Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

20 Feb 2019 23:14

rhubroma wrote:
aphronesis wrote:In many ways I agree with you. This could be seen coming well before Trump. In some ways I don’t care in that isms aren’t my thing.

The military remains a constant but its ability to make war is considerably different. Is that due to the differences between the mercantile and financialized state? In part. Same with transformations in rights, profiling, surveillance, etc. There it’s more a difference of surveillance then vs. control now.

And now there’s no Marxist or otherwise organized class hatred. (Actually I saw an article last night that Marxism has to also leave white males to find new cogency. Banks then could fail. Not now.

And the current exploitation is biopolitical/biotechnological.

It’s not just semantics or terminology, I think these differences play out differently.

But maybe your long view will hold in some years. Either way the trajectory will get clarified.


I have no long view to hold. I'd say, to the bold, militarily speaking we need to become accustomed to more or less proxy wars, for the market and finance, against third world countries we can bludgeon, or else to contain our rivals, in the name of democracy, to avoid armageddon. So long as that's viable.


Undoubtedly.

Re. flags

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/20/florida-boy-arrested-refused-pledge-of-allegiance-school

I was only thrown out of homeroom, but those were gentler times (not that I remember the 80s as such).

And there’s this

https://www.amazon.com/How-Fascism-Works-Politics-Them/dp/0525511830/ref=aw_m_crc_mrai_2_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0525511830&pd_rd_r=A52HB7PZGXM6VZ402N56&pd_rd_w=6MaPS&pd_rd_wg=OI8Vn&pf_rd_p=cfbb6ace-c97b-4a62-a9da-5b8b77bdabea&pf_rd_r=A52HB7PZGXM6VZ402N56&psc=1&refRID=A52HB7PZGXM6VZ402N56
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

21 Feb 2019 00:30

I think that many posters here know little to nothing about some American standards.often tossing in names of famous writers,philosophers or existing or failed forms of government.

Americans don't read, history is not taught in our schools so it is far fetched that most of America knows what a Nietzsche is or was..neo fascist? or who or what Marx is ..most Americans think Mussolini is a desert served at high end Italian restaurants. Could America benefit from the teachings of Nietzsche?for certain..
Tocqueville ? Absolutely
This high thinking assuming is what got Trump in and what will return him.
Democrats are already off message saying things like socialism, progressive and other forms of branding..the subdivision within the party is paydirt for Trump..
Government health care is not widely accepted as mainstream..sorry Bernie that's wrong and fake news.
And taking all the money from the rich once you gain control of the government is not progressive..sorry again fake news.
Protecting the principals behind American rights are not the same as human rights in the American minds eye..helping possible travelers and non citizens while vivid examples of obvious need are everywhere are unpopular.*ask an American what percentage of GDP goes to foreign aid..
Pretending that America is completely comfortable with sex in all it's forms is silly. Some level of disconnected delusion..not everyone knows a transgender person or knows what that means.
Skipping over everything and going on about only the political and legal issues made middle America scared. People at every level of government..down to school boards and little leagues having meeting after meeting about bathroom use and child rape and molestation..all the way to Congress. All as part of an LGBTQ discussion..
The mention of some topics puts a huge population into hysteria..

The Democrats better start using quotes from Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney or Kenny Rogers..better connect with all of America instead of urban costal..
If you want to see how it's done ask Donald..pick an enemy..socialist Venezuela..tell stories,show pictures of bad..play arguments between leaders,show hungry people and some photos of unused food w USA and American flags on the containers..easy story for America to understand..and back the president and government on resolving..
Bernies message is abstract at best for most of America..the Democrats don't stand for anything currently..
And to the Euros here..we don't have free school,we don't have free health care,we don't have vacations,we don't have unions or work contracts and we don't have any social programs like "kindergeld" or anything similar..
We just had @2.5 million people out of work for 35 days and people were in bread lines,fragile is a way of life..
Globalization scares everyone but really really scared America
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,294
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

21 Feb 2019 00:55

Add to that these same people can't comprehend Scandinavian socialism that works very well.

Most Americans are one paycheck away from bankruptcy and that is the middle class. Forget any kind of medical emergency. Our new tax code is a complete disaster. I haven't actually started ours because I'm stilling waiting on one more document (I-9 which the company got an extension for and I won't get until next month). I have looked at the forms and they are now even MORE complicated than they were before and they were bad enough before. I probably should just print out my Schedule C form and do it since I have all the paperwork I need for it and that thing will give anyone a headache. Yes my taxes are somewhat complicated due to doing some independent contractor work. However, the new tax code has at minimum doubled my paperwork for taxes and I don't even itemize to begin with. Oh and for those taxes, we really do not get anything in return for what we pay. At least from what I can tell in Europe, Europeans actually get something in return for the taxes they pay.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,242
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

21 Feb 2019 01:13

Unchained wrote:I think that many posters here know little to nothing about some American standards.often tossing in names of famous writers,philosophers or existing or failed forms of government.

Americans don't read, history is not taught in our schools so it is far fetched that most of America knows what a Nietzsche is or was..neo fascist? or who or what Marx is ..most Americans think Mussolini is a desert served at high end Italian restaurants. Could America benefit from the teachings of Nietzsche?for certain..
Tocqueville ? Absolutely
This high thinking assuming is what got Trump in and what will return him.
Democrats are already off message saying things like socialism, progressive and other forms of branding..the subdivision within the party is paydirt for Trump..
Government health care is not widely accepted as mainstream..sorry Bernie that's wrong and fake news.
And taking all the money from the rich once you gain control of the government is not progressive..sorry again fake news.
Protecting the principals behind American rights are not the same as human rights in the American minds eye..helping possible travelers and non citizens while vivid examples of obvious need are everywhere are unpopular.*ask an American what percentage of GDP goes to foreign aid..
Pretending that America is completely comfortable with sex in all it's forms is silly. Some level of disconnected delusion..not everyone knows a transgender person or knows what that means.
Skipping over everything and going on about only the political and legal issues made middle America scared. People at every level of government..down to school boards and little leagues having meeting after meeting about bathroom use and child rape and molestation..all the way to Congress. All as part of an LGBTQ discussion..
The mention of some topics puts a huge population into hysteria..

The Democrats better start using quotes from Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney or Kenny Rogers..better connect with all of America instead of urban costal..
If you want to see how it's done ask Donald..pick an enemy..socialist Venezuela..tell stories,show pictures of bad..play arguments between leaders,show hungry people and some photos of unused food w USA and American flags on the containers..easy story for America to understand..and back the president and government on resolving..
Bernies message is abstract at best for most of America..the Democrats don't stand for anything currently..
And to the Euros here..we don't have free school,we don't have free health care,we don't have vacations,we don't have unions or work contracts and we don't have any social programs like "kindergeld" or anything similar..
We just had @2.5 million people out of work for 35 days and people were in bread lines,fragile is a way of life..
Globalization scares everyone but really really scared America


Well as long as you cling to that it will continue. Some posters. I had grandparents as blue collar as you get: Hostess truck driver, cafeteria server. Good way to keep deflecting blame though. If Americans don’t read, why do you think that is? Too busy trying to earn 10 million dollars?

Oh, it’s abstract, abstract. I’d rather spend my years whining than grapple with abstraction.

As to Nietzsche, well people could be self pitying sacks and say, what? Or they could get curious about the fact that someone 130 or so years ago in a different country with similar economic and imperial challenges described the psychologies of that time and this. From there they might start to wonder if so many of the things they find unique and personal might ultimately be repeatable. Even alterable. Or you could babble about the Kardashians I guess.

Or the price of tacos and chamber maids near the border. Apparently the era of trying to learn about things one doesn't know if truly past. How many years have you been pounding obvious sand for the plight of the common man, feeling sorry (for the self) rather than fighting?
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

Re:

21 Feb 2019 03:27

Koronin wrote:Add to that these same people can't comprehend Scandinavian socialism that works very well.

Most Americans are one paycheck away from bankruptcy and that is the middle class. Forget any kind of medical emergency. Our new tax code is a complete disaster. I haven't actually started ours because I'm stilling waiting on one more document (I-9 which the company got an extension for and I won't get until next month). I have looked at the forms and they are now even MORE complicated than they were before and they were bad enough before. I probably should just print out my Schedule C form and do it since I have all the paperwork I need for it and that thing will give anyone a headache. Yes my taxes are somewhat complicated due to doing some independent contractor work. However, the new tax code has at minimum doubled my paperwork for taxes and I don't even itemize to begin with. Oh and for those taxes, we really do not get anything in return for what we pay. At least from what I can tell in Europe, Europeans actually get something in return for the taxes they pay.


Oh, but you do get something in return: the most destructive and potent armed force the world has ever seen and corporate socialism to enrich the boards of directors and shareholders. And conservatives say America will never have socialism.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,706
Joined: 02 Apr 2009 14:31

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2019 03:42

aphronesis wrote:
rhubroma wrote:
aphronesis wrote:In many ways I agree with you. This could be seen coming well before Trump. In some ways I don’t care in that isms aren’t my thing.

The military remains a constant but its ability to make war is considerably different. Is that due to the differences between the mercantile and financialized state? In part. Same with transformations in rights, profiling, surveillance, etc. There it’s more a difference of surveillance then vs. control now.

And now there’s no Marxist or otherwise organized class hatred. (Actually I saw an article last night that Marxism has to also leave white males to find new cogency. Banks then could fail. Not now.

And the current exploitation is biopolitical/biotechnological.

It’s not just semantics or terminology, I think these differences play out differently.

But maybe your long view will hold in some years. Either way the trajectory will get clarified.


I have no long view to hold. I'd say, to the bold, militarily speaking we need to become accustomed to more or less proxy wars, for the market and finance, against third world countries we can bludgeon, or else to contain our rivals, in the name of democracy, to avoid armageddon. So long as that's viable.


Undoubtedly.

Re. flags

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/20/florida-boy-arrested-refused-pledge-of-allegiance-school

I was only thrown out of homeroom, but those were gentler times (not that I remember the 80s as such).

And there’s this

https://www.amazon.com/How-Fascism-Works-Politics-Them/dp/0525511830/ref=aw_m_crc_mrai_2_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0525511830&pd_rd_r=A52HB7PZGXM6VZ402N56&pd_rd_w=6MaPS&pd_rd_wg=OI8Vn&pf_rd_p=cfbb6ace-c97b-4a62-a9da-5b8b77bdabea&pf_rd_r=A52HB7PZGXM6VZ402N56&psc=1&refRID=A52HB7PZGXM6VZ402N56


"The greater danger, he suggests, isn’t hyperbole, it’s normalization."
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,706
Joined: 02 Apr 2009 14:31

Re:

21 Feb 2019 03:58

Unchained wrote:I think that many posters here know little to nothing about some American standards.often tossing in names of famous writers,philosophers or existing or failed forms of government.

Americans don't read, history is not taught in our schools so it is far fetched that most of America knows what a Nietzsche is or was..neo fascist? or who or what Marx is ..most Americans think Mussolini is a desert served at high end Italian restaurants. Could America benefit from the teachings of Nietzsche?for certain..
Tocqueville ? Absolutely
This high thinking assuming is what got Trump in and what will return him.
Democrats are already off message saying things like socialism, progressive and other forms of branding..the subdivision within the party is paydirt for Trump..
Government health care is not widely accepted as mainstream..sorry Bernie that's wrong and fake news.
And taking all the money from the rich once you gain control of the government is not progressive..sorry again fake news.
Protecting the principals behind American rights are not the same as human rights in the American minds eye..helping possible travelers and non citizens while vivid examples of obvious need are everywhere are unpopular.*ask an American what percentage of GDP goes to foreign aid..
Pretending that America is completely comfortable with sex in all it's forms is silly. Some level of disconnected delusion..not everyone knows a transgender person or knows what that means.
Skipping over everything and going on about only the political and legal issues made middle America scared. People at every level of government..down to school boards and little leagues having meeting after meeting about bathroom use and child rape and molestation..all the way to Congress. All as part of an LGBTQ discussion..
The mention of some topics puts a huge population into hysteria..

The Democrats better start using quotes from Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney or Kenny Rogers..better connect with all of America instead of urban costal..
If you want to see how it's done ask Donald..pick an enemy..socialist Venezuela..tell stories,show pictures of bad..play arguments between leaders,show hungry people and some photos of unused food w USA and American flags on the containers..easy story for America to understand..and back the president and government on resolving..
Bernies message is abstract at best for most of America..the Democrats don't stand for anything currently..
And to the Euros here..we don't have free school,we don't have free health care,we don't have vacations,we don't have unions or work contracts and we don't have any social programs like "kindergeld" or anything similar..
We just had @2.5 million people out of work for 35 days and people were in bread lines,fragile is a way of life..
Globalization scares everyone but really really scared America


This is why education is dangerous to US democracy and why the schools shall continue to be underfunded, the curriculums woefully difficient in promoting historical literacy and critical thought, while every form of state funded corporate entertainment/consumer diversion, the weapons of mass distraction, gets contrived to fill the existential void.

Although I consider myself down in the trenches trying to do my small part in offering youth a possible means toward their mental emancipation, however insignificant to the greater scheme you bring up this may be.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,706
Joined: 02 Apr 2009 14:31

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2019 04:14

rhubroma wrote:
Koronin wrote:Add to that these same people can't comprehend Scandinavian socialism that works very well.

Most Americans are one paycheck away from bankruptcy and that is the middle class. Forget any kind of medical emergency. Our new tax code is a complete disaster. I haven't actually started ours because I'm stilling waiting on one more document (I-9 which the company got an extension for and I won't get until next month). I have looked at the forms and they are now even MORE complicated than they were before and they were bad enough before. I probably should just print out my Schedule C form and do it since I have all the paperwork I need for it and that thing will give anyone a headache. Yes my taxes are somewhat complicated due to doing some independent contractor work. However, the new tax code has at minimum doubled my paperwork for taxes and I don't even itemize to begin with. Oh and for those taxes, we really do not get anything in return for what we pay. At least from what I can tell in Europe, Europeans actually get something in return for the taxes they pay.


Oh, but you do get something in return: the most destructive and potent armed force the world has ever seen and corporate socialism to enrich the boards of directors and shareholders. And conservatives say America will never have socialism.



I'd prefer to have what Europeans have for their taxes. Much more useful.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,242
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2019 04:23

Koronin wrote:
rhubroma wrote:
Koronin wrote:Add to that these same people can't comprehend Scandinavian socialism that works very well.

Most Americans are one paycheck away from bankruptcy and that is the middle class. Forget any kind of medical emergency. Our new tax code is a complete disaster. I haven't actually started ours because I'm stilling waiting on one more document (I-9 which the company got an extension for and I won't get until next month). I have looked at the forms and they are now even MORE complicated than they were before and they were bad enough before. I probably should just print out my Schedule C form and do it since I have all the paperwork I need for it and that thing will give anyone a headache. Yes my taxes are somewhat complicated due to doing some independent contractor work. However, the new tax code has at minimum doubled my paperwork for taxes and I don't even itemize to begin with. Oh and for those taxes, we really do not get anything in return for what we pay. At least from what I can tell in Europe, Europeans actually get something in return for the taxes they pay.


Oh, but you do get something in return: the most destructive and potent armed force the world has ever seen and corporate socialism to enrich the boards of directors and shareholders. And conservatives say America will never have socialism.



I'd prefer to have what Europeans have for their taxes. Much more useful.


Austerity measures and the bonds war within Europe, however, are slowly eroding the social state. And America wouldn't be the empire iit has become otherwise, which always was the priority, Americans themselves largely having been OK with it, or rather patriotically moved by it.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,706
Joined: 02 Apr 2009 14:31

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2019 04:37

rhubroma wrote:
Koronin wrote:
rhubroma wrote:
Koronin wrote:Add to that these same people can't comprehend Scandinavian socialism that works very well.

Most Americans are one paycheck away from bankruptcy and that is the middle class. Forget any kind of medical emergency. Our new tax code is a complete disaster. I haven't actually started ours because I'm stilling waiting on one more document (I-9 which the company got an extension for and I won't get until next month). I have looked at the forms and they are now even MORE complicated than they were before and they were bad enough before. I probably should just print out my Schedule C form and do it since I have all the paperwork I need for it and that thing will give anyone a headache. Yes my taxes are somewhat complicated due to doing some independent contractor work. However, the new tax code has at minimum doubled my paperwork for taxes and I don't even itemize to begin with. Oh and for those taxes, we really do not get anything in return for what we pay. At least from what I can tell in Europe, Europeans actually get something in return for the taxes they pay.


Oh, but you do get something in return: the most destructive and potent armed force the world has ever seen and corporate socialism to enrich the boards of directors and shareholders. And conservatives say America will never have socialism.



I'd prefer to have what Europeans have for their taxes. Much more useful.


Austerity measures and the bonds war within Europe, however, are slowly eroding the social state. And America wouldn't be the empire iit has become otherwise, which always was the priority, Americans themselves largely having been OK with it, or rather patriotically moved by it.



I think in general the younger generations aren't as happy with it as the older generations. Also many Americans seem to think that Europeans pay much higher taxes, which is incorrect esp when you start adding in how much we pay for health insurance. The American population was sold a bill of goods.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,242
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

21 Feb 2019 07:23

Koronin wrote:
rhubroma wrote:
Koronin wrote:
rhubroma wrote:
Koronin wrote:Add to that these same people can't comprehend Scandinavian socialism that works very well.

Most Americans are one paycheck away from bankruptcy and that is the middle class. Forget any kind of medical emergency. Our new tax code is a complete disaster. I haven't actually started ours because I'm stilling waiting on one more document (I-9 which the company got an extension for and I won't get until next month). I have looked at the forms and they are now even MORE complicated than they were before and they were bad enough before. I probably should just print out my Schedule C form and do it since I have all the paperwork I need for it and that thing will give anyone a headache. Yes my taxes are somewhat complicated due to doing some independent contractor work. However, the new tax code has at minimum doubled my paperwork for taxes and I don't even itemize to begin with. Oh and for those taxes, we really do not get anything in return for what we pay. At least from what I can tell in Europe, Europeans actually get something in return for the taxes they pay.


Oh, but you do get something in return: the most destructive and potent armed force the world has ever seen and corporate socialism to enrich the boards of directors and shareholders. And conservatives say America will never have socialism.



I'd prefer to have what Europeans have for their taxes. Much more useful.


Austerity measures and the bonds war within Europe, however, are slowly eroding the social state. And America wouldn't be the empire iit has become otherwise, which always was the priority, Americans themselves largely having been OK with it, or rather patriotically moved by it.



I think in general the younger generations aren't as happy with it as the older generations. Also many Americans seem to think that Europeans pay much higher taxes, which is incorrect esp when you start adding in how much we pay for health insurance. The American population was sold a bill of goods.


Well I guess that depends on what young Americans are no longer happy with. A future in which US empire will have less global impact, or the prospect for many of low wage, dehumanizing work that hardly will cover student loan repayments, let alone a two garage home and a 4wheel drive sedan for family vacations at the national parks?
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,706
Joined: 02 Apr 2009 14:31

Re:

21 Feb 2019 09:14

macbindle wrote:
The Hitch wrote:
macbindle wrote::lol: Yeah, I expect you think they were "classic liberals", which is the euphemism the far right is using currently.

Having watched a number of Peterson and Harris videos, my YouTube page is now flooded with the sort of sh1te you watch. I see where you get all your ideas from.
.


Strange response. Have you heard anything about Smolette in the last week?

Basically, it was the wrong example for you to use to try to beat me over the head about how wrong I am to question the rising fascism in the US narrative.

In fact its kind of the opposite. Shows more the fabricated hysteria side to this "rising far right fascist American" boogeyman. :o

But you want to talk about Harris and Peterson more all of a sudden? And then you try to bait me by calling classical liberals far right? All in such a short post? It's almost as if you were trying to push exactly the right buttons that would annoy. Thrown into a mini grenade instead of addressing the incident.

And I get it. You do not want talk about Smolette. :lol:



Ok, I've just had a hunt and found out that the police suspect Smollet may have staged the attack.



And the Smolet case keeps progressing. Its funny though how some people blur fiction with reality.

Smolett facing felony arrest and charges after it turns out he faked the attack = "I just found out that the police suspect Smollet may have staged the attack".

Great job on squeezing in all those qualifiers.

Meanwhile, last month, lots of evidence emerges that the original Covington narrative was false = I won't watch the evidence, those kids must be guilty because (3 of them wore maga hats?). They are neo fascists ! :o

Different standards for different people I guess.

But maybe Smolet is still innocent. Lets keep the qualifiers up.
He hasn't been proven guilty in court yet therefore that must mean he is 100% innocent. Now where do I remember this logic from?
Image
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,060
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

Re:

21 Feb 2019 09:19

Bit of a backpedal here lol

macbindle wrote:I think the other point to make is that the neo-nazis marching in Charlottesville were not a figment of the imagination.


macbindle wrote:@RF

With regards to Charlottesville, The Hitch was trying to downplay the significance of the events because it was two years ago.


The Hitch said neither of these 2 things.

But funny how when called out on it, - it was a figment of the imagination, quickly backtracks to - he was trying to downplay.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,060
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

21 Feb 2019 09:21

Go back and read your own posts ;)

Besides, Smollet isnt hugely relevant unless you are trying to argue from a specific to a generality...which of course you are. You should read the last post I made with a link to reports on the growth of hate crimes in the US. Countering the point that there is a rise in hate crimes by pointing out one dishonest example has no bearing at all on the others. It's like some sort of cheap trick employed by tabloid newspapers to trick the barely literate.

To be honest I'm not sure what your argument is here on this board. You don't seem to have one that is coherent. I cant see anything of value in your posts. They are badly written, ill thought through and lack any sort of cogent flow. Your stock in trade os exagerrating what others have said into a positionyou can attack. Id welcome you presenting intelligent points that challenge my views, but you dont. All we get is twitter-style polarised crap and meme photos. What is your argument? Perhaps you could take all the personal crap out of it and just lay down your argument in plain terms without mentioning names of other posters. "This is what I think and here is the evidence to support it"...you know, really basic sort of stuff.

Go on, have a go. Bet you can't.

*The Charlottesville quote (top one) was not about you. Not everything I post needs to be about you. You need to get over this.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,540
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

21 Feb 2019 12:11

aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

Re:

21 Feb 2019 12:52

Unchained wrote:I think that many posters here know little to nothing about some American standards.often tossing in names of famous writers,philosophers or existing or failed forms of government.

Americans don't read, history is not taught in our schools so it is far fetched that most of America knows what a Nietzsche is or was..neo fascist? or who or what Marx is ..most Americans think Mussolini is a desert served at high end Italian restaurants. Could America benefit from the teachings of Nietzsche?for certain..
Tocqueville ? Absolutely
This high thinking assuming is what got Trump in and what will return him.
Democrats are already off message saying things like socialism, progressive and other forms of branding..the subdivision within the party is paydirt for Trump..
Government health care is not widely accepted as mainstream..sorry Bernie that's wrong and fake news.
And taking all the money from the rich once you gain control of the government is not progressive..sorry again fake news.
Protecting the principals behind American rights are not the same as human rights in the American minds eye..helping possible travelers and non citizens while vivid examples of obvious need are everywhere are unpopular.*ask an American what percentage of GDP goes to foreign aid..
Pretending that America is completely comfortable with sex in all it's forms is silly. Some level of disconnected delusion..not everyone knows a transgender person or knows what that means.
Skipping over everything and going on about only the political and legal issues made middle America scared. People at every level of government..down to school boards and little leagues having meeting after meeting about bathroom use and child rape and molestation..all the way to Congress. All as part of an LGBTQ discussion..
The mention of some topics puts a huge population into hysteria..

The Democrats better start using quotes from Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney or Kenny Rogers..better connect with all of America instead of urban costal..
If you want to see how it's done ask Donald..pick an enemy..socialist Venezuela..tell stories,show pictures of bad..play arguments between leaders,show hungry people and some photos of unused food w USA and American flags on the containers..easy story for America to understand..and back the president and government on resolving..
Bernies message is abstract at best for most of America..the Democrats don't stand for anything currently..
And to the Euros here..we don't have free school,we don't have free health care,we don't have vacations,we don't have unions or work contracts and we don't have any social programs like "kindergeld" or anything similar..
We just had @2.5 million people out of work for 35 days and people were in bread lines,fragile is a way of life..
Globalization scares everyone but really really scared America


Let’s come back to this. This is the legacy of the Bush years: “I’m dumb so everyone has to act dumb so I don’t feel bad about myself. I’m not transgender so they get no rights because where are my extra rights? I don’t know anything about foreign countries so they must be wrong, hostile or irrelevant; I only watch Roseanne and listen to Kid Rock so books don’t matter; Cars are freedom so the planet is irrelevant; Middle American values are honest values, so what if our diet causes obesity, disease and premature death? At least some educated liberal isn’t telling me how to eat; Pesticides, antibiotics, cancer? So what?; Me, me, me; I’m stupid and selfish and I want to stay that way.”

This is the mentality that elected Trump and you now echo it in every other post. Like most people on either side too busy and self-absorbed to look at the big picture without yourself in it; rather marvel at your own chatter than read. May as well stop complaining about him and join the 2020 reelection campaign effort. Making philosophical references here to someone who gets them is not the same as canvasing and discussing issues.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

21 Feb 2019 16:20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3NvnOUcG-ZI

Aphro. here is another component of my self absorption.
Doesn't need to be read..but instead just watched, pondered and then further explored by the general public and people they elect.
.Most of politics for Americans is about streets,schools,plumbing,electricity. You elect a person to dispense tax money for bridges, stop signs and pot holes..you trust that the elected officials will allocate resources to adequately protect the public w police and fire departments..
People don't read because they don't have to..from the top down subject matter experts are being replaced with "common sense" or " guy feelings " on subjects as detailed as nuclear weapons and power.
People have deferred science to the physically obvious..can I see micro plastics in water and wildlife? Can..I..see plastic in fish flesh? And we allowed Palin to say she could see Russia from her yard ..now we have millions in our country that say if ..they don't see melting glaciers that the melting is made up..fake news from liberals and their media.
Reading stopped w Bush?
Part of reality may have ,but the decline of reading probably has more to do a electricity..radio,TV and internet porn..
This all plays well for Trump..Nancy Pelosi told Trump that she would act on fact based solutions for border security but since making the statement has allowed dastardly Donald to do more dumb things based on emotion alone.
When he had majorities, he didn't do borders or health care..and called out conservatism, but is spending money like a drunken sailor. All the while shrinking revenues.?
If you look everywhere but Congress you will hear that @7 million are @90+delinquent on auto loan payments. The 35 day shutdown disaster was a teaching moment..why don't people have money for food and medicines? Forget about rent,car payments,tuition or mortgage.
..food?why don't people have money for food?
You are right..a do over would be swell..
So the points on your progressive graph elude me? From Trump to guaranteed income for all? Where is the start? Forget the finish,I will settle for a starting point.
If Nancy Pelosi won't read why should anybody else? Fact based health care, fact based border security, fact based foreign policy..
When Mike Pence showed up with boxes and bags filled with emotion, other world leaders must sat there waiting for facts, when no facts were offered..no applause
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,294
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

21 Feb 2019 16:39

I don’t watch youtube videos. Much in the way that I don’t interact with negative, self-pitying people who would rather dwell on what’s not good because they can’t imagine what could be.

It’s boring and kills the vibe.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

21 Feb 2019 17:21

So your starting point to universal health care and guaranteed income is all dependant on imagination..
That is a good place to start..I will watch for progress.

And remember that none us know if you like cat videos, but if your version of high brow superiority is to let everyone know that YouTube is below elite standards you maintain..cool.
I for one feel lucky that Cycling News has made your best of the best list.I feel smarter and more informed and progressive by you allowing me to share your hallowed space. Thank you.
So a trip to YouTube = dumb?
my recent pumpkin bread says your wrong but love to hear your take..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,294
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

21 Feb 2019 17:34

No, the starting point is a lack of negativity.Imagination helps though since everything created starts as a fiction. You introduced the word stupid a few days ago. Not me. Similarly you seem content to cling to negative fictions and reaffirm their truth.

I don’t claim the space is hallowed but if people want to spend days arguing about something that can be summed up in two or three sentences and folded into larger problematics rather than micro siloed into infinity, that’s how they spend their time.

Videos are nothing to do with high brow or elite. They're passive. Period. Everything in your post is you. Not me. You want to keep complaining about the same things after 40, 50 some years of life. That’s you. I have better things to do. No class, elite judgments in there unless you need to have them.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Back to top