Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

02 May 2017 05:25

Thiem is a very solid player, but his shots take ages to set up, which makes it hard to play agressive effectively. He can do it, but when he gets outplayed, he has no plan B but to lose his brains and start swinging for the fences.

Swinging for the fences is a tactic that some players can use effectively. Thiem can't. I don't know if he'll win Slams.

Djokovic and Murray have shown some minor improvements recently. Still I can't see anyone beating Nadal on Roland Garros. He's playing great when he needs to. Wawrinka probably has a shot, but all the minor younger contenders seem to have vanished from the face of the earth recently, except for Thiem finalling Barcelona.

It's probably Nadal vs Federer for #1, unless either Murray or Djokovic go on a tear from grass season onwards.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

20 May 2017 08:29

Watching Thiem-Nadal unfold over the last weeks has been great. Some truly animalistic tennis there. Meanwhile Murray and Djoker keep struggling, and we're seeing some new players getting deep into the M1000's. Exciting times.
User avatar Red Rick

20 May 2017 08:58

Isn't Djokovic recovering? I guess we'll see how he does against delpo and the new and improved Thiem

Just watched a 10 min summary of the Nadal v Thiem match, didn't seem like Nadal was playing really well but Thiem sure can hit the ball extremely hard with both the bh and the fh, and his court coverage is extremely good (better than Nadal's) as well. One thing that he could still improve is making his swings a bit more compact, seems like he's getting off balance pretty frequently when he hits the ball. Though I guess it's also why he can hit the ball so hard!
User avatar SeriousSam

20 May 2017 09:02

Swinging for the fences is a tactic that some players can use effectively. Thiem can't. I don't know if he'll win Slams.

Looks like he can, but you're right that it's an extremely important skill to have to overcome the ultra defenders (Murray, Djokovic, Nadal). It's why Ferrer never won a slam.
User avatar SeriousSam

Re:

20 May 2017 09:22

SeriousSam wrote:Isn't Djokovic recovering? I guess we'll see how he does against delpo and the new and improved Thiem

Just watched a 10 min summary of the Nadal v Thiem match, didn't seem like Nadal was playing really well but Thiem sure can hit the ball extremely hard with both the bh and the fh, and his court coverage is extremely good (better than Nadal's) as well. One thing that he could still improve is making his swings a bit more compact, seems like he's getting off balance pretty frequently when he hits the ball. Though I guess it's also why he can hit the ball so hard!

Djokovic seems to be doing a bit better, but I don't think that him firing his entire team and continuing with his love guru is a great sign. He road an easy draw to the semi in Madrid and got beaten convincingly by Nadal.

As for Thiem, he could take shorter swings, but it would affect the power of his shots, particularly on the backhand side. It's just very hard to modify swings depending on how much time you have. Thiem can defend his backhand well enough, and how well he hits his one hander in open stance off the back foot is unprecedented. I think his forehand technique could be a little shorter without losing power if he'd whip it more. Jack Sock is the most extreme example of that, but he's not exactly a beacon of reliability.

That said, Thiem matches up well to Nadal on clay. He doesn't match up well against players who can take his time away and not give him a chance to grind and set up his huge shots. Querrey did that and Thiem almost lost.
SeriousSam wrote:

Looks like he can, but you're right that it's an extremely important skill to have to overcome the ultra defenders (Murray, Djokovic, Nadal). It's why Ferrer never won a slam.

Pretty much. The way I see it is that when you're playing somebody who's just better than you, playing your normal game is gonna lose you the match anyway, so you're going with a different game plan. Playing super aggro is the way for players to take the match on their own rackets. Only very few players do it in basically every match.
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

20 May 2017 19:07

SeriousSam wrote:Isn't Djokovic recovering?

It would seem very much so
User avatar Red Rick

Previous

Return to General