Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

15 Nov 2018 23:07

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/trump-admin-infuriates-career-doj-officials-with-request-to-extradite-gulen
NBC reports that Trump officials directed the Justice Department and FBI to reopen a Turkish extradition request for Gulen “in order to placate Turkey over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.”

Gulen is not the only Turk whose fate may be traded away in a bid to ease tensions.

NBC reports that the release of Turkish banker Mehmet Hakan Atilla, who is serving a 32-month sentence in federal prison for trying to evade U.S. sanctions on Iran, is also under consideration.

Erdogan has called the Atilla case “a political attack” and demanded his release. Trump and the Turkish leader discussed extraditing Atilla as another way to improve relations, NBC reports.

WTF?! :surprised: What has Erdogan got that would even make the US think of this?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

16 Nov 2018 08:01

Heeeeee's back! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/cnns-gloria-borger-reveals-why-trump-bag-man-rudy-giuliani-has-re-emerged/
On Thursday, CNN reported that President Donald Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani was upset about Special Counsel Robert Muellers’ questions for the president.

In a statement, Giuliani said that Mueller’s questions created trouble for his team.

Shame! Poor ol' man.

From Yemen to Baghdad -
http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/16112018
President Donald Trump is asking the Senate to approve a new ambassador to Iraq as the US ratchets up pressure on neighboring Iran and as some Republicans in Congress call for a stronger response to Tehran’s influence in Baghdad.

Trump on Thursday officially asked the Senate to confirm Matthew Tueller, who has been US ambassador to Yemen since 2014. If confirmed, he would succeed Douglas Silliman, who has held the job since July 2016.

Tueller, who is fluent in Arabic, also was ambassador to Kuwait and has held top positions at US embassies in Cairo, Baghdad and Riyadh. He is a former deputy director of the State Department’s Office of Northern Gulf Affairs.
Nathan Sales, coordinator for counterterrorism at the State Department, told the subcommittee that rocket attacks in Baghdad and Basra in recent weeks have had a “clarifying effect on our awareness of the threat that Iran poses to the region and to our forces.”

Late last month, the State Department announced it was temporarily closing the U.S. consulate in the southern Iraqi city of Basra following a rocket attack blamed on Iranian-back militias.

a “clarifying effect" ... yep. The rocket attack in Basra probably had a "clarifying effect" on the people working there too!

see https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2018/11/14/What-does-the-transfer-of-the-US-ambassador-from-Yemen-to-Iraq-mean-.html too -
Raseef22 said that it was not strange that Tueller were among those who held their position in Yemen with the arrival of Donald Trump to the White House. The ambassador, who was appointed by Obama shares the same position’s as Trump in Middle East issues, before the sitting president came to power.

The outlet added that soon, Tueller is expected to arrive in Iraq and carry out his missions according to one of his main policies: Hostility to Iran and its loyal militias.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

16 Nov 2018 13:56

How about those good old days when the msm left/right posters claimed that union influence was the same as corporate

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/11/16/the-revolutions-here-please-excuse-me-while-i-laugh/
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

16 Nov 2018 15:04

aphronesis wrote:How about those good old days when the msm left/right posters claimed that union influence was the same as corporate

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/11/16/the-revolutions-here-please-excuse-me-while-i-laugh/

So a progressive is a person that wants effective affordable education? A person that wants a cradle to grave plan for health care?a progressive is a person that doesn't stay in their lane even when the NRA demands it? A progressive is a person who thinks using or not using slurs like..bich..nig-er.or fagg0t is simply correct,not politically correct?
Take any issue from the last month and label it from start to finish..progressive or conservative..wild fires,,flooding..election results and turnout...mass shootings..terror attempts using bombs..sudden paralysis in our kids..
if you can see a clear definition of paralyzed children as a conservative or progressive..liberal..you may belong to one of the groups sure..but you are most definitely an idiot wo question..
Everything from dog eat dog style capitalism were the rich use the dead,dying and homeless as Lilly pads to hop to their private jet or limo..to Bernie's everything should be fair,everything at little to no cost and the imaginary money machine prints enough for all..from the hopeless to defense contractors..everyone is content and happy and the government and it's citizens all have easy monthly payments..
Somewhere in the middle is where we better get to before the American experiment fails..
Unchained

16 Nov 2018 22:23

Ohio is again doing their best to put in a de-facto 100% ban on abortions with the 6 week abortion ban bill. They also have stated this is a direct attack to get Roe V Wade overturned.
User avatar Koronin

17 Nov 2018 00:04

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cia-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-ordered-jamal-khashoggis-assassination/2018/11/16/98c89fe6-e9b2-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?
CIA say MSB was behind Khashoggi’s murder - if the CIA say that then Trump knows too. I expect Trump to try and push this onto Kushner to sort out.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/16/trump-says-hes-written-answers-to-muellers-questions-himself/
Eh? There's something wrong here ...
President Trump said Friday that he, and not his lawyers, personally answered written questions from special counsel Robert Mueller — and it was “very easy.”

“My lawyers are not working on that. I write answers. My lawyers don’t write answers. I answered the questions very easily. Very easily,” he told reporters at the White House after an unrelated bill signing.
“The questions were very routinely answered by me. By me. OK?” he said, adding that “I haven’t submitted them yet. I have been a little bit busy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/16/trump-white-house-cnn-reporter-jim-acosta-pass
A federal judge has ruled in favor of CNN and temporarily restored White House press access for reporter Jim Acosta, in a blow to the Trump administration.

CNN sued the White House this week to demand the immediate return of Acosta’s press credentials after his media pass was revoked following a high-profile press conference standoff with Donald Trump.

Trump's favourite past-time of bashing the press to continue.

User avatar Robert5091

Re: U.S. Politics

17 Nov 2018 22:38

Trump says thanks for the money and Erdogan is Trump's new BFF -
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/17/trump-saudis-khashoggi-cia-gulen-1000487
“As of this moment we were told that he did not play a role,” the president told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House, before embarking to California to observe the devastation from a spate of wildfires that have torn across the state, killing more than five dozen and leaving hundreds missing. “We’re going to have to find out what they have to say.”

Trump also rejected a Thursday report by NBC News alleging that his administration is considering extraditing exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen in the hope of dissuading Turkish President Recep Erdogan from punishing the Saudis for Khashoggi’s murder.

“It’s not under consideration,” Trump said, adding that “we’re having a very good moment with Turkey,” and citing Erdogan’s release of American pastor Andrew Brunson in October.

“You know, we also have a great ally in Saudi Arabia,” the president said. “They give us a lot of jobs and a lot of business and economic development. They have been a truly spectacular ally in terms of jobs and economic development.”

and only nice questions please
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/16/trump-jim-acosta-cnn-999675
The situation is akin to having a “sword hanging over our heads,” said New York Times chief White House correspondent Peter Baker. “It leaves this idea that they are going to be the judge of who gets to cover them based on some probably arbitrary criteria that they will be the only ones to determine.”

He added, “The idea that suddenly you’re going to try to determine who is polite enough to ask the president questions is just kind of ridiculous.”

User avatar Robert5091

18 Nov 2018 04:20

Trump walked the devastation of the California wildfires..he added some Donald wisdom like only he can.. " nobody ever thought anything like this could happen "....but his absolute gold nugget was from his deep grasp of Scandinavia and their forestry management techniques..Trump went into full helpful mode..." Over there they get into the forrest and rake things up and they keep it clean..and they don't have any problems..it works out really good "..
And he made a great sexual reproduction proclamation at a memorial service for a dead supreme court justice..so either that was his version of decorum...decorum will only be for Trump press conferences..or he will start with that decorum stuff December first..or maybe when Congress returns..
Jamal Khashoggi was murdered Trump concluded but he doesn't totally agree with the CIA..and the Saudis are still swell people to Don..
Unchained

Re:

18 Nov 2018 05:57

Koronin wrote:Ohio is again doing their best to put in a de-facto 100% ban on abortions with the 6 week abortion ban bill. They also have stated this is a direct attack to get Roe V Wade overturned.

Well

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/17/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-week-in-patriarchy-coat-women?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
aphronesis
Veteran

18 Nov 2018 13:59

“You know, we also have a great ally in Saudi Arabia,” the president said. “They give us a lot of jobs and a lot of business and economic development. They have been a truly spectacular ally in terms of jobs and economic development.”

don the dope says, so in other words, as long as it makes $, supporting a despot in SA, a murderer, is ok..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

18 Nov 2018 15:58

Trump maybe getting a leg up from the run of the mill Mexican citizens here in Baja..the government of Tijuana has made all kinds of provisions that didn't factor in local communities..
The caravan jumped the shark..instead of trickling in on foot..they flooded in on buses..instead of going to some open fields and a sports stadium set aside for temp.shelter they poured into a neighborhood called Playas 1000's of people in a small beach park..no porta potty in sight..no garbage cans ..
Now for local input..caravan clogged traffic..lots of Playas people work in San Diego so to screw up the commute either way..undesirable.
The caravan folks keep waving Honduran flags..littering everywhere..locals started chanting "Mexico!" and "Go home!"
The local TJ government has estimated the cost for caravan cost will be 2 million U.S. Dollars for 2 months. TJ spokesman says local funds will be gone in @11 days and the Mexican federal government needs to send cash now!!!
Locals have had fights..exchanged bottles and rocks and insults w the caravan..ugly..
The TV news coverage..no help..the local government and charities handing out sandwiches and fruit..interviews with caravan people complaining about the lack of variety of food being handed out..requesting " good stuff" like pizza and Chinese..* I am not making this up*
While being interviewed at the shelter..officials are surprised at the debris and filth inside the shelter..when one Mexican worker announces using a bullhorn to clean up your immediate area the caravan crew lets out a collective grunt..and then some scattered comments about cleaning up should be the job of the hosting Mexicans..Hondurans clap and cheer at the suggestion of the Mexican aid workers cleaning up after them..
Way to early to tell how this ends here in extreme N.Baja but if the caravan came here hoping to find a sympathetic ear..it doesn't look that way so far..very ugly overall..
San Ysidro is constantly called one of the busiest border crossings in the world..having U.S. Government and military closing off lanes a
W razor wire and extra concrete barriers..adding.an hour+ to crossing is going to aggravate things for sure
Unchained

19 Nov 2018 02:44

For a change of pace:

I saw a very interesting report on Aljazeera on the possibility of a second shooter in the Kennedy assassination. No, this is not the conspiracy theory you’re thinking of; it involves Bobby—who was assassinated fifty years ago as of last June--not Jack. I didn’t even know there were conspiracy theories surrounding this murder, though I guess there always are if it’s someone famous. Anyway, according to this report, there’s a lot of evidence indicating Sirhan Sirhan was not alone:

1) thirteen bullets were fired—this is based not only on the total number of bullets lodged in Kennedy and five other people known to be hit, but on several bullet holes found in the ceiling and in a door frame--whereas only eight could have been fired from Sirhan’s revolver

2) a sound recording of the shooting—which in the view of many though not all acoustic experts, confirms the thirteen shots--twice revealed two bullets being fired in such rapid succession that they couldn’t have come from the same gun

3) the bullet that killed Kennedy, according to the coroner, was fired within inches of his head, whereas all the witnesses said Sirhan was at least two feet away

4) the forensic evidence indicated that the trajectories of the bullets had to come from behind and below Kennedy, whereas witnesses generally agreed that Sirhan was in front of him and standing up when he shot him

Some of this evidence is disputed, but there is also evidence that the prosecution tried to rush to judgment. Allegedly, the bullet in Kennedy’s brain did not have the striations or markings indicating it came from Sirhan’s gun, and people interviewed claimed the prosecution lied about this. Much of the original evidence was destroyed—e.g., the door frame which contained several bullet holes, and was thus prime evidence that more than eight shots were fired, was burned. There was a famous “woman in a polka dot dress” who, according to a witness who worked for Kennedy, ran down a flight of stairs with a man shortly after the murder, and told the witness “we shot Kennedy”. While she later retracted her story, she claimed she was pressured to do so, and in fact, other witnesses, never found again, made the same claim to a LAPD officer at the time. (Though why anyone would confess to a crime they were trying to get away with...?) A security guard who had a gun and was positioned right behind Kennedy claimed that his gun did not correspond to the one indicated by the bullets, but it was later found that he lied when he said he didn’t possess a gun of the right type.

It's incontrovertible that Sirhan did shoot at Kennedy, so if he did not fire the fatal shot, who did? With all the witnesses present in a relatively small space, how could someone else have fired at Kennedy, and not have been noticed? In addition to the security guard, there were two others who apparently had guns and were right behind Kennedy, but none was ever charged. Sirhan himself AFAIK has never claimed that he knew anyone else was involved, forcing second shooter theorists to create a wild Manchurian candidate theory that he was hypnotized to shoot and act as the fall guy.
Merckx index

19 Nov 2018 03:55

There was no second shooter
Unchained

19 Nov 2018 04:17

Regardless, who cares? In the sense that how would that resolution help you?
aphronesis
Veteran

19 Nov 2018 06:09

Finland's President says..surprise..Trump is wrong..raking forests is not a wildfire solution.
.and as far as bird dogging..a sound in a bush..
was anybody else on the grassy knoll?
Don't let Donnie hear or we will have Mueller redirected to Texas to take foot and finger prints ..that's not a joke..
I can imagine Trump having resources dispatched to locate 2,3rd shooter..I can see Devin Nunes having DNA tests done on Hillary..or maybe gunpowder residue tests ..
We launch into phase 2..ask questions get no answers..
Now ask through a supenea
Our President doesn't listen to professional voices..The CIA didn't play golf..didn't tweet..they worked and concluded a guy was murdered at the Saudi embassy w a bone saw..the body is lost..
People who prevent and fight fires for a living..people who study them find him funny w his simplicity.
And he says he was overbooked..underslept..poor weather..couldn't get a ride..everything else for not participating in Veterans Day ceremonies..something smells...
We need jobs filled everywhere..not just judges ..
Don't play golf..don't hire or fire immediate office jobs..fill out ambassador jobs everywhere.don't tel! sex jokes..ever..don't threaten any communities aid after a disaster..hurricane..flood..fire..get out of the way..
Try and save money by being truthful..start with healthcare and the census..the data is there no reason to swim upstream..
* Donald look at Idaho...what did they do w healthcare? What do they want?why?
Do people want a complete do over? If not get busy..ask around..check the vote counts for health care
Unchained

19 Nov 2018 06:37

After Warren Buffert saved GE in 2008 (see https://money.cnn.com/2008/10/01/news/companies/buffett_ge/ ) things have been far from plain sailing. Now,
https://www.axios.com/general-electric-ge-stock-value-drop-171e4fac-f1e8-455d-ad32-7d2dbc4d99c6.html
No one's shedding any tears for speculators like Nelson Peltz, who has lost some $700 million on his GE bet. But GE bondholders are a different matter. GE has a total debt of $115 billion, including $100 billion of long-term bonds. That's more than its market capitalization.

The once unthinkable — a GE default — is now very thinkable. The company, which had a triple-A credit rating as recently as 2015, is already trading at junk levels.

- In a sign of how desperate GE is for cash, it announced this week that it's selling Baker Hughes, its oilfield services unit. That's not the kind of thing that a healthy company would do while U.S. oil prices are on a record losing streak.

The bottom line: GE Capital needs at least $20 billion in new funds, and perhaps significantly more, according to a research note put out by Goldman Sachs this week. Goldman also raised questions about GE's insurance and power operations.

Why it matters: GE is far from insolvent, but it's definitely in trouble. If its $100 billion of debt got downgraded to junk status, the effect on the credit markets could be seismic.

What'll happen to GE? Any profitable bits will be sold off and then?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-16/ge-in-crisis-four-ways-it-could-end-for-a-u-s-industrial-icon

User avatar Robert5091

19 Nov 2018 12:12

yeegads
Retired Adm. William McRaven on Sunday stood by his previous statement that President Donald Trump's attacks on the news media represent "the greatest threat to democracy" after the President dismissed him as a "Hillary Clinton backer" in an interview that aired on Fox News.

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else," McRaven, who oversaw the operation that killed Osama bin Laden, told CNN. "I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times."

Is there any limit to this fool's ignorance? Every time trump opens his mouth or takes out his hand held brain cell, he makes a fool of himself.
"OK, he's a Hilary Clinton backer and an Obama-backer, and frankly ... wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that? Wouldn't it have been nice? You know, living — think of this — living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan."

trump is such an incredible idiot..

https://www.news18.com/news/world/trump-dismisses-navy-seal-who-hunted-down-osama-bin-laden-as-hillary-backer-1942951.html
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

19 Nov 2018 14:48

Trump gave himself an A+ job rating for job performance..Trump also stood in the devastated community of Paradise..but Trump didn't know where he was he called the town Pleasure..incorrectly..not once but twice before being helped w the name while on camera for the interview..
He simply doesn't pay attention to any detail on anything..we are all paying for it..
Unchained

PreviousNext

Return to General