Register

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

03 Nov 2011 10:19

I like Clarke as a batsman but he isn't the best in the world.

Zimbabwe playing well now 190/3, Vusi Sibanda 93 and the brilliant Brendan Taylor 50 n.o. Go Zim.

Pakistan vs Sri Lanka is a snooze fest. Pitch is a road.
ramjambunath

03 Nov 2011 10:23

Judge has just told court that their offences are so serious that they are going to prison
User avatar Dancing On The Pedals

03 Nov 2011 10:29

One other player is supposedly involved in the spot fixing thing. Kamran Akmal and Wahab Riaz are going to be investigated. It isn't surprising that the players may face arrests.
Just when things on the field were improving for Pak[color="Black"]i[/color]stan.
ramjambunath

03 Nov 2011 10:30

Dancing On The Pedals wrote:Judge has just told court that their offences are so serious that they are going to prison

So they have been sentenced? Source?
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 10:32

auscyclefan94 wrote:So they have been sentenced? Source?

Twitter. Majeed, the agent, sentenced for 2 years 8 months

http://twitter.com/#!/Cricketer_RDJ

03 Nov 2011 10:35

thanks....
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 10:37

Most of the blame seems to be being put on **** - judge telling him he corrupted Amir

03 Nov 2011 10:38

2.5 years for ****!

Oh FFS, Salman's surname is not liked by the swear filter.

Asif for 1 year.
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 10:38

Dancing on the pedals, cheers for the link.

30 months for ****, deserves it. If only players from the '90s had such arrests, then this may not have happened.

Aamer was cooperative through the investigation wasn't he, hopefully he won't get arrested. Not holding my breath.
ramjambunath

03 Nov 2011 10:41

From what the judge is saying it doesn't look good for Aamer.

"I refuse to accept the basis of you plea, that this was a one-off and you were pressured to do this."
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 10:43

ramjambunath wrote:Dancing on the pedals, cheers for the link.

30 months for ****, deserves it. If only players from the '90s had such arrests, then this may not have happened.

Aamer was cooperative through the investigation wasn't he, hopefully he won't get arrested. Not holding my breath.

He pleaded guilty before the trial along the lines of being lead astray by **** and Asif, getting in over his head and then not being able to get out. Claimed it was only the Lord's test that he was involved in, but apparently there is evidence - text messages, phone recordings etc. of him being involved in other fixing situations.
Judge has just told him that although pleading guilty was the right thing to do, he doesn't believe that his involvement was a one off

03 Nov 2011 10:44

Aamer for 6 months.
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 10:46

Dancing On The Pedals wrote:He pleaded guilty before the trial along the lines of being lead astray by **** and Asif, getting in over his head and then not being able to get out. Claimed it was only the Lord's test that he was involved in, but apparently there is evidence - text messages, phone recordings etc. of him being involved in other fixing situations.
Judge has just told him that although pleading guilty was the right thing to do, he doesn't believe that his involvement was a one off

I will refuse to believe it was only the Lord's test and if he gets a jail sentence, it would be justified but at 18 he could easily have been pressured into making a wrong choice.

Edit: Sentence comes out just as I press enter.
This sets a proper precedent for players fixing situations in matches, I'm sure they will think more than twice after this unlike the '90s which resulted in no arrest of players. Kudos to the judge and to the prosecution.
ramjambunath

03 Nov 2011 10:50

ramjambunath wrote:I will refuse to believe it was only the Lord's test and if he gets a jail sentence, it would be justified but at 18 he could easily have been pressured into making a wrong choice.

Agreed. I think when he was first questioned he blamed others for leading him astray and then in his plea to the court, he stressed that he alone should take responsibility for his actions. Judge saw the contradiction and has no doubt used that as basis for sending him to prison.

Such a talent gone to waste

03 Nov 2011 12:01

Midnightfright wrote:fancy dan batsmen like pietersen.

Harsh on KP. For all the bravado and ongoing tendency for brain farts, he absolutely loves a scrap and is widely recognised as the hardest worker in the England team.
King Of The Wolds

03 Nov 2011 12:11

Spider1964 wrote:Come of it.. get off the drugs.

I'll take Garner, Marshall, Holding, Walsh, Patterson etc! any day of the week.

Seriously, Anderson may be considered to get a game amongst the West Indies greats, Bresnan and Tremlett have their moments, but the others are cannon fodder. Finn, Onions and Shahzad are county military medium pacers at best. Broad averages under 30 with the bat and over 30 with the ball, for him to be mentioned in the same breath as the West Indians would have Malcolm Marshall turning in his grave.

Just because they beat up on a 2nd rate Aussie side and a stuttering India, does not make them a match for the aforementioned West Indians.

I said since the great Windies side.

But 2nd rate and stuttering? Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman? Give over. We made them look 2nd rate and stuttering. Check the averages of Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Bresnan over those 2 series against those great players. And watch the action. The bowling was aggressive, menacing, accurate and unerring. Over after over, day after day. Nobody's suggesting that any of those can be compared with the great Windies bowlers of the past, because of the fantastic careers that they had, but the bowling over those 2 series is right up there.

And one last thing, Steve Finn is nowhere near military medium. He's rapid.
King Of The Wolds

03 Nov 2011 12:52

King Of The Wolds wrote:Harsh on KP. For all the bravado and ongoing tendency for brain farts, he absolutely loves a scrap and is widely recognised as the hardest worker in the England team.

I think he maybe meant off the field.

Finn is super quick nowadays and if he can maintain the 90-95mph he's been bowling in FC cricket then he should be a shoo in to the test team.

Meanwhile, I somewhat put the mockers on Zimbabwe. 'The formerly brilliant' Taylor and Taibu out for 50 and 20 just after lunch. They've recovered 260/5 now at tea

Australia cruise to victory in the warm up match. Watson, a belligerent 77 and Marsh a rapid 73 n.o. Win by 7 wickets.
ramjambunath

03 Nov 2011 13:42

King Of The Wolds wrote:Harsh on KP. For all the bravado and ongoing tendency for brain farts, he absolutely loves a scrap and is widely recognised as the hardest worker in the England team.

And if he didn't have an outrageous ego he would he all the better for ir. There's no doubt he's a great batsmen and everyone he's played with will tell u hard he trains but I can't warm to him when can do what he can do and isn't acheiving more that's why I always loves Colly it was brutal watching some of his innings but he was endearing same reason I liked Nasser. Part of the reason Broad annoys me is because he could be absolutely brilliant and i expect im to become more consistent but he can do so much more. Saying thwt I fully expect him to finish his career as Englands leading test wicket taker. That is until Mitchell Claydon demolishes it.:D
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

03 Nov 2011 13:51

King Of The Wolds wrote:...The fast bowling from that lot over the recent series against India and Australia was as good as we've seen since the West Indies in the 80s.

Ashes 2005 - Harmison Hoggard Flintoff and Jones, for one summer only, were as good as any line up of quickies I've seen and that includes the Windies in their pomp. A bit less hostility perhaps but more variety.
[SIZE="2"]It's about being determined on the classics. I don't think the classics understand whether you are Spanish or not, whether you are a cross rider or not. A classic just asks for determination, no matter where you come from. - JAF[/SIZE]
User avatar Captain_Cavman

PreviousNext

Return to General