Register

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

28 Nov 2015 02:44

Good to see a pitch that isn't a total road for once, I expected more of the same from Perth TBH.

Also, interesting to see that Boult and Southee got the pink ball to swing at night. It's easier to see on TV than I expected too, but I hear that the crowd and outfielders are having some trouble around sunset.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

30 Nov 2015 03:59

42x16ss wrote:Good to see a pitch that isn't a total road for once, I expected more of the same from Perth TBH.

Also, interesting to see that Boult and Southee got the pink ball to swing at night. It's easier to see on TV than I expected too, but I hear that the crowd and outfielders are having some trouble around sunset.
I was having trouble seeing the ball. Can understand why Steve Smith was having troubles with the catching
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

07 Dec 2015 23:45

The Hobart pitch for the first test against the West Indies looks like it could be a raging green top! It would be great to see the Windies quicks wind it up, it's been too long between drinks for them. Sad to see what they have become, hopefully things can turn around for them.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

09 Dec 2015 12:36

42x16ss wrote:The Hobart pitch for the first test against the West Indies looks like it could be a raging green top! It would be great to see the Windies quicks wind it up, it's been too long between drinks for them. Sad to see what they have become, hopefully things can turn around for them.

their best sportsmen play american sports now, and go to college in the states. imagine tim duncan with the new ball. yeah i know, he was from bermuda or some other islands, not a traditional cricketing domocile
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re: Re:

10 Dec 2015 04:16

blackcat wrote:
42x16ss wrote:The Hobart pitch for the first test against the West Indies looks like it could be a raging green top! It would be great to see the Windies quicks wind it up, it's been too long between drinks for them. Sad to see what they have become, hopefully things can turn around for them.

their best sportsmen play american sports now, and go to college in the states. imagine tim duncan with the new ball. yeah i know, he was from bermuda or some other islands, not a traditional cricketing domocile

Or even Usain Bolt - he's pretty handy full stop. Interestingly cricket is starting to poke its nose in the door in the USA. Those legends games organised by Shane Warne all attracted crowds of 35000 plus. When you consider that there were no current players - only retired - there that's pretty impressive.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

10 Dec 2015 11:18

42x16ss wrote:
blackcat wrote:

Or even Usain Bolt - he's pretty handy full stop. Interestingly cricket is starting to poke its nose in the door in the USA. Those legends games organised by Shane Warne all attracted crowds of 35000 plus. When you consider that there were no current players - only retired - there that's pretty impressive.

It seems that cricket is getting a push in junior schools in the USA. Obviously migration is having an effect but I had to laugh with the story I watched. The coach of the school team had never played before and it looked a lot like backyard cricket but the kids were having fun. What I did not know is that cricket was played quite often in the USA presumably by the English before baseball took off, and then it just faded away.

The Hobart pitch does not seem to be as good as usual but the Windies are out of their depth. The writing was on the wall when they got beat in their lead up game by a team of young Aussies who are no slouches of course but Windies cricket seems to have fallen through the floor especially Test cricket. Did not seem to be many at the game. They might have to give away some tickets or do what the Chinese did in the Olympics and fill the stands with students !

I have no idea why the Windies did not take the new ball. The entire Channel Nine commentary team went silent they seemed dumbfounded by the decision when the team were needing wickets and Australia was 430 odd for 3 down !
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Dec 2015 01:15

movingtarget wrote:
It seems that cricket is getting a push in junior schools in the USA. Obviously migration is having an effect but I had to laugh with the story I watched. The coach of the school team had never played before and it looked a lot like backyard cricket but the kids were having fun. What I did not know is that cricket was played quite often in the USA presumably by the English before baseball took off, and then it just faded away.

The Hobart pitch does not seem to be as good as usual but the Windies are out of their depth. The writing was on the wall when they got beat in their lead up game by a team of young Aussies who are no slouches of co
urse but Windies cricket seems to have fallen through the floor especially Test cricket. Did not seem to be many at the game. They might have to give away some tickets or do what the Chinese did in the Olympics and fill the stands with students !

I have no idea why the Windies did not take the new ball. The entire Channel Nine commentary team went silent they seemed dumbfounded by the decision when the team were needing wickets and Australia was 430 odd for 3 down !
they thought the ball was reversing

(reverse swing)
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

11 Dec 2015 01:18

42x16ss wrote:Or even Usain Bolt - he's pretty handy full stop. Interestingly cricket is starting to poke its nose in the door in the USA. Those legends games organised by Shane Warne all attracted crowds of 35000 plus. When you consider that there were no current players - only retired - there that's pretty impressive.

well, you get Sachin Tendulkar anywhere and he will pull 100k, not 35k.

#contradiction
my contradiction.

Re: Usain Bolt. his favourite sportsman is Matty Hayden.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

21 Dec 2015 04:34

I'm going to say the same thing I said last summer.

When will the English selectors pull their heads out of their collective ar$es and just recall Pietersen? He put on an absolute masterclass (76 off 42) last night on a failing green top, in a losing side. Once again, it was just controlled, orthodox strokes, with perfect timing and raw power including 3 sixes and a four off one over from one of Australia's very best young up and coming quicks (Sandhu). West Indian international Andre Russell also went the journey. His straight drive was directly out of the textbook.

FFS he was even better than Khawaja and Faulkner, his skill is otherworldly.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

21 Dec 2015 16:54

42x16ss wrote:I'm going to say the same thing I said last summer.

When will the English selectors pull their heads out of their collective ar$es and just recall Pietersen? He put on an absolute masterclass (76 off 42) last night on a failing green top, in a losing side. Once again, it was just controlled, orthodox strokes, with perfect timing and raw power including 3 sixes and a four off one over from one of Australia's very best young up and coming quicks (Sandhu). West Indian international Andre Russell also went the journey. His straight drive was directly out of the textbook.

KP farkin G E N I U S.

the problem is, the new bats have now made him merely superior. Previously he was like Warnie, he was playing a different game
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

22 Dec 2015 08:53

blackcat wrote:
42x16ss wrote:I'm going to say the same thing I said last summer.

KP farkin G E N I U S.

the problem is, the new bats have now made him merely superior. Previously he was like Warnie, he was playing a different game

Kumar Sangakkara! :eek:

Consummate superstar.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

22 Dec 2015 14:26

42x16ss wrote:Kumar Sangakkara! :eek:

Consummate superstar.

Kumar is no KP
but he can Sledge with more brio and elan than any antipode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFF98dM8sA
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

22 Dec 2015 21:14

blackcat wrote:

Consummate superstar.

Kumar is no KP

Kumar is a slightly different player to KP. He wasn't the best bat last night - that was Tim Paine - but he hit 40 something off 30 and barely even broke a sweat, he still had two or three gears left. He almost looked bored.

If he didn't decide to start inventing shots he'd still be out there. Him, KP and possibly Ponting - best of their generation by a mile. Sangakkara is still underrated by many Australians.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

31 Dec 2015 06:29

While its too early in the series to draw too many conclusions im shocked at how poor South Africa were, I admit I didn't see a lot of their capitulation in India but I thought they would be much better on home soil. It also looks like Steyn will miss the Cape Town test which is another blow, but its the batting that is a big worry.

While the England batting line-up still looks a little vunerable they at least have guys like Compton, Root, Taylor and Bairstow who should score consistent runs. Putting 2 competitive totals on the board without Cook scoring many is a big plus too. With Jimmy Anderson looking likely to return it is good news all round for English cricket.
User avatar Pricey_sky

31 Dec 2015 15:19

42x16ss wrote:
blackcat wrote:

Consummate superstar.

Kumar is no KP

Kumar is a slightly different player to KP. He wasn't the best bat last night - that was Tim Paine - but he hit 40 something off 30 and barely even broke a sweat, he still had two or three gears left. He almost looked bored.

If he didn't decide to start inventing shots he'd still be out there. Him, KP and possibly Ponting - best of their generation by a mile. Sangakkara is still underrated by many Australians.

VVS was good too
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

01 Jan 2016 10:12

Pricey_sky wrote:While its too early in the series to draw too many conclusions im shocked at how poor South Africa were, I admit I didn't see a lot of their capitulation in India but I thought they would be much better on home soil. It also looks like Steyn will miss the Cape Town test which is another blow, but its the batting that is a big worry.

While the England batting line-up still looks a little vunerable they at least have guys like Compton, Root, Taylor and Bairstow who should score consistent runs. Putting 2 competitive totals on the board without Cook scoring many is a big plus too. With Jimmy Anderson looking likely to return it is good news all round for English cricket.

Apparently Steve Finn went on a rampage yesterday, was he rewarded through good pressure from the others, poor batting or did he bowl particularly well?
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

01 Jan 2016 17:40

42x16ss wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:While its too early in the series to draw too many conclusions im shocked at how poor South Africa were, I admit I didn't see a lot of their capitulation in India but I thought they would be much better on home soil. It also looks like Steyn will miss the Cape Town test which is another blow, but its the batting that is a big worry.

Apparently Steve Finn went on a rampage yesterday, was he rewarded through good pressure from the others, poor batting or did he bowl particularly well?

To be honest I've always been a fan of Finn, yes he can be expensive but he takes wickets. England have Broad and Anderson who are economical so Finn must be used as the impact bowler.

He bowled well in the first test and produced a great couple of spells on days 4/5 on what was a tough wicket to get anything out of. If Anderson returns tomorrow I hope it's for Woakes, I don't think Woakes is quite up to test match cricket yet.
User avatar Pricey_sky

02 Jan 2016 01:03

Good to see Jimmy back hopefully we can make it two nil but would like to see a more competitive match than the last test.
Eric10

03 Jan 2016 01:32

Interesting first day in Cape Town, just edged by England but if South Africa can restrict us to under 400 then they are right in the game. Good to see the West Indies doing better today and building on their last innings.
Eric10

03 Jan 2016 03:14

Pricey_sky wrote:
42x16ss wrote:

To be honest I've always been a fan of Finn, yes he can be expensive but he takes wickets. England have Broad and Anderson who are economical so Finn must be used as the impact bowler.

He bowled well in the first test and produced a great couple of spells on days 4/5 on what was a tough wicket to get anything out of. If Anderson returns tomorrow I hope it's for Woakes, I don't think Woakes is quite up to test match cricket yet.

Just wondering, because Finn is quick and has venom, but looked to lack control and patience when I've seen him in the past - a bit like a young Mitchell Johnson before he worked with Dennis Lillee.

IMHO Woakes has had far too many opportunities to show if he's test standard. He's close but not quite there, I'd drop him for Anderson as well. Good ODI player though.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General