Log in:  

Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

13 Nov 2016 06:37

That was easy
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,992
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

13 Nov 2016 15:52

Surprised how easy it was for McGregor at the end. But sitll more amazed how Stephen Thompson survived the 4th round and actually came out stronger of the two by the end of the round.With the planned main event being so one-sided, the Woodley-Thompson bout was the actual highlight of the night for me.
User avatar Põhja Konn
Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: 01 Sep 2012 17:09

Re:

14 Nov 2016 03:57

Põhja Konn wrote:Surprised how easy it was for McGregor at the end. But sitll more amazed how Stephen Thompson survived the 4th round and actually came out stronger of the two by the end of the round.With the planned main event being so one-sided, the Woodley-Thompson bout was the actual highlight of the night for me.


I only caught the last 2 rounds of this fight. I'm gonna have to find the fight.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,992
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

15 Dec 2016 21:31

Brock Lesnar finally punished for drug taking after Mark Hunt fight

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11768202
User avatar JackRabbitSlims
Member
 
Posts: 1,474
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 01:06
Location: On The Road.

Re:

15 Dec 2016 21:56

JackRabbitSlims wrote:Brock Lesnar finally punished for drug taking after Mark Hunt fight

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11768202

This will only slow him down a little, meanwhile he can perform in the WWE and make millions of dollars....
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,788
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

31 Dec 2016 23:58

Jeez....Rhonda got smashed!!......Again.

What will become?
User avatar JackRabbitSlims
Member
 
Posts: 1,474
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 01:06
Location: On The Road.

01 Jan 2017 08:58

Hopefully nowhere near a professional fight again, for everyone's sake. She had a head start on everyone and didn't use that to develop skills necessary to maintain her dominance, now she's so far behind it's too late to do anything about it. Hope she can get her head in the right space and enjoy the riches she's made.
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,909
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

Re:

01 Jan 2017 16:23

Ferminal wrote:Hopefully nowhere near a professional fight again, for everyone's sake. She had a head start on everyone and didn't use that to develop skills necessary to maintain her dominance, now she's so far behind it's too late to do anything about it. Hope she can get her head in the right space and enjoy the riches she's made.


Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there!
User avatar JackRabbitSlims
Member
 
Posts: 1,474
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 01:06
Location: On The Road.

01 Jan 2017 20:00

I payed to watch the fight. Luckily the two fights before the main event were very nice. Will be looking forward to a Dillashaw/Garbrandt fight.
Meisha Tate thought Ronda was gonna lose. Said it didn't seem like she had her head in the game. Her coachs must be stupid. She didn't even try to bring the fight to the mat.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,992
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

02 Jan 2017 18:23

Agree with everyone. When others developed, she didn't. Her boxing skills looked very poor and amateurish in two fights in a row now, and like Tate said, her head was somewhere else. She should retire, take up acting, or almost anything else.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 10,000
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

17 Jun 2017 15:54

Holm kicked Correia's head off! Bethe's taunting looks pretty stupid now.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

19 Jun 2017 07:32

..............mayweather (legend) v mc gregor ( loud mouthed wannabe ) it sure ain't gonna be prettty............

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

25 Jun 2017 19:55

Sonnen vs Silva looked like a throwback fight! :)
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

26 Jun 2017 19:41

At the Bellator in NY, Matt Mitrione, who some viewed as a scrub, flattened Fedor Emelianenko very quickly after they both knocked each other down. Fedor was much more badly hurt, and the fight was soon over. Just a few years ago Fedor was considered the best in the world when Pride champion. Pretty much one punch did him in here and now he looks beyond washed up. Someone should stop him from ever fighting again.

If someone wanted to see Holm KO Crreira, here it is. Still would like to see Holly open up her offensive arsenal more. It seems like she's capable of using her strikes to KO just about anyone, but hesitates and waits to counter too miuch. I wonder of Nunes can bring that out of her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS55i7lyFmI
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 10,000
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

26 Jun 2017 21:25

Alpe d'Huez wrote:At the Bellator in NY, Matt Mitrione, who some viewed as a scrub, flattened Fedor Emelianenko very quickly after they both knocked each other down. Fedor was much more badly hurt, and the fight was soon over. Just a few years ago Fedor was considered the best in the world when Pride champion. Pretty much one punch did him in here and now he looks beyond washed up. Someone should stop him from ever fighting again.

If someone wanted to see Holm KO Crreira, here it is. Still would like to see Holly open up her offensive arsenal more. It seems like she's capable of using her strikes to KO just about anyone, but hesitates and waits to counter too miuch. I wonder of Nunes can bring that out of her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS55i7lyFmI

Yeah, Fedor looks washed up for sure.

It's actually embarrassing to watch his terribly unfit body lumber around the octagon. He never was very fit looking but he was an animal when fighting just a few short years ago, I guess it doesn't take long to lose your "edge".

I used to be a Fedor fan but it's hard to root for someone that don't take themselves seriously, even at 39 years old he should have been able to handle his opponent. :o
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,788
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re:

27 Jun 2017 03:47

Alpe d'Huez wrote:At the Bellator in NY, Matt Mitrione, who some viewed as a scrub, flattened Fedor Emelianenko very quickly after they both knocked each other down. Fedor was much more badly hurt, and the fight was soon over. Just a few years ago Fedor was considered the best in the world when Pride champion. Pretty much one punch did him in here and now he looks beyond washed up. Someone should stop him from ever fighting again.

If someone wanted to see Holm KO Crreira, here it is. Still would like to see Holly open up her offensive arsenal more. It seems like she's capable of using her strikes to KO just about anyone, but hesitates and waits to counter too miuch. I wonder of Nunes can bring that out of her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS55i7lyFmI

That's a better video than the one that was up just after the fight (gone now). You gotta feel silly when you showboat and then get KOed! :eek:
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

27 Jun 2017 17:51

I remember laughing so hard when Conor lost to Diaz. I figured at the time that it would derail the absurd Conor hype train. Kind of stopped following MMA soon after.

And now he's in the general news because he somehow arranged a boxing bout against FLOYD MAYWEATHER, one of the best boxers of all time. Getting humiliated for a few rounds will make Conor more money in one night than every UFC fighter's career earnings.

Intrigued, I check his Wikipedia page. Surely he must have done incredibly impressive things since losing to Diaz, restoring the hype train to stratospheric levels. And I see that he's avenged the loss against Diaz and beat Eddie Alvarez.

That's it? How on earth did he secure a fight against Mayweather based on this?
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,166
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 00:06
Location: Now here

Re:

28 Jun 2017 16:20

SeriousSam wrote:I remember laughing so hard when Conor lost to Diaz. I figured at the time that it would derail the absurd Conor hype train. Kind of stopped following MMA soon after.

And now he's in the general news because he somehow arranged a boxing bout against FLOYD MAYWEATHER, one of the best boxers of all time. Getting humiliated for a few rounds will make Conor more money in one night than every UFC fighter's career earnings.

Intrigued, I check his Wikipedia page. Surely he must have done incredibly impressive things since losing to Diaz, restoring the hype train to stratospheric levels. And I see that he's avenged the loss against Diaz and beat Eddie Alvarez.

That's it? How on earth did he secure a fight against Mayweather based on this?

Its probably more than the next top 10 combined.
Why wouldn't Mayweather take this fight, it will be the easiest £100 million anyone ever earned, i doubt he gets hit once.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 760
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

22 Jul 2017 04:28

jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

23 Jul 2017 17:03

RE: Mayweather/McGregor, Dana White's just following the money. McGregor's trash-talk got the blogosphere buzzing over the potential for this match and it took on a life of its own. The boxing figureheads are aghast at the prospect of prizefighting's GOAT fighting an exhibition bout against a cage brawler, but even they agree this is a match the public were demanding. Just gate and PPV (ignoring sponsorships), this fight should bring in more than $500 million USD. How could you not want a piece of that action?

And before you write off McGregor, let me give you a few 'facts' in the way of numbers.

Mayweather is 40 years old. He scored half of all his professional knock-outs before he'd turned 22. He's fought seven times since he last knocked out an opponent (ko or tko). All seven of those contests went 12 rounds. He won all seven on points but two of them were by split decision.

McGregor is aged 28. In the time since Mayweather last KO'd an opponent, McGregor has fought 12 times, won 11,** nine by ko/tko, five knock-outs in the first round. Mayweather hasn't had a 1st round knock-out in more than 20 years.

To put that in perspective, over the most recent 60 months, McGregor has KO'd as many as Mayweather has fought. Mayweather, in the meanwhile, KO'd none.

Mayweather fights at very nearly his walking-around weight. He's rarely been over 160 lbs. McGregor has cut as much as 27 lbs to make 145, so when he steps in the ring with Mayweather, his true weight will be nearer light heavyweight than super welterweight.

At this stage I doubt Mayweather could knock out his baby mama (again). McGregor has never gone more than five rounds, and that only once, but those are 5-minute rounds, vice boxing's 3-minute rounds. How long McGregor can maintain his customary striking tempo with two minutes shorter rounds is an unknown, but there is little question a 12-year younger man will make better use of the minute between rounds. And the momentums of their respective careers are headed in exactly opposite directions.

I'm not predicting that McGregor will win, just that I think it is shortsighted to give him no chance at all. Make no mistake, he earns his living with his fists. The fact that he does so under the rubric of MMA rather than Prizefighting has everything to do with McGregor's notion of what true "fighting" is and not any lack of pugilistic skill. I don't think anyone without intimate knowledge of McGregor's preparations and game plan has a clue how the fight will progress, but there are indications it will be ...unconventional. The one thing I do know (or think I do) is that the longer it goes, the uglier it will become.

**Statistically, undefeated strings in MMA are much rarer/shorter because there are far more ways to lose than in boxing. It bears mention that Fedor Emelianenko's repute as GOAT is based largely on a "mere" 29-fight undefeated streak (compared to Marciano & Mayweather's 49-0). Anderson Silva's 16-win run is the greatest to date in the UFC.


RE: Fedor/Mitrione, the irony is that Matt Mitrione got his dream fight, the fight of a lifetime (against Emelianenko) because his UFC opponent (the soon-to-be Mr. Ronda Rousey) didn't get penalised for an eye poke so severe it broke Mitrione's eye socket. Fedor might have been past his "best if used by" date, but he's only two years older than Mitrione. And who knows how epic the fight might have been if not for the freak double-knockdown.


And, oh, the President of Chechnya has his own MMA league, Akhmat MMA. And he's challenged the UFC to a tournament.

All fights will be to the death. THUNDERDOME!
User avatar StyrbjornSterki
Member
 
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Jul 2010 22:00

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Back to top