Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

20 Jan 2017 13:36

Fed just annihalated Berdych. Totally recked
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

20 Jan 2017 16:52

Brilliant display by Federer.

And now for the key match:

Dimitrov vs. Gasquet
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

21 Jan 2017 12:30

Red Rick wrote:Fed just annihalated Berdych. Totally recked

Berdych was very disappointing as he often is. After Federer's lay off, I thought he had a chance.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

21 Jan 2017 12:54

movingtarget wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Fed just annihalated Berdych. Totally recked

Berdych was very disappointing as he often is. After Federer's lay off, I thought he had a chance.

Yeah, Berdych is a tall man, but remains a mental midget. He's been a placeholder and top 10 filler for years.
User avatar Red Rick

22 Jan 2017 06:48

Murray under significant pressure right now.
Another upset on the cards most likely.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

22 Jan 2017 07:27

Murray follows Djokovic out of the tournament.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

22 Jan 2017 08:55

I am really dazed and confused right now
User avatar Red Rick

22 Jan 2017 12:37

Wow, federer has a unique opportunity to win a grand slam again. I would love a federer vs nadal in the final
portugal11

Re:

22 Jan 2017 13:05

portugal11 wrote:Wow, federer has a unique opportunity to win a grand slam again. I would love a federer vs nadal in the final

If he does play Nadal, he'll lose. Even if Nadal is past it, and let's be honest, Federer is WAAAAAY past it. Yes, I'd love to see him win this. I think if he ends up winning this or another slam this season, he'll call it quits at the end of the season.

So happy to see Murray crash and burn. It would be hilarious if Wawrinka wins the tournament and goes ahead of Murray in the GS tally. LOL. Actually I thought that if Wawrinka and Murray were to meet in the final in Australia, the winner of that match would end up having more GS titles than his opponent when all is said and done.

Now Istomin needs to beat Dimitrov.

I give Monfils a decent chance of upsetting Nadal, but he is another mental midget who is more concerned about going on the top 10 plays of the day rather than winning tournaments, so we'll see.
BullsFan22

22 Jan 2017 13:18

BullsFan22 wrote:
portugal11 wrote:Wow, federer has a unique opportunity to win a grand slam again. I would love a federer vs nadal in the final

If he does play Nadal, he'll lose. Even if Nadal is past it, and let's be honest, Federer is WAAAAAY past it. Yes, I'd love to see him win this. I think if he ends up winning this or another slam this season, he'll call it quits at the end of the season.

So happy to see Murray crash and burn. It would be hilarious if Wawrinka wins the tournament and goes ahead of Murray in the GS tally. LOL. Actually I thought that if Wawrinka and Murray were to meet in the final in Australia, the winner of that match would end up having more GS titles than his opponent when all is said and done.

I give Monfils a decent chance of upsetting Nadal, but he is another mental midget who is more concerned about going on the top 10 plays of the day rather than winning tournaments, so we'll see.

It was impossible to they meet in the final, they are in the same sight of the tournament
portugal11

22 Jan 2017 14:25

BullsFan22 wrote:

Wawrinka probably has a decent chance. This could be Federer's last good chance to win a grand slam. The rested bodies seem to have worked for both Nadal and Federer.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Jan 2017 01:10

movingtarget wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

Wawrinka probably has a decent chance. This could be Federer's last good chance to win a grand slam. The rested bodies seem to have worked for both Nadal and Federer.

Yeah, I think Wawrinka has a solid shot at another GS. Apart from clay, this is probably his best surface. The bounce is high, the courts are medium speed and relaxed atmosphere there probably helps him. His fitness over the last few years has really improved so that really helps him and he is obviously more consistent. He always had the game to worry the top players, but not the consistency, mental fortitude and even fitness, now he's got all of it, I believe. He plays Tsonga in the quarters. Actually this could very well go the distance and so it has the possibility of being very entertaining with big hitting and lot's of variety mixed. Tsonga can beat Wawrinka, but I think Stan will pull it off. He's the better player these days. I say four sets.

Nadal and Federer are both rested, but rested because of injuries, and sometimes playing a lot of tennis right after a long break can be tough. If they were to meet in the final, I have to think Nadal will win, simply because Federer's mental block against Nadal, especially in grand slams.
BullsFan22

24 Jan 2017 21:13

BullsFan22 wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

Yeah, I think Wawrinka has a solid shot at another GS. Apart from clay, this is probably his best surface. The bounce is high, the courts are medium speed and relaxed atmosphere there probably helps him. His fitness over the last few years has really improved so that really helps him and he is obviously more consistent. He always had the game to worry the top players, but not the consistency, mental fortitude and even fitness, now he's got all of it, I believe. He plays Tsonga in the quarters. Actually this could very well go the distance and so it has the possibility of being very entertaining with big hitting and lot's of variety mixed. Tsonga can beat Wawrinka, but I think Stan will pull it off. He's the better player these days. I say four sets.

Nadal and Federer are both rested, but rested because of injuries, and sometimes playing a lot of tennis right after a long break can be tough. If they were to meet in the final, I have to think Nadal will win, simply because Federer's mental block against Nadal, especially in grand slams.

Yes that's what I meant, the layoff was needed but of course it could hurt them in a long final. Wawrinka v Federer should be interesting. Normally I would pick Wawrinka at this stage, they both had an easy quarter final but I still think Wawrinka has the best chance of beating Nadal.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Jan 2017 22:05

I'm the only one to think that raonic will beat nadal?
portugal11

24 Jan 2017 22:48

I don't know. Neither particularly impressed me. Raonic stands and falls on his serve, and at times it breaks down and then he gets recked. Thing with Nadal is he has to expose Raonic' movement instead of hitting the same shallow topspin ball into Raonic' strikezone over and over again. They playedd each other in an exho in december, with Nadal winning, and they played each other in Brisbane, with Raonic winning. Real toss-up to me. Think it's on Nadal's racket, if he gets the depth on his groundies, he'll win.
User avatar Red Rick

Re: The real Tennis thread.

24 Jan 2017 23:07

I'd like to see Wawrinka win 1 more gs - wimbledon

Go from being a guy who late into his 20's was a top 10 sideshow to the top guys, to being one of only a couple of people to do the GS
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

25 Jan 2017 10:53

The Hitch wrote:I'd like to see Wawrinka win 1 more gs - wimbledon

Go from being a guy who late into his 20's was a top 10 sideshow to the top guys, to being one of only a couple of people to do the GS

Wawrika's game is 100% unsuited to grass. He's done well to make a few QF and may make a semi, but I really can't see him winning it. Think Murray has more chance of completing the Career Grand Slam than Wawrinka.

Meanwhie, Raonic is doing a tremendous job at messing up. He just doesn't have the natural skill, and when he freezes up due to nerves, he totally breaks down.
User avatar Red Rick

25 Jan 2017 16:49

How cool would a final between Federer and Nadal be? Please make it happen.
User avatar Gigs_98

25 Jan 2017 17:07

Nah. I'm not big on all the 'biggest match ever' talk when both are past their prime and just back to an ok level for their standards. I want me some fresh blood in the top 5. I'm really hoping for Dimitrov to win this thing.
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

25 Jan 2017 17:58

Red Rick wrote:Nah. I'm not big on all the 'biggest match ever' talk when both are past their prime and just back to an ok level for their standards. I want me some fresh blood in the top 5. I'm really hoping for Dimitrov to win this thing.

I'm not saying it's the biggest match ever, but it would simply be nostalgic to see the two in a grand slam final again.
User avatar Gigs_98

PreviousNext

Return to General