Register

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

03 Nov 2011 13:52

I'd say this is the best pace trio over the last 15 years:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63815.html

Sadly they only got together in two tests.
Ferminal
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 14:14

Ferminal wrote:I'd say this is the best pace trio over the last 15 years:

Mcgrath, Gillespie were pretty awesome, Fleming a clever but less hostile operator.
Pretty much up there that trio.

I like Dale Steyn and Morkel from South Africa - they look as good as anything around. Andre Nel is quite good as a back up but keeps getting dropped for some reason.
User avatar sublimit

03 Nov 2011 14:40

McGrath, Gillespie and Lee/Kasper in the run up to the Ashes 2005 were not half bad.

Same for Donald, Pollock and Fanie De Villiers with McMillan and Kallis (in the end).

Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar backed up by Azhar Mahmood

Ashes 2005 England but the current attack overall (compared to 2005 England) is better because of the spinner.
ramjambunath

03 Nov 2011 15:04

ramjambunath wrote:McGrath, Gillespie and Lee/Kasper in the run up to the Ashes 2005 were not half bad.

Same for Donald, Pollock and Fanie De Villiers with McMillan and Kallis (in the end).

Ashes 2005 England but the current attack overall (compared to 2005 England) is better because of the spinner.

I saw Alan Donald playing for Warwickshire against Hampshire when he was like 19/20 years of age or something.. Nobody I knew had ever heard of him but he was coming off a short run and bowling at approx 145/150 KPH. Very impressive and very fast. I was supporting Hampshire but our batsmen were getting worked over and in serious danger of injury. Most impressive bowler i've seen live.
User avatar sublimit

03 Nov 2011 16:01

Captain_Cavman wrote:Ashes 2005 - Harmison Hoggard Flintoff and Jones, for one summer only, were as good as any line up of quickies I've seen and that includes the Windies in their pomp. A bit less hostility perhaps but more variety.

That series was just awesome. Waqar and Wasim partnership was not bad at all, ambrose and walsh was also very good...Steve Waugh vs Ambrose in 95 is legendary.:)
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

03 Nov 2011 22:39

Midnightfright wrote:Well when his name was getting banded about as one of the top batsmen in the world he certainly was overated. Very surprised his highest score in tests is still only 168, i think general opinion of him is more in line with his actual level now.
My main gripe are these fancy dan batsmen like him or pietersen that's why my favourite player of modern times was/is Collingwood ( not the AFL team ) If this was cricket I would defo be a Colly fanboy.

V harsh on Pietersen, another person who's off field exploits overshadow his on field prowess. He is a star IMO. Just because the ego is the size of a small country, shouldn't lessen his standing in the game.

Paul Collingwood MBE :D Undoubtedly a gutsy player, but certainly not top flight.

Just goes to show how subjective sport watching can be.

Handbrake wrote:Clarke is good but isn't in the league of past Australian captains like Ponting, Waugh, Taylor, Chappells x 2 etc.

Agree with all that, but reckon he's a better player than Chappelli... Top test score of 199, av less than Clarke. Difficult to compare eras I know.

Handbrake wrote:bats with a far bigger and better sweet spots where you now can mis hit sixes

This development gives the batsman so much more confidence. I coach junior teams.. and you have got to have a hit with the new bats to appreciate the difference.. amazing. The edges on the bats are thicker than the middle of some bats from 20 years ago. And yet they have a light pickup? They make the old SS Jumbo look like a toothpick... but weigh less?

Handbrake wrote:Katich has done well not to speak his mind until now and said exactly what most cricketers have said around the country for the past why explaining why he doesn't have a CA contract. Australia is struggling for openers and Katich can't get in the top 25 cricketers in the country. Joke. Phil Hughes technique is shocking.

+1 Refreshing to hear a sports figure speak their mind, should be more of it.

Phil Hughes should not be in the team.

King Of The Wolds wrote:I said since the great Windies side.

But 2nd rate and stuttering? Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman? Give over. We made them look 2nd rate and stuttering. Check the averages of Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Bresnan over those 2 series against those great players. And watch the action. The bowling was aggressive, menacing, accurate and unerring. Over after over, day after day. Nobody's suggesting that any of those can be compared with the great Windies bowlers of the past, because of the fantastic careers that they had, but the bowling over those 2 series is right up there.

And one last thing, Steve Finn is nowhere near military medium. He's rapid.

Agree to disagree then. Anderson and Swann carry the rest. Cannot for the life of me rate Broad, time will tell I guess.

Yes, very harsh on Finn calling him medium.. he's quick. Let's see how his longevity goes? The other two are still pie throwers though :D

Ferminal wrote:I'd say this is the best pace trio over the last 15 years:

Flem would love that!
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

03 Nov 2011 22:53

Spider1964 wrote:V harsh on Pietersen, another person who's off field exploits overshadow his on field prowess. He is a star IMO. Just because the ego is the size of a small country, shouldn't lessen his standing in the game.

Paul Collingwood MBE :D Undoubtedly a gutsy player, but certainly not top flight.

Just goes to show how subjective sport watching can be.

Agree with all that, but reckon he's a better player than Chappelli... Top test score of 199, av less than Clarke. Difficult to compare eras I know.

This development gives the batsman so much more confidence. I coach junior teams.. and you have got to have a hit with the new bats to appreciate the difference.. amazing. The edges on the bats are thicker than the middle of some bats from 20 years ago. And yet they have a light pickup? They make the old SS Jumbo look like a toothpick... but weigh less?

+1 Refreshing to hear a sports figure speak their mind, should be more of it.

Phil Hughes should not be in the team.

Agree to disagree then. Anderson and Swann carry the rest. Cannot for the life of me rate Broad, time will tell I guess.

Yes, very harsh on Finn calling him medium.. he's quick. Let's see how his longevity goes? The other two are still pie throwers though :D

Flem would love that!

Yes I agree I'm being harsh on KP, but that's its because he is so good so talented and could do so much. Colly on the other hand was limited and without his grit and determination would of been an average county player. Colly for a while was a very good international player and still to this day my favourite moment in sport is day 5 cardiff 09. It isnt panesar anf jimmy saving the day its after the 7 hours Collingwood blocked his side into contention , gave his team a chance through sheer grit and will to save the day to lose his wicket with a flash outside off. The look in his eyes afterwards, the torment and regret his working man's reserve. It's the only time I cried at sport.
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

03 Nov 2011 23:09

Midnightfright wrote:Yes I agree I'm being harsh on KP, but that's its because he is so good so talented and could do so much. Colly on the other hand was limited and without his grit and determination would of been an average county player. Colly for a while was a very good international player and still to this day my favourite moment in sport is day 5 cardiff 09. It isnt panesar anf jimmy saving the day its after the 7 hours Collingwood blocked his side into contention , gave his team a chance through sheer grit and will to save the day to lose his wicket with a flash outside off. The look in his eyes afterwards, the torment and regret his working man's reserve. It's the only time I cried at sport.

Collingwood gets credits because people can relate to him as a battler... we love battlers. Of course he turned the corner when he had a year at Melbourne district cricket with Richmond ;) Had a great year too, won the comp medal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Premier_Cricket
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

User avatar Spider1964

03 Nov 2011 23:16

Spider1964 wrote:Collingwood gets credits because people can relate to him as a battler... we love battlers. Of course he turned the corner when he had a year at Melbourne district cricket with Richmond ;) Had a great year too, won the comp medal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Premier_Cricket

He will admit that his what spured him on actually. Ofcourse ppl can relate to him he is a battler of legendary status. He had really quite a limited skill set with regards to his battingi admit , I may be biased but he is the best rounded fielder I've ever seen.
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

04 Nov 2011 01:03

Former NZ great batsman Martin Crowe is try to make a comback to first class cricket aged 49. He certainly was a very good play and I don't imagine the NZ first class cricket is of that high a level but it does seem optimistic to think that he can get there after retiring due to injury at 33 in 1995. Good luck to him though, perhaps he can help younger players to develop.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/11338565/crowes-comeback-begins/
Australian Supporter of BMC and Cadel Evans
User avatar Luke Schmid

04 Nov 2011 03:49

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/03/cricket-corruption-umpires-ruling-editorial

A bit brief but a decent read.

Ben Stokes out for 6 months- complex dislocation in the finger.

Zimbabwe are right frustrating to follow, the tail is long when Ray Price bats at 8. Still fighting, 313 (fro 280/5) in the first innings and New zealand 28/2 in the second.

England fans, did anyone of you know Paul Horton plays for Matebaland? He is their star attraction. Hopefully the event is telecast in India.

Spider1964 wrote:Collingwood gets credits because people can relate to him as a battler... we love battlers. Of course he turned the corner when he had a year at Melbourne district cricket with Richmond ;) Had a great year too, won the comp medal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Premier_Cricket

You know that there's been a drop in quality of grade cricket when once Abdul Qadir, Carl Hooper and Collingwood (to a lesser extent) won at the turn of the century and a couple of years ago was won by Gareth Cross.
ramjambunath

04 Nov 2011 03:55

the insect is more interesting I think.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

04 Nov 2011 04:14

A bit rich coming from a cycling fan.:D

Honestly, in terms of testing a viewer's patience, I don't find it too dissimilar to cycling.

Cricket the insect is a pain in the ****, it's a daily struggle for sleep with a garden next to my place.
ramjambunath

04 Nov 2011 10:29

ramjambunath wrote:

You know that there's been a drop in quality of grade cricket when once Abdul Qadir, Carl Hooper and Collingwood (to a lesser extent) won at the turn of the century and a couple of years ago was won by Gareth Cross.

Remembering of course RamJam, that this is a step below state cricket, some good cricketers amongst the winners. I'll now go to bed to have nightmares about facing Richard McCarthy on a green top.. with a hangover!! He seemed quick to me, but didn't play much state cricket. V good player.
Gwen Knapp

User avatar Spider1964

04 Nov 2011 10:33

Spider1964 wrote:Remembering of course RamJam, that this is a step below state cricket, some good cricketers amongst the winners. I'll now go to bed to have nightmares about facing Richard McCarthy on a green top.. with a hangover!! He seemed quick to me, but didn't play much state cricket. V good player.

I know, hence I used the word grade cricket. Qadir, Hooper and Collingwood were top internationals while Cross is an average county 'keeper.

Edit: You played grade cricket? Wow. Any other bowler (of note) who you faced?
ramjambunath

04 Nov 2011 11:58

ramjambunath wrote:I know, hence I used the word grade cricket. Qadir, Hooper and Collingwood were top internationals while Cross is an average county 'keeper.

Edit: You played grade cricket? Wow. Any other bowler (of note) who you faced?

Was def no star :( But played against some that were. Andy Bichel was an adversary that was far above my calling, but had some luck against him in a state (country) game. Quick & a seriously nice guy.. Go figure. Merv Hughes, Mark Wridgeway, Ian Wrigglesworth were some others. Not sure if you know Wrigglesworth but a district legend.
Gwen Knapp

User avatar Spider1964

04 Nov 2011 12:21

Spider1964 wrote:Was def no star :( But played against some that were. Andy Bichel was an adversary that was far above my calling, but had some luck against him in a state (country) game. Quick & a seriously nice guy.. Go figure. Merv Hughes, Mark Wridgeway, Ian Wrigglesworth were some others. Not sure if you know Wrigglesworth but a district legend.

Doesn't matter, you're nigh on a legend already. Haven't heard of Wrigglesworth. If a player didn't make it to FC level, you don't get to see or read much about him in India. The others are some pretty flash names, I remember one guy on Cricinfo saying how scary Jacob Oram was as a bowler, I can only expect how hard Bichel must be.

I'm just a local clubbie, bowl a bit of chinaman googly and can block but that's all.
ramjambunath

05 Nov 2011 02:31

Zimbabwe fought like mad yesterday. New Zealand 8/250 dec and with 360 as target replied with 2/60, thanks to Masakadza stupidly losing his wicket on the last ball of the day.

ICC anti-corruption unit is 'toothless tiger' - Andrew Strauss

Andrew Strauss has dubbed the anti-corruption unit of the International Cricket Council as a "toothless tiger".

"The unit hasn't got the resources," said the England Test captain at a charity dinner after three ****stan players were jailed for spot-fixing.

"They can't do sting operations like the News of the World, they can't infiltrate these betting networks.

"I'm hopeful only a minor percentage of cricketers are involved in it but the truth is we really don't know."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/15593229.stm

Nielsen has just said that MacGill's retirement threw Australia's spin bowling plans off track.
ramjambunath

05 Nov 2011 08:24

ramjambunath wrote:McGrath, Gillespie and Lee/Kasper in the run up to the Ashes 2005 were not half bad.

The point about having a spinner is what makes the England 2005 side and the great Windies sides better in terms of a pace attack than anything else I've seen. There was only a plan A, no plan B.

Any team with Warne (best bowler ever IMO) in it cannot be acclaimed for the quality of its quickies.
[SIZE="2"]It's about being determined on the classics. I don't think the classics understand whether you are Spanish or not, whether you are a cross rider or not. A classic just asks for determination, no matter where you come from. - JAF[/SIZE]
User avatar Captain_Cavman

05 Nov 2011 08:37

To be fair, I wouldn't mind having a pace trio with an aggregate of more than 1000 wickets even with Warne.

As a pace attack England 2005 (the only time they were all fit) was one of the best around. Makes you wonder- what if Gabba wasn't such an abrasive outfield (Jones ruptured his knee there).
ramjambunath

PreviousNext

Return to General