Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

02 May 2017 05:25

Thiem is a very solid player, but his shots take ages to set up, which makes it hard to play agressive effectively. He can do it, but when he gets outplayed, he has no plan B but to lose his brains and start swinging for the fences.

Swinging for the fences is a tactic that some players can use effectively. Thiem can't. I don't know if he'll win Slams.

Djokovic and Murray have shown some minor improvements recently. Still I can't see anyone beating Nadal on Roland Garros. He's playing great when he needs to. Wawrinka probably has a shot, but all the minor younger contenders seem to have vanished from the face of the earth recently, except for Thiem finalling Barcelona.

It's probably Nadal vs Federer for #1, unless either Murray or Djokovic go on a tear from grass season onwards.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

20 May 2017 08:29

Watching Thiem-Nadal unfold over the last weeks has been great. Some truly animalistic tennis there. Meanwhile Murray and Djoker keep struggling, and we're seeing some new players getting deep into the M1000's. Exciting times.
User avatar Red Rick

20 May 2017 08:58

Isn't Djokovic recovering? I guess we'll see how he does against delpo and the new and improved Thiem

Just watched a 10 min summary of the Nadal v Thiem match, didn't seem like Nadal was playing really well but Thiem sure can hit the ball extremely hard with both the bh and the fh, and his court coverage is extremely good (better than Nadal's) as well. One thing that he could still improve is making his swings a bit more compact, seems like he's getting off balance pretty frequently when he hits the ball. Though I guess it's also why he can hit the ball so hard!
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

20 May 2017 09:02

Swinging for the fences is a tactic that some players can use effectively. Thiem can't. I don't know if he'll win Slams.

Looks like he can, but you're right that it's an extremely important skill to have to overcome the ultra defenders (Murray, Djokovic, Nadal). It's why Ferrer never won a slam.
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2017 09:22

SeriousSam wrote:Isn't Djokovic recovering? I guess we'll see how he does against delpo and the new and improved Thiem

Just watched a 10 min summary of the Nadal v Thiem match, didn't seem like Nadal was playing really well but Thiem sure can hit the ball extremely hard with both the bh and the fh, and his court coverage is extremely good (better than Nadal's) as well. One thing that he could still improve is making his swings a bit more compact, seems like he's getting off balance pretty frequently when he hits the ball. Though I guess it's also why he can hit the ball so hard!

Djokovic seems to be doing a bit better, but I don't think that him firing his entire team and continuing with his love guru is a great sign. He road an easy draw to the semi in Madrid and got beaten convincingly by Nadal.

As for Thiem, he could take shorter swings, but it would affect the power of his shots, particularly on the backhand side. It's just very hard to modify swings depending on how much time you have. Thiem can defend his backhand well enough, and how well he hits his one hander in open stance off the back foot is unprecedented. I think his forehand technique could be a little shorter without losing power if he'd whip it more. Jack Sock is the most extreme example of that, but he's not exactly a beacon of reliability.

That said, Thiem matches up well to Nadal on clay. He doesn't match up well against players who can take his time away and not give him a chance to grind and set up his huge shots. Querrey did that and Thiem almost lost.
SeriousSam wrote:

Looks like he can, but you're right that it's an extremely important skill to have to overcome the ultra defenders (Murray, Djokovic, Nadal). It's why Ferrer never won a slam.

Pretty much. The way I see it is that when you're playing somebody who's just better than you, playing your normal game is gonna lose you the match anyway, so you're going with a different game plan. Playing super aggro is the way for players to take the match on their own rackets. Only very few players do it in basically every match.
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

20 May 2017 19:07

SeriousSam wrote:Isn't Djokovic recovering?

It would seem very much so
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

03 Jun 2017 11:04

SeriousSam wrote:

Well, to be fair to Ferrer, he was never a power guy. He is actually just a smaller version of Djokovic. He can defend really well, but he doesn't offer much of an offensive game to worry the top guys, unless they are beating themselves with UE's. He doesn't have the serve and his biggest weapon is his movement and endurance. He doesn't have kill shots, doesn't go down the line that often and when he is getting beat, he doesn't have a B or C plan, whereas the other guys do. Thiem may not have B or C plans either, but he hits bigger, flatter and can overpower guys like Nadal or Murray or Djokovic, though doing it at a consistent basis is easier said than done. Soderling could overpower anyone, but he couldn't sustain it, and he also played stinkers in the two RG finals he played (2009 lost to Fed after beating Nadal and 2010 lost to Nadal after beating Fed.) Thiem actually defends pretty well, but we'll see how he copes now as one of the biggest outsiders, particularly here at the French.
BullsFan22

Re: The real Tennis thread.

03 Jun 2017 11:53

Cilic just thrashed another opponent today. True, a 35 almost a 36 year old Lopez who doesn't actually prefer clay courts, despite being Spanish may not have been the toughest opponent Cilic could have faced in the first week here, but if he plays well, he is a dangerous player, even past his prime, particularly with a tricky serve and volley game and the lefty thing. In the first two rounds Cilic played Gulbis, who I actually didn't even know was still around, and he beat him easily. He then played a Russian journeyman named Konstantin Kravchuk and not surprisingly dismissed him easily. Three matches, three fairly routine sets and I don't think he's been broken yet, which to me is impressive, particularly on clay. Now plays the winner of Edmund/Anderson in round 4. Should be the big favorite to make the QF's for the first time. Those two guys could be playing five sets. Cilic has had a decent clay season thus far, winning a title in Istanbul over Raonic and made it to the QF of Monte Carlo and Rome MS.

Also, Del Potro and Murray are on right now. I think Del Potro can surprise Murray here. Murray hasn't had the best clay season and actually hasn't had a great year in general, so this one is a toss up, but I fancy DelPo in 5. DelPo himself has had a quiet year, but his lack of success is due to injury issues. I really feel bad for him. I think the last full season he had was 2013. Since then it's been seasons of injury and missing huge chunks of the year. His problems started in 2010 with the wrists. I don't think he's strung up two consecutive complete seasons since winning the US Open in 2009.
BullsFan22

03 Jun 2017 13:31

I also thought DelPo could upset Murray, but Murray seems to (just) have the upper hand in a tight match
Brullnux

03 Jun 2017 15:10

I wonder if Stosur can do something in the women's. She seems to have found some form even though it is pretty rare for her these days.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2017 13:50

Stosur beaten by an unseeded player in Ostapenko but one that seems to have a bright future.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2017 14:36

There's something mesmerizing about the Raonic-Carreno Busta match.
User avatar Rechtschreibfehler

04 Jun 2017 17:27

Still no lost set for Thiem, although to be fair his opponents have been very easy so far. Nevertheless as an Austrian I'm getting a bit hyped, although Thiem usually has problems against Djokovic, who will probably be his next opponent.
User avatar Gigs_98

04 Jun 2017 17:39

Gigs_98 wrote:Still no lost set for Thiem, although to be fair his opponents have been very easy so far. Nevertheless as an Austrian I'm getting a bit hyped, although Thiem usually has problems against Djokovic, who will probably be his next opponent.

It's better for Thiem to play Djokovic in 2017 than it was 2011-2015, that's for sure. Obviously Thiem was a teenager for part of that time period, but still, this is a good opportunity for Dominic should he face Djokovic in the quarterfinals. I'd much rather face Djokovic than Nadal at the moment, but unfortunately for the Austrian, he'll more than likely face Nadal in the semis, should he beat Djokovic. He may have had an easy draw up to this point, but now the brutality starts, Djokovic and then Nadal, back to back? Good luck with that in a best of 5 on clay. Anyway, Thiem is capable of beating these guys, but he'll need that going for broke style to really be ON, otherwise it'll be tough, to say the least.
BullsFan22

04 Jun 2017 17:48

I haven't watched tennis with such an interest since Becker-Lendl-Edberg time.
Good matches so far in Paris.
User avatar sir fly

04 Jun 2017 18:54

Hopefully the Thiem will put up more of a fight to Djokovic this time.
User avatar Red Rick

05 Jun 2017 13:40

I think if Thiem can somehow take out Djokovic, Nadal will be very relieved. In the best of 3 format I can't see anyone but Djokovic beat him when he's playing this well. Of course if Wawrinka were to morph into his Stanimal form where he goes for every shot and consistently hits the lines, Nadal would be in trouble too
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

07 Jun 2017 10:27

Thiem just won the first set in the tie break. Markets now see it as a coinflip as to who's going to win
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

07 Jun 2017 11:20

Thiem playing excellent.
Đoković got up earlier than usually... and on the left foot, it seems.
User avatar sir fly

07 Jun 2017 11:33

Djokovic completely collapsed and got bagelled in the last set. Almost felt sorry for him
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General