Register

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

04 Aug 2015 06:06

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:Great performance by England, very nearly winning a test match inside 2 days against the best test side in cricket in a nice achievement.

The injury of Jimmy Anderson will be a huge blow though, especially at Trent bridge which usually swings, that being said Broad usually bowls well there so hopefully he wont be missed too much. The Aussies have got more things on their mind at the moment anyway.

This lot are not even close to the best test side. Batting line-up is short and what there is can't cope with movement.

On true decks with pace Australia are the best in the world and England struggle, on greener wickets where the ball moves in the air it's the other way around. Historically that has usually been the case with the late 80's to early 00's being the main exception to the rule.

Neither side are complete enough to be the top ranked side for long. I can see the balance going back Australia's way if Anderson is out and Finn can't keep this up though.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

04 Aug 2015 17:50

42x16ss wrote:
Waterloo Sunrise wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:Great performance by England, very nearly winning a test match inside 2 days against the best test side in cricket in a nice achievement.

The injury of Jimmy Anderson will be a huge blow though, especially at Trent bridge which usually swings, that being said Broad usually bowls well there so hopefully he wont be missed too much. The Aussies have got more things on their mind at the moment anyway.

This lot are not even close to the best test side. Batting line-up is short and what there is can't cope with movement.

On true decks with pace Australia are the best in the world and England struggle, on greener wickets where the ball moves in the air it's the other way around. Historically that has usually been the case with the late 80's to early 00's being the main exception to the rule.

Neither side are complete enough to be the top ranked side for long. I can see the balance going back Australia's way if Anderson is out and Finn can't keep this up though.

You don't hold a candle to RSA, even if we let you play on concrete pitches.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

04 Aug 2015 17:51

Pricey_sky wrote:
Waterloo Sunrise wrote:

Well officially number 1 according to rankings anyway, but I agree the are quite venerable when coditions aren't perfect for them!

No, they're a long way behind the number 1 team in the rankings.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

04 Aug 2015 18:15

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:
Waterloo Sunrise wrote:

Well officially number 1 according to rankings anyway, but I agree the are quite venerable when coditions aren't perfect for them!

No, they're a long way behind the number 1 team in the rankings.

Yes my bad, for some reason I believed they were ranked number 1, however they did beat SA away in last years test series.
User avatar Pricey_sky

05 Aug 2015 01:05

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Waterloo Sunrise wrote:

You don't hold a candle to RSA, even if we let you play on concrete pitches.

Agreed, unless it's somewhere like Centurion or the WACA, Australia just doesn't have the patience and technique with the bat - apart from Smith and a fit Clarke - and apart from the recently retired Harris, the bowlers need the pitch to be doing something to be effective.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

06 Aug 2015 06:34

So here we go again then. Forecast for the next 5 days seem to be good bar a few showers on Saturday. That shouldn't matter as none of the previous 3 tests have threatened going 5 full days.
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Aug 2015 08:08

My cricket loving friends have really been enjoying this ashes... Maybe I should give it a proper go...
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

06 Aug 2015 09:47

King Boonen wrote:My cricket loving friends have really been enjoying this ashes... Maybe I should give it a proper go...

I can't remember a series like this one, it's completly flipped from one team to another twice now. Both sides lacking any real consistency.
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Aug 2015 10:21

Having dropped down to no 5, Clarke is still in during first two overs
del1962
Veteran

Re:

06 Aug 2015 10:44

del1962 wrote:Having dropped down to no 5, Clarke is still in during first two overs

And still out 2 overs later! :D
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Aug 2015 11:18

Pricey_sky wrote:
del1962 wrote:Having dropped down to no 5, Clarke is still in during first two overs

And still out 2 overs later! :D

Looks like England are going to get a bat in the morning session :eek:
del1962
Veteran

06 Aug 2015 11:37

I picked a good one to bother watching then...
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

unbelievable joy!

06 Aug 2015 13:58

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

06 Aug 2015 14:15

Dropping Mitch Marsh is a mystifying selection but the problems with Australia's batting is quite simple. They are not good enough, it is symptomatic of Australian cricket as a whole, not enough quality batsmen are being produced.
TheGreenMonkey

06 Aug 2015 14:25

I must admit to having a #Jawdrop moment when I saw the score this morning. (US time).

Maybe time to buy some tickets for Sunday cheap on the resale market.
User avatar Catwhoorg

Re:

06 Aug 2015 14:38

Catwhoorg wrote:I must admit to having a #Jawdrop moment when I saw the score this morning. (US time).

Maybe time to buy some tickets for Sunday cheap on the resale market.

I doubt this game will go to Sunday. Do well to go further than Saturday morning at this rate.
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Aug 2015 15:07

today working at a local cycling project.........talk turned to cricket and how we recalled the days

of boycott when a draw always seemed the most likely outcome......how times have changed!

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

06 Aug 2015 17:11

Clarke now deliberately overbowling his quicks and ignoring Lyon - presumably another selection argument about Mitch Marsh that he lost.

What a mess that setup is. Wonder if he can hold on for the Oval or just retires after this game.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

06 Aug 2015 17:50

Third biggest first innings lead batting second at the end of the first day. What a day for English cricket.
User avatar Pricey_sky

06 Aug 2015 22:52

Pathetic, pathetic innings. No patience, poor shot selection, too much reliance on aggressive, back foot technique. This is not the Gabba in January!

Australia needs to learn how to leave the swinging ball. No coincidence that their only decent result with the bat came in the most Australian-like conditions (Lords).

Broad was very good, but not 8 for 15 good. Australia has struggled against swing ever since the likes of Mark Waugh and Matthew Elliott retired. Australia needs to cut back on international cricket for a few years and encourage their current and prospective internationals to spend some time playing in the county system in swinging conditions. They're becoming little more than flat track bullies.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General