Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: The real Tennis thread.

23 Jan 2019 14:40

Pliškova deserves a slam. She's been there or thereabouts for a number of years now. She was briefly no 1 in 2017, and she's in the running for it again after Halep's loss, but I think more importantly it's winning a slam.

Yeah, Nishikori having to pull out is sad, but he's played very tough matches in every round and his history with injuries, this was always going to be on the cards. I also think the win in the previous round against Carreno Busta was under dubious circumstances. I don't mean he didn't deserve it, he played well and toughed it out, but the umpire was rubbish and he very likely stole a win from Carreno Busta. I wasn't shocked that the Spaniard reacted to the way he did. When you lose a very physical and mental match like that in the way that he did, you have to have sympathy. I probably would have reacted similarly.

I can't really see Pouille challenge Djokovic and Nadal is on a mission as well. We are heading for a Djokovic Nadal final. Honestly it's been quite boring to see the same few players challenge for the tournament titles for the past decade!
BullsFan22

23 Jan 2019 15:54

It's honestly so sad to see young players nowadays. Tsitsipas, the new, superhyped young talent is playing the old champion who's coming back from injury and it looks to be a complete never in doubt match.

Tsitsipas actually said that his 4 goals this year included winning an ATP1000 but to semifinal a Slam. Like they want to beat the best in the world but are okay if it doesn't happen at the biggest stage. Add to that that it's just unfunny how far after their prime the Big 3 are.

Imagine this in 2011/2012. Big 4 at their peak. Guys like Tsitsipas wouldn't be top 20 in those days.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

23 Jan 2019 17:05

Red Rick wrote:It's honestly so sad to see young players nowadays. Tsitsipas, the new, superhyped young talent is playing the old champion who's coming back from injury and it looks to be a complete never in doubt match.

Tsitsipas actually said that his 4 goals this year included winning an ATP1000 but to semifinal a Slam. Like they want to beat the best in the world but are okay if it doesn't happen at the biggest stage. Add to that that it's just unfunny how far after their prime the Big 3 are.

Imagine this in 2011/2012. Big 4 at their peak. Guys like Tsitsipas wouldn't be top 20 in those days.

It's not an easy task to comprehend the fact it's you who's the next big thing.
Especially with the generations grown up in environment flexible enough to create their own little worlds with things that give them meaning.
I wouldn't like to be annoying or bore you, but look at the snooker and the 'Class of 92'... Ronnie sure is the one in millions, but Higgins and Williams aren't that much more talented or better trained than the other generations, yet they're still winning the majors and everything else they take aim to.
Lots of things play part in achievement, but self-perception is what scales the bar.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

23 Jan 2019 19:52

I'm hardly the only one thinking this. There's a lot of things that changed the landscape, and frankly the sport is desperate for fresh blood. It's lucky the Slam race still adds excitement even though we've seen the same players clash a million times.

The bar was raised to unprecedented heights, and now it's slowly coming down. The big 4 raised the bar, and they made each other better, more so than others. Tennis got a lot more emphasis on physicality, and many young players breaking through are physically very gifted but somehow they came on tour with pretty obvious technical flaws in their games that are very hard to fix. The last one is an observation that's very hard to explain if you assume that methods for training and developing young players have gotten better.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

23 Jan 2019 19:58

Red Rick wrote:It's honestly so sad to see young players nowadays. Tsitsipas, the new, superhyped young talent is playing the old champion who's coming back from injury and it looks to be a complete never in doubt match.

I remember watching Agassi and Sampras going at it in the 2002 US Open final. I remember thinking wow, these old guys have been around for a while, where are the young guns, where is the change of generations? And though Sampras retired literally right after that match and Agassi, certainly after his last GS title in the 2003 Australian, just 4 months after the USO, wasn't the same guy that could retrieve and hit groundstrokes, I look back and think that they weren't that old at 31 (Sampras) and 32 Agassi. Djokovic is almost 32 and Nadal is almost 33, and they are most likely to make it to the final. Federer will be 38 this year, but I think he can still go far in GS's, and if he serves really well and gets a good draw, he could win another one. I understand that athletes of today train better and probably take care of their bodies a bit better with nutrition and having big support teams around them to guide them, but this should still be a young mans game!

It definitely is sad to see the youngsters not living up, at least not yet. I get that they don't have the talent that someone like Federer has or even Nadal and Djokovic have, but they should be physically more fresh and have the desire. Maybe someone like Kyrgios who could care less a lot of the time is not a good example, but I think a lot of the younger, under 25 players do have the drive, but maybe not the mental toughness? At the same time, they are a bit pompous and I don't like the douchy attitude, so maybe it's not a bad think some of them aren't living up to expectations, haha!
BullsFan22

Re:

23 Jan 2019 20:00

Red Rick wrote:I'm hardly the only one thinking this. There's a lot of things that changed the landscape, and frankly the sport is desperate for fresh blood. It's lucky the Slam race still adds excitement even though we've seen the same players clash a million times.

The bar was raised to unprecedented heights, and now it's slowly coming down. The big 4 raised the bar, and they made each other better, more so than others. Tennis got a lot more emphasis on physicality, and many young players breaking through are physically very gifted but somehow they came on tour with pretty obvious technical flaws in their games that are very hard to fix. The last one is an observation that's very hard to explain if you assume that methods for training and developing young players have gotten better.

Sorry, was still writing the comment, didn't know you had another post! I see that some of the things you wrote are more or less the same as I did. I wouldn't have written what I did if I saw your comment, or I simply would have agreed!
BullsFan22

23 Jan 2019 22:27

Tennis seems to be quick to anoint the next big thing but invariably such players fall by the wayside or are very inconsistent. Someone like Kyrgios is a prime example. He doesn't seem to have the mental or physical capacity to keep improving.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Jan 2019 10:35

Rafa d. Tsitsipas 6-2 6-4 6-0

So much for the hype.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

25 Jan 2019 10:30

Djokovic d. Pouille 6-0 6-2 6-2

This final better be good.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

25 Jan 2019 10:38

Red Rick wrote:Djokovic d. Pouille 6-0 6-2 6-2

I see Djoko Nadal went 5 hours at WImbledon already.

So maybe we can see a repeat of arguably the greatest match of all time, 7 years ago here.

The BBC will always make sure 2008 wimbledon is seen as the greatest match ever, because that was their event, but I think those without those party ties may see the Djoko Nadal thing, the piece de resistance of a rivalry that surely now ranks above Djoko Federer and Nadal Federer, as the best match in history.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re: Re:

25 Jan 2019 10:59

The Hitch wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Djokovic d. Pouille 6-0 6-2 6-2

I see Djoko Nadal went 5 hours at WImbledon already.

So maybe we can see a repeat of arguably the greatest match of all time, 7 years ago here.

The BBC will always make sure 2008 wimbledon is seen as the greatest match ever, because that was their event, but I think those without those party ties may see the Djoko Nadal thing, the piece de resistance of a rivalry that surely now ranks above Djoko Federer and Nadal Federer, as the best match in history.

Most dramatic matches of all time? Probably. Best? Not in my opinion.

I've long considered Djokovic/Nadal the best rivalry in tennis. Djokovic/Federer is also better, and Federer/Nadal is much closer to Djokovic/Murray than the others.

Now most of the legend of the Fedal rivarly comes from the fact that they got there first. Djokovic has been the third wheel, always has been, and doesn't get the attention he deserves compared to Fed and Nadal because of that.

As for the final, both are in better form than in Wimbledon. I think Djokovic is the favorite to win here.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

27 Jan 2019 11:06

Djokovic wins 6-3 6-2 6-2.

Really disappointing match. Disappointing tournament on the men's side. At least they got some mileage out of hyping young players
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

27 Jan 2019 11:08

I watched 5 minutes of the beginning of the last set, what a waste of time.
kingjr

Re:

27 Jan 2019 12:31

Red Rick wrote:Djokovic wins 6-3 6-2 6-2.

Really disappointing match. Disappointing tournament on the men's side. At least they got some mileage out of hyping young players

Yes but I thought the women's side was quite good.
movingtarget
Veteran

27 Jan 2019 14:14

User avatar tobydawq

Re:

27 Jan 2019 15:24

tobydawq wrote:https://twitter.com/ATP_Tour/status/1089511083109425152

:D :D :D
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

27 Jan 2019 17:24

So pathetic, mocking a man because of his accent while he's speaking in a foreign language while doing his job. And then laughing at your own joke. But what else can one expect from the biggest fake tennis player these days.
craig1985 wrote:And BTW, DenisMenchov, smile a bit.
User avatar DenisMenchov

27 Jan 2019 18:34

DenisMenchov wrote:

So pathetic, mocking a man because of his accent while he's speaking in a foreign language while doing his job. And then laughing at your own joke. But what else can one expect from the biggest fake tennis player these days.

He just won a Grand Slam. He should be allowed to be in a silly mood. And it was funny, so there's no need to not laugh.

He even said sorry and seemed like he knew the journalist.
User avatar tobydawq

27 Jan 2019 18:49

tobydawq wrote:
DenisMenchov wrote:

He just won a Grand Slam. He should be allowed to be in a silly mood. And it was funny, so there's no need to not laugh.

He even said sorry and seemed like he knew the journalist.

So, if you're successful at something, it's okay to be a jerk? Also if you say sorry afterwards? Yeah, he said sorry, and mocked him right after it... For me it wasn't funny at all.
craig1985 wrote:And BTW, DenisMenchov, smile a bit.
User avatar DenisMenchov

Re:

27 Jan 2019 19:44

Red Rick wrote:Djokovic wins 6-3 6-2 6-2.

So Red Rick do you think Djokovic can match Federer's number of Grand Slams?
del1962
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General