Register

Research on Belief in God

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Research on Belief in God

07 Dec 2009 04:45

Hello Everybody !!

University of Oxford researchers are to spend $2 m. in a 3 year programme to determine why mankind believe in God. Faith in God is universal human impulse found in most cultures, though it has been waning in western Europe.
Thanks.
lovejenete
Newly Registered Member

07 Dec 2009 07:50

lovejenete wrote:Hello Everybody !!

University of Oxford researchers are to spend $2 m. in a 3 year programme to determine why mankind believe in God. Faith in God is universal human impulse found in most cultures, though it has been waning in western Europe.
Thanks.

Yet another Armstrong thread! Enough is enough already.
User avatar frenchfry

07 Dec 2009 07:58

frenchfry wrote:Yet another Armstrong thread! Enough is enough already.

hahahahaha:D
User avatar gregod

07 Dec 2009 08:01

Researchers will be using this piece of precision scientific equipment.

"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

07 Dec 2009 12:07

I sense bot at the head of the thread
[color="SlateGray"]Stand on my dog and I'll cut your head off[/color]

'Only once did clenbuterol show up in 83,203 animal samples tested by EU countries in 2008 and 2009, says the European Commission's directorate for health and consumer policy. Spain tested 19,431 samples in those years; none was positive for the drug.'
User avatar scribe

07 Dec 2009 16:05

The God Part Of The Brain and The God Gene are selling very well here in the US. I have not read either.
fatandfast

07 Dec 2009 16:12

scribe wrote:I sense bot at the head of the thread

But The Bot Is Not Trying To Sell Anything - It Is Very Very Confusing :confused::confused: Well Bot Or No Bot - Is It True? Will That Much Money Be Spent On This??
User avatar workingclasshero

07 Dec 2009 16:19

I've really been back and forth on deleting this person's posts. They don't have any commerical content or link, so I can't do it for those reasons. On the other hand, they don't make a lot of sense, either.

Susan
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

07 Dec 2009 16:46

Am I at the right forum? CYCLING NEWS right?
[color="Blue"][font="Arial Black"][/font][/color]"FOUR WHEELS MOVE THE BODY,TWO WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL"
User avatar cyclegeek

07 Dec 2009 17:02

cyclegeek wrote:Am I at the right forum? CYCLING NEWS right?

no [color="White"]no no no no[/color]

07 Dec 2009 17:44

Susan Westemeyer wrote:I've really been back and forth on deleting this person's posts. They don't have any commerical content or link, so I can't do it for those reasons. On the other hand, they don't make a lot of sense, either.

Susan

If you check the IP, you'll probably find they are located in India, etc. The only thing that I can figure is that they embed membership and posts into a forum, and then introduce keywords and links later to improve their google ranking.

Or it's just someone without a front lobe that likes to talk about mostly nothing. :D
[color="SlateGray"]Stand on my dog and I'll cut your head off[/color]

'Only once did clenbuterol show up in 83,203 animal samples tested by EU countries in 2008 and 2009, says the European Commission's directorate for health and consumer policy. Spain tested 19,431 samples in those years; none was positive for the drug.'
User avatar scribe

07 Dec 2009 17:54

lovejenete wrote:Hello Everybody !!

Thanks.

$2M! That's really cheap, a bargain if you ask me. A majority of the world particle physicists are looking for the so-called "God particle" (at least that's what Leon Lederman chose to name it in a best?-seller book) in multi-billion $ machines such as the Tevatron and the LHC.

This God particle, also named Higgs particle, was first proposed by Englert and Brout and wikipedia can tell you more about it. (Higgs, Englert and Brout are physicists)

God is a much shorter name that a trinity of names like Englert-Brout-Higgs and also more economical than father-son-holy spirit.

So, in a few years we will know if the God particle exists, if it is unique or a composite of several entities, or maybe does not exist at all, in which case Leon Lederman will no doubt want to replace it with an atheist particle of sorts.

If you read this far you have only yourself to blame.
Le breton

07 Dec 2009 18:13

Well they spend money researching other forms of mental illnesses why should this field be any different. Maybe they will develop a new medication to cure this form of delusion.
"One man's breath is another man's death."
Eddy Merckx
User avatar titan_90

07 Dec 2009 18:30

As Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) put it:"Man is the Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion..... several of them."
- "The Lowest Animal," 1897
Of course he also said "Oh, this infernal Human Race! I wish I had it in the Ark again--with an auger!" , so he may have just be bitter!
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

07 Dec 2009 19:20

Le breton wrote:$2M! That's really cheap, a bargain if you ask me. A majority of the world particle physicists are looking for the so-called "God particle" (at least that's what Leon Lederman chose to name it in a best?-seller book) in multi-billion $ machines such as the Tevatron and the LHC.

This God particle, also named Higgs particle, was first proposed by Englert and Brout and wikipedia can tell you more about it. (Higgs, Englert and Brout are physicists)

God is a much shorter name that a trinity of names like Englert-Brout-Higgs and also more economical than father-son-holy spirit.

So, in a few years we will know if the God particle exists, if it is unique or a composite of several entities, or maybe does not exist at all, in which case Leon Lederman will no doubt want to replace it with an atheist particle of sorts.

If you read this far you have only yourself to blame.

:o:o:o:o .

07 Dec 2009 22:30

fatandfast wrote:The God Part Of The Brain and The God Gene are selling very well here in the US. I have not read either.

I don't think you have to . . . That's the point!
Me loves me some starch...
User avatar Rice Daddy

08 Dec 2009 05:52

We should continue the gay enigma topic here as it was shut down by Susan:mad:
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

08 Dec 2009 06:03

auscyclefan94 wrote:We should continue the gay enigma topic here as it was shut down by Susan:mad:

Do you really thing that is such a good idea?

Susan
Administrator

08 Dec 2009 06:08

Susan Westemeyer wrote:Do you really thing that is such a good idea?

Susan

Susan, I was being sarcastic, when i saw that in the forum i first laughed my head off and secondly thought how stupid would someone be to start a thread up about that stuff. It was a joke. Don't get your knickers in a not.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

08 Dec 2009 07:30

auscyclefan94 wrote:Susan, I was being sarcastic, when i saw that in the forum i first laughed my head off and secondly thought how stupid would someone be to start a thread up about that stuff. It was a joke. Don't get your knickers in a not.

No problem, I don't take things here that seriously.

But remember: Big Sister is watching! ;)

Susan
Administrator

Next

Return to General