Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

05 Sep 2017 23:29

172 here, it's not worth giving a **** about even if it's beneficial. Just think, if truly skinny and blessed genetically you could be a mountain goat flying up Montirolo!

I would love to see a JMDP v. PCB final but I think Federer drops JMDP and Nadal. A PCB slam win would be cool though. I believe he's from Gijon where we have stage 19 of the Vuelta finishing. :D

I think JMDP has one slam win left in him.
"Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place."
User avatar Sciocco

Re: The real Tennis thread.

07 Sep 2017 09:06

Fed choked that one away from what I saw.4 set points, 2 on your own serve in the 3rd and didnt get it done. Strange unforced errors handing Delp back the match.

Then at 4-5 and 30-30 in the 4th with Del Potro clearly getting choky himself, he misses an easy by his standard volley with Del Potro out of the point, to give Delp the match point.

Still didnt want to see a 36 year old 20 gs winner get another one so glad its not 3 out of 4 for Fed this year.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

07 Sep 2017 09:36

Fed winning 3 out of 4 while injured during the last one at 36 would've been way too ridiculous.

Rublev showed his worth yesterday. Not enough. Yet. It's a very peculiar learning curve to be competitive with some players, and Nadal is one of them. If you can't hit through him and can't approach the net, you're simply getting ****, and it's never a competitive match. It was always gonna happen like this

Weirdest thing to me was that the bookies only gave Delpo two times as much chance to win as Rublev, even though he's an established winner in big matches like these and Federer was nursing injury.

Nadal should be the big favourite right now.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

07 Sep 2017 09:45

Glad to see Del Potro go through after all of his problems. All American Semis in the Women's Singles. Long time since that's happened.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 22:54

Wow, that must have been one of the worst grand slam finals I've ever watched. Chapeau nadal
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 23:09

Gigs_98 wrote:Wow, that must have been one of the worst grand slam finals I've ever watched. Chapeau nadal

Biggest train wreck of a slam final is still courtesy of Roger Federer himself
User avatar Red Rick

15 Oct 2017 08:40

Anyone in for Fedal #38
User avatar Red Rick

16 Oct 2017 14:29

movingtarget
Veteran

16 Oct 2017 14:47

Matchup has completely turned around on hardcourt. Now it's just first strike tennis and taking the ball early, and Federer is better at both.
User avatar Red Rick

16 Oct 2017 16:38

I'd love to see another RG and Wimbledon final between these two. I thought that possibility was long gone, but the way this season turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in 2018. Wouldn't it be something if Federer took out Nadal at RG next season?
BullsFan22

16 Oct 2017 17:34

BullsFan22 wrote:I'd love to see another RG and Wimbledon final between these two. I thought that possibility was long gone, but the way this season turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in 2018. Wouldn't it be something if Federer took out Nadal at RG next season?

They'd both be **** finals. Nadal would slaughter Federer on clay and Federer would easily beat Nadal on grass. And neither of them are happening. Federer skipped the clay this year, and I doubt he's coming back unless it's his final year on Tour. Even if he tried I doubt Federer is a top 5 player on clay right now, and Nadal slaughered everyone at RG. Nadal hasn't reached the QF of Wimbledon since 2011. Early Wimbledon grass suits him less than 2nd week grass, but still, he's not turning that streak around.

This was an exceptionally weak year, especially post RG, and Federer and Nadal won't dominate like this again. Federer can barely handle back to back Masters events and he's basically won every close match that mattered. He was basically burnt up by the USO after playing 5 tournaments post RG and ended up tanking a slam.

Nadal has seemed physically well all year, but now the knee is playing up again, and he's uncertain for either Basel or Paris.

Last year I said 2017 would be interesting. I was wrong. Younger players have still been uncompetitive at the slams, apart from Rublev and Shapovalov making a QF and a 4th round after beating up weak draws. Dimitrov is playing well but can't beat either Federer or Nadal when it matters. Zverev flukes 2 ATP 1000s and then can't beat a top 50 player in a Bo5 to save his life (hasn't done that ever). Kyrgios still tanks half his tournaments, though he's played Federer, Djokovic and Nadal hard all year. Thiem is useless off clay.

The state of the Tour is rather dire, and Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, and Stan Wawrinka return soon enough
User avatar Red Rick

17 Oct 2017 12:05

Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Wow, that must have been one of the worst grand slam finals I've ever watched. Chapeau nadal

What were you referring to?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

17 Oct 2017 19:08

The Hitch wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

What were you referring to?

Roland Garros 2008 Men's Singles Final

Rafael Nadal d. Roger Federer

6-1 6-3 6-0

He did wreck Hewitt 6-0 7-6 6-0 in the '04 USO though.
User avatar Red Rick

29 Oct 2017 18:55

Federer wins Basel, but pulls out of Paris. Nadal needs to win one more match to finish the year #1 if I´m correct
User avatar Red Rick

Previous

Return to General