanaugh, Trump boot-licker extradordinaire, will step in to suggest that his hero has gone too far.

The USA is indeed becoming a soulless country, or you could argue that it already is.
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry

03 Oct 2018 11:54

The 'Sexual Predator in Chief' 'is afraid for young men' and mocks Dr Ford at a rally..this moron just doesn't get it and I hope he stays that way..as more women and people of color get rid of the GOP and this asse-hole, in 2018 and 2020.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

03 Oct 2018 12:33

I'm not the least bit shocked that dt mocked Dr. Ford in a gym full of his supporters, and honestly, I'm not surprised that they cheered. After all, they paid money to listen to dt be dt. Ignorant people have always had gatherings to make each other feel good about their ignorance. The difference now is that their leader is the prez.

EDIT: Its important to note that dt was making fun of someone for telling the truth. He would make things up, lie, in the same situation.

RE: false assault accusations: ~15 years ago a guy in my company was accused of assaulting a woman in my company. He go arrested, they spent ~6 months in legal proceedings, and then the woman admitted that she made it up because he wouldn't date her. So false accusations do happen, but for every false one, there are many more true ones. I don't think that most men have too much to worry about. Now, entitled brats who think that all woman are their play things, probably should be worried.

The thing that I can't understand about sexual assault is that there are woman who are just as into enjoying sex as men. I know that the psychosis is about power more than sex so I guess that may be why I don't understand.
Last edited by jmdirt on 03 Oct 2018 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

Re:

03 Oct 2018 12:35

frenchfry wrote:CBC news headline:

The USA is indeed becoming a soulless country, or you could argue that it already is.

you got it wong ;) it's NOT about a soul, but about the rule of law :rolleyes: .......in the land of laws :lol:

that said AND irony/sarcasm off, i'd go along with the fbi investigation conclusion whatever they find...after all, if they find an alleged sexual predator deserves the highest judicial seat in the land, as they say, each nation deserves their govt..a judicial branch in this case.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General