Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

08 Oct 2018 12:01

Koronin wrote:
aphronesis wrote:I’m sorry. This is ridiculous. Political transformation comes from much more than voting. The Gen X slacker, low numbers excuse doesn’t court for much. I know lots and lots of younger people who are politically astute and engaged, but obviously there are many others buying the usual narratives passed onto them by their complacent apolitical elders.

Voting takes five minutes and following the comfortable media. You think that suffices for political engagement?



It is a FACT that Gen X is a very small generation compared to both the generations before and after. Sorry if you don't like that little fact. Of course you use the slacker term, well guess what we've heard that our whole lives and then you wonder why many just don't care? You all put it out there that we shouldn't care.


That fact has little to do with what I asked or said.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,671
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re: U.S. Politics

08 Oct 2018 13:07

"people accusing 'Kava-NOpe' ought to be held liable"..He's gone from 'very compelling' to 'filthy liar who ought to be prosecuted'..I wish he would just STFU and stop saying stupid things to 'trump TV'...

https://www.thoughtco.com/donald-trump-quotes-2733859
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,088
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

08 Oct 2018 13:15

David Bowie gave us 5 years, the IPCC says 12 years ...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report
... Trump will claim it's all fake.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,853
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

08 Oct 2018 16:34

unchained, one of you recent posts sounds weird. at least in a way of values i grew up with and imparted to my kids.

i may have misunderstood you, thus will hold back a conclusion, but 'no one will ask a 70 yo at a family outing' are exactly the opposite, the most enjoyable moments for me personally, when we visit(ed) my father in europe or my wife's departed mother...i mean the deep curiosity with which our girls are interested in their answers to 'today's issues'. granted, not all older folks are 'aware' but to dismiss their opinion is, let me be blunt, is age discriminatory.

when one discriminates an age so openly w/o actually noticing the potential for bigotry i suspect a deeply ingrained double standard. many of my american friends - w/o any ill intent - have been observed doing it. i now wonder if it's a cultural thing :Question: ...a big leap on my part, i admit.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,854
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re:

08 Oct 2018 20:26

Robert5091 wrote:David Bowie gave us 5 years, the IPCC says 12 years ...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report
... Trump will claim it's all fake.
The terrifying thing is that the more dire the predictions become, the less many of his political persuasion will believe them.

I think Unchained hits on a lot of key points. Many 70 year olds do have viewpoints worth listening to, but by the same token, are often remarkably out of touch when it comes to modern day reality. And if you watched last week, it isn't just 70 year olds deciding things. A lot of those senators are 80+. I think there should be mandatory retirement age for politicians and judges. If they want to continue working, it shouldn't be hard to find work in the public sector.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think there is an age where people should move from the realm of 'deciding' to the realm of 'advising'.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,293
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

08 Oct 2018 20:40

i now feel closer that american double standard, which was suspected in the age discrimination example above, may be going beyond the unchained posts...indeed a subconscious culture perhaps.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,854
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

08 Oct 2018 21:19

The Swamp's revolving door is still turning -
https://www.newsmax.com/politics/hope-hicks-fox-corporate-communications/2018/10/08/id/885341/

Hope Hicks, former White House communications director, is the new head of corporate communications for the new Fox corporation, which includes Fox broadcasting, Fox Sports, and Fox News, Variety reports.

"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,853
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

08 Oct 2018 21:27

python wrote:i now feel closer that american double standard, which was suspected in the age discrimination example above, may be going beyond the unchained posts...indeed a subconscious culture perhaps.
Oh, look.... Python is judging Americans again. Remember this gem?
i would not extend the parallel to ALL brown people BUT would stand by a personal observation that many 'browns' i met and befriended were superior to the white trash i met in america in droves.

viewtopic.php?p=2208910#p2208910
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,293
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

08 Oct 2018 21:45

of course i will be there when there is a need to show the lack of reflection in some americans like you...be sure.

you conveniently missed the context that the quote was a reply to your racist post about the whites as if there was some collective guilt.

quite several posters at the time exposed your skin-deep mascaraing as some sort of defender of people of colour by posting a racist garbage.

another reason for not changing my signature exposing your rather transparent biases. is your phd the next argument we are going to be served :lol:

the simple point is that there are less than noble minded persons among different races and economic classes and that reverse racism is still a racism whatever the injustice done to a group or a race.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,854
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

09 Oct 2018 02:31

Not sure it's 'age discrimination' for wanting politicians/senators to have retired at retirement age - ie; the same as everyone else... admittedly, they're unlikely to do so while they've their snouts in the trough...
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,774
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

09 Oct 2018 02:34

Taylor Swift jumping in...
good on her, she's backed up her reasoning too, which is 'unexpected' from a singer. If it encourages some of her millions of followers to sign up and vote, then great
at least it's also a good laugh at how bent out of shape the republicans are over her comment.
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,774
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

Re:

09 Oct 2018 03:31

Archibald wrote:Taylor Swift jumping in...
good on her, she's backed up her reasoning too, which is 'unexpected' from a singer. If it encourages some of her millions of followers to sign up and vote, then great
at least it's also a good laugh at how bent out of shape the republicans are over her comment.


I was impressed that he backed it up with reasoning. I do hope she can encourage some of her younger followers to vote. Someone needs to reach them and maybe she can. I think she showed he is intelligent with how she backed up her reasoning.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

09 Oct 2018 07:00

Python thanks for the restraint..yes chatting w a 70 yo loved one is extraordinary..delightful...does anybody ask them about VPN concerns or recent video game updates.what Netflix shows they can't do without..is the 70 yo annoyed e Game of thrones concluding season..?no
For women's health issues...current education format and finance to be debated and decided by 70+ yo people is insane.
For me personally..I have always seen a strange positive from the Vietnam war...we trashed veterans ,debate and protest...@180 shift the country can suddenly, successfully separate the soldier from the mission..vets have praise and empathy in popular culture.
I had always hoped that letting 70 yo send 18 yo men to death was something we wanted..wished to outgrow.
Letting the very o!d lead everybody else is bad dangerous and dumb
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

09 Oct 2018 09:30

aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,671
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re:

09 Oct 2018 12:18

aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/10/09/cant-hit-the-snooze-button-no-more/

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/10/supreme-court-senate-electoral-college-undemocratic

Yeah pop stars getting out the vote should turn politics right around.


NO but educated women are pissed off..and not just democrats. Dr Ford I guess was an operative hired by the 'evil' democrats and their 'lawyers'..I hope trump the dummy continues this 'men are at risk', BS, and only the white nationalist women will vote GOP..fits in with his 'white culture is at risk', racist, white nationalist mantra..

Gotta vote..less than 3 days..gotta vote.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,088
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re:

09 Oct 2018 12:21

Archibald wrote:Not sure it's 'age discrimination' for wanting politicians/senators to have retired at retirement age - ie; the same as everyone else... admittedly, they're unlikely to do so while they've their snouts in the trough...


Term limits for sure..like the POTUS..and hopefully only one for this orange haired orangutan in the WH...
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,088
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: Re:

09 Oct 2018 12:23

Bustedknuckle wrote:
aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/10/09/cant-hit-the-snooze-button-no-more/

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/10/supreme-court-senate-electoral-college-undemocratic

Yeah pop stars getting out the vote should turn politics right around.


NO but educated women are pissed off..and not just democrats. Dr Ford I guess was an operative hired by the 'evil' democrats and their 'lawyers'..I hope trump the dummy continues this 'men are at risk', BS, and only the white nationalist women will vote GOP..fits in with his 'white culture is at risk', racist, white nationalist mantra..

Gotta vote..less than 3 days..gotta vote.


Yes, but many also think that feminism isn’t their problem and that Democrats and/or politicians, if the right ones, will magically fix things. Voting is easy for the educated women.

Not for everyone, everywhere, but that’s part of a larger set of issues that should be fixed.

Or we can just stick to the usual charades of consumerism and corporate welfare.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,671
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re:

09 Oct 2018 12:44

python wrote:unchained, one of you recent posts sounds weird. at least in a way of values i grew up with and imparted to my kids.

i may have misunderstood you, thus will hold back a conclusion, but 'no one will ask a 70 yo at a family outing' are exactly the opposite, the most enjoyable moments for me personally, when we visit(ed) my father in europe or my wife's departed mother...i mean the deep curiosity with which our girls are interested in their answers to 'today's issues'. granted, not all older folks are 'aware' but to dismiss their opinion is, let me be blunt, is age discriminatory.

when one discriminates an age so openly w/o actually noticing the potential for bigotry i suspect a deeply ingrained double standard. many of my american friends - w/o any ill intent - have been observed doing it. i now wonder if it's a cultural thing :Question: ...a big leap on my part, i admit.

I only have a few minutes here so won't really be able to articulate what I'm thinking, but its less about age and more about knowledge, understanding, and cognitive function.

Lets be honest here though, many/most politician make decisions based on $$. The lifetime politicians stopped making decisions for their constituents many years ago.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,135
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

09 Oct 2018 17:32

python wrote:of course i will be there when there is a need to show the lack of reflection in some americans like you...be sure.

you conveniently missed the context that the quote was a reply to your racist post about the whites as if there was some collective guilt.

quite several posters at the time exposed your skin-deep mascaraing as some sort of defender of people of colour by posting a racist garbage.

another reason for not changing my signature exposing your rather transparent biases. is your phd the next argument we are going to be served :lol:

the simple point is that there are less than noble minded persons among different races and economic classes and that reverse racism is still a racism whatever the injustice done to a group or a race.
The irony of someone highlighting how prevalent white trash Americans are is now accusing another person of racism. Gold....

The irony of someone who whinges nonstop about a poster talking about their education credentials bringing up the same person's education credentials as a taunt. It seems like you are insecure about it.

I guess i could put more of your quotes on my signature, but you aren't worth it. Before you further lose the plot, I think Archibald hit the nail on the head. Mandating a retirement age is not exactly age bigotry. There is a minimum age to be president, why not a maximum?
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,293
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

09 Oct 2018 19:39

Dirt's closing point really is the point..it's 99.9%of the time about money..I remember feeling a little queezy when crowds would cheer Bernie as he repeated what he thought was a positive..I am getting lots of tiny donations..@$30 or $40 bucks..that is a sweet sentiment...but in the business of politics..getting big lumps in the millions is way easier..and because of American history post Vietnam...anything said about defense can be confused and configured as anti troops..so buying armoured vehicles from Ohio that nobody needs or will use is corporate welfare everyone involved just winks at..you wouldn't want or fighters wo the equipment they " need".
Another dirty question that doesn't get asked or answered...when is a politician fully vested..?..how .much politics do they need to endure before getting a lifetime pension a great benefits..forever..?
Swimming in the swamp for even a short while can be very very lucrative.
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 807
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Back to top