Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

25 Jan 2018 23:16

Chungs serve to get picked off? he really does need improve it if he wants serve those speeds it needs be a very high 1st serve %. Pity Edmund was carrying an injury
This weeks blog covers Israel Cycling, women's cycling welfare, and I try not get started on World Tour field size. http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/letstalkcycling-muses/ :D
User avatar manafana

Re: The real Tennis thread.

25 Jan 2018 23:23

BullsFan22 wrote:Watched the highlights of the Halep Kerber match. It was pretty good, but again, it's just 'highlights.' Both ran a lot of balls down, especially Kerber...both had power, winners...Halep will really need to improve her serve against Wozniacki, but she's capable of breaking anyone, so there will be a number of breaks in the final, no doubt about that, unless someone is serving above expectations. One thing that surprised me was that for a three setter, and a 9-7 scoreline in the 3rd, it wasn't that long, 2:20. That's good for Halep, because if this was another 4 hour match, it wouldn't have done much good. This is now the 2nd match of the tournament where she's saved multiple match points. This 'should' help her before the final, knowing she can hold her nerve. That said, she is in a similar position as in 2017 Roland Garros. Escaped against Svitolina, then was in command against Ostapenko in the Final and ended up choking.

Just watched those highlights too. Very impressive hitting from Halep, didn't knew she had that kind of hitting in her. I figured Kerber would just outgrind her.

In any case, you could see at times that both players were slowing down a bit in the third set, and started being more selective in chasing balls in longer rallies. Some people claim the women can play 5 sets, but with their lack of serve and short points, it's just not possible
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

26 Jan 2018 09:54

I see a strong comparison between this Australian Open and most of the recent Tour de Frances.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

26 Jan 2018 09:57

Wait is Wozniacki actually winning a Slam? :D
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

26 Jan 2018 10:11

Valv.Piti wrote:Wait is Wozniacki actually winning a Slam? :D

I hope not... her voice annoys me as hell, seems a pig squealing in the slaughterhouse and her defensive game is ugly to my eyes.
Cheung is in of my dark list now, He really gave up because federer was humiliating him on the court?
portugal11

26 Jan 2018 12:11

Not a classic Australian Open by a long shot with so many withdrawals before and during matches. The Women's has been the more interesting. Maybe both finals can rectify things a little.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 Jan 2018 13:13

Excellent match between Halep and Kerber yesterday. Was on the edge of my seat many times. Happy for Halep. Hope she can win this GS.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

26 Jan 2018 14:29

Federer looked good. I mean I know he barely broke a sweat only playing a set and a bit, but his timing is good. He didn't have any real tough matches. Cilic fought off Harrison in 4, Carreno Busta in 4 and Nadal in basically 4 though Nadal retired, obviously. I think fitness shouldn't be an issue for Cilic and he isn't battling any blisters (as he did at Wimbledon). Hopefully the final we'll be a good one.
BullsFan22

Re:

26 Jan 2018 15:35

Valv.Piti wrote:Wait is Wozniacki actually winning a Slam? :D

She's definitely playing very well right now but Halep's draw has been something else entirely. I think Halep is the favorite in the final.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

26 Jan 2018 15:39

BullsFan22 wrote:Federer looked good. I mean I know he barely broke a sweat only playing a set and a bit, but his timing is good. He didn't have any real tough matches. Cilic fought off Harrison in 4, Carreno Busta in 4 and Nadal in basically 4 though Nadal retired, obviously. I think fitness shouldn't be an issue for Cilic and he isn't battling any blisters (as he did at Wimbledon). Hopefully the final we'll be a good one.

Cilic had the double rest day, fitness isn't an issue for either player.

Meanwhile, Chung was definitely not faking anything

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeahCqcBaem/

Quite gory. Don't look at it if you have a weak stomach
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

27 Jan 2018 11:26

disgusting medical timeout from wozniacki
portugal11

Re:

27 Jan 2018 11:26

portugal11 wrote:disgusting medical timeout from wozniacki

In contrast to Halep's time-out ????
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re: Re:

27 Jan 2018 11:29

Cance > TheRest wrote:

the timing was very different
portugal11

Re: Re:

27 Jan 2018 11:39

portugal11 wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:

the timing was very different

Well that's just like your opinion man :)

Personally I thought it was a thrilling finale. Especially the first set was some of the best tennis in this years AO, but then both players started to lose concentration in the 2nd set (which was a strange one to be honest). Wozniacki started to fail on her serve, which gave the set to Halep (who despite appearing laboured managed to hold serve). In the 3rd set, it became quite evident that the serve was the key to winning the match. Halep's serve started failing, her groundstrokes lost accuracy and so it didn't matter that Wozniacki didn't manage to hold serve either. But in the end, at 4-4, she upped her service game and managed 5-4. Unfortunately for Halep, she couldn't find the serve that brought her the 2nd set when it mattered the most.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

27 Jan 2018 11:43

halep lost this final because of kerber...
portugal11

Re:

27 Jan 2018 11:49

portugal11 wrote:halep lost this final because of kerber...

no.halep lost this match because she is halep! mentally fragil!
capuldemetal

27 Jan 2018 13:57

Too bad for Halep. Paris then.
User avatar fauniera

Re:

27 Jan 2018 14:33

portugal11 wrote:halep lost this final because of kerber...

How, exactly, did she lose the final because of Kerber? Of course ... if Kerber had beaten her in the semi-final, she wouldn't have lost the final...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

27 Jan 2018 15:34

Let's face it, Halep should be at least happy she made it this far. She injured her ankle on day one, she probably wondered if she would even continue with the tournament, escaped three match points against Davis, escaped two against Kerber and she was fighting again today against Wozniacki. A tough road compounded with an injury. It sucks that she lost another GS final, but I she'll have other chances, yes, chances, plural.

She could become like Murray or Lendl and win multiple slams after losing the first 3 or 4. Lendl lost 4 finals before finally winning, Murray lost 5 before winning the 2012 US Open. She deserves one now more than ever.
BullsFan22

27 Jan 2018 16:06

BullsFan22 wrote:Let's face it, Halep should be at least happy she made it this far. She injured her ankle on day one, she probably wondered if she would even continue with the tournament, escaped three match points against Davis, escaped two against Kerber and she was fighting again today against Wozniacki. A tough road compounded with an injury. It sucks that she lost another GS final, but I she'll have other chances, yes, chances, plural.

She could become like Murray or Lendl and win multiple slams after losing the first 3 or 4. Lendl lost 4 finals before finally winning, Murray lost 5 before winning the 2012 US Open. She deserves one now more than ever.

Murray lost 4 finals before winning the USO, and was won the Olympics like 4 weeks after losing his first Wimbly final. Murray never really choked in Slam finals before that though, he just got outplayed or sucked. Halep could've won 3 Slams by now if she was more clutch, but I don't really blame her much for this final. She was physically done and fought to the end.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General