Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Aug 2018 19:23

Kyrgios was casually tanking away until the umpire of all people gave him a pep talk. Kyrgios then proceeded to win 19 of the next 25 games or something for a 46 76 63 60 win vs Herbert.

Apparently Mo Lahyani is under investigation already
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

02 Sep 2018 11:54

Red Rick wrote:Kyrgios was casually tanking away until the umpire of all people gave him a pep talk. Kyrgios then proceeded to win 19 of the next 25 games or something for a 46 76 63 60 win vs Herbert.

Apparently Mo Lahyani is under investigation already

Kyrgios didn't seem to be paying much attention anyway...very odd.

Crowd got their money's worth with Cilic and De Minaur. Kyrgios should watch the young Australian's performance and he might learn something from it........maybe....
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: The real Tennis thread.

03 Sep 2018 11:01

Thiem was really impressive yesterday. Don't think I have ever seen him play that well on hard court. If he is able to repeat this kind of performance against Nadal he might have a chance to beat him. Needless to say it will be difficult but I'm looking forward to the match.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

03 Sep 2018 12:03

11th meeting. First meeting off clay. Not sure what the HC will do for Thiem, but his best match vs Nadal this year was in Madrid, which is the fastest of the Euro clay tournaments.

I think Anderson made very bad adjustments that Nadal won't make.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

04 Sep 2018 08:16

Fed what the hell :o
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

05 Sep 2018 08:21

No Dominic, so freakin close. Excuse my nationalism but I just feel so gutted right now. I don't want to think of how his tournament could have ended if he had won this
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

05 Sep 2018 10:13

Thiem needs to stop choking. He doesn't have the hilarity of Zverev in Slams but I cant remember when he clutched out a close win in a really big match vs a top opponent.

But he really showed a gear I didn't think he had on HC. It's exactly when he plays Nadal that you can see how different he is from Wawrinka.

People keep awing over Fed hitting a relatively easy shot around the net post, but those single handed backhand passes while sliding in open stance are easily the hardest conventional shot in the game and Thiem is the only one who can do that. Guy is brutally strong

Delpo would have been super hard, Djoko possibly even harder.

This loss also means he only has a tiny margin on Isner going into the fall season to qualify for the WTF. Thiem traditionally sucks in the fall
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

08 Sep 2018 11:33

So, with Nishikori's loss yesterday, it will mark the first time no player under the age of 30 has won a Grand Slam.

Cilic and Del Potro are turning 30 in a few weeks.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Sep 2018 05:05

The Women's final was a disgrace. Williams should cop a suspension for that and the after match comments were just as bad. She has a track record of such behavior and sometimes I think it's calculated to upset her opponent.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 07:50

I don't understand why Serena always gets so much praise everywhere he goes. She is total scum. When she got that game violation I almost fell out of my chair laughing
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Sep 2018 08:39

She deserved it. And whenever she does something wrong she always claims she's fighting for women's rights or whatever when in fact she's just a bully. She called him corrupt. That's abuse. Simple as that.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2018 09:08

Brullnux wrote:She deserved it. And whenever she does something wrong she always claims she's fighting for women's rights or whatever when in fact she's just a bully. She called him corrupt. That's abuse. Simple as that.

She was completely unhinged

She suggested rules shouldn't apply to her

She said she wasn't a cheater 'because she has a daughter'

I am sad she'll never fade into irrelevance due to her awful cult status
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Sep 2018 10:37

100% agree with the posts above. She is probably the only tennis player I absolutely cannot stand. She has that typical American diva attitude that women like Lindsey vonn have as well and it's unbearable. I feel incredibly sorry for the referee who did absolutely nothing wrong but will probably never get to referee a big match again after this just because Williams can't admit she made a mistake. And that point she lost and which lead to the discussions and subsequently to the game she lost didn't even matter. She didn't make one point that game so 99% she would have lost it anyway. Her complaining had nothing to do with fairness it was 100% her ego.

Anyway, the focus should actually be on Osaka who played a fantastic match and absolutely deserved that win. When she served for the match i was so afraid she would blow it as listening to a winners interview by Williams would have been unbearable after what happened.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 16:13

The booing of Osaka was appalling. Her big moment was spoilt by some sections of the parochial crowd and the nauseating behavior of her opponent.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:49

movingtarget wrote:The booing of Osaka was appalling. Her big moment was spoilt by some sections of the parochial crowd and the nauseating behavior of her opponent.

Serena was working through four or five situations at once..As the elite player in her sport I was blown away by her lack of composure..physically..waiting multiple seconds before smashing the racquet..totally contrived..
.when disputing the calls she went into some strange history lesson about how something always happens to her in NY and she didn't stop there..then it was on to ...
your treating me this way because I am a woman
...thank God for all of us that she didn't to the next place..Nike may have reached critical mass of she had...
What nobody had said was the cheating..in her press conference she couldn't coordinate the story...if you watch what happens...she is penalized for getting coaching signals from the stands...while on the court Serena says there are no signals,just normal encouragement...minutes after the match..her coach says yes there were signals,he further says that everyone does it..names other player coach communication combos ...then when Serena is asked at her press conference..she says yes my coach said that but I don't know what he is talking about..
I feel bad that a player takes a hit for a coach's conduct...but when the guy said he broke the rules and his reinforcement was that everybody does it...that was weak.. But it was clear were Serena got some of it..the coach went into his own history lesson about tennis hypocrisy and culture..about athletes being able to express themselves without serious penalty.
Her comments about character and role model as a mother in real time was hard to take..the guy was making a call at a tennis tournament and suddenly he is being accused of character assault, sexual discrimination and wow..I can't believe that only cost $17,000 fine..scary how fast she pivoted into capital punishment mode...very very scary
Unchained

09 Sep 2018 19:13

i could not watch the game live and still didn't...so, cant say anything as a direct witness. but i read some and what really surprised me WHY no one - at least in those articles or the posts here - ...why her accusations of the umpire in sexism are not criticized for their apparent stupidity.

really, :rolleyes: osaka as is a woman too, isn't she..a plain logic and evidence indicate she did not receive a punishment for being a woman. she's plainly a woman that did not break the rules, unlike williams.

i'd kind understand better, while also rejecting, the accusations in the umpire personal dislike or racism...but the sexism accusations i just don't get :Question:
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 19:31

She's a sore loser, always has been. I suspect she did her thing partly because she has an incredible sense of entitlement, partly to try and unhinge her opponent. Disgusting, but even more disgusting was how she played the sexism card afterwards. Horrible person. Horrible crowd.
User avatar Jagartrott

09 Sep 2018 19:59

Her coach was asked straight forward simply questions for..which he gave direct answers,without hesitation..were you giving signals? Yes..did you know that was against the rules?yes..everybody does it..then he gave Rafael Nadal a push..but not directly under the bus..So Serena is a cheat because Nadal gets signals from the stands...?the coach was clear..the rule is ignored therefore shouldn't be enforced..the guy could be right..but it's pretty bold to second guess the ref..and bolder still to expect a rule change to be done of the fly...during the match...
During the Little League World Series..the umpire in English warned the batter about exiting and re-entering the batter's box..it was clear that the 11 year old not didn't completely understand the warning in a foreign language..when he stepped out a second time..he was called out...the Ump looked like a chump...the tennis officials could have warned Serena's coach away from the action...things may have ended the same...but I doubt it...all involved turned something minor into...this...the officials should have enforced the rule differently...in cycling we have two riders out after crashing into officials...one out after officials tell helicopter to land prematurely..these pesky refs!!!!
Right now Tom Brady is clearly cheating!!!!I want my $20 bet nullified!!!
Unchained

09 Sep 2018 21:30

Rip Del Potro, Djokovic in god mode
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

10 Sep 2018 00:37

Red Rick wrote:Rip Del Potro, Djokovic in god mode

Also noted, the behavior by the men in their final and after the match compared to the cartoon the previous night.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General