Log in:  

Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

23 Jan 2018 08:27

fauniera wrote:
Svitolina is still there and she is playing well. She could win her first Grand Slam tournament.

Or not. :(
User avatar fauniera
Member
 
Posts: 1,419
Joined: 12 Oct 2013 15:00

23 Jan 2018 12:58

Nadal retires in the fifth set against Cilic. What odds Federer ?
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,469
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

23 Jan 2018 13:42

cilic is playing very well, he can win this tournament for sure.
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

23 Jan 2018 15:17

The entire tournament is a wreck on the men's side.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,334
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

24 Jan 2018 01:07

keys was a joke today... my daughter would have beaten keys with one leg...
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

24 Jan 2018 11:40

after watching berdych vs roger, I think cilic has a chance of winning the big trophy.
halep toyed with pliskova, I already knew that thid match would be a walk in the park for halep. Pliskova can't play long rallies
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: The real Tennis thread.

24 Jan 2018 12:08

Halep dominated short rallies as well. Her return is simply too good for Pliskova. Now i hope she can beat Kerber.
User avatar fauniera
Member
 
Posts: 1,419
Joined: 12 Oct 2013 15:00

24 Jan 2018 13:14

Yeah I'd like to see Halep win even though I tipped Kerber..
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,469
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: The real Tennis thread.

24 Jan 2018 13:49

Kerber is probably one of the most uncomfortable players to play against. Lefty, runs a lot of balls down, doesn't beat herself, feeds off the opponents pace and can produce some power of her own. Halep is similar in this regards, but Kerber has the GS trophies.

Hope it's a Halep vs Mertens final. Was never a fan of Wozniacki.

Wouldn't it be something if the men's final is Edmund vs Chong??? Wow.

Cilic is playing pretty well, on that, plus MUCH more experience, merit and general ability, he's the favorite to make it to the final and Federer is self explanatory in the other semi.

Cilic vs Federer in the final. Federer obviously would be the favorite, and it will depend on which Cilic shows up if the final is to be exciting/close. That said, let's see if there are more shockers in the semis first!! What a weird opening slam!!
BullsFan22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,067
Joined: 22 Jun 2010 21:19

Re: The real Tennis thread.

24 Jan 2018 15:03

BullsFan22 wrote:Kerber is probably one of the most uncomfortable players to play against. Lefty, runs a lot of balls down, doesn't beat herself, feeds off the opponents pace and can produce some power of her own. Halep is similar in this regards, but Kerber has the GS trophies.

Hope it's a Halep vs Mertens final. Was never a fan of Wozniacki.

Wouldn't it be something if the men's final is Edmund vs Chong??? Wow.

Cilic is playing pretty well, on that, plus MUCH more experience, merit and general ability, he's the favorite to make it to the final and Federer is self explanatory in the other semi.

Cilic vs Federer in the final. Federer obviously would be the favorite, and it will depend on which Cilic shows up if the final is to be exciting/close. That said, let's see if there are more shockers in the semis first!! What a weird opening slam!!

Federer is still not playing well, but every player of note has melted all by themself, or they were drawn against each other. The men's tournament is super underwhelming and the women's tournament has 3 defensive players left.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,334
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

24 Jan 2018 16:39

Grigor Dimitrov's grandfather passed away just before AO began. His parents decided to keep it a secret but he suspected something was amiss before the QF against Edmund...
killswitch
Member
 
Posts: 1,169
Joined: 15 May 2010 20:15

Re:

24 Jan 2018 17:51

portugal11 wrote:I'm feeling a
final between kyrgios/federer and a final between Halep/ostapenko.


I totally see (now) a semifinal between dimitrov and nadal, and roger vs djokovic. Federer has everything to win a 20th grand slam.


portugal11 wrote:after watching berdych vs roger, I think cilic has a chance of winning the big trophy.


I am now confident that cilic has no chance
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

24 Jan 2018 19:56

With the Fed backhand back on a decent level, I'm sure Cilic's chances are smaller now than prior to today's match.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,472
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

Re:

24 Jan 2018 20:10

killswitch wrote:Grigor Dimitrov's grandfather passed away just before AO began. His parents decided to keep it a secret but he suspected something was amiss before the QF against Edmund...

Do you have a link to the story?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,334
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

25 Jan 2018 11:38

halep is such a player. what a beast!! this girl deserves a major and she will win one sooner or later
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: Re:

25 Jan 2018 11:39

Brullnux wrote:
portugal11 wrote:I'm feeling a
final between kyrgios/federer and a final between Halep/ostapenko.


I totally see (now) a semifinal between dimitrov and nadal, and roger vs djokovic. Federer has everything to win a 20th grand slam.


portugal11 wrote:after watching berdych vs roger, I think cilic has a chance of winning the big trophy.


I am now confident that cilic has no chance

I wasn't that bad... federer is almost in the final and halep is in the final so I was (probably) right in two finalists
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re:

25 Jan 2018 13:00

portugal11 wrote:halep is such a player. what a beast!! this girl deserves a major and she will win one sooner or later


Could be a close match. Both players are nervous types and one of them is going to win their first major.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,469
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: The real Tennis thread.

25 Jan 2018 18:03

Wozniacki vs Mertens showed once again how incredibly important momentum is in tennis. When Mertens had the two set points shortly after making 10 points in a row I was almost completely sure she would at least win that set but then Wozniacki somehow managed to escape the break and the tie break wasn't even close. I wonder if Mertens had won the tie break if she had already completely focussed the tiebreak when Caroline served. Mertens had the momentum on her side, was suddenly the outstanding favorite to win the set but only because Woznicacki almost didn't even win equalize the set the momentum could change again and suddenly be on Wozniacki's side while Mertens couldn't get over the fact that she blew a lead.

The players mentality in this sport is really more fascinating than in any other sport I know.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,729
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: The real Tennis thread.

25 Jan 2018 20:22

Gigs_98 wrote:Wozniacki vs Mertens showed once again how incredibly important momentum is in tennis. When Mertens had the two set points shortly after making 10 points in a row I was almost completely sure she would at least win that set but then Wozniacki somehow managed to escape the break and the tie break wasn't even close. I wonder if Mertens had won the tie break if she had already completely focussed the tiebreak when Caroline served. Mertens had the momentum on her side, was suddenly the outstanding favorite to win the set but only because Woznicacki almost didn't even win equalize the set the momentum could change again and suddenly be on Wozniacki's side while Mertens couldn't get over the fact that she blew a lead.

The players mentality in this sport is really more fascinating than in any other sport I know.

To be fair, those momentum shifts are way crazier in the women's game than in the men's game. In the men's game you know for certain players exactly the moment when they're gonna screw up or make the shot.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,334
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: The real Tennis thread.

25 Jan 2018 20:43

Watched the highlights of the Halep Kerber match. It was pretty good, but again, it's just 'highlights.' Both ran a lot of balls down, especially Kerber...both had power, winners...Halep will really need to improve her serve against Wozniacki, but she's capable of breaking anyone, so there will be a number of breaks in the final, no doubt about that, unless someone is serving above expectations. One thing that surprised me was that for a three setter, and a 9-7 scoreline in the 3rd, it wasn't that long, 2:20. That's good for Halep, because if this was another 4 hour match, it wouldn't have done much good. This is now the 2nd match of the tournament where she's saved multiple match points. This 'should' help her before the final, knowing she can hold her nerve. That said, she is in a similar position as in 2017 Roland Garros. Escaped against Svitolina, then was in command against Ostapenko in the Final and ended up choking.
BullsFan22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,067
Joined: 22 Jun 2010 21:19

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Back to top