Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

29 Jan 2017 09:08

I don't like Murray but I do think he has good shot making. His biggest fault was always a weak second serve and maybe playing bad on important points.

Federer was indeed probably the best shot maker, but I do admire Nadal's ability since he uses dominates from the forehand using the most insane grip, one that no one else would be able to pull off.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

29 Jan 2017 10:25

I wonder when Nadal will start to position himself in Australia when he is returning
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: The real Tennis thread.

29 Jan 2017 11:16

And so it has come down to this.

1 set that will decide who is the GOAT
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re: Re:

29 Jan 2017 11:30

Red Rick wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Danish media just won the prize for stupidest headline.

Willams beats sister

Oh... really? :rolleyes:

Lol. It's not like I had high expectations of what a mainstream newspaper write about a sport, but this is truly a decent effort at half-arsing your job.

Sure, they did continue the headline with mentioning how she set a record for GS wins, which I guess only Serena could do. But would it have been so hard to simply write Serena beats Venus?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

29 Jan 2017 12:03

RedheadDane wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Danish media just won the prize for stupidest headline.

Willams beats sister

Oh... really? :rolleyes:

Lol. It's not like I had high expectations of what a mainstream newspaper write about a sport, but this is truly a decent effort at half-arsing your job.

Sure, they did continue the headline with mentioning how she set a record for GS wins, which I guess only Serena could do. But would it have been so hard to simply write Serena beats Venus?

I kind of get it though.

At the end of 2008 Serena and Venus both had 7 grand slams each.
Since then there have been 29 grand slams. Serena has won 16 of them. All other women in the game combined have won 13. Venus has won 0.

At this stage Serena is very much the "Williams", and Venus really is just her sister.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

29 Jan 2017 12:23

The Hitch wrote:And so it has come down to this.

1 set that will decide who is the GOAT

Fed was gonna be the GOAT regardless. Anyway. Congrats to Federer. He has adapted his game over the last months, and it was in a way that he matches up better to Nadal. Also, Nadal tried to play the tennis he played vs Federer years ago but he isn't fast enough anymore. I think he made the mistake of going crosscourt for too long in spots where it didn't do anything and where he was just waiting for Federer to tee off on the backhand.
User avatar Red Rick

29 Jan 2017 12:23

Well done Federer. I actually thought he would wrap it up in four sets after winning the third so easily but kudos to Nadal for his fight back. Nice to see Federer finally get another Open final victory against his old adversary Nadal.
movingtarget
Veteran

29 Jan 2017 12:26

Well done to roger. Great match
Brullnux

29 Jan 2017 14:46

Finally nr 18!
And a great match
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

29 Jan 2017 18:04

Aaaargh, so close :(

Nevertheless congrats to Federer. Incredibly exciting match.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

04 Feb 2017 10:05

Davis Cup is on this weekend. No top 15 players playing but for Novak Djokovic. And he ain't looking good. Went a set and a break down before turning it around against Medvedev who later retired.
User avatar Red Rick

05 Feb 2017 17:40

I'm the only one to think that federer's backhand is in another level than previous years? His backhand is more consistent and solid from the baseline
portugal11

05 Feb 2017 21:32

I think everyone has noticed that
User avatar Red Rick

05 Feb 2017 23:13

Meanwhile, bright young talent Denis Shapovalov is going places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Cvfx9Jl0E

Dare I say, snipered?
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

05 Feb 2017 23:24

portugal11 wrote:I'm the only one to think that federer's backhand is in another level than previous years? His backhand is more consistent and solid from the baseline

I think Federer could have won more slams with a double handed backhand.
sniper
Veteran

08 Feb 2017 10:41

This Shapovalov thing is being a bit blown out of proportion isn't it?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

12 Feb 2017 14:12

King Boonen wrote:This Shapovalov thing is being a bit blown out of proportion isn't it?

Nah it isn't. He's gotten away with it ridiculously easy.
User avatar Red Rick

02 Mar 2017 19:03

**** is hitting the fan this week in Dubai.

Yesterday, Federer lost to World# 116 Evgeny Donskoy after wasting 3MP in the 2nd set tiebreak and being 5-1 up in the 3rd set tiebreak to lost 36 76 76.

Today, Murray lost the first set 6-7 to Kohlschreiber, and then won the 2nd set breaker 20-18 (saving 7 matchpoints, wasting 7 setpoints in the process). On of the matchpoints he hit the most insane dropshot I've ever seen. Some batshit crazy tennis this tournament
User avatar Red Rick

30 Apr 2017 14:48

Watching Thiem-Nadal now. Damn that is some clay court tennis
User avatar Red Rick

01 May 2017 22:41

Thiem is a good player and he's got the potential to win grand slams but he's gotta up his game. Nadal is effectively the GOAT on clay so it's not easy for anyone to beat him, but Thiem has the speed and hits hard, but can he sustain this for 5 sets at Roland Garros?

I'd love to see Wawrinka snag another GS, but in all honesty, it's time for the youngsters, the guys 25 and younger to make their mark and win or at least get to the finals of the slams, it's been overdue for some time now. With all the respect to the top guys, it would be great for the game if a younger guy won it, or anyone else for that matter that isn't named Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or indeed Murray and Wawrinka. The last one that's not part of the top 5 (and interestingly, it's these five guys that make up the top 5 rankings: Murray at 1, Djokovic 2, Wawrinka 3, Federer 4, and Nadal 5) that won a slam was Del Potro at the 2009 US Open. Before that it was Safin at the 2005 Australian Open, so the beginning of the season in 2005. That's a long time for only a handful of men to win slams. The guys that are consistently in the top echelon, Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer, are losing steam, and Ferrer more quickly than the rest, but let's be honest, he's 35 and physically he can't run down every ball like he used to. Cilic is way too inconsistent, Raonic and Nishikori have injury issues, especially Nishikori, Gasquet has wasted a lot of his talent and he is already in his 30's, Dimitrov is overrated, Kyrgios...not really sure what to make of him, Zverev has the upside....Really it's time for new champions, both on the men's but the women's as well. Federer, Nadal, Williams, Djokovic are all good for the sport, but it's also good of the sport if someone else comes along and starts winning.
BullsFan22

PreviousNext

Return to General