Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

03 Oct 2018 20:54

http://www.rudaw.net/english/world/031020181
America’s top diplomat took another strike at Iran, saying threats from the Islamic Republic necessitated closing the consulate in Basra and withdrawing from a 1955 treaty after a UN court ruling telling the US to ease sanctions against Iran.

“Iran is the origin of the current threat to Americans in Iraq,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said during a press briefing in Washington on Wednesday.

“Our intelligence in this regard is solid. We can see the hand of the Ayatollah and his henchmen supporting these attacks on the United States,” he added.

More make believe from Pompeo? Have not heard of lots of body-bags coming back from Iraq.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

03 Oct 2018 21:15

the FBI should conclude that Brett buddy cried about calendars...? the FBI will find that Brett didn't display the attitude of a lifelong judge of the supreme court...whatever else they find could be important,,but what Kavanaugh did at the hearing was out of bounds for a judge..a judge of tennis, cycling, baseball, traffic court..but way, way out of bounds for a supreme court justice..
Unchained

04 Oct 2018 11:29

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

04 Oct 2018 12:53

Unchained wrote:the FBI should conclude that Brett buddy cried about calendars...? the FBI will find that Brett didn't display the attitude of a lifelong judge of the supreme court...whatever else they find could be important,,but what Kavanaugh did at the hearing was out of bounds for a judge..a judge of tennis, cycling, baseball, traffic court..but way, way out of bounds for a supreme court justice..

Of course...his lying notwithstanding, his partisanship, anger, loss of 'cool', should disqualify this frat boy BUT...unless 3-4 GOP senators take their collective heads outta their butts..he's gonna be confirmed..The midterms are riding on this and trump's sense of security..hopefully we WILL see a blue wave in Nov 2018 and 2020..

Huckabee hingeneck complained again about the press slamming her idol..well, if the guy wasn't such a YUGE pri@k, maybe the press would talk about the economy instead of him being stupid in public. He needs to STFU or go away..however..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

04 Oct 2018 15:36

FBI just released this statement:

After interviewing only nine people, not including Ford, Kavanaugh, or Kavanaugh’s college roommate, we find no corroboration of Ford’s charges. Basically, we just talked to everyone claimed by Ford to be at the party, though we already knew that none of them could recall this event. We did not try to find out when Judge worked at the Safeway, or who might have driven Ford to the party, nor did we try to establish whether Kavanaugh could really be certain that he was never so drunk at a party that he didn’t remember what he did there. We certainly did not use 1% of the resources that we routinely apply to serious criminal cases, when we actually care about getting to the bottom of the matter.

We’re done with our whitewash, now the Senate is free to approve Kavanaugh. We look forward to his attacks on the Democratic Party, and his insults hurled at litigants before the SC.
Merckx index

05 Oct 2018 12:55

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/05/joe-biden-2020-decision-869529
One month before the 2020 presidential primary begins in earnest, Biden continues to lead in early polls. He is ramping up his schedule of midterm campaign appearances and, perhaps more significantly, meeting with donors.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He's a nice man etc but ... 76 next month, to begin with.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: U.S. Politics

05 Oct 2018 13:05

So, what's a US citizen to do? Yup, economy sizzling, unemployment down, stock market up and up...

BUT the fat head taking the credit is a loud mouthed lout..a racist, sexist lying pig. A white nationalist who frequently 'dog whistles' about losing the 'white MAN'S culture'. His 'crew' is peopled by rich racist, white guys(like Miller) and true believers like huckabee and pence..who don't have any original thought rattling around in their brain.

Gotta say, little makes me as angry as trump's daily BS on twitter..and then his white nationalist, deplorable rallies.

I know I'm not alone..so much gooned up..health care, immigration, pending conflict with a BIG Asian nation who refuses to be bullied by this moron..love affair with 2 murderers...

Tough times....
Veteran

05 Oct 2018 13:08

Ladies and gentlemen.... our POTUS....
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad. Don’t fall for it! Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love! #Troublemakers

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1048196883464818688
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

05 Oct 2018 13:08

Merckx index wrote:FBI just released this statement:

After interviewing only nine people, not including Ford, Kavanaugh, or Kavanaugh’s college roommate, we find no corroboration of Ford’s charges. Basically, we just talked to everyone claimed by Ford to be at the party, though we already knew that none of them could recall this event. We did not try to find out when Judge worked at the Safeway, or who might have driven Ford to the party, nor did we try to establish whether Kavanaugh could really be certain that he was never so drunk at a party that he didn’t remember what he did there. We certainly did not use 1% of the resources that we routinely apply to serious criminal cases, when we actually care about getting to the bottom of the matter.

We’re done with our whitewash, now the Senate is free to approve Kavanaugh. We look forward to his attacks on the Democratic Party, and his insults hurled at litigants before the SC.

You forgot to mention this sham was directed from the desk of the orange haired orangutan in the WH via Don McGahn..
Veteran

05 Oct 2018 15:47

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

06 Oct 2018 13:55

aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/10/05/roaming-charges-5/

Great article..we are all doomed until these butt heads are shown the door(guess who the butt heads are?)
Veteran

06 Oct 2018 17:33

As I have admitted a few times, I'm not even close to being a political expert, but when did USA politics become solely partisan? I can remember when politicians voted on issues, not simply along party lines. Even LG lamented the state of politics in 2018. Does that make our dysfunctional bureaucracy completely dysfunctional?
jmdirt

Re:

06 Oct 2018 18:31

jmdirt wrote:As I have admitted a few times, I'm not even close to being a political expert, but when did USA politics become solely partisan? I can remember when politicians voted on issues, not simply along party lines. Even LG lamented the state of politics in 2018. Does that make our dysfunctional bureaucracy completely dysfunctional?

Gringrich probably started it. However it really became this way the day the country elected a black man to the White House. At that point the racist/sexist part of the far right took over the Republican party to try to push to put women and minorities back to being nothing more than property.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

07 Oct 2018 12:28

Koronin wrote:
jmdirt wrote:As I have admitted a few times, I'm not even close to being a political expert, but when did USA politics become solely partisan? I can remember when politicians voted on issues, not simply along party lines. Even LG lamented the state of politics in 2018. Does that make our dysfunctional bureaucracy completely dysfunctional?

Gringrich probably started it. However it really became this way the day the country elected a black man to the White House. At that point the racist/sexist part of the far right took over the Republican party to try to push to put women and minorities back to being nothing more than property.

Of course, that's what happens when a white nationalist and sexist old white guy sits in the big chair at the WH..surrounded by like minded arsewholes like miller.

trump lies about crowds again..say, few hundred 'paid'..stupid old man...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/06/politics/kavanaugh-protests/index.html
Veteran

08 Oct 2018 01:01

We have a different reality..go to any family holiday function.. does anyone ask a 70 yo uncle about current events.. about the internet.. about the healthcare for a new young family, about race relations,.? About the job market? No nobody asks these questions.. do 70 year old men know Kanye music..? No.. and nobody asked them..no logical person would.. what do 70 year old people know about a gig economy.about Uber? About $$60,000 dollar student debt.. about @$1500 one bedroom apartment rent?.. nothing..why we are letting 70 yo people lead the country at every level of government is studid , wrong and crazy...
Letting 70 year old people talk about internet policy.. women's health is insane.letting them start and end wars completely crazy.. let them pick lifelong judges..over the top whacky?.
But that is what we are doing..
And if that wasn't insane.. the number of people under 30 who say they won't be voting... oops.all my BS is answered... Trump is full orange because people w blue hair make the time to vote..
Unchained

Re:

08 Oct 2018 01:06

Unchained wrote:We have a different reality..go to any family holiday function.. does anyone ask a 70 yo uncle about current events.. about the internet.. about the healthcare for a new young family, about race relations,.? About the job market? No nobody asks these questions.. do 70 year old men know Kanye music..? No.. and nobody asked them..no logical person would.. what do 70 year old people know about a gig economy.about Uber? About $$60,000 dollar student debt.. about @$1500 one bedroom apartment rent?.. nothing..why we are letting 70 yo people lead the country at every level of government is studid , wrong and crazy...
Letting 70 year old people talk about internet policy.. women's health is insane.letting them start and end wars completely crazy.. let them pick lifelong judges..over the top whacky?.
But that is what we are doing..
And if that wasn't insane.. the number of people under 30 who say they won't be voting... oops.all my BS is answered... Trump is full orange because people w blue hair make the time to vote..

I agree with you. Unfortunately not much Gen X can do about it. We simply just don't have the numbers and never will. The younger people need to vote. This is their future and they don't seem to understand this.
User avatar Koronin

08 Oct 2018 01:21

I’m sorry. This is ridiculous. Political transformation comes from much more than voting. The Gen X slacker, low numbers excuse doesn’t court for much. I know lots and lots of younger people who are politically astute and engaged, but obviously there are many others buying the usual narratives passed onto them by their complacent apolitical elders.

Voting takes five minutes and following the comfortable media. You think that suffices for political engagement?
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

08 Oct 2018 03:29

aphronesis wrote:I’m sorry. This is ridiculous. Political transformation comes from much more than voting. The Gen X slacker, low numbers excuse doesn’t court for much. I know lots and lots of younger people who are politically astute and engaged, but obviously there are many others buying the usual narratives passed onto them by their complacent apolitical elders.

Voting takes five minutes and following the comfortable media. You think that suffices for political engagement?

It is a FACT that Gen X is a very small generation compared to both the generations before and after. Sorry if you don't like that little fact. Of course you use the slacker term, well guess what we've heard that our whole lives and then you wonder why many just don't care? You all put it out there that we shouldn't care.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

08 Oct 2018 04:09

aphronesis wrote:I’m sorry. This is ridiculous. Political transformation comes from much more than voting. The Gen X slacker, low numbers excuse doesn’t court for much. I know lots and lots of younger people who are politically astute and engaged, but obviously there are many others buying the usual narratives passed onto them by their complacent apolitical elders.

consider the situation for the average GenX chance for following anything in media... working full time, usually both partners, get home, sort kids/dinner/etc... before finally getting some down time, which won't be for long, and unlikely to be long enough to read anything that's in any depth... just a perusal of the headlines and sports if they're lucky, if not spending time on social media, which isn't exactly a good source of info on anything... perhaps catch some of a news service, which won't exactly be unbiased, either...
Couple that with the party identification/following that seems to be done in the same way as people follow their favourite sports team - hard-core unwavering loyalty for life. Oh, and they'll get more upset about decisions made by the head coach of that team than by party leaders...
User avatar Archibald

08 Oct 2018 06:08

Taxpayer's dollars well spent?
https://www.salon.com/2018/10/06/wtf-are-we-doing-in-afghanistan/
The report from the Senate Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight states that total cost for the war we’ve been fighting in Afghanistan is somewhere “between $841 billion” — a figure Brown University’s Cost of Wars Project says is vastly underestimated — “to approximately $2 trillion.”
A total of 2,372 American soldiers have died in Afghanistan since 2001, with more than 20,000 wounded.

and the winning US military? Aug 7
https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/2018/08/07/mattis-says-peace-talks-with-the-taliban-are-underway/
Secretary of Defense James Mattis said Tuesday that peace talks are underway to end the 17-year-old war in Afghanistan.

"It is still early in that reconciliation process. I will have to give you an update to date as it matures,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon on Tuesday.

Mattis faced questions about the peace talks after recent reports of a secretive meeting in Qatar between a member of the U.S. State Department and the Taliban.

User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to General