Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

31 Aug 2017 20:15

So Dimitrov, Kyrgios, and Zverev, the 3 biggest dangers outside of Federer and Nadal, all got wrecked in the first two rounds.

But now the good news. Rublev and Shapovalov are on a roll. Exciting times ahead after the Big 4.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

31 Aug 2017 21:17

Shapovalov is truly impressive. He made Jo-wilfred Solonga (Bye!) look like the guy who made it into the draw through qualifiers, not El Shapo.
I'm far from an expert on tennis, but El Shapo reminds me of Federer. His one-handed backhand is sublime, and he can cover the court like a hopped-up 18 year-old, which he is.
El Shapo looks like the real deal.
It's astounding how far tennis has progressed in Canada the last decade or so.
User avatar the delgados

Re:

31 Aug 2017 22:35

the delgados wrote:Shapovalov is truly impressive. He made Jo-wilfred Solonga (Bye!) look like the guy who made it into the draw through qualifiers, not El Shapo.
I'm far from an expert on tennis, but El Shapo reminds me of Federer. His one-handed backhand is sublime, and he can cover the court like a hopped-up 18 year-old, which he is.

It's only a few talented individuals, and ironically some of them are born in another country to non-Canadian parents.
BullsFan22

Re: Re:

01 Sep 2017 00:15

BullsFan22 wrote:
the delgados wrote:Shapovalov is truly impressive. He made Jo-wilfred Solonga (Bye!) look like the guy who made it into the draw through qualifiers, not El Shapo.

It's only a few talented individuals, and ironically some of them are born in another country to non-Canadian parents.

I'm talking about the infrastructure that's been put in place to allow tennis to thrive in Canada.
I'm not a nationalist nut bar talking about "pure' race.
Good lord.
Prior to the rise of Milos, no one from Canada made it past the quarter finals of a grand slam.
It's nice to see players reap the rewards of a system designed to help players reach their peak.
We're not all about hockey.
User avatar the delgados

Re:

01 Sep 2017 10:22

I like the nickname
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

01 Sep 2017 10:41

I really think it's more like having a perfect storm and a small number of very talented individual supported by very dedicated people. FAA is also on the rise and wil likely crack the top 100 as well next year.
User avatar Red Rick

01 Sep 2017 11:32

Red Rick wrote:

I really think it's more like having a perfect storm and a small number of very talented individual supported by very dedicated people. FAA is also on the rise and wil likely crack the top 100 as well next year.

I don't care enough to pay a lot of attention to details, but it has been well documented how a change of focus within the Canadian tennis federation (or whatever you call it) has produced world class talent in a relatively short period of time.
According to what I've read, Milos, Genie, and now Shapovalov are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of emerging talent. That is a result of a change in culture; of that there is no doubt.
Of course it will take a while to prove the point I'm trying to make; but people who know far more than me insist that up and coming Canadian players are the real deal.
User avatar the delgados

01 Sep 2017 15:41

Shapovalov and FAA definitely seem like the real deal. I've always considered Raonic is huge overachiever. He won't be the top ranked Canuck by this time next year.
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

01 Sep 2017 16:58

Red Rick wrote:Shapovalov and FAA definitely seem like the real deal. I've always considered Raonic is huge overachiever. He won't be the top ranked Canuck by this time next year.

Totally agree about Milos. He's fun to cheer for only because he's a home grown talent, but he's boring to watch.
It's amazing that someone who could not hit a backhand if his life depended on it made it into the top ten.
But el Shapo on the other hand...
That guy is a real pleasure to watch.

@Hitch. I have no idea who came up with the nickname, but yeah, me like.
Way better than the god awful Maple Leaf Missile.
Good lord.
User avatar the delgados

01 Sep 2017 20:48

Lol did anyone see 4 double faults in a row from Venus Williams against Maria Sakkari in the 2nd set?
Forever The Best

Re:

02 Sep 2017 16:15

Forever The Best wrote:Lol did anyone see 4 double faults in a row from Venus Williams against Maria Sakkari in the 2nd set?

It's the WTA, what did you expect. Mischa Zverev doing it in Cincinnati I think was a lot more shocking
User avatar Red Rick

02 Sep 2017 16:32

Can Maria Meldo win the women's final ?
movingtarget
Veteran

02 Sep 2017 17:04

Who is FAA? Cilic was so bas yesterday, i thought he would be the first finalist of the us open. Federer is playing very badly, he won't win this us open, that's sure
portugal11

Re:

02 Sep 2017 17:59

portugal11 wrote:Who is FAA? Cilic was so bas yesterday, i thought he would be the first finalist of the us open. Federer is playing very badly, he won't win this us open, that's sure

Felix Auger-Alliasime.
He's another up and comer who some say is better than El Shapo.
User avatar the delgados

Re:

02 Sep 2017 18:25

portugal11 wrote:Who is FAA? Cilic was so bas yesterday, i thought he would be the first finalist of the us open. Federer is playing very badly, he won't win this us open, that's sure

Cilic was pathetic yesterday. Same thing happened in the same round against Sock last year. It's too bad. I think he'll rue this opportunity. Then again, it's been that kind of summer on the ATP and WTA.
BullsFan22

02 Sep 2017 19:18

the delgados wrote:

Felix Auger-Alliasime.

What did he win to get this hype? (I don't know anything about him and I'm a regular fan of tennis)
portugal11

02 Sep 2017 19:22

BullsFan22 wrote:

Cilic was pathetic yesterday. Same thing happened in the same round against Sock last year. It's too bad. I think he'll rue this opportunity. Then again, it's been that kind of summer on the ATP and WTA.

After what I saw from cilic in wimbledon, I really thought he would be the second most likely winner and he was in the easiest side of the tournament. Zverev disappointed me too, he has a mental block in majors and I really don't know why
portugal11

02 Sep 2017 19:38

portugal11 wrote:
the delgados wrote:

Felix Auger-Alliasime.

What did he win to get this hype? (I don't know anything about him and I'm a regular fan of tennis)

No clue. I'm too lazy to google the guy. All I know is he's still a junior.
I'm only telling you what I've read about him.

p.s. Seems the draw is wide open for El Shapo to make a serious run to the finals. That would be awesome.
Suddenly Milos has become an afterthought here in Canada. I still think he has it in him to win a major, but man oh man, how times change so quickly.
User avatar the delgados

02 Sep 2017 20:37

the delgados wrote:
portugal11 wrote:
the delgados wrote:

Felix Auger-Alliasime.

No clue. I'm too lazy to google the guy. All I know is he's still a junior.
I'm only telling you what I've read about him.

p.s. Seems the draw is wide open for El Shapo to make a serious run to the finals. That would be awesome.
Suddenly Milos has become an afterthought here in Canada. I still think he has it in him to win a major, but man oh man, how times change so quickly.

The tennis forums are hyped since he reached a QF of a challenger at 14(!) and played a top 150 player pretty hard at that age too. He's in the top 200 now, only just 17.

Meanwhile, Fognini got kicked out of the USO (he was still in doubles) for sexist remarks toward the umpire. The fine is more than 3 times as big as the one Shapovalov got for hospitalizing an umpire.

There you have it vogues, better hospitalize an umpire than call them names. Or maybe it's because the latter was a women. Which in itself would be sexist but then you can never stop arguing.
User avatar Red Rick

03 Sep 2017 10:44

Roger looked much better against lopez.
portugal11

PreviousNext

Return to General